Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
SEC71
Mouseketeer

Any security changes at WDW?

Do you think Disney will increase guest screening or make any changes to security because of the Boston bombings? Personally, I would be ok with going through a metal detector before entering each park.
SEC71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

If there is, there will not be any public announcement of increased security. One thing that is not a secret, Disney has more Security Officers in costume as "tourist" than they do in costume as "Security Officer".

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
TheRustyScupper
Coordinator: GKTW. Volunteer: Kiwanis & SCORE. Board Member: Make-A-Wish. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty Good Sailing Captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC71 View Post
Do you think Disney will increase guest screening or make any changes to security because of the Boston bombings? Personally, I would be ok with going through a metal detector before entering each park.
1) Might be a little more, but probably not that many additional.
2) Disney doesn't go for all the instant hype that cities/airports do.
3) They need it politically - WDW doesn't.
4) And, do not look for metal detectors, probably ever. *
. . . too time consuming and long-line maker (think TSA x10,000 at opening)
. . . worse, too expensive for the equipment
. . . even worse, too expensive for the additional manpower

* Some guards do carry those hand-wands.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:32 AM   #4
Belle83
DIS Veteran

We were there in December during the Sandy Hook shooting and noticed that bag check took a lot longer the next morning, but that was the only thing we picked up on.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
rainynight
Mouseketeer

Its always surprised me that Disney doesn't have more security. I would think it would be a high priority target for the crazy mass murders out there.
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #6
drummerwife
This princess saves herself!

In Disney now. The only thing I saw different yesterday was a Orange County officer at bag check. Not sure if that was because of the bombing or not. There is no "noticeable" increase in security.

drummerwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Was at MK yesterday, and saw no increase, same as usual

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days

wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
chartle
DIS Veteran

If you noticed an increase in security they wouldn't be doing their job right.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #9
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainynight View Post
Its always surprised me that Disney doesn't have more security. I would think it would be a high priority target for the crazy mass murders out there.
Most of Disney's security is of the unseen variety. A huge part of bag check is slowing down the flood of people going into the parks so that they can look for strange behavior.

Keep in mind too that you are on camera whenever you are in a Disney park. They are watching, always watching.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #10
NYDisneyKid
Expedition Everest Record Holder

FWIW,,,whatever happened in Boston can happen anywhere,,,,including theme parks,,,its just a matter of time.. Hell we never thought 9/11 would ever happen did we?
Old 04-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It is safe to say 90% of Disney security is not seen, for the obvious reasons!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Disney has plenty of security. Most of it you don't see.

If you've ever had an emergency happen in a park, it's the people that "come out of the woodwork" that are mainly security.

They are there, you just don't notice them.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
Princess Olivia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) Might be a little more, but probably not that many additional.
2) Disney doesn't go for all the instant hype that cities/airports do.
3) They need it politically - WDW doesn't.
4) And, do not look for metal detectors, probably ever. *
. . . too time consuming and long-line maker (think TSA x10,000 at opening)
. . . worse, too expensive for the equipment
. . . even worse, too expensive for the additional manpower

* Some guards do carry those hand-wands.
*No bashing just saying....

I live in Boston. The coverage has been 24/7 and it's the most horrific thing most any of us have ever witnessed unless you have been a soldier in active duty. I have friends who were at the finish line who witnessed the most horrendous sights... that isn't hype. With all the coverage most stations had terror experts on and they specifically mentioned major theme parks as being a perfect target. I'm sure Disney is aware of this and even if unnoticed they are at a heightened security. We are leaving for Orlando bright and early tomorrow. Getting through Logan airport will take more time than normal. Boston is such a small city, sadly it seems like everyone knows someone who was affected. We will not allow terror to stop us from living life, but here in Boston there is a great sense of sadness and anger. Needing some Disney magic now more than ever!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
RyMacJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Olivia View Post
*No bashing just saying....

I live in Boston. The coverage has been 24/7 and it's the most horrific thing most any of us have ever witnessed unless you have been a soldier in active duty. I have friends who were at the finish line who witnessed the most horrendous sights... that isn't hype. With all the coverage most stations had terror experts on and they specifically mentioned major theme parks as being a perfect target. I'm sure Disney is aware of this and even if unnoticed they are at a heightened security. We are leaving for Orlando bright and early tomorrow. Getting through Logan airport will take more time than normal. Boston is such a small city, sadly it seems like everyone knows someone who was affected. We will not allow terror to stop us from living life, but here in Boston there is a great sense of sadness and anger. Needing some Disney magic now more than ever!

::Hugs::

Offisite April 1987**Treehouse Villas June 1993**Offsite July 1998**POFQ (DisneyMoon) May 2007**AoA Nemo Suite May 2013

Planning for June or July 2015 at CBR!

Me DH DD6 DD5
RyMacJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #15
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

We are here now. Monday night, we specifically packed our bags lighter to help security out but we have noticed no difference in bag checks. We did notice a K-9 unit parked outside of MK Tues morning, but honestly we had seen a bomb-sniffing dog board a bus at DHS on Monday (before attacks) so I'm not sure it's truly related.

I am acutely aware that Dis is considered a potential target, but I know that they take measures to be as prudent as reasonably possible. Anything can happen anywhere and I am comfortable trusting that WDW has plenty at stake as a motivator to keep their parks safe. (Not to say I'm blithe about my personal safety, just that I'm not in a panic while here.)
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: