Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #16
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Not necessarily what the thread is about but thought I'd share. Never in a million years thought I'd be in this position:

For the first time ever I thought to buy travel insurance for the 5/25 Fantasy we've had booked over a year now. A few months ago when we started making firm decisions on excursions I decided with adventurous activities it might be a good idea. Plus, the flu horror story of a Dis'er's daughter who couldn't get on the ship really got me thinking it would be smart. So, used ***************** and got coverage for under $200. Never dreamed we might need it. I bought it mostly for the medical coverage & medical transport. Fast forward to this week. DS17 is having some pretty considerable health issues that are likely to prevent us from going on our cruise. I called ***************** 2 nights ago just to be sure I understood the policy coverage, that as long as this problem is new our trip cost is covered. We're safe! We hope to know more later today after our visit with the GI doc who is making an exception to even see a minor. As stressed as I am over my son's health and trying to keep his pain under control, I cannot imagine if I was staring down the barrel of a potential financial loss of thousands of dollars on top of everything else.

If you never thought you'd need trip insurance, if you are like me & read the stories thinking "So unlikely to be us Im not springing for the extra cost"....Is it worth the risk to be wrong? I promise I will never neglect to buy travel insurance for a cruise vacation ever again.
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
Not necessarily what the thread is about but thought I'd share. Never in a million years thought I'd be in this position:

For the first time ever I thought to buy travel insurance for the 5/25 Fantasy we've had booked over a year now. A few months ago when we started making firm decisions on excursions I decided with adventurous activities it might be a good idea. Plus, the flu horror story of a Dis'er's daughter who couldn't get on the ship really got me thinking it would be smart. So, used ***************** and got coverage for under $200. Never dreamed we might need it. I bought it mostly for the medical coverage & medical transport. Fast forward to this week. DS17 is having some pretty considerable health issues that are likely to prevent us from going on our cruise. I called ***************** 2 nights ago just to be sure I understood the policy coverage, that as long as this problem is new our trip cost is covered. We're safe! We hope to know more later today after our visit with the GI doc who is making an exception to even see a minor. As stressed as I am over my son's health and trying to keep his pain under control, I cannot imagine if I was staring down the barrel of a potential financial loss of thousands of dollars on top of everything else.

If you never thought you'd need trip insurance, if you are like me & read the stories thinking "So unlikely to be us Im not springing for the extra cost"....Is it worth the risk to be wrong? I promise I will never neglect to buy travel insurance for a cruise vacation ever again.
Oh my goodness, Sweetpee! I am so sorry you and your family are going through this. And so thankful that you had the foresight to get insurance! We knew we would be buying it, just didn't know WHEN to buy it. But your post really resounds with the knowledge that everyone should buy it. Will pray for your son this morning, that the doctor will have much wisdom, his pain to subside, and for a calming peace and comfort for you as mom and dad! Come back and let us know how you are! And thanks for sharing.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #18
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
The one time we had to file a claim, we had a check within a week of sending in the paperwork. Most of the policies you see on insuremytrip are actually sold by reputable insurance companies, not insuremytrip. I don't remember which company underwrote our policy, but they were extremely easy to deal with.
If you have time, would love to know who you used...
Old 04-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullins5 View Post
Oh my goodness, Sweetpee! I am so sorry you and your family are going through this. And so thankful that you had the foresight to get insurance! We knew we would be buying it, just didn't know WHEN to buy it. But your post really resounds with the knowledge that everyone should buy it. Will pray for your son this morning, that the doctor will have much wisdom, his pain to subside, and for a calming peace and comfort for you as mom and dad! Come back and let us know how you are! And thanks for sharing.
Thank you.

A friend pointed out last night that sometimes your credit card companies will offer travel insurance either included (Discover Card has lots of little perks that aren't an additional cost that most people don't even know about) or for an additional fee. She said she paid her credit card company something like $99/year for travel insurance wherever/whenever. That's something I never considered! I haven't had time to go look at what my credit card companies offer but it's worth a look if you're shopping for travel insurance. Good luck!
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #20
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

Quote:
Thank you.

A friend pointed out last night that sometimes your credit card companies will offer travel insurance either included (Discover Card has lots of little perks that aren't an additional cost that most people don't even know about) or for an additional fee. She said she paid her credit card company something like $99/year for travel insurance wherever/whenever. That's something I never considered! I haven't had time to go look at what my credit card companies offer but it's worth a look if you're shopping for travel insurance. Good luck!
A good idea Thanks!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #21
outahere

Quote:
If you have time, would love to know who you used...
It's been several years since we had to file the claim, but I'm sure it was a Travelex policy. Sorry, but I can't recall the insurance company, and no longer have any of the paperwork.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013 / November, 2014
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #22
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

Thanks anyway! There look to be a lot of good ones, just have to do some research
Old 04-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #23
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post
Anyone thinking about buying insurance significantly after paying their depsoit should also get a quote from tripinsurancestore.com. They offer the CSA Freestyle policy that includes a waiver of pre-exisiting coverage if purchased with 24 horus after final payment, which may be the least expensive option for such coverage at that time. -- Suzanne
www.***************** has the CSA Custom Luxe policy that also includes the pre-existing condition waiver if purchased within 24 hours of final payment. Not sure how the cost of the different policies compares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
The one time we had to file a claim, we had a check within a week of sending in the paperwork. Most of the policies you see on insuremytrip are actually sold by reputable insurance companies, not insuremytrip. I don't remember which company underwrote our policy, but they were extremely easy to deal with.
www.***************** is an insurance broker, not an insurance company. All the policies they sell are backed by reputable, highly-rated insurance companies.

Quote:
Thank you.

Just be careful to look at what is and isn't covered. A lot of credit card travel insurance only covers things like lost luggage and "Death and Dismemberment" if you are killed or maimed while on your trip.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #24
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
www.***************** has the CSA Custom Luxe policy that also includes the pre-existing condition waiver if purchased within 24 hours of final payment. Not sure how the cost of the different policies compares.

[snip]Sayhello
The CSA Freedom policy has similar coverage to the CSA Custom, except for the PEC waiver. As a result, the price for the Freedom is usually less than the CSA Custome Luxe policy (although the $$ of coverage are lower as well). For some people and some vacations, the Luxe level of coverage may not be needed and the Freedom will be fine. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #25
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post

www.***************** is an insurance broker, not an insurance company. All the policies they sell are backed by reputable, highly-rated insurance companies.

Just be careful to look at what is and isn't covered. A lot of credit card travel insurance only covers things like lost luggage and "Death and Dismemberment" if you are killed or maimed while on your trip.

Sayhello
Thanks! Think I'll go with insuremytrip. We don't have any preexisting, so I think we'll be good to go (as soon as I get on there and look)

Quote:
The CSA Freedom policy has similar coverage to the CSA Custom, except for the PEC waiver. As a result, the price for the Freedom is usually less than the CSA Custome Luxe policy (although the $$ of coverage are lower as well). For some people and some vacations, the Luxe level of coverage may not be needed and the Freedom will be fine. -- Suzanne
Thanks..Gonna look at CSA Freedom today!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #26
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks! Think I'll go with insuremytrip. We don't have any preexisting, so I think we'll be good to go (as soon as I get on there and look)[snip]
Even if no one travelling has a pre-existing condition, some (but not all) policies also exclude cancellations or interruptions due to pre-existing conditions of family members not travelling with you.

For example, if you step-father is currently fine but has had a heart attack, then he has another incident just before the cruise. If you cancel to help out your Mom, you would not receive a refund because this would not be a covered cancellation under a policy that included the pre-existing conditions of non-travelling family members. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #27
comet1
Earning My Ears

Do you include excursions in the total vacation price? I am doing Alaska, and have 2k booked in excursions, all thru Disney. You don't pay now, but they are non cancelable 3 days out. Is this enforced if you have to cancel the entire cruise? Or even if somebody would get sick on the cruise and not be able to make the excursion?
comet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #28
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

Quote:
Even if no one travelling has a pre-existing condition, some (but not all) policies also exclude cancellations or interruptions due to pre-existing conditions of family members not travelling with you.

For example, if you step-father is currently fine but has had a heart attack, then he has another incident just before the cruise. If you cancel to help out your Mom, you would not receive a refund because this would not be a covered cancellation under a policy that included the pre-existing conditions of non-travelling family members. -- Suzanne
Thanks Suzanne! I never thought about that! So do I ask for specific pre existing conditions when I call insuremytrip? Or just one that covers pre existing? My fil did have heart attacks many, many years ago, so would that count? He's been fine for years..but do you count that? TIA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet1 View Post
Do you include excursions in the total vacation price? I am doing Alaska, and have 2k booked in excursions, all thru Disney. You don't pay now, but they are non cancelable 3 days out. Is this enforced if you have to cancel the entire cruise? Or even if somebody would get sick on the cruise and not be able to make the excursion?
Good question comet1! I am wondering that too! Last time, I didn't include the price of excursions since we did Disney ones. And they said if they had to cancel due to weather, they'd refund. But what if you do have a non-Disney excursion planned? Or someone does get sick before an excursion...
Oh my goodness, all this makes me think you'd have to get insurance for EvERyThing. I didn't do that last time...I guess I was lucky or naive....
Old 04-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #29
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet1 View Post
Quote:

Good question comet1! I am wondering that too! Last time, I didn't include the price of excursions since we did Disney ones. And they said if they had to cancel due to weather, they'd refund. But what if you do have a non-Disney excursion planned? Or someone does get sick before an excursion...
Oh my goodness, all this makes me think you'd have to get insurance for EvERyThing. I didn't do that last time...I guess I was lucky or naive....
I insure all our excursions, both Disney and non-Disney excursions. I read the cancellation policies on the non-Disney excursions, and I either insure 100% of the cost, or I insure the amount of money I won't get back if I cancel last minute.

I injured myself on one of our Disney cruises (stepped wrong on the stairs while heading down to get off the ship at the port we were at and severely injured my ankle, and ended up in the ship hospital). As a result, there was no way I could do the shore excursion our family had planned for that day. The ship doctor wrote a note to guest services stating that I was unable to do this excursion due to medical purposes, and they refunded the full cost of my excursion. However, my DH and kids chose to skip the excursion that day because I was so hurt, and they didn't want to leave me on the ship alone that day. But, guest services would not refund my DH's and kid's excursion even though he explained why they were skipping (to stay back and keep an eye on me). We did not have trip insurance on that trip (it was this trip that made us realize how important it is to have trip insurance!), so we just lost the money on the excursion (luckily, it wasn't a very expensive excursion, so we didn't lose much). So, I'm sure it is all case by case, but from my experience, unless the ship doctor writes a note to guest services requesting a refund for your excursion because medically, you are unable to do the excursion, I don't think Disney will refund your excursion if you cancel. My father-in-law got a sinus infection on one of our cruises, and he had a snorkeling excursion planned. He went to the ship doctor and asked if they could write note to get a refund for the excursion (because his sinuses were not in any good condition to be snorkeling), and the doctor would not write a note because the doctor said he could still go on the excursion, but just not get in the water (ie, just sit on the boat). So, I don't think the ship doctor just freely writes notes to refund an excursion due to being sick... I think you have to be very obviously unable to get off the ship. But, again, I'm sure it's just all case by case.

However, Disney does have the ability to refund you your excursion if they chose to. We had one excursion planned in St. Thomas and it was POURING rain that day (even thundering). We got to our meeting spot for the excursion (not super excited about doing the excursion in the pouring rain and thunder), and the Cast Members said if anyone wants to cancel they will refund because there was no sign the rain was going to let up at all that day. So, we cancelled and got a refund. It is cases like this where Disney cancels or gives the option to cancel due to bad weather, or if the ship just simply is unable to get a port, then Disney will refund you in this case.

Oh, and regarding my injury, thank goodness, our medical insurance covered my ship hospital costs, so we were covered there! Phew! We learned a big lesson from that trip about the value of trip insurance!!

That said, I get trip insurance for all our cruises/vacations now, and I include all expenses I could potentially lose if I cancel last minute, or we get sick or hurt, or something prevents us from going (natural disaster, etc.). This includes airfare, full cruise fare, 1st night's hotel (since most hotels will charge the full cost of one night if you cancel last minute, however, read the hotel cancellation policy because some hotels will charge the full amount of your stay if you cancel within a certain time period).

Basically, unless it is 100% refundable, even if you cancel last minute, I insure it.

When I buy trip insurance, I hope it won't ever need to be used, but it is very comforting to know we are covered if anything unexpected happens.
LovesToRun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: