Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
OnTheRoadAgain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
Is it true that space mountain will be closed through Memorial Day?

I did not know it took that long to install guard rails on two platforms, swinging doors and place fire extinguishers in proper locations.
Yes, and I just checked the DL Park Hours refurb calendar. SM is off the list after April 30 and the list goes back to its previously planned refurbs. It goes without saying that it appears that DL priorities are to be safe and up and running soon.

edit: They must be updating the calendar as I typed this note, because it has changed again, and SM is off the refurb list entirely, in fact everything appears to be back to the old, planned refurbs, and maybe a few rotating ones thrown in. Could it be?
Old 04-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
profa
Mouseketeer

The worst part I think would be w/ these marquee rides down you will have much longer lines in the rest of the park. At least it is a slower time. This is probably the final week of spring break. I know many schools are out this week and have friends there. That would be disappointing to have so many rides closed.
profa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #18
yoyo93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheRoadAgain View Post

Yes, and I just checked the DL Park Hours refurb calendar. SM is off the list after April 30 and the list goes back to its previously planned refurbs. It goes without saying that it appears that DL priorities are to be safe and up and running soon.

edit: They must be updating the calendar as I typed this note, because it has changed again, and SM is off the refurb list entirely, in fact everything appears to be back to the old, planned refurbs, and maybe a few rotating ones thrown in. Could it be?
Yeah I jut checked the calendar myself. It's completely gone, and soarin is too! I wonder if they're just trying to mess with us haha. It would be great news if they open the rides though
Old 04-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #19
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo93 View Post
Yeah I jut checked the calendar myself. It's completely gone, and soarin is too! I wonder if they're just trying to mess with us haha. It would be great news if they open the rides though
Holy cow...you're right! I just looked myself and the Space Mtn & Soarin' refurbs are no longer listed.
VandVsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #20
flightdave82
Mouseketeer

THe calendar now says "pending" for both SM & Soaring

Past Trips
2011: WDW Swan & Dolphin
2007: WDW Marriot Downtown Orlando
1994: WDW Offsite
flightdave82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #21
Travelingdad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatetown View Post
The official word from Disneyland at the moment is that both attractions are closed through May. However, this is subject to change........of course!

Some sources online indicate that both attractions will be closed through July - others indicate that they will reopen as early as next week. I do not believe either is accurate.

For now, Disney is still trying to get its arms around the timeframe it will take to get these rides up to speed to meet OSHA regulatory requirements. Since this is unknown as of today, Disney is lowering expectations by keeping both attractions closed until further notice.
They gotta do what they gotta do but we are keeping fingers crossed all gets reopened in time for our first visit to DL early June.

Travelingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #22
yoyo93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdave82 View Post
THe calendar now says "pending" for both SM & Soaring
This is really odd. So far I'm only seeing it until the 24th of April, but they may be in the process of updating the calendar. Are they putting "pending" because they have no idea when it will open, or what?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #23
carisa81
Mouseketeer

Oh gosh, we will be in the parks on April 23, 24, and 25th. I so hope that Soarin is back!! My 4 yr old twins were going to do this for the first time. I'll be sad.

DD-4 DS-4

Disneyland as a Child~countless times.

Disneyland as an Adult~2000-PPH, 2007-Hyatt Regency Orange County, 2008-GC Premium DTD View, 2009-GC DTD View, 2010-GC Pool View, 2011-GC Premium DTD View, 2012-DLH Pool View, 2013-GC Premium DTD View.

Hoping to go this June, 2014!
carisa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #24
thankudrivethru
Mouseketeer

i thought they were closed due to safety issues?
thankudrivethru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #25
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo93 View Post
This is really odd. So far I'm only seeing it until the 24th of April, but they may be in the process of updating the calendar. Are they putting "pending" because they have no idea when it will open, or what?
Exactly. They are no longer in control of when the rides will reopen. They have to have OSHA sign off before they can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thankudrivethru View Post
i thought they were closed due to safety issues?
Yes. Employee safety, the rides themselves can run without any issues but the nightly maintenance can not be performed, which would cause the rides to be unsafe.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #26
texasteacher35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTso View Post
We leave the last weekend in April for our Disneyland trip.
Mostly bummed about Soarin' but you never know. Things change all the time. It could be open by then.

Space Mtn---I skip that anyway

There are what, about a thousand other things you can do at the parks? It's no big deal in the grand scheme of things. For me, it makes no sense to get all worked up about a few rides being down, no matter how "big" they are.
You will have fun anyway.

If you focus on what you're NOT able to do, it will taint your entire experience. Go, enjoy, it's Disneyland, a happy place.
It just stinks to fly all the way to Cali and a bunch of the bigger rides will be out. We live in Chicago and this is our first trip to DL. We are WDW vets and go many times a year to FL. It's not a big deal to people that go there all the time- I was hoping to max out my 7 nights at DL, since there are only 2 parks versus 4 in WDW. That's all.

DL GCV 4/2013...WLV 6/2013...SSR 7/2013
JANUARY 2012- BCV, DECEMBER 2012- SSR, AUGUST 2012- BWV, JUNE 2012-Our 1st Star Wars Weekend- BLT, 3/2012- BLT, 1/2012- BCV, 11/2011- WBC, MAY 2011/ CBR Pirate Room, 11/2010- CR Tower, 7/2010- YACHT CLUB, 11/2009- CBR Pirate Room, 10/2001- GF
texasteacher35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
chocolatetown
Earning My Ears

Space Mountain and Soarin have reopened......for now

As of Thursday 10:30 AM PST, Soarin and Space Mt. have reopened!

However, I am told that this may be short-lived. Several online sources indicate that there is a meeting with OSHA (hence the "pending" closure status on Disneyland.com website for the next week) at some point early next week which will determine whether these rides remain open or close for a significant amount of time.

Rumors include Space Mt. will be closed through July, to the rides will remain open for the balance of the calendar year.

If space mt. remains open, the real question then shifts to the Matterhorn - and when its planned 2-week refurbishment/testing will resume.
chocolatetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #28
woody74
Mouseketeer

I can live without Space, but I'm really hoping that Soarin' will be open on Tuesday, as that's the day we'll be in DCA. My sister has never ridden it, and my son just rode it for the first time in WDW last Sept and loved it.
woody74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #29
flightdave82
Mouseketeer

What's the deal with the Matterhorn?
When was it originally planned for the 2 week refurb and could it possibly be down the 1st 2weeks of May?

I was orginally upset about the possible SM being closed for our upcoming trip. But now hearing that if SM does re-open that it will cause the matterhorn to close for refurb will be very dissapointing. Our 1st time to DL and we have never ridden the Matterhon. Even though DL SM is diff than WDW's, I would rather to able to experience the matterhorn instead of SM.

Apparently on this DL trip I can't have my cake and eat it too!

Past Trips
2011: WDW Swan & Dolphin
2007: WDW Marriot Downtown Orlando
1994: WDW Offsite
flightdave82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #30
chocolatetown
Earning My Ears

Space Mountain and Soarin Closed.........Again

Inexplicably, Space Mt. and Soarin are closed again today...........after being open at the beginning of the day and experiencing rather mild (even for this time of year) wait times.

I agree with my colleague in this post that the Matterhorn is the real draw at Disney CA - since no other ride like it exists in FL (I don't count Expedition Everest as comparable).

I have spoken to Disney this week and right now the ONLY reason Matterhorn is open (was originally scheduled for maintenance this week and next week - April) is due to the Space Mt. drama with OSHA. There was a few days where Space, Matterhorn, and Big Thunder were ALL closed simultaneously. This was met with some long and loud complaints from visitors who cried out "where's the coasters?" and the like.

Now the word of mouth is that once Space reopens, Matterhorn will close (expected in May) for the best part of 2 weeks to resume its maintenance.

We shall see.
chocolatetown is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: