Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #31
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

lurkernj oh i remember that thread, you handled the situation with grace.

andrews dad that is encouraging to hear. I was told by both SWA & AT customer service that we wouldn't receive seat assignments until we check in at airport.

also told we couldn't use AT credits to upgrade to business class either @ 24 hr mark or at the gate. maybe that'll work too!

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #32
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

Just curious because my DD is flying them next month. Does she have to log on 24 hours prior for the flight home to get her seat assignments? How does that affect using RAC for printing her BP and checking her bags. I was surprised that she chose them to fly out of BWI, normally she flys SW.

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #33
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
lurkernj oh i remember that thread, you handled the situation with grace.

Lol, thanks, I'm still handling it since they are not responsive to my latest concern and my grace is deteriorating

I Can't BELIEEEEVE I Did This!!!! An Oct 2014 Pre-trip report

All the makings of a Disaster, Sept 2012

Split stay: Yacht Club/Pop Oct 1-Oct 8 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)
lurkernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #34
butsy113
AKV Owner

I always fly SW and have never had an issue. People are always accommodating, and trade seats to help with kids if necessary. It sounds like the problem has been that each airline is doing their own thing. People flying AT have seat assignments and therefore shouldn't have to change seats, but people booked through SW do their pick a seat thing. A lot would be solved if AT stopped assigning seats on future flights, so everyone would be seated in the same manner.

I am looking at booking through SW for an AT flight MCO to STL. It gives us a few more hours in the parks! I'm feeling kind of nervous about it after reading this. Has anyone used EBCI on an AT flight? Wondering if this would make a difference?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #35
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by butsy113 View Post
I always fly SW and have never had an issue. People are always accommodating, and trade seats to help with kids if necessary. It sounds like the problem has been that each airline is doing their own thing. People flying AT have seat assignments and therefore shouldn't have to change seats, but people booked through SW do their pick a seat thing. A lot would be solved if AT stopped assigning seats on future flights, so everyone would be seated in the same manner.

I am looking at booking through SW for an AT flight MCO to STL. It gives us a few more hours in the parks! I'm feeling kind of nervous about it after reading this. Has anyone used EBCI on an AT flight? Wondering if this would make a difference?
If you book an Airtran flight through SWA you are assigned a seat. You don't board and pick a seat like on SWA.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #36
tyzzle
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Yep you cannot purchase ebci. You do not pick your seat on the airtran flight. Airtran will randomly assign seats to your family. You can attempt to change them at the airport it they are scattered but there are no guarantees your family will be seated together

Me Hubby Delilah(5) Delores (2)
tyzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #37
butsy113
AKV Owner

So If u buy through SW your seats are assigned at the gate? Bought through AT they are assigned when bought? I usually buy Early Bird for our return flight, would this even help?

TIA! Trying to get a handle on this merger before I book
Old 04-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #38
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkernj View Post
My boarding pass did not have a seat number, I was told I would be assigned at the gate. When I got to the gate, I was not asked, I was told. I don't believe they asked for volunteers as there were only 3 other people there, but there was a high school trip that apparently had the rest of the flight full.

How far in advance did you book your flight?

A person I work with-- booked AT through Southwest in February for flights this past week.
I checked the status of the flight a few days before they were scehduled to go- the flight was fully booked.
When I checked them in at exactly the 24 hour mark there was seat assignments. they had boarding passes next to each other. When they arrived at the gate they were bumped off that flight and put on another flight. No compensation- no say in the matter. They arrived home 3 hours later then what they were supposed to.

--
this worries me. We have a family of 16 members. We are booking flights as soon as they come available. I am thinking the longer you wait the more your chances of being bumped happens, The AT flight is really a lot cheaper then a SW flight-- but it the grand scheme of things-- what will we be saving in the long run
Old 04-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #39
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So If u buy through SW your seats are assigned at the gate? Bought through AT they are assigned when bought? I usually buy Early Bird for our return flight, would this even help?

You are given choices of a SW flight or an AT flight.

IF you book an airtran flight-- people book that flight directly on the Airtran site and pay for their seats. The flight that is sold on SW site--- you get whats left over.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #40
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If you book through Airtan you have the option of paying to pick your seat when you book or waiting and picking it for free when you check in online. If you book through SWA you are assigned a seat when you check in online.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #41
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyzzle View Post
Yep you cannot purchase ebci. You do not pick your seat on the airtran flight. Airtran will randomly assign seats to your family. You can attempt to change them at the airport it they are scattered but there are no guarantees your family will be seated together
The bolded part is what bothers me. It seems like SWA and AT could work together and offer SWA customers the same ability to pick and pay for their seats when part of their itinerary includes an AT flight.

As I said earlier, I always pay for my seats on AT because I want my family to sit together. I was never asked to move to accomodate another family with children, but in the past, I would not have moved. They had the same option as I did to pay for their seats so they could sit together and they chose not to do so. I will not surrender a seat that I paid extra for so that someone else can avoid the same fee. But now, under this new arrangement, that person may not have had the option which would make me more likely to move. I just don't like the whole scenario...even if it is just DH and I, we'd like to sit together and the fact that we have no say in the situation if part of our itinerary is on an AT flight just rubs me the wrong way.

Add to that the fact that since our itinerary could include two different airlines, we will have to check in twice. Unfortunately, the layover is on our flight home so we will have to remember to check in at WDW. Thank goodness for apps! I'll just have to hope I have adequate service and signal when it is time to check in.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #42
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice View Post
The bolded part is what bothers me. It seems like SWA and AT could work together and offer SWA customers the same ability to pick and pay for their seats when part of their itinerary includes an AT flight.

As I said earlier, I always pay for my seats on AT because I want my family to sit together. I was never asked to move to accomodate another family with children, but in the past, I would not have moved. They had the same option as I did to pay for their seats so they could sit together and they chose not to do so. I will not surrender a seat that I paid extra for so that someone else can avoid the same fee. But now, under this new arrangement, that person may not have had the option which would make me more likely to move. I just don't like the whole scenario...even if it is just DH and I, we'd like to sit together and the fact that we have no say in the situation if part of our itinerary is on an AT flight just rubs me the wrong way.

Add to that the fact that since our itinerary could include two different airlines, we will have to check in twice. Unfortunately, the layover is on our flight home so we will have to remember to check in at WDW. Thank goodness for apps! I'll just have to hope I have adequate service and signal when it is time to check in.
I don't think that is correct. AFAIK you check in once with whichever airline you booked it through.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #43
leebee
DIS Veteran

I cannot figure out how I am supposed to check in for flights, and when, for our trip purchased on southwest.com. Departure is PWM-BWI-DAY, with first leg on WN and the second on AT. I planned on checking in online through SW at the 24 hour mark. Will this automatically check us into the AT leg (and get us seat assignments), or do I have to log onto airtran.com to get seat assignments and boarding passes?

The return is trickier, as the place where we are staying has no internet access. Our return flight is DAY-BWI-PWM, and without thinking I automatically purchased EBCI because of not having internet at my sister-in-law's home. Once again, the DAY-BWI leg is operated by AT, BWI-PWM by Southwest. Since I purchased EBCI, will WN check me in for both legs, or just the BWI-PWM leg? Do I need to go online to check in for the DAY-BWI leg, and which airline's website should I do this through?

Finally... coming back, the first leg is operated by AT but purchased through southwest.com. At the Dayton airport, which airline do I physically check in with, and check our suitcases with? I have tried emailing WN with my questions but have received no response, and was on hold with them for 45 minutes the other day when I had to hang up to leave for work. This whole situation is a little crazy... they have computers, so why is it so challenging to swap stuff to ONE system?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #44
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
I cannot figure out how I am supposed to check in for flights, and when, for our trip purchased on southwest.com. Departure is PWM-BWI-DAY, with first leg on WN and the second on AT. I planned on checking in online through SW at the 24 hour mark. Will this automatically check us into the AT leg (and get us seat assignments), or do I have to log onto airtran.com to get seat assignments and boarding passes?

The return is trickier, as the place where we are staying has no internet access. Our return flight is DAY-BWI-PWM, and without thinking I automatically purchased EBCI because of not having internet at my sister-in-law's home. Once again, the DAY-BWI leg is operated by AT, BWI-PWM by Southwest. Since I purchased EBCI, will WN check me in for both legs, or just the BWI-PWM leg? Do I need to go online to check in for the DAY-BWI leg, and which airline's website should I do this through?

Finally... coming back, the first leg is operated by AT but purchased through southwest.com. At the Dayton airport, which airline do I physically check in with, and check our suitcases with? I have tried emailing WN with my questions but have received no response, and was on hold with them for 45 minutes the other day when I had to hang up to leave for work. This whole situation is a little crazy... they have computers, so why is it so challenging to swap stuff to ONE system?

If you book through SWA you check in on SWA's website at 24 hours just like if it were a SWA flight. If you book through Airtran you would check in online on AirTran site at the 24 hour mark.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #45
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
How far in advance did you book your flight?

A person I work with-- booked AT through Southwest in February for flights this past week.
I checked the status of the flight a few days before they were scehduled to go- the flight was fully booked.
When I checked them in at exactly the 24 hour mark there was seat assignments. they had boarding passes next to each other. When they arrived at the gate they were bumped off that flight and put on another flight. No compensation- no say in the matter. They arrived home 3 hours later then what they were supposed to.

--
this worries me. We have a family of 16 members. We are booking flights as soon as they come available. I am thinking the longer you wait the more your chances of being bumped happens, The AT flight is really a lot cheaper then a SW flight-- but it the grand scheme of things-- what will we be saving in the long run
I booked my original flight in February and they called me in March to cancel me from that flight and move me to a later flight. On April 5 I saw my original flight offered again, so I called to rebook (wouldn't let me do it on the computer). My flight was April 20th. I did the check in at exactly the 24 hr mark and was at the gate nice and early (1.5 hrs). My boarding pass never showed a seat number, so I guess that should have been foreboding.

In my case, there was a high school class that had the whole plane booked since January according to the gate attendant, so it may not be a typical situation. I was especially annoyed that they put the seats back on the market and allowed me to book it again only to be denied a second time when it sounds like the plane was full all along.

I Can't BELIEEEEVE I Did This!!!! An Oct 2014 Pre-trip report

All the makings of a Disaster, Sept 2012

Split stay: Yacht Club/Pop Oct 1-Oct 8 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)
lurkernj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: