Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #31
abk96
Remember the true heroes, our police, firefighters, and the brave men and women in the military. Thank you for keeping us safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
In your opinion. I and others here respectively disagree.
The poster was giving her opinion also on the subject just like you and I did.
July'09 BWV--June'12 BC-CL--July/Aug'13 BWI-CL--July/Aug'14 GF-SL and BWI--Feb'15 Sports

abk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #32
Jabba20000
Mouseketeer

When my youngest DD was 10 we let her go to the lounge with her older sister without us. I think it depends on your kids' maturity level.
Jabba20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #33
ClareH37
DIS Veteran

Each parent has to decide what they feel comfortable with re their children but just because we're in Disney and club level floors/buildings/lounges are keyed access doesn't mean to say one's fellow guests who also have their 'golden key' are 'trustworthy'.

1992/1994/1995/1997/1999/2001 - Offsite/POFQ * December 2004 - CSR, YC * December 2006 - YC CL * May 2007 - BWI * December 2007 - GF RPC, BWI CL * May 2009 - BWI CL *
May 2010 - BWI CL * November 2011 - BWI CL * December 2012 - BC CL * May 2014 - GF CL & WL CL *
ClareH37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #34
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk96 View Post
The poster was giving her opinion also on the subject
I respectifully disagree. More than just an opinon. Seems to me than the poster is insinuating that anyone who is wrong who lets their kids go without them.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #35
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Since we are giving opinions I would totally say yes. Too many helicopter parents IMHO. It's a scary world, but you still have to let them grow up. I can't think of a better place to give them a little independence then a Disney resort.

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #36
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
Since we are giving opinions I would totally say yes. Too many helicopter parents IMHO. It's a scary world, but you still have to let them grow up. I can't think of a better place to give them a little independence then a Disney resort.
I wonder if the parks are safer? Anybody can go to a resort, but not everybody can get into the parks. I do think the CL's are the safest of all, since you need special access and there are usually CM's nearby.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #37
glasslipper
DIS Veteran

maybe I'm just out of touch, but I'd feel safer at a resort, especially one like AKL, than allowing younger children to wander alone in the parks.
JMO, but I wouldn't have a problem with children the Op's age going to the lounge unaccompanied by an adult as long as they were well behaved.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #38
mmtwinmama
Mouseketeer

We let our boys in the lounge alone in August when they were 10. We did however walk them around the lounge when we first arrived pointing out the tongs to use for all the food... One drink at a time... Only take what you know you will eat.... Most of the time one of us would pop in unannounced just to make sure.
With that said, my biggest complaint was towards some adults... Shirtless, barefoot, loud... Quite surprised the staff allowed this. The letter we received upon arrival clearly stated that kids under 10 needed an adult, shirts and shoes required... So you never know what you will come across.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #39
abk96
Remember the true heroes, our police, firefighters, and the brave men and women in the military. Thank you for keeping us safe.

Quote:
I respectifully disagree. More than just an opinon. Seems to me than the poster is insinuating that anyone who is wrong who lets their kids go without them.
You're giving your Opinion also by saying it is okay to let young children wonder a building full of strangers. Everyone has a right to think differently.
July'09 BWV--June'12 BC-CL--July/Aug'13 BWI-CL--July/Aug'14 GF-SL and BWI--Feb'15 Sports

Old 04-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #40
glasslipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmtwinmama View Post
We let our boys in the lounge alone in August when they were 10. We did however walk them around the lounge when we first arrived pointing out the tongs to use for all the food... One drink at a time... Only take what you know you will eat.... Most of the time one of us would pop in unannounced just to make sure.
With that said, my biggest complaint was towards some adults... Shirtless, barefoot, loud... Quite surprised the staff allowed this. The letter we received upon arrival clearly stated that kids under 10 needed an adult, shirts and shoes required... So you never know what you will come across.
Absolutely, age doesn't =maturity or courteous behavior.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #41
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk96 View Post
You're giving your Opinion also by saying it is okay to let young children wonder a building full of strangers. Everyone has a right to think differently.
No I think it's ok for age-appropriate children (not a single child) to go to the CL Lounge for food and/or drink without an adult, as does WDW since they allow it too . Please show me where I said it was ok to wander (not wonder) in a resort full of strangers? I never did. And that's a fact, not an opinon.

My kids knew not to leave the building (we were in GF SL); the options were lounge or back to the room.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #42
abk96

Quote:
No I think it's ok for age-appropriate children (not a single child) to go to the CL Lounge for food and/or drink without an adult, as does WDW since they allow it too . Please show me where I said it was ok to wander (not wonder) in a resort full of strangers? I never did. And that's a fact, not an opinon.

My kids knew not to leave the building (we were in GF SL); the options were lounge or back to the room.
Thanks for correcting my typo

And it's Know not Knew. There's still people in the building that are strangers.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #43
glasslipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I think the wonder/wander was a typo. We are all stating personal opinions, no need to be belligerent. It's all good
Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #44
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslipper View Post
I think the wonder/wander was a typo. We are all stating personal opinions, no need to be belligerent. It's all good
Understood but there's a difference between wandering a resort vs. going straight to the Cl and then back to the room.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #45
Princess Katherine
The Yeti's Girlfriend

I used to do that last year when I was twelve. As long they have a key. If you are worried about "things" I really don't think that weirdos would have enough money to go to Disney. Give them cell phones?
Princess Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: