Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
iman
Mouseketeer

Has anyone done Dolphins Up-Close Tour

And is it worth it? My kids are 12 and 8. How much interaction do they really have with the Dolphins?
iman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

I am in on this one. How large are the groups?
Nov/Dec 2010 5 nights at the Poly with my 3 children
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 17 DS 14 DD 12 Sebastian 6
mickey2minnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
aklumpp
Lovin' the Magic

I'm wondering the same thing. My kids are 12 (son) and 7 (daughter).

1996: Dixie Landings (Now Port Orleans-Riverside)
1999: Villas at Disney Institute (Replaced by Saratoga Springs)
2002: Old Key West
2005: Cabins at Fort Wilderness
2008: Wilderness Lodge
2009: Bay Lake Tower
2011: Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village
2013: Bay Lake Tower
2015: Disney Dream
aklumpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
Mommy to Kayla
Mouseketeer

Anyone have any advice?
July 1- 5, 2013 - Polynesian Resort, Walt Disneyworld

January 1-5, 2014 - Paradise Pier, Disneyland
July 28-August 2, 2014 - Split stay at Grand Californian Hotel and Disneyland Hotel

(other trips to Disneyland and Disneyland Paris as a kid but it's so much more fun now as a mommy!)
Mommy to Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

We did this tour last Saturday, June 8th. It was awesome. They only allow 16 on the tour. They take you to the Dolphin Nursery first. You get to see the trainers interact with the babies and pregnant females. You do not get to interact with these dolphins. You do get to ask as many questions and see a variety of hand signals and feeding. Then they take you to the main dolphin cove. Here they split up the group by families. We had 7 people in our family. They did put us by each other but we got to work with 2 trainers. Most groups had 2 dolphins to work with but we had 5 because our group was large. Here, the trainers will show you how to do hand signals. There is a lot of interaction with the dolphins. You get to touch the dolphins several times throughout. It was a great tour and we would do it again. My word of advice is enjoy it and not worry about taking pictures. I spent the whole time taking pictures and not focused on the dolphins. I didn't realize there was a photographer assigned to our family taking pictures the whole time across the pool. I knew he was there, I wasn't aware he would take pictures the whole time. His pictures were awesome. I bought the CD for $40.00. It had 57 pictures on it and comes with a release to print the pictures. I am glad we did it. All our kids(ages 9,10,11,12) really enjoyed it.

We also did the Behind the Scenes tour. This was my favorite. We got to pet a shark, see rescued animals in their holding pools, see inside a polar bear den, and get a meet and greet with a penguin. We were able to take our time with the penguin and get as many pictures as we wanted. The trainers never rushed us and answered all(and with 4 kids with us and several more on the tour, there were a lot of questions) of our questions.
reelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelmom View Post
We did this tour last Saturday, June 8th. It was awesome. They only allow 16 on the tour. They take you to the Dolphin Nursery first. You get to see the trainers interact with the babies and pregnant females. You do not get to interact with these dolphins. You do get to ask as many questions and see a variety of hand signals and feeding. Then they take you to the main dolphin cove. Here they split up the group by families. We had 7 people in our family. They did put us by each other but we got to work with 2 trainers. Most groups had 2 dolphins to work with but we had 5 because our group was large. Here, the trainers will show you how to do hand signals. There is a lot of interaction with the dolphins. You get to touch the dolphins several times throughout. It was a great tour and we would do it again. My word of advice is enjoy it and not worry about taking pictures. I spent the whole time taking pictures and not focused on the dolphins. I didn't realize there was a photographer assigned to our family taking pictures the whole time across the pool. I knew he was there, I wasn't aware he would take pictures the whole time. His pictures were awesome. I bought the CD for $40.00. It had 57 pictures on it and comes with a release to print the pictures. I am glad we did it. All our kids(ages 9,10,11,12) really enjoyed it.

We also did the Behind the Scenes tour. This was my favorite. We got to pet a shark, see rescued animals in their holding pools, see inside a polar bear den, and get a meet and greet with a penguin. We were able to take our time with the penguin and get as many pictures as we wanted. The trainers never rushed us and answered all(and with 4 kids with us and several more on the tour, there were a lot of questions) of our questions.
Wow! Thank you for the info, especially about the picture taking. I will not worry about that.
Nov/Dec 2010 5 nights at the Poly with my 3 children
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 17 DS 14 DD 12 Sebastian 6
mickey2minnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: