Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Not to the point where the guest can see it, you might see more K9 officers around. They've had random appearances by K9 officers for a long time. They already do a bag check in the parks, and this is the reason why they do it. Unless it's something they can fit into a pocket, it's got to go through the bag check. I don't know much about bombs but there don't seem to be many that can fit into a pocket. And no, I do not think at this time that WDW is going to require all park guests to go through a metal detector.

I know it's required to go through a metal detector if you go to the Halloween Horror Nights at Universal. I don't think it's required for a regular day in their parks. I'm also pretty sure they want to prevent guests from carrying knives at Halloween Horror Night. I don't know what happens if they find someone with a knife. WDW doesn't seem to have the same concern about knives, but HHN is an event carried out mostly in the dark that has a big draw among local teens.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 04-17-2013 at 08:46 AM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #17
zeferjen
Mother Knows Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Olivia View Post
*No bashing just saying....

I live in Boston. The coverage has been 24/7 and it's the most horrific thing most any of us have ever witnessed unless you have been a soldier in active duty. I have friends who were at the finish line who witnessed the most horrendous sights... that isn't hype. With all the coverage most stations had terror experts on and they specifically mentioned major theme parks as being a perfect target. I'm sure Disney is aware of this and even if unnoticed they are at a heightened security. We are leaving for Orlando bright and early tomorrow. Getting through Logan airport will take more time than normal. Boston is such a small city, sadly it seems like everyone knows someone who was affected. We will not allow terror to stop us from living life, but here in Boston there is a great sense of sadness and anger. Needing some Disney magic now more than ever!
I hope a trip to Disney helps you get away from it for a bit. My heart is in Boston this week.

Me Dh Dd 6 Ds5 (he made me pick this avatar!)

My Disneyland Trip Report
zeferjen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #18
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

One advantage of opening the turnstiles early and holding rope drop at Magic Kingdom's ice cream parlor and barber shop (similar or ropeless drop well inside Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom) is so that bag checking and negotiating the turnstiles can start sooner.
Hotel scam! Someone "from the front desk" calls your room phone or knocks on the door, usually after midnight, asking for your credit card number to complete your billing or you will be kicked out. Don't give it to him. It can wait until dawn when you stop by the front desk. This includes Disney's resorts too.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #19
Maleficent Dragon
šoš A wondrous future lies before you! šoš

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainynight View Post
Its always surprised me that Disney doesn't have more security. I would think it would be a high priority target for the crazy mass murders out there.

Disney has A LOT of security - you just don't really see it. What you see at the gate is more of a "facade" to give guests that sense of security. You cannot pick your nose (or seat) in Disney without their security knowing about it. Many of their security team members are plain clothes men and women that blend in the rest of the park. They have cameras everywhere.... in places you would not recognize. This is not limited to the parks; the security is everywhere on their property.

Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #20
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent Dragon View Post
Disney has A LOT of security - you just don't really see it. What you see at the gate is more of a "facade" to give guests that sense of security. You cannot pick your nose (or seat) in Disney without their security knowing about it. Many of their security team members are plain clothes men and women that blend in the rest of the park. They have cameras everywhere.... in places you would not recognize. This is not limited to the parks; the security is everywhere on their property.
Underlined part was mine.

If this is the case, then why does nothing happen when things like strollers get stolen? Obviously if there are cameras everywhere, surely they can know who is doing what, right?

I have no doubt there is a lot of unseen security at Disney, I'm just shocked it's as good as you're all saying it is. Because a lot of stuff gets stolen at Disney with zero consequence.
chimilady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #21
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimilady View Post

If this is the case, then why does nothing happen when things like strollers get stolen? Obviously if there are cameras everywhere, surely they can know who is doing what, right?

I have no doubt there is a lot of unseen security at Disney, I'm just shocked it's as good as you're all saying it is. Because a lot of stuff gets stolen at Disney with zero consequence.
Because its not like a guy with a burglar mask tip toes around the park, looks around to see if he or she is being watched and then swipes it.

Based on the number of strollers that I hear Disney disposes of each year, I think most strollers are not truly stolen.

They are either moved by a CM and the owner doesn't know to look in the area they should have parked it. Someone mistakes a stroller for theirs or someone thinks they are just going to "borrow it" (yes this is stealing) and leaves it somewhere else. But there is not a ring of stroller thieves.

In any of the above scenarios all the security guy would see is someone walking up to a stroller and pushing it away like they owned it.

Oh and don't forget the 4 legged thieves, the squirrels taking stuff.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #22
Maleficent Dragon
šoš A wondrous future lies before you! šoš

Quote:

I don't have a direct answer because I do not know the ins and outs of security, but I do not think stolen strollers are where their focus is. When somebody walks over and takes a stroller, security who may be watching has no idea who that really belongs to. They may have it on camera, but for the time it takes to research, I don't think they really want to spend the time or effort looking for who took it.....and how would they track that person after the fact?

What I understand is that they are looking out for the safety of their guests, making sure children are not abducted, people are not assaulted, etc.

Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
NYDisneyKid
Expedition Everest Record Holder

Quote:

Let me ask you something. When you see someone taking a stroller dont you just "assume" the person(s) are the owners? If security stopped everyone they saw taking a stroller (and may I remind you we are talking hundreds if not thousands) only to find out they are indeed the owners what do you think would happen? waisted time when security could be needed elsewhere.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #24
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Because they aren't looking for stroller thieves. They aren't going to know who parked the stroller in a stroller parking area and/or who the person is picking it up. If they think the stroller pusher is acting suspiciously they might watch them closely.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #25
W.E.D.
Haunted Mansion junkie

I was shopping at one of the stores in AL at MK. There was a guy next to me, who appeared to be shopping as well. Apparently he had maybe placed something in his pocket or under his shirt. OUT OF NOWHERE came three members of security and the guy was quietly and quickly "disappeared".

My point being, as others have stated, that there is security everywhere in the parks. We just don't notice them. Cameras as well. My guide on the KTTK tour said as much. He even pointed one of the cameras out to us in FL.
...hurry back......hurry back......be sure to bring your death certificate.
W.E.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #26
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent Dragon View Post
Disney has A LOT of security - you just don't really see it. You cannot pick your nose (or seat) in Disney without their security knowing about it.
Uh oh ...and I thought I was being pretty clever, now you got me worried

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #27
Arielle22
We have had spirits
I had never heard of it before the Dis
this is how we show love, get used to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Olivia View Post
*No bashing just saying....

I live in Boston. The coverage has been 24/7 and it's the most horrific thing most any of us have ever witnessed unless you have been a soldier in active duty. I have friends who were at the finish line who witnessed the most horrendous sights... that isn't hype. With all the coverage most stations had terror experts on and they specifically mentioned major theme parks as being a perfect target. I'm sure Disney is aware of this and even if unnoticed they are at a heightened security. We are leaving for Orlando bright and early tomorrow. Getting through Logan airport will take more time than normal. Boston is such a small city, sadly it seems like everyone knows someone who was affected. We will not allow terror to stop us from living life, but here in Boston there is a great sense of sadness and anger. Needing some Disney magic now more than ever!
I dropped my sister and her family off at Logan this morning around 940am for a noon flight to Tampa. She went with her in-laws so there was a total of 9 people. She was able to get through security within a half hour of being dropped off.

I don't know what time you are flying but it might not be as bad as you think.
CB 03/92
CSR and BC 08/09
BWI 11/11
OFF SITE 88,94,96,00

Arielle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #28
buzzCMlightyear
PERNER OWNER

Don't forget about all of the other CM's in the park. They might not be "security," but they are watching you...
buzzCMlightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #29
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

I think there may well be heightened security of the type we don't notice, as others have mentioned. Watching out for suspicious behavior, etc.

However, the existing bag check they've been doing for years, I think, would have prevented the type of bomb used in Boston. I can't imagine someone getting through that bag check with a bunch of nails, ball bearings, a pressure cooker, and some kind of explosive material. I don't think the amount of nails, ball bearings, etc. used in those bombs would fit in anyone's pocket. Even the most cursory glance inside a backpack would have caught this. But I'd imagine security guards are probably being a little extra diligent in those bag checks the last couple of days.

I feel pretty safe at WDW from that type of weapon.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #30
dtum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
If you noticed an increase in security they wouldn't be doing their job right.
Agree. The increase in security wants to not be noticed. No need to panic people with a bunch of uniformed guards walking around.

Fort Wilderness Camping - October 1983 (me, DH, DD), June 1993 (me, DH, DD, DS & friends), June 1997 (me, DH, DD, DS), May 2008 (DH and me)
Fort Wilderness Cabins - May 2004 (me, DH, DD, DS, SIL and GS)
Fort Wilderness Camping - June 2009 (me, DH) AND ASMo (SIL, DD, GS, DS)
Windsor Hills (Romancing the Mouse) - June 2011 (me, DH,DD, SIL, GS, DS)
Emerald Island (Puff's Vacation Home-Tropical Retreat) - July 2013 (everyone!)
Windsor Hills - DH and I - November 2014
dtum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: