Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
BeachyMouse
Earning My Ears

Talking To Hotel Hop or Not

My family and I are looking into going to Disney World in July....Yeah I know we picked the bussiest time of the year. Unfortunately thats the only time we can go because of reserve duty and childrens summer vacation.
Ive never done it before, but I have been looking into Resort Hopping. We've always just stayed at one resort, usually one of the Value Resort's.
We wanted to try a Moderate, like the Port Orleans Resort. I love the price of the Values, but want to stretch the budget for something different.
So what are the Pro's and Con's of doing this? Its about a 5 day stay. How far would you stretch it? Such as 2 or 3 different Resorts.
Thanks in advance to all the Disney fans out there.
BeachyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Sue M
DIS Veteran

If you're only there 5 days, I wouldn't do split stays. Just pick one resort and enjoy your trip. We have done split stays, but only on longer visits of 10 or more days. For a short stay you'll find it eats up too much vacay time, and you wont really get to experience much of any resort, you'll be too busy just checking in and out. But that's me.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachyMouse View Post
My family and I are looking into going to Disney World in July....Yeah I know we picked the bussiest time of the year. Unfortunately thats the only time we can go because of reserve duty and childrens summer vacation.
Ive never done it before, but I have been looking into Resort Hopping. We've always just stayed at one resort, usually one of the Value Resort's.
We wanted to try a Moderate, like the Port Orleans Resort. I love the price of the Values, but want to stretch the budget for something different.
So what are the Pro's and Con's of doing this? Its about a 5 day stay. How far would you stretch it? Such as 2 or 3 different Resorts.
Thanks in advance to all the Disney fans out there.
If it were me, I would choose just one resort as 2 resorts is a lot for just 5 nights, IMO (and I definitely wouldn't split among 3 resorts for that short of a time). We did a 2/4 split once and it just wasn't worth it for the short time we were there. The first 2 nights went by very fast and by the time we were just getting settled at the second resort, it was time to pack up and go home. For a 5 night stay, I'd go with just 1 resort and enjoy the time there without having to pack up and move. But, that's just my preference as other people love split stays no matter how many nights they stay. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

I personally don't like the idea of a split stay, especially for a short 5 day trip.

One thing you might consider is that after around July 15th, the price of deluxes goes into their "value season" and with a good discount can become quite reasonable. We stayed CL at WL last July for $250/night.

Based on your mention of "reserve duty", I'm thinking military??? 40% off deluxe. That's what we did.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
Belle2007
Mouseketeer

I haven't done a split stay yet, but I would.

Our fav resort is POFQ with the New Orleans theme. The food court has some New Orlean's type food.

The resort is smaller than the others, with a covered bus stop (compared to the values) and the pool is awesome.

If I were to hop between resorts, I'd do it on three nights at one and then two nights at the other.

Of course, a con would be having to repack/move luggage/check in and reacquaint yourself to a new location... not sure how long that would take.

POFQ 2007; Disney Cruise "Magic" 2009; Disney Cruise "Wonder" 2009; POFQ 2009; Disneyland 2010; WDW 2010; Disney Magic 2011; Disney Fantasy Maiden Voyage 2012
Belle2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
alex9179
DIS Veteran

We did it for a 9 day stay. 2 nights at AOA and 6 nights at Poly. It was really easy since we didn't unpack for the first two nights and our toiletries were all in one of those over the door shoe organizers. I just folded it into the suitcase. We took the bags down to bell services that morning and they transferred everything over for us. If you are an organized family and WANT to do it, go for it. However, a 4 night stay is pretty short and I'd stick with one resort.
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
If it were me, I would choose just one resort as 2 resorts is a lot for just 5 nights, IMO (and I definitely wouldn't split among 3 resorts for that short of a time). We did a 2/4 split once and it just wasn't worth it for the short time we were there. The first 2 nights went by very fast and by the time we were just getting settled at the second resort, it was time to pack up and go home. For a 5 night stay, I'd go with just 1 resort and enjoy the time there without having to pack up and move. But, that's just my preference as other people love split stays no matter how many nights they stay. Good luck.
Absolutely true.. : if you want to enjoy to enjoy you're 5 night vacation just stay in one resort (just my opinion)
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
SkywayGuy
Earning My Ears

Even if you stay at just one resort, you can visit others by car or bus. We usually have a non-park day in the middle of our trip and use it to visit and check out different resorts. On our last trip we had lunch at WL and rented Sea Raycers there, and just spent some time relaxing on the veranda. We then took the boat to CR and we were then going to take the monorail to GF, but it was down. So we took the boat back to WL, and drove over to GF where we wandered around a bit and had a snack from their quick counter service. There's lots to enjoy at other resorts just by spending an hour or so, and parking is free. Just tell the guard that you're going for a meal or to check out the resort for a future visit, and don't even think about using another resort's pool
SkywayGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

That is too short for a split stay. We always do split stays but we only go every 5 years and we do a minimum of 10 days, so we have at least 5 days at each resort.

By the way, Riverside is awesome- you won't regret it!

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I love split stays. But if its for just 5 nights, that could be an issue. If you have your own car, then I say go for it. Otherwise, you have to get your bags to the next resort. If you let Disney move them, it can be early evening/late afternoon before you see those bags again. And if the next room isn't ready when you get to that resort, you now are roomless for a bit. And that can be a pain in the hot months. It's nice to go back to the room, relax and maybe have a nice swim. Hard to do if you don't have your bags and there is no room for you.

You could take your bags in a cab, and at least you would have them at the next resort, but in storage.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.

I wouldn't do it either. Even if it was a longer stay. We did split stay once on an 8 night trip and was really sorry we did. Unless it was a two week or more stay...then I might consider it.

2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Cindie-rella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Same here. I only split on 10 days or longer.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread