Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #31
Nina1
Disney Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
If you noticed an increase in security they wouldn't be doing their job right.
True, true, true!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #32
NYDisneyKid
Expedition Everest Record Holder

I wonder how private we are when using the restrooms.
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #33
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDisneyKid View Post
I wonder how private we are when using the restrooms.
Who cares, I ain't got nothing different from anyone else... Look all they want!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #34
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

There was a case awhile back that was about a workplace. the boss had put cameras in the restrooms to make sure the employees weren't spending a lot of time in there chatting or doing their nails or whatever. Believe the court found that the employer could have cameras in the restrooms as long as they were focused on the sink area and not inside the stalls. But that's a workplace, not sure if there's a case that has to do with a public gathering place. I'd guess it might be similar though.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #35
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Have been here for more than a week, and security bag checks are *hit & miss* as usual. My peeve is that one 'checker' will just barely peek in any and all bags, and his/her line moves so fast. The next to him looks at *everything* and I do mean the whole shebang! Yep, I was fortunate to get in the s-l-o-w lane at Epcot this AM.

Also, *anyone* can stuff their cargo pants/shorts pockets with all their stuff and just waltz right in the no bag line. My dh puts his things in his pockets - I have a small cross body bag with phone, few necessities, and *I* have to go through the bag check! I just don't get their rationale.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #36
mkleinbe
DIS Veteran

I am a bit concerned- the Move it Shake party this afternoon was abruptly cut short and we just went up to the train platform and were informed that it's closed today and tomorrow. Normally, I wouldn't think a thing about either of these but with all that's going on it makes me a bit nervous. None of the Cast Members can give a reason.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #37
mrsltg
The TF wishes you happier days ahead!
Seriously - you may as well drip dry as try to get by with one square!
Miss Sneaker Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
However, the existing bag check they've been doing for years, I think, would have prevented the type of bomb used in Boston. I can't imagine someone getting through that bag check with a bunch of nails, ball bearings, a pressure cooker, and some kind of explosive material. I don't think the amount of nails, ball bearings, etc. used in those bombs would fit in anyone's pocket. Even the most cursory glance inside a backpack would have caught this. But I'd imagine security guards are probably being a little extra diligent in those bag checks the last couple of days.

I feel pretty safe at WDW from that type of weapon.
You should not feel safe from that type of weapon because of Disney's security procedures. Granted, the person may not be able to get into the park with the bomb, but the security area is a choke point. Fourth of July, or Christmas, or New Year's, or whatever other major holiday creates large crowds in one contained area. All a person with ill-intent needs to do is stand there with their backpack and detonate. It's sad but true. All a person needs is a willingness to trade their life for yours. Luckily, the statistics are incredibly in your favor. The horrible attack on Monday was random and unpredictable. Sadly, there are truly bad people in the world. Happily, there is so much more good than there is evil.

So, go to Disney and enjoy your vacation. Be observant in your surroundings and try hard not to worry too much about things that are truly beyond your control.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #38
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Please bear in mind that this is a public forum and there are clearly sensitivities around recent events.

As long as this thread stays non political, respectful to all posters, a degree of latitude will be allowed.

The thread may be moved to the Community board if it strays from Trip Planning relevance.

Thank you

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #39
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainynight
Its always surprised me that Disney doesn't have more security. I would think it would be a high priority target for the crazy mass murders out there.
Then they are doing a good job, since you did not even notice how much security is around; how many cameras are around with people watching at all times; and the secret doors they can come out of. I have seen it twice firsthand security coming of secret doors and stood in line with a security officer on his day off. For work, they dress as tourists and wear wires.

The fact that you are oblivious to it is actually a good thing.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #40
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtum View Post

Agree. The increase in security wants to not be noticed. No need to panic people with a bunch of uniformed guards walking around.
I don't necessarily agree with this. Today we saw a handful of uniformed officers at DHS exit & the K-9 unit was visibly parked in front of MK the other day. To some degree, that type of increased security is for guest reassurance. Skittish guests will be reassured by the presence of additional security, though I agree there is a fine line between that and armed guards.
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #41
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

My $0.02:

Freak accidents and attacks by evil or ill people can happen anytime, anyplace. About a month ago, a sinkhole opened up under a house not far from where I live and swallowed a man alive while he was sleeping. People run red lights and text while driving, causing horrific accidents. You have things like Boston and Aurora. There is very little to stop these kinds of things from happening. So I'm not going to let fear and the "what-ifs" keep me from enjoying life. If I did, I couldn't feel safe anywhere, not even in my own house or while driving to school. I believe that Disney is well aware of the need for security and have no reason to doubt their ability to keep me reasonably safe while I'm there. It's no use worrying about what could happen, so I will continue to visit Disney and won't fret about it.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #42
Maleficent Dragon
šoš A wondrous future lies before you! šoš

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhopping View Post
My $0.02:

Freak accidents and attacks by evil or ill people can happen anytime, anyplace. About a month ago, a sinkhole opened up under a house not far from where I live and swallowed a man alive while he was sleeping. People run red lights and text while driving, causing horrific accidents. You have things like Boston and Aurora. There is very little to stop these kinds of things from happening. So I'm not going to let fear and the "what-ifs" keep me from enjoying life. If I did, I couldn't feel safe anywhere, not even in my own house or while driving to school. I believe that Disney is well aware of the need for security and have no reason to doubt their ability to keep me reasonably safe while I'm there. It's no use worrying about what could happen, so I will continue to visit Disney and won't fret about it.

Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #43
Mommy to Kayla
Mouseketeer

As I was first planning this vacation I started searching for information on the safety of Disney World just because I worry a lot. Honestly I couldn't find much information just the same thoughts from like from people here that they feel its safe, but to me, simple bag checks are not enough. We will be there for 10 days over the 4th and my plan is just not to be at WDW that day for several reasons but it also makes my paranoid heart feel a bit better too. I soooooo wish we lived in a different time and place, I feel bad that our kids have to grow up in this era.
July 1- 5, 2013 - Polynesian Resort, Walt Disneyworld

January 1-5, 2014 - Paradise Pier, Disneyland
July 28-August 2, 2014 - Split stay at Grand Californian Hotel and Disneyland Hotel

(other trips to Disneyland and Disneyland Paris as a kid but it's so much more fun now as a mommy!)
Mommy to Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:25 AM   #44
lizzi6692
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Kayla View Post
As I was first planning this vacation I started searching for information on the safety of Disney World just because I worry a lot. Honestly I couldn't find much information just the same thoughts from like from people here that they feel its safe, but to me, simple bag checks are not enough. We will be there for 10 days over the 4th and my plan is just not to be at WDW that day for several reasons but it also makes my paranoid heart feel a bit better too. I soooooo wish we lived in a different time and place, I feel bad that our kids have to grow up in this era.
Just because bag checks are the only visible thing you see that doesn't mean that is the only security measure Disney takes. Disney prides itself on keeping business operations(even security) as close to invisible as possible to maintain the magic. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. And honestly those type of measures make me feel way safer than the false sense of security given by overly grandiose security measures taken by other places. (*cough*TSA*cough*)

Previous Trips:
September 2010: Caribbean Beach
May 2011: Coronado Springs
December 2011: Pop Century
Next Trip:
December 2013: Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report
lizzi6692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:30 AM   #45
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Kayla View Post
You're right, they're not. Which is why Disney does a lot more than that. It's just not visible to you. PPs have mentioned the large number of plainclothes security officers constantly roaming the parks and hanging around the bag check/turnstiles, keeping an eye out for suspicious behavior. There are hidden cameras all over the place. I'm sure there are plenty of other hidden security measures. Disney is well aware of the target they become by being open to such large crowds, and they take safety very seriously.

And yes, lots of tragedies are happening during this era...but taking a long, hard look at history, is it really drastically worse than any other time? I agree that it's difficult to explain what's happening to young kids and to feel like you can protect them. But somehow I don't think terrible things happen any more or less often now than they ever have. The proliferation of the media may make it feel that way, but I don't think it's really the case.

I don't say any of that to bash you or to imply that your feelings and concerns aren't legitimate. I sympathize and simply wish to offer some reassuring logic

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: