DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Tell me this is normal

We decided to move forward in buying DVC.

I would prefer to have enough points available to use on two trips I have planned for 2014 without borrowing points.

I didn't think this was going to be so hard to find. It almost seems like anything in my price range will leave me needing to borrow for at least the spring trip if not both the spring and fall. (if the UY is December and no points coming til 2014)

I have had good luck with communications with the timeshare store and they have been happy to put in two different offers for me. (not full price offers) Both were rejected and before I could come back with a different offer they were sold. Today's was put on the market this morning and is already "pending"

I have seen listings on Fidelity's site I am interested in, but they have not been good at getting back to me...so I am not even able to make an offer.

So is this normal?

Normal to not be able to find something that will allow points to be used in the following year (I consider 2014 next year since we are only 4 months into 2013) without borrowing? If so... does this mean I should just bite the bullet... purchase a contract and then just not use my points in 2013 or 2014 in order to have full points available in 2015? Seems like a long time to be an owner without actually staying. Not to mention I would then need to still book for those trips in 2014..and thus pay oop and not use points (and yes... I realize that I could borrow... but I would then be in the same situation the following year and so at some point will have to skip a years travel or pay out of pocket)

Normal to have non full price offers rejected? If so, should I only offer full and or over the full price?

Normal to not have response from fidelity? If so, should I just plan on using the timeshare store?

I anticipated this not being an over night thing, but I do think I need to adjust my expectations a tad....
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

The resale market has changed over the last month. Disney started marketing the older resorts and buying back contracts. They also raised their direct prices. The renewed attention and resale savings has caused people to buy resale and the result is that resale listings aren't keeping up with demand.

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
The resale market has changed over the last month. Disney started marketing the older resorts and buying back contracts. They also raised their direct prices. The renewed attention and resale savings has caused people to buy resale and the result is that resale listings aren't keeping up with demand.

Should I expect to buy something that i won't use until 2015? (unless I borrow)

I need to adjust my expectations maybe?
Old 04-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Strange. Resale prices were already more than discounted enough to justify purchase over direct. I thought the reason they weren't bid up is because so few people knew about resale. But maybe that wasn't the case after all.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Should I expect to buy something that i won't use until 2015? (unless I borrow)

I need to adjust my expectations maybe?
Under normal conditions I would expect to pay less for a striped contract but it's a sellers market.

This makes it even more important that you fully understand what you are buying, the benefits and the negatives of a DVC ownership.

Bill

Old 04-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 View Post
Strange. Resale prices were already more than discounted enough to justify purchase over direct. I thought the reason they weren't bid up is because so few people knew about resale. But maybe that wasn't the case after all.
Thousands of resale contracts are sold every year so it really isn't a secret.

Bill

Old 04-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #7
lchute1158
Mouseketeer

I think there is kind of a bubble market now... Itll pop like all bubbles. Be patient.

Disney Fantasy January 25, 2014 (45th birthday cruise!), Disney Wonder May 17, 2014 (Weekend Getaway), Disney Dream Feb 24, 2013
Hong Kong Disneyland 2011, WDW x4, DLR CA x100 plus (Annual Pass Holder)(frequent visitor since 1969)
DVC Owner - AUL, VGC, HHI

lchute1158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
intertile
Mouseketeer

There is a lot of flux in resale market right now. Its due to the increase of Rofr, heavy rumours about resale restrictions coming, etc.

At the end of the day, I would ask myself...Am I willing to pay a little more for DVC? Do the math...if you bought a stripped contract and had to rent points to travel, would it be cheaper to pay a little more for a loaded contract? or is it cheaper to rent points and get the contract for the price you want? Take into account also there may be new restrictions coming, that may effect resale contracts in the future. You need to weigh all these and make the best decision for you.

To answer your original question...This is the new normal for the resale market. How long it will last is anyone's guess. As for your question with Fidelity, I wouldn't want to deal with anyone that didn't return my calls. Imagine how they will be if you decide to make an offer. The problem is that you are limiting your choices for contracts. I am sure if you made a search on these boards you would find members that had good experiences with Fidelity. I'd ask them who there agent was, and try contacting those agents directly.

intertile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Under normal conditions I would expect to pay less for a striped contract but it's a sellers market.

This makes it even more important that you fully understand what you are buying, the benefits and the negatives of a DVC ownership.

Bill
Thanks! I think I went into this a bit naive! However, I am learning very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchute1158 View Post
I think there is kind of a bubble market now... Itll pop like all bubbles. Be patient.
I am never good with patience.... but I can see where it will be a necessary tool. I just worry about any new restrictions that could come... makes me want to lock something in now in the hopes that it would be grandfathered in and not subject to possible restrictions that would in the future cause me to not purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intertile View Post
There is a lot of flux in resale market right now. Its due to the increase of Rofr, heavy rumours about resale restrictions coming, etc.
And if those rumors end up being true, do you think my thought of buying now and being exempt from those restrictions is valid? (kinda like how resale before...what is it? Some time in 2011? can still use toward the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection)

Quote:

At the end of the day, I would ask myself...Am I willing to pay a little more for DVC? Do the math...if you bought a stripped contract and had to rent points to travel, would it be cheaper to pay a little more for a loaded contract? or is it cheaper to rent points and get the contract for the price you want? Take into account also there may be new restrictions coming, that may effect resale contracts in the future. You need to weigh all these and make the best decision for you.
I put in an offer today that while it doesn't have points available now... it will by the time I want to use them for 2014. So I did weigh in some of what you talked about.

Quote:

To answer your original question...This is the new normal for the resale market. How long it will last is anyone's guess. As for your question with Fidelity, I wouldn't want to deal with anyone that didn't return my calls. Imagine how they will be if you decide to make an offer. The problem is that you are limiting your choices for contracts. I am sure if you made a search on these boards you would find members that had good experiences with Fidelity. I'd ask them who there agent was, and try contacting those agents directly.
I actually had a very good conversation with the fidelity agent today and while initial communication has been rough... the help she provided was much better than the help I received from the other agents. The offer I put in was through her.. .and she was good at suggesting not only the contract to go for that she thought would be receptive to an offer (apparently they have quite a few sellers that are just not responding to any offers) as well as offering a way to present it that would look good to both the seller and I.

Now we will see how long it takes for her to get back to me on if the offer was accepted or not.....
Old 04-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

And... The offer was accepted!

Not sure if it will pass rofr... But we will see. 230 points at okw $60 pp
Old 04-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Congrats...good luck with ROFR
Old 04-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
MickeyFan612
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:

Congrats- glad Fidelity came through for you-)

They really are slammed right now- hopefully things slow down a bit
so they can take a breather-)
MickeyFan612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #14
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
Congrats...good luck with ROFR
thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyFan612 View Post
Congrats- glad Fidelity came through for you-)

They really are slammed right now- hopefully things slow down a bit
so they can take a breather-)
Thanks so much. I am glad that we finally connected because she was great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Yay! So happy for you
Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #15
lodge
DIS Veteran

Congratulations! Best of luck with ROFR. Glad you got an offer through... it's been tough lately!
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: