Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #91
khaoskat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmtwinmama View Post
That was going to be my question... regarding rides. Can my 11 year olds go on Star Tours alone if I am waiting at the exit? That's the only ride I can't stomach.... we were there in August and they were able to do that... just didnt know if that age rule has also changed??
From what I remember on the other thread, yes...you do not have to ride it (unless the ride requires someone over a certain height to ride with a child)...
khaoskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #92
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat

What misinformation is being reported in this thread. If you are talking about people stating the parks unaccompanied minor age being 14, that is correct information. Disney recently (like within the last month or two) put this NEW policy in place.

There have been several discussions about it. I remember participating in one, when the information was softly released and not all details were known, because we usually let our older two wait in ride lines together at non-disney parks...and we were discussing if the new policy would affect doing something like that.
No someone never stated anything about the parks. They talked about age 14 with no mention of lounge or parks. So since this a thread about lounges I stand by my statement regarding misinformation .
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #93
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkbyday

Well, here's another that cannot believe people are so flippant about their children. Whether we like it or not, there are sick individuals out there and guess what, many of them hang out at Disney because, quite frankly, it is like a candy store for them.

Every time something awful happens there, there are hundreds of posts reminding why people should NOT let their young children wander around without an adult - just really amazes me how quickly it is forgotten.

I could care less about being the minority and my child does not live in a bubble, but some things are just not worth the risk. Seriously, what is so important that it can't wait until an adult is available to go.
Sorry but you are taking my statement way out of context.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #94
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The range of age between 12 - 18 is a HUGE difference in maturity level - not a great comparison in my opinion - even between 12 and 15 is a huge difference in maturity. And if you would like to throw out statistical information, how about this one - over 58,000 children are abducted each year by a non-family member. What I haven't provided is how many children are sexually exploited - I happen to, unfortunately, know that it is far more than this.

I don't live in a state of constant fear at all and yes, my 14 year old daughter has certain freedoms and independence, but I do use common sense and would NEVER let a young child of 12 years old walk around a hotel alone or with a younger child - that is just not a safe thing to do. As parents, it is our duty not only to teach our children how to be independent, but it is also our duty to keep them out of harms way and there isn't a person on this planet that would convince me walking around a hotel alone, of all places, is a safe thing to do for a young child.

I know that we all love Disney and would like to believe it is this safe, magical place, but unfortunately, it is also a haven for child predators and maybe you haven't seen the news reports even in just the last year, but the sex offender registry has grown in Florida by 74% just in the last 5 years whereas the rest of the country has only grown by 23% - these are factual numbers, not something I pulled out of a hat for the sake of trying to prove a point!

So, if some want to choose to wear rose colored glasses and pretend that the world is 99.999999% safe, be my guest - I will continue to live here in reality and take a walk to the club lounge with my daughter - there really isn't anything she needs there that can't wait until I can go with her - after all, I'm on vacation to spend time with her anyway!

I am very passionate about this topic because I do believe some parents are too laid back with their young children. There is a middle ground - one doesn't have to be over protective or completely aloof.
I do use common sense and would NEVER let a young child of 12 walk around a hotel alone or with a younger child. But I have let mine go to the lounge in a self contained area like the Sugarloaf lounge.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #95
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasgoose

I guess I just wouldn't consider going from the room to the CL as "wandering around the resort." For most CL rooms, both the floor and the lounge are limited access, and there is a CM present right outside the lounge and/or inside the lounge. For example, if you are staying at YC/BC do you stay with your 10 year old at all times? Like with the slide there, unless you actually accompany your child to it, it's pretty hard to keep them within view at all times (especially since the slide deposits riders relatively far away from the start). I would be much more worried about something bad befalling my kid in that pool than I would letting them walk down the hall to get a snack at the CL. The CL seems about as safe a place as any, and you can't supervise your children 24/7. If they are mature enough to behave themselves in a CL, then they should be able to handle a trip there themselves.
Darn right about the lounge. Repeatedly on this thread people are repeatedly mistaking going to the lounge with wandering a hotel or resort. Either ignorance or just looking to stir the pot.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #96
tinkbyday
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
Sorry but you are taking my statement way out of context.
No, I'm afraid I didn't take your statement out of context at all.

Quote:
I do use common sense and would NEVER let a young child of 12 walk around a hotel alone or with a younger child. But I have let mine go to the lounge in a self contained area like the Sugarloaf lounge.
Really - because in an earlier post you indicated that your children also go to the pool alone.

Quote:
Darn right about the lounge. Repeatedly on this thread people are repeatedly mistaking going to the lounge with wandering a hotel or resort. Either ignorance or just looking to stir the pot.
My point is that it really doesn't matter if it's just going to the lounge, the pool, or anywhere in the hotel, quite frankly - a hotel is not a safe place where young children should walk around unattended - EVEN on a CL floor.

The CL floors are quite large with many, many rooms (and guests staying in them), cleaning crew, maintenance people, etc. - you just keep on believing that everyone staying and working on CL must be kind, decent, loving people and that no one person would even dream of harming your children. I'll err on the side of caution and spend some quality time with my child while we take that walk together - independence and life lessons really don't have to be taught at WDW. There are plenty of other opportunities in life for those.

And, by the way, I'm most definitely not ignorant and have no desire to stir the pot - are you stirring the pot by repeatedly giving your opinion as well?

Dec 09 YC CL Jan 09 YC Apr '08 WL and POR Jan '07 BWI Nov '05 Swan Oct '03 CBR
tinkbyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #97
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Show me where I said I would let my kids go alone to the pool? Not me.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #98
tinkbyday
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Show me where I said I would let my kids go alone to the pool? Not me.
Sure thing - here you go

Quote:
It's "knew" because it was past tense. Now I would allow them to leave the bulding. I "know" that.

And it's "There are" and not "there's" since people is plural. Would you say "there is people" or "there are people"?

But the main point is "there's" (not "there are" since difference is singular) a big difference between kids wandering around a resort vs going to the CL and then back to the room. Or in our case also going from the Courtyard Pool at the GF to SL CL and then back to the pool.

Realizing that you probably meant that you were also at the pool and they were allowed to walk to and from the CL lounge to where you were at the pool, but nevertheless, that is quite a hike from a pool to a CL lounge for young children to make on their own.

Oh and btw, I noticed that you've pointed out that you have stayed at SL several times in your posts - it really is irrelevant which hotel - the risks are identical - I'm fairly certain that bad people are in every economic status.

Last edited by tinkbyday; 04-21-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #99
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:

No, I'm afraid I didn't take your statement out of context at all.

Really - because in an earlier post you indicated that your children also go to the pool alone.

My point is that it really doesn't matter if it's just going to the lounge, the pool, or anywhere in the hotel, quite frankly - a hotel is not a safe place where young children should walk around unattended - EVEN on a CL floor.

The CL floors are quite large with many, many rooms (and guests staying in them), cleaning crew, maintenance people, etc. - you just keep on believing that everyone staying and working on CL must be kind, decent, loving people and that no one person would even dream of harming your children. I'll err on the side of caution and spend some quality time with my child while we take that walk together - independence and life lessons really don't have to be taught at WDW. There are plenty of other opportunities in life for those.

And, by the way, I'm most definitely not ignorant and have no desire to stir the pot - are you stirring the pot by repeatedly giving your opinion as well?
So at what age do you think is ok for 2 children to go to the CL in the Sugarloaf building at the GF? And what do you think are better opportunities to give your children a little independence? Any of the ones I think of involve the greater possibility of interaction with strangers.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #100
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sure thing - here you go and yes you actually did

Realizing that you probably meant that you were also at the pool and they were allowed to walk to the CL lounge from where you were at the pool, but nevertheless, that is quite a hike from a pool to a CL lounge for young children to make on their own.
That is what I meant. And at the GF the CL to which I am referring is the Sugarloaf building, which I would hardly describe as quite a hike since it is in very close proximity to the Courtyard pool. Not even a minute walk and clearly visible.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #101
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sure thing - here you go

Realizing that you probably meant that you were also at the pool and they were allowed to walk to and from the CL lounge to where you were at the pool, but nevertheless, that is quite a hike from a pool to a CL lounge for young children to make on their own.

Oh and btw, I noticed that you've pointed out that you have stayed at SL several times in your posts - it really is irrelevant which hotel - the risks are identical - I'm fairly certain that bad people are in every economic status.
Meaning the SL is a stand alone building near the Courtyard pool so hence my statement about the pool. And since it doesn't get the traffic of the Main Building at the GF there fewer "strangers" in it. That is my point. Nothing to do with economic status. Right now our family is staying in a Hyatt Place hotel and I will not let them go get breakfast by themselves since here the guests are not as easily identified as at a WDW resort and the breakfast area is near the main entrance and parking lot where there is a much greater chance of a preventable problem with strangers.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #102
tinkbyday
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So at what age do you think is ok for 2 children to go to the CL in the Sugarloaf building at the GF? And what do you think are better opportunities to give your children a little independence? Any of the ones I think of involve the greater possibility of interaction with strangers.
Well, I can't speak for SL at the GF specifically since I do not choose to stay there, but speaking in more general terms for any resort, it really is dependent on the maturity of the children - in my personal scenario, since we will be making our last trip to WDW this year and my DD is 14, it is a non-issue since she would not be doing this on this trip nor would she be doing this on any trip alone. We will be staying a portion of our trip at the Ritz Carlton CL and even there, I wouldn't have her go to the lounge on her own

Better opportunities for independence - well, let's see, I'll play along and give you a couple of examples. My DD is going to NYC on a school field trip this year, I won't be there, but it is mostly chaperoned - the girls stay in rooms with other girls of same age - 4 to a room. Great experience without adults looking over at all times. They are, however, taped in the rooms in the evenings (in case you are unfamiliar, it is a common practice where the chaperones tape the outside of the door - if one of the kids tries to leave, the tape breaks). They are clustered in groups of 10 with 1 chaperone to site see and go on excursions.

I also have no issue leaving my DD at home on her own while I am at work or when I run out to do errands - there is great responsibility being home on ones own. She also has taken walks around our neighborhood with our dog alone.

I have many other less obvious examples, but I really don't feel the need to spell each one out - at the end of the day, I am confident that I am raising my DD as a well adjusted, morally present, independent woman who will be able to take care of herself when the time comes that she needs to do so.

Thankfully, I am done with this thread - I've provided my opinion as the OP asked and sited factual statistics that support my position on this topic. I feel no further desire or need to continue defending that position.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #103
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISzy View Post
So, we are returning to AKL club level. I have 2 DD, ages 10 and 12. At AKL, the club level is on 6, but the standard rooms are on 4. Trying to decide if I am comfortable with the girls walking to the lounge together, without me or DH. And if so, is it acceptable, allowed for kids that age to be there unaccompanied?
As long as they know how to get back to the room I think that is fine. 12 years old is responsible enough to go down the hall for snacks, imo.

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #104
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't consider 12 to be a "young child". Also every 12 year old (and 10 year old) is different. Some 12 year olds are not mature or responsible or well behaved enough to go to a club lounge alone. But if your 12 and 10 year old are, awesome! I think it's a great opportunity to teach them some independence in a very safe environment. Maybe my opinion doesn't hold value because my kid is in my belly right now, about the size of a small canteloupe, but I will share it anyway.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #105
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkbyday View Post

I also have no issue leaving my DD at home on her own while I am at work or when I run out to do errands - there is great responsibility being home on ones own. She also has taken walks around our neighborhood with our dog alone.
Statistically speaking, children who do get abducted are most likely to be grabbed by someone in a car, and it's likely to be 1/4 mile or less from home.

I think walking a short distance in a hotel would be much safer, especially if the child is on the same floor. I allow my two sons to go out together and ride bikes at home. They are 12 and 9. They've got a cell phone with them, and I've pounded all the safety precautions into their heads since they were little. Don't approach cars. Don't get separated. Don't talk to adults or allow any adult to give you a ride. If anybody touches you, scream loudly and run. And so on. I've been gradually giving them more independence as they get older. My 12 year old is very responsible and takes his big brother duties very seriously. I don't allow my 7 year old to go out with the boys as she's not ready for it yet. I don't let the 9 year old go without the 12 year old. I would allow my 12 year old to walk to the lounge by himself, and I've let him wait in line for rides by himself. He's got a cell phone and he knows what to do in the case of an emergency.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: