Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #61
iluveeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
my fear with the coming home flight== you need to check in at the 24 hour mark== which will be about 2:30pm for us. I will be in a park at that time How will we check in?
DH and I need to check in at 8pm for our AT flight through SWA our last night at WDW, so we will definitely be in a park somewhere too - I have taken my confirmation to guest services at MK the night before our flight on other trips, and they are more than happy to use their computer to check you in - so whatever park you are at, just go to Guest Services near the front gate and you should be fine! You can print your boarding passes when you check your luggage for your flight the next day.
iluveeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #62
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
my fear with the coming home flight== you need to check in at the 24 hour mark== which will be about 2:30pm for us. I will be in a park at that time How will we check in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluveeyore View Post
DH and I need to check in at 8pm for our AT flight through SWA our last night at WDW, so we will definitely be in a park somewhere too - I have taken my confirmation to guest services at MK the night before our flight on other trips, and they are more than happy to use their computer to check you in - so whatever park you are at, just go to Guest Services near the front gate and you should be fine! You can print your boarding passes when you check your luggage for your flight the next day.
Or if you have a smartphone you can check in on your phone. I've also called people at home and asked them to check in for me.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #63
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
Or if you have a smartphone you can check in on your phone. I've also called people at home and asked them to check in for me.
no smart phone and everyone in my family will be with me.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #64
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

After reading this thread (thanks everyone!). I am seriously considering changing my flight to MCO to a Southwest via Airtran flight. The flight schedule is so much better. We always do 24 hr check in with SW anyway for flight to MCO. We would do the same with this flight. No bag fees as it is waived when booked with SW. We do EBCI for flight home. This is where I am not ready to do the Southwest via Airtran. We'll see what happens!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #65
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
no smart phone and everyone in my family will be with me.
Sorry, by home I meant "friends" "siblings" ....
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #66
antree
DIS Veteran

After reading this thread it helped me make the decision. I will not book Airtran. We always flew SW but with this merge happening the flight choices for SW are few to none with straight flights. I have heard not so good news about Airtran but still was unsure how to book, but after reading these post, SW is the way or driving will be the next way.
Thanks for the info.
antree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #67
tyzzle
Mouseketeer

Bump for sharing more info...thanks everyone

Me Hubby Delilah(5) Delores (2)
tyzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #68
2binak
DVC Owner

So glad I found this thread before booking our tickets today. We had no idea that SW & Airtran still operated so differently. Since we're flying with a young child from MCO on the Sat before Thanksgiving, we decided to use another airport in our area that offers non-stop flights operated only by SW. It means a 1+ hr drive each way instead of a 15 min. drive, but the peace of mind will be worth it.

11/90 Offsite, 11/97 PO, 5/99 DL, 1/00 CS, 1/04 PC, 12/05 SSR, 5/07 AKL, 10/08 SSR, 5/09 POFQ, 11/09 AKV Kidani, 11/10 AKV Kidani, 10/11 BWV, 10/12 BWV, 11/13 AKV Kidani, 5/14 BLT, 11/14 BWV
2binak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #69
MushyMushy
Marseeya Here!
Drama Magnet
I only make exceptions for chocolate Mickey heads
I'm a big pie freak
I'll always laugh myself silly over the flag pole incident.

Okay, just thought I'd give another update on our trip back.

I checked in right at the 24 hour mark and our party was fairly split up. The seats were 11F, 12E, 14C, 14D, and 14E (14 C is across the aisle from 14D). The 4-year old and her mom were 14D & E. The rest of us didn't mind being split up like that at all and again, nobody else seemed to have any problems on this flight -- at least that I could hear.

Had the 4-year old not been with her mom, however, that might have ended up being a problem. She was worn out at this point and had a bit of a hissy about being seated next to a strange man. She kept saying loudly, "Why are you making me sit by a MAN??" so her mom switched with her and she kept saying "Why are you making me sit here??" The guy said to her, "Well I'm not too thrilled sitting by you either." I know it sounds really bad, but it was actually pretty amusing to everyone nearby. I offered to trade the guy with my aisle seat but he said he was happy with where he was, so no harm no foul, I guess.

As the plane started backing away from the gate, the little one announced very loudly that she had to poop, which horrified her poor mom and made people laugh even louder. Thankfully she settled down and was a joy the rest of the flight.

Now what makes me curious is, aren't the seats behind business class usually reserved for AirTran customers wanting to pay the $12 seat fee? I honestly didn't expect to be sitting so close to the front like that. I'm so happy we were, but it was a surprise.

Anyway, what I took from this experience was, if I'm traveling with adults, I'd definitely do it again. It's not a big deal to split us up. But traveling with a little one? No. I'd either do Southwest through the SW site, or AirTran through the AT site. It's not worth taking the chance of being separated from a young one, especially if you don't know how they'll react.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #70
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushyMushy View Post
Now what makes me curious is, aren't the seats behind business class usually reserved for AirTran customers wanting to pay the $12 seat fee? I honestly didn't expect to be sitting so close to the front like that. I'm so happy we were, but it was a surprise.
Yes and those are the seats we always book (through AirTran) however many are unwilling to pay the extra fee and they go unreserved until the 24 hr mark. That is why you were able to get them. Glad it worked out for you!
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge
Disneylvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #71
tyzzle
Mouseketeer

Bump

Me Hubby Delilah(5) Delores (2)
tyzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #72
Poohlovr
Still SSB's archrival!
It's a sad day when you thank your friends for boo-ing you
Apparently they don't know the power of the Cheerleaders

Just checked in for our SW/AirTran flight for tomorrow morning.

There are 3 of us traveling-my husband, our 5 yr old grandson and me. I bought EBCI For the SW portion.

Our boarding numbers for SW are A23-A25, so great there! The AirTran assigned seats are 11D & F and 12 C (across the aisle and, obviously, one row back from the others. The 5 yr old was the one given the odd seat. I wonder if it's because he has a different last name than us?

As of right now, there are plenty of rows of 3 across (including row 12-go figure) but that may change when AirTran check-in gets to 24 hrs (it's the second leg of our flight).

We'll ask if there are 3 seats together tomorrow. If not, hubby will take the odd seat, since it's an aisle, which he prefers.

Poohlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #73
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

Checked in last night via southwest for our flight on AirTran tonight PHL to MCO. Got 11A and 11C. It's a smaller 2x3 plane so there is no B and we are right next to each other at the front of the plane.
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #74
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

We'll be taking AirTran for the first time Nov 30th. It is a 24 hour ahead of time check in, like SWA is. But instead of getting an A, B or C assignment, you get a seat assignment? They don't let you pick, do they?

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #75
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
We'll be taking AirTran for the first time Nov 30th. It is a 24 hour ahead of time check in, like SWA is. But instead of getting an A, B or C assignment, you get a seat assignment? They don't let you pick, do they?
right-
if you book through the AirTran site for the same flight you can choose your seat for an added fee- but if you book through Sw you can't choose and are assigned a seat at the 24 hr mark. Supposedly you can try to change seats once you are at the gate. We are flying in Oct, AirTran booked through SW on points I am hoping against hope that we will be together or at least close. My 12, and 10 yr olds should be Ok but the 6 yr old might be a bit upset if she isn't by one of us BUT I knew the possibilities going in so we will try to be prepared.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: