Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
KsquaredMomma
Earning My Ears

8 Days of Magic :)

Long time lurker here and I must admit that Ive been completely obsessed with the trip reports here. Ive found that theyve provided so many valuable tips and useful information so I wanted to join the fun. Hopefully I can do the same while simultaneously re-living the best vacation ever!

First of all my crew included myself (mom), DH (Chris), DS 1 (10yo), DS 2 (4yo), grandma and grandpa. We booked the May 10-18 2013 sailing on the Magic out of Galveston Tx with stops in Castaway Cay, Port Canaveral, and Key West. It really surpassed my expectations and Im not sure that I have anything to complain about. This was the first Disney Cruise for everyone in my party. It was the 3rd cruise for DH & I, the 14th for the grandparents and the 1st for our boys. Needless to say the excite-o-meter was off the charts for all of us. We were going to be celebrating Mothers Day as well as my graduation from college and acceptance into law school (yes I did things a bit backwards but a dream deferred is not a dream denied right??)

Day 1: Embarkation Day, Sail Away Party, Dinner at Lumieres
Embarkation day welcomed us with torrential downpours! We drove down to Galveston that morning from Louisiana (about a 4 hour drive) and arrived at about noon. We had a 1:00 boarding time and was placed in boarding group 26 upon arrival. Embarkation was a relatively smooth process. There were tons of people and we were anticipating quite a long wait before boarding the ship. We had the opportunity to check the kids into the Oceaneer Lab/Club there in the terminal but the line was atrocious and we were advised by a CM that wed be able to do so once on board on Deck 5. After a relatively long day on the road, we opted for the latter. Before we knew it, boarding group 26 was called and we were headed to the ship, well before our boarding time of 1. We walked onto the ship and our family was announced and greeted with applause from the crew. Looking back, this was definitely a taste of the exceptional service wed come to receive aboard the Magic.

After making our grand entrance : we headed over to Parrot Cay for the lunch buffet. I was so beyond excited that I dont even recall what was on the menu that day. After lunch we made our way to the deck 5 to check the kids into the Oceaneer Lab. We had the opportunity to meet the counselors and explore both the Club and the Lab with the kids. We were very impressed and my gosh if I were a kid again this place would be like heaven! There were so many activities and games, I knew my kids would love this place (more about that later lol). They were given their bracelets and we were asked for a secret password that wed provide each time we checked them out. We were given the option of allowing our 10 year old to check himself in and out. I was a little hesitant as Ive often referred to myself as a helicopter mom but I felt he was ready for this responsibility with a few rules so I okayed it. Cheers to letting go&. A little bit!

It was 1:30 on the dot and our rooms were ready, no bags yet but we were excited to see these rooms. Now the fiasco with the room situation had me a little concerned. We literally booked a month before sailing and with our budget had very few room options available to us. Our room would be on deck 1 (1032 to be exact) and the grandparents room would be located on deck 2 (2543). I had cruised before and had never been so low on the boat and didnt know what to expect. I was a little scared to be honest but this ended up being a blessing for us. We were literally around the corner from the gangway and the forward elevators which weve never ever had to wait for. The room had two small porthole windows that worked well enough for our family. The room size was a welcomed surprise after being on other ships with way smaller rooms. There was more than enough room for our family of four and we were very pleasantly surprised. My parents room was located directly beneath Rockin Bar D and I had read reviews of the noise level but my mother said theyve had absolutely no problems with noise. She is a light sleeper and came prepared but out of 8 nights, she said she may have heard faint noise only once. All in all our rooms worked well for us and I was worried for nothing. I would still LOVE to try a room with a verandah&next time maybe :

After checking out the rooms we made our way to deck 9 to check things out and wait for the Sail Away Party. We liked the layout of the ship and was especially excited about the Mickey Pool area. We would come to spend lots of time with our boys here. The slide was a big hit for our eldest son and the pool was perfect for our little one but we quickly came to find that this area gets really packed at certain times of the day. Emphasis on REALLY packed&like let your kid wear fluorescent and neon colors in order to not lose them in the masses of people in the pool packed. We found that early morning swimming (between 8-11) left us with both the Mickey and Goofy pools practically to ourselves. 12-4 was probably the busiest times at both pools.

http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/ks...l?sort=3&o=367

The muster drill took place at 3:45 and was followed by the Sail Away party at 4:15. We found that we were still relatively early and was able to get spots for our kids right up front. Everyone was so excited as we awaited the arrival of the VIPs! We danced, sang and had a merry old time. My husband and I moved off to the side as to allow more kids the opportunity to see the show but I tell you some adults had absolutely no problem shoving little kids out of the way in order to get closer to the stage. I literally saw a 6 foot something man step in front of my 4 year old to get a picture of Mickey. Mama bear was not pleased to say the least but thanks to the power of the pixie dust we forged on without incident. I came to realize that this would be a recurring thing going on throughout the cruise. I think this would probably be one of the very few complaints Id have.

We attended the Welcome Aboard show in the Walt Disney Theater which was phenomenal. When it ended everyone was pretty tired so the grandparents went to their room. We thought wed do the same but the kids were curious about the kids activities so we checked both of them into the lab. The lab is more so catered to older kids but accessible to kids ages 3-12 with the Oceaneer Club geared more for younger kids. My youngest son wanted to stay with his brother so we checked them both into the lab while my husband and I went to dinner. Our first stop on the rotational dining lineup was Lumieres. I was blown away by the beauty of this restaurant and the attentive servers (Mo & Supatcha) but the food this night was not our favorite. After dinner we checked the kids out of the lab, thinking since this was a family vacation wed limit the use of the kids program (yeah right lol) and spent the rest of the evening watching movies in our room.

Last edited by KsquaredMomma; 05-19-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: misspell
KsquaredMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Loos like a great TR so far! I can't wait to see more. We have our first ever cruise in July.

carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
KsquaredMomma
Earning My Ears

Day 2: At Sea
Day 2 was a pretty relaxing day. The excitement of being on the ship woke us up far earlier than I had expected. We headed to Topsiders for breakfast before heading to the Mickey Pool. The boys swam a couple of hours before DS 1 headed to the Oceaneer’s lab. Our youngest didn’t want to go back so he hung out with us. Being the only girl in my crew of boys presented it’s first bit of awkwardness when I was determined to meet the princesses this day.

I’m a total kid at heart and yes I LOVE the Disney princesses. I didn’t get the chance to meet any of them on our last trip to WDW so I was determined to meet them this trip. Grandma and I waited in line (she volunteered I promise I didn’t force her lol) and what a line it turned out to be! My suggestion for ANY of the character meetings but particularly the princesses is to get there early… WAY early because the line gets long fast. Luckily we were pretty close to the front of the line and I bribed my little guy to join me for a few pictures. I mean I didn’t want to look totally weird, 30 years old gushing over the princesses right? My plan to use my kid as bait totally backfired when he told Cinderella not to touch him because princesses were for girls….. (enter mom’s mortified face here- you do NOT talk to Cindy that way! Does he not know what that poor girl had to endure?) The princesses included Cinderella, Snow White, Aurora, Belle and Tiana. My husband aka the photographer failed to get our pictue with Snow White ☹

Formal night was this evening so we soon returned to our stateroom in order to get ready. We were having dinner in Animator’s Palate this night and was a bit disappointed to learn that there wouldn’t be a show this night. It still didn’t disappoint. We had a fabulous evening.

Since we had second seating dining, it was about 9:15 by the time we finished dinner and the kids were pretty tired so we headed back to the room…but not before running into this guy….

Old 05-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
KsquaredMomma
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa1970 View Post
Loos like a great TR so far! I can't wait to see more. We have our first ever cruise in July.

Thank you Oh you're going to enjoy!!!
Old 05-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Jaymepops
Mouseketeer

GREAT TR so far!! looking forward to more!!! Thanks!!!
Disney's Caribbean Resort - January 2009 - First Disney Full Marathon - Team in Training - Go Team!
Disney's All-Star Movies - October 2010 - Disney's Inaugural Wine & Dine Half Marathon

Disney Fantasy - Our First Disney Cruise! May 2012

Check out our Fantasy Cruise VIDEO(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhWCAuXnETs
Jaymepops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
KsquaredMomma
Earning My Ears

Day 3: At Sea

Day 3 was another day at sea but it was MOTHER’S DAY!!! Yeah! And what a fabulous mother’s day it turned out to be. My gang and I had breakfast in Parrot Cay this morning with the characters and I was so excited. My boys surprised me with a number 1 mom t shirt and a tiara…and let me tell you people, there is NO better place for a grown woman to wear a tiara with pink rhinestones and feaux fur than on a Disney Cruise ☺. I rocked that crown like a true princess and headed to breakfast with my favorite people.

Breakfast was amazing and so well organized. Our servers Mo and Supatcha follwed us to the breakfast seating as well which was amazing. By this time they knew us pretty well and accommodated us accordingly. Wonderful! The VIPs showed up and made their rounds. There was Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy and Chip & Dale. While waiting to take pictures with the characters our server Supatcha made us the most fabulous head pieces! It was such a great experience! As you will come to discover via our photos, my youngest son takes some time to warm up to the characters. lol

Tonight would be the night we’d get to see THE show in Animator’s Palette and boy was it phenomenal.

After dinner we ran into this pretty lady and wouldn’t you know the pixie dust started to work… my boys ASKED to take a picture with her!
Old 05-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
KsquaredMomma
Earning My Ears

Day 4: Castaway Cay

Whatever fabulous things you’ve heard about Castaway Cay- take that and multiply it by 100 because it’s even MORE fantastic than that. I’m telling you this place is just gorgeous. We’ve done Jamaica, St. Marten, St. Thomas, Grand Cayman and St. John beaches and this one was probably the number 2 most beautiful beach we’ve seen (in our opinion). Taking full advantage of the gangway being right next door we were the first to get off the ship and head to the trams upon docking. It is recommended that you get to the beach early in order to get a good spot (if you don’t have a cabana) and that was probably some of the best advice. We arrived within the first batch, headed down to the 3rd cove from the pier, the one closest to the kids playground and splash pad, and our pick of beach chairs.

Originally we were nearest the Pelican Point play area but soon realized that most people were gravitating to that particular area and since our boys aren’t very big swimmers and wouldn’t swim out to the area, we moved closer to the cabana areas (right before the restricted area). We found this to be relatively less busy throughout the day and would recommend this area for families with smaller kids.

While Grandma and Grandpa watched the kids, my husband and I took the tram to the adults’ only beach Serenity Bay and it seemed a little like a slice of heaven. It was so quiet, with hammocks and an amazing view. It really was fantastic and I would have stayed longer but soon headed back over to our family. If you’re ever debating on whether or now you should take a Disney Cruise if you a) don’t have kids or b) don’t want to take the kids I’d highly recommend you give DCL a try! Disney has definitely designed something for EVERYONE and you will get the peaceful, serene experience that you want with exceptional service to boot!

Lunch this day was served at Cookies and Cookies 2. It was buffet style with BBQ ribs, chicken, burgers, hot dogs and all of the fixings. We enjoyed it and found that it was very organized and not at all as chaotic as we expected it to be. Even though we were there until 4, my family and I headed back to the ship around 2. We hung out by the pools, where there were only a handful of people taking advantage of the empty ship. I don’t know what to say about my boys’ obsession with the pools, I guess it’s because we don’t have access to one here at home but whatever it is, they couldn’t get enough.

This night we had dinner at Parrot Cay but opted for hot dogs and tacos from Pluto’s instead. We were pretty tired from the day and knew that we had a busy busy day when we woke up in the morning. Day 4 was WDW day and we were attempting 3 parks in 1 day….Could we do it??? That was the million dollar question lol
Old 05-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Jaymepops
Mouseketeer

Waiting!! What a great Cruise and a beautiful family you have!!!

Love the Boston love too!!
Disney's Caribbean Resort - January 2009 - First Disney Full Marathon - Team in Training - Go Team!
Disney's All-Star Movies - October 2010 - Disney's Inaugural Wine & Dine Half Marathon

Old 05-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
KsquaredMomma
Earning My Ears

Day 5: Port Canaveral

Today was Magic Kingdom and every other park we can fit in day!!! We were a little tired from the activities thus far and running on excitement. We knew the mission before us was not for the faint of heart and we knew that one individual in our party may not be very cooperative but we decided to do our best! We signed up for the 7:30 bus to Magic Kingdom and met the group departing with us on Deck 3. We did a drive by through customs (I mean it really was just that…they tell you to get there early as this will take 20-30 minutes but we zipped right through in less than 5 minutes). It was actually 7:15 by the time the bus pulled off and we were on our way. The drive is about 1 hr and 15-20 minutes. They try to make it as painless as possible with some cartoons and such but when you’re waiting to get to the World an hour seems like a lifetime lol.

We arrived at Magic Kingdom around 8:30ish and was just in time for the morning show (forgive me for not knowing the exact title). Now would be a good time to tell you a little bit about this character trait of mine. I am type A all the way and I thrive on plans, lists and organizations. Our last trip to WDW was planned to a T via touringplans.com and it was such a lifesaver that I invested in it for this one day. Well we get to the world, plan all in place to make the best of our day in THREE of the parks and wouldn’t you know…. The ONE thing my husband was in charge of for this entire day (the camera) was displaying an ugly message: Memory Full. Here I am clicking away…Mickey dancing on the train, Minnie singing, oh here comes Pluto. I’m capturing these moments and bam!!! Photo taking ability denied. Soooo what do we have to do instead of heading straight to the “mountains”…. Take a detour into the camera shop for a new memory card. Perhaps I’m being overdramatic when I say this messed up the entire day’s plan but it kinda did lol. (Oh and I bet you can’t tell that we’re an LSU Tiger family now can you??)

I forgot all about our touring plan and was thrown for a loop with the crowd level. It was a little bit busier than I expected (it was rated a 2 per touring plans). We took pictures in front of the castle and headed straight to the new Fantasyland, then Tomorrowland and when we finally made it to Big Thunder and Splash Mountain the wait times were over an hour with fast pass returns not until 4-5 pm. I was kind of bummed about missing Enchanted Tales with Belle and no one in my group wanted to wait to get into Ariel’s grotto ☹

http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/ks...l?sort=3&o=197

We still had a pretty amazing day and I eventually forgave my husband but only because he bought me a hot dog from Caseys. I’m not regularly a hot dog fan but these things are Ahhh-mazing! Around 1 we decided to head to Hollywood Studios. We were losing some members of our party to exhaustion (ahem DS4). And let me tell you about the slack I received from my husband about insisting that we bring his stroller. It went something like this “oh he’s 4 he doesn’t need a stroller” well that stroller was a lifesaver and by the end of day 5 everyone was glad we had brought it.

DHS was a little busy this afternoon, we headed straight for the Disney Junior show and capitalized on some fast passes to Toy Story Mania that we were blessed with by this sweet couple leaving the park. The Disney Junior show is different than the one from 2 years ago. No more little Einsteins, instead there’s Sophia the First and Doc McStuffins. Needless to say it was a hit with our little guy. We made our way to Star Tours and shortly thereafter realized that we didn’t have what it takes to make it to Epcot this day. We were all worn out and this was a good time to make a promise that I’d plan another trip to WDW for next year.

We headed back to the bus and returned to the ship. Let me just say that the Port Canaveral terminal is so cute and so Disney-like (very different than the Galveston terminal). I loved the little model of our ship and the Mickey ear terminal.

We skipped dinner again this night but husband and my oldest son got to see Iron Man 3 (3D) in the Buena Vista Theater. I think this may have been the highlight of the trip for my husband as it’s the first thing he told his friends upon our return home lol. Not about the beach or our day in WDW… Iron Man 3! But I’ve done my job when everyone comes home with a special memory from our trips.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
KsquaredMomma
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymepops View Post
Waiting!! What a great Cruise and a beautiful family you have!!!

Love the Boston love too!!
Thank you so much. It was phenomenal! I'm trying to re-adjust to real life at this very moment lol
Old 05-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
Jaymepops
Mouseketeer

Great castle pic!! Geaux Tigers!!

Also love the castle pic with the water!!

As a fellow type A, it's ok to let some of the plan fall away, as long as you make another plan lol
Great job mommy!!

Old 05-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
Jaymepops
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsquaredMomma View Post
Thank you so much. It was phenomenal! I'm trying to re-adjust to real life at this very moment lol
yeah...the post cruise part is SO not fun...sorry for that...unfortunately there is no cure...

I actually walked away from the DISboards for a long time, just because it was too painfull , but now I'm back in the saddle and trying to pick our next cruise!!

Old 05-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #13
j2o
Earning My Ears

We were right around the corner from you guys! We were in 1051 & 1053. I love your story so far. I should write one for us too 😄 it was a wonderful experience!!!
j2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #14
KsquaredMomma
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2o View Post
We were right around the corner from you guys! We were in 1051 & 1053. I love your story so far. I should write one for us too 😄 it was a wonderful experience!!!
Wow really!? This is why I LOVE Disboards lol. I hope you guys had an amazing time. I'd LOVE to read your report as well!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
KsquaredMomma
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymepops View Post
Great castle pic!! Geaux Tigers!!

Also love the castle pic with the water!!

As a fellow type A, it's ok to let some of the plan fall away, as long as you make another plan lol
Great job mommy!!
Haha this is great advice! And thank you. That castle just makes my heart melt.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: