Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Main Street Matilda
Mouseketeer

How to handle the day of a resort hop

I am so surprised that I'm stressing over this - but we are resort hopping for the first time during our next trip to WDW and I'm just not used to planning a "resort hopping" day. We are going from FW to Wilderness Lodge. I usually plan a day where we get to the park early and stay through dinner. I just don't know if it makes sense to check into the Wilderness Lodge first then head to the parks - or go to the parks and just check in when when we get back.

Need the experts to help me out.

1985- Off Property
1986 - Off Property
2002 - Yacht Club
2004 - Off Property (Vistana Village)
2006 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
2007 - Saratoga Springs
2009 - Kidani Village
2010 - Fort Wilderness
2011 - Bay Lake Towers
2013 - Fort Wilderness then Old Key West
2014 - 7-day Disney Cruise!
Main Street Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Main Street Matilda View Post
I am so surprised that I'm stressing over this - but we are resort hopping for the first time during our next trip to WDW and I'm just not used to planning a "resort hopping" day. We are going from FW to Wilderness Lodge. I usually plan a day where we get to the park early and stay through dinner. I just don't know if it makes sense to check into the Wilderness Lodge first then head to the parks - or go to the parks and just check in when when we get back.

Need the experts to help me out.
I would probably hop on the boat to WL and check in first before going over to MK. I always feel better once I check in. I want to make sure they don't give my room away.

Next up: WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Main Street Matilda
Mouseketeer

That's actually my issue - I feel much better once I've checked in. Thinking I should just do an evening at one of the parks after check-in, but there are certain parks that my family prefers by day.

1985- Off Property
1986 - Off Property
2002 - Yacht Club
2004 - Off Property (Vistana Village)
2006 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
2007 - Saratoga Springs
2009 - Kidani Village
2010 - Fort Wilderness
2011 - Bay Lake Towers
2013 - Fort Wilderness then Old Key West
2014 - 7-day Disney Cruise!
Main Street Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
I would probably hop on the boat to WL and check in first before going over to MK. I always feel better once I check in. I want to make sure they don't give my room away.
Agreed. A split stay between FW and WL would probably be one of the easiest as far as going from one to the other. Just get on the boat to WL, check in (it takes maybe 15 minutes at most), and then get on a boat going to MK or a bus to another park. If your room isn't ready yet: no worries since they can text or call you when it is, and it'll be there when you're done with the park for the day.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
HairyChest
Mouseketeer

Same dilemma here. Im planing to stay at the wilderness lodge and then switch to the polynesian. I was thinking of doing an online check in for the polynesian which would hopefully have our room ready in the morning instead of waiting until 3 for regular check in time. Then after check in , in the morning id hop onto the boat to the magic kingdom.
So for me its based on when my room is ready. And what time my family decides to wakeup! Late risers.
HairyChest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyChest View Post
Same dilemma here. Im planing to stay at the wilderness lodge and then switch to the polynesian. I was thinking of doing an online check in for the polynesian which would hopefully have our room ready in the morning instead of waiting until 3 for regular check in time. Then after check in , in the morning id hop onto the boat to the magic kingdom.
So for me its based on when my room is ready. And what time my family decides to wakeup! Late risers.
Sorry, online check-in won't matter as far as when the room is available. That depends more on when others are checking out. All online check-in does is allow you to skip some of the tedium involved with regular check-in. You still have to go to the resort to complete the check-in, even if you do the online check-in. You just go to a different, slightly shorter line.

But even though your room may not be ready in the morning, you can still check-in as early as you like.

If it were me, the first thing in the morning (even if you sleep in) I'd boat (or bus) to MK from WL, then boat over to the Polynesian, check in, then boat or monorail to MK for the day. Your room would be ready when you get back, probably with your luggage in it already. Since Poly is just down the street from WL, a cab ride is super quick and not very expensive, if you don't want to get into the whole transferring at MK thing.

Disney will move your luggage for you, including holding it at the Poly until your room is ready.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
Sorry, online check-in won't matter as far as when the room is available. That depends more on when others are checking out. All online check-in does is allow you to skip some of the tedium involved with regular check-in. You still have to go to the resort to complete the check-in, even if you do the online check-in. You just go to a different, slightly shorter line.

But even though your room may not be ready in the morning, you can still check-in as early as you like.

If it were me, the first thing in the morning (even if you sleep in) I'd boat (or bus) to MK from WL, then boat over to the Polynesian, check in, then boat or monorail to MK for the day. Your room would be ready when you get back, probably with your luggage in it already. Since Poly is just down the street from WL, a cab ride is super quick and not very expensive, if you don't want to get into the whole transferring at MK thing.

Disney will move your luggage for you, including holding it at the Poly until your room is ready.
Online checkin is now waaaay out..not the regular 10 days. I think I checked in 60 days prior to my resort stay. And it gives you options for room requests, and then also offers an option that negates those previous ones...you can check off room ready for any room and forget any room requests made. That way, they can give you a room fairly quickly, while others may prefer to wait for their requests to be fulfilled.
So, yes, doing online checkin can help you get a room sooner...at least now that they have changed the way it works.

In any case....be prepared for bags to take awhile to get to the new resort. If your family wants to sleep in, I would just get myself over to the new resort and get checked in. THen, they can get up whenever.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
disneyfan246
Earning My Ears

I would agree that checking in first would be a good idea.
disneyfan246 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: