Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #61
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."
 
Girimama33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 3,729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girimama33 View Post
I think you have that backwards...Soarin' is the ride that is indeed closed.
That is really good news. Hopefully someone who is in the parks AND has gone on the ride can confirm this is taking place. No wait times have been reported on Touring Plans as of yet, but they are now showing it open and CS offline.
__________________
Me ~ DH ~ GiRi (5) ~
Girimama33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #62
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,693

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatetown View Post
As of today, the following Disneyland attractions are closed: Roger Rabbitt Cartoon Spin, Space Mt., Big Thunder (already scheduled thru Oct.), Davy Crocket Canoes, Moments with Lincoln,

At California Adventure Park: California Sreamin, Soarin, Goofy's Sky School,



Very little communication coming out of Disney at this point. This would not be a good time to be visiting the parks.
I'm curious where you are getting your info? A friend just posted she and her son just rode Goofy's and said at 11am, that Soarin was up.

As for DL, BTMRR was a planned closure, Canoes don't run on weekdays, and Lincoln was a planned closure.

As far as rides in ToonTown, it only opened an hour ago. So, did you pass by and see it closed?
Malcon10t is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #63
sherilaine
DIS Veteran
 
sherilaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,784

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 View Post
I have been reading about this topic for days as we head down in 2 weeks. Originally I was pretty disappointed and frustrated but then I reflected on past trips and anyone that's been to Disney can attest, rides are down ALL the time regardless of what refurbs are posted. I can't tell you how many time Goofy's Sky School has been down. Splash mountain is the same..... I could go on and on. But you know what, while I was disappointed at the time, it's never wrecked our trip. Too many other things to enjoy!
I completely agree - that day to day stuff is normal - it is the fact they had to be threatened with a quarter of a million dollars in fines before they did something about employee safety - or at least is how it appears. I know they are saying this is all being done voluntarily but it's quite convenient timing.
__________________
DH and Me DD (12) DS (10) Q
Disneyland - HOJO Kids Suite March 2012, May 2013 and March 2014
May 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3110490
March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #64
700
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 11

I should have also commented above that although there are some rides affected by the OSH report, many of the other closures may likely be nothing more than a coincidence. People just notice it more given whats been happening.
700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #65
woody74
Mouseketeer
 
woody74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 102

Both Touring Plans and Mousewait are showing wait times for Soarin' currently.
woody74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #66
Gatordude
Earning My Ears
 
Gatordude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 72

Anything mechanical that runs 8-10 hrs a day non stop WILL break down even with the best PM program in place. Little things such as a .35 bearing can cause a breakdown/shutdown.

Hence, the refurb of BTMRR happening right now. I would bet you they are replacing/restoring ALL critical components so the attraction can run flawless with little to no downtime when it comes back up.
__________________
Myself....
My DW
DD, 17
DD, 14
DS, 10

And, they all love DISNEY !!!

Quote:
It all started with a mouse....
Gatordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #67
T0rrent
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 257

Yes, some of the closures can be unrelated. When we were down there last week, one of the two screens for Soarin was down due to someone losing their lunch.

Screaming was also down one of the days and people had to be evacuated so it's possible the closure now could be due to that.
T0rrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #68
arichau
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 85

This is on the front page of micechat.com

April 19, 2013: Cal/OSHA closes California Screamin’ Thursday brought good news and bad news for Disneyland's ride closure saga. First the good news; DOSH inspectors arrived at Soarin' on Thursday morning and blessed the temporary fall protection proposals for maintenance workers, and Soarin' should be reopening within days. The bad news; Space Mountain's fixes will take much longer, and April visitors shouldn't count on Space Mountain being open. More bad news, after the DOSH inspectors finished at Soarin' they paid a surprise visit to California Screamin' and demanded to look at several elevated evacuation platforms throughout the track. California Screamin' was shut down suddenly by DOSH at 1:45 P.M. on Thursday afternoon and was kept closed for the rest of Thursday per the inspectors findings. DCA's managers scrambled to rewrite evacuation and maintenance procedures for the big coaster on Thursday night, and then train those new procedures to all CM's for a hopeful reopening on Friday.
arichau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #69
sherilaine
DIS Veteran
 
sherilaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,784

Quote:
Originally Posted by arichau View Post
This is on the front page of micechat.com

April 19, 2013: Cal/OSHA closes California Screamin’ Thursday brought good news and bad news for Disneyland's ride closure saga. First the good news; DOSH inspectors arrived at Soarin' on Thursday morning and blessed the temporary fall protection proposals for maintenance workers, and Soarin' should be reopening within days. The bad news; Space Mountain's fixes will take much longer, and April visitors shouldn't count on Space Mountain being open. More bad news, after the DOSH inspectors finished at Soarin' they paid a surprise visit to California Screamin' and demanded to look at several elevated evacuation platforms throughout the track. California Screamin' was shut down suddenly by DOSH at 1:45 P.M. on Thursday afternoon and was kept closed for the rest of Thursday per the inspectors findings. DCA's managers scrambled to rewrite evacuation and maintenance procedures for the big coaster on Thursday night, and then train those new procedures to all CM's for a hopeful reopening on Friday.
Thanks very much for this update.
__________________
DH and Me DD (12) DS (10) Q
Disneyland - HOJO Kids Suite March 2012, May 2013 and March 2014
May 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3110490
March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #70
chocolatetown
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11

Updates on Ride Closures = Even More Closures.....but some reopenings

The latest from inside the parks: Mickey's Fun Wheel and Radiator Springs Racers are closed. This is in addition to California Screamin!

The good news (at least for now) is that Soarin has been reopened. This really is starting to look and feel like a haphazard approach from Disney to inspect its attractions.

Space Mt. remains closed across the street at Disneyland Park........though Roger Rabbitt has reopened (at least for now).
chocolatetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #71
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran
 
mikedoyleblogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 971

Ok everyone, hands up and repeat after me:

"I will never, ever again bandwagon on a comment thread about how bad WDW ride maintenance is compared to DLR ride maintenance."

This ongoing saga has really tarnished some of the shine off of my longstanding warm feelings about Disneyland, you know?
__________________
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | Moving to L.A. 2015!



mikedoyleblogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #72
DarthMole
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Auburn, CA
Posts: 1,015

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedoyleblogger View Post
Ok everyone, hands up and repeat after me:

"I will never, ever again bandwagon on a comment thread about how bad WDW ride maintenance is compared to DLR ride maintenance."

This ongoing saga has really tarnished some of the shine off of my longstanding warm feelings about Disneyland, you know?
Ride maintenance and safety apparatus / procedures are two totally different things. These closures are not due to a lack of maintenance.
DarthMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #73
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran
 
mikedoyleblogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMole View Post
Ride maintenance and safety apparatus / procedures are two totally different things. These closures are not due to a lack of maintenance.
Not necessarily. DLR choosing not to apply the changess requested by Cal/OSHA in November to me is a lack of maintenance, just not regarding show maintenance. Either way, to me it just signals a laissez faire attitude, and they're usually not confined to one responsibility area.
__________________
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | Moving to L.A. 2015!



mikedoyleblogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #74
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,693

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatetown View Post
Space Mt. remains closed across the street at Disneyland Park........though Roger Rabbitt has reopened (at least for now).
You've been reporting rides as down when they simply haven't opened (examples- RRTTS which doesn't open until an hour after park opening, Canoes which don't run Mon-Fri in non peak months) or when they were a planned for months closure (Lincoln...)
Malcon10t is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #75
jenergy
I'm a human garbage disposal
 
jenergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedoyleblogger View Post
Not necessarily. DLR choosing not to apply the changess requested by Cal/OSHA in November to me is a lack of maintenance, just not regarding show maintenance. Either way, to me it just signals a laissez faire attitude, and they're usually not confined to one responsibility area.
Or to put it another way, Disney has not maintained their rides to the current OSHA guidelines. OSHA's guidelines are very easily accessible and companies are expected to always be within these guidelines. OSHA doesn't have an In N Out secret menu that they fine companies off of.
__________________
Past trips:
~DLR March 2009~ ~DLR Halloween Time 2010~ ~DLR Halloween Time 2011~ ~WDW Nov 2012~
jenergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.