Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Eric in TX
Belle, it's about time you got your head out of those books and started thinking about more important things....like me.

Booking early for ADR's vs. Waiting for Discounts

Hi All,

I'm planning a trip the first week of November that will have six family members spread over two rooms. If there is a discount, we'd like to stay at WL. If there ends up being no discount, we'll bump down to POR.

So here is my quandry: We'd like to get a few of the tougher ADR's, and our 180 day window is approaching in a few weeks. Obviously we'd like to have a reservation by that point. But we know that any discounts for that timeframe most likely won't be announced until at least July - if not August.

I think we're leaning towards making a non-discounted reservation within the next few weeks so we can get some ADR's going. Should we book at WL and then if there are no discounts by mid-September (45 day cancellation for packages) cancel the WL reservation and rebook at POR? Or should we book at POR, and then if a discount is released in Aug try to rebook for WL?

I've talked myself around in circles and have decided on one plan only to convince myself that I should do the opposite at least 3 - 4 times already.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
kellyjeanie
DIS Veteran

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in but if I'm understanding you correctly I'm in the same boat, and I've been told that you can book ADRs without having a room reservation, you just don't get the 180+10 benefit. So you have to get up and book each ADR on the proper day vs. doing it all at once.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Meggysmum
Mouseketeer

I think I may be missing the point but surely you can make your reservations at 180 days without an accomodation reservation? I couldn't get my 180+10 to work online and I didn't feel like calling so I just went online as the ADRs opened each day and grabbed what I wanted.

I wasn't after the princess breakfast but got everything else I wanted on the 180 day mark.
Meggysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

I would look at the historic discounts to see how likely it is that a discount might be released for your time frame. If discounts have usually been issued in the past, then it is a possibility that discounts might be issued this time. If a discount has never been issued for that time period in the past, then I would book the resort that I could afford.

Here is the Mousesavers website listing the historic discounts. Keep in mind that not all blackout dates are included within a discount period. And sometimes they make a mistake.

http://www.mousesavers.com/historica...ort-discounts/

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Shaden
DIS Veteran

You can very much book your ADRs WITHOUT a room/resort reservation. Go ahead and book your ADRs and then continue to wait for your discount, thats what we did for our upcoming trip in may.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
Sue M
DIS Veteran

You can do it either way, if you don't have a res, you'll just have to book your ADRs daily.
If you choose to book a resort res, I'd book what you can afford now, Por, then if a good discount comes out, switch to WL.
If you do book now, book what type of res you will plan on having for your trip. Room only or package. Reason being if you book room only now, then switch to a package if discounts come out, you'll have the hassle of cancelling, having to get refund, and rebooking a package. For some reason Disney books Room Only & Packages with 2 different Disney branches.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Eric in TX
Belle, it's about time you got your head out of those books and started thinking about more important things....like me.

Thanks all.

It never even occurred to me to just book the ADR's day-by-day as each one hits 180 days. Talk about missing the forest for the trees.....

Historical discounts over the past few years do show fairly consistent discounts for Oct-Nov-Dec being released around the end of summer. I'm hoping that this year they do the same 20% off WL or FD. We'll see.

Part of me feels like booking the POR is conceding defeat and accepting that no discounts will be offered. But the planner in me is already unhappy that we're approaching 6 months out and don't have rooms reserved! Sometimes it's stressful being the designated Disney planner in the family!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric in TX View Post
Hi All,

I'm planning a trip the first week of November that will have six family members spread over two rooms. If there is a discount, we'd like to stay at WL. If there ends up being no discount, we'll bump down to POR.

So here is my quandry: We'd like to get a few of the tougher ADR's, and our 180 day window is approaching in a few weeks. Obviously we'd like to have a reservation by that point. But we know that any discounts for that timeframe most likely won't be announced until at least July - if not August.

I think we're leaning towards making a non-discounted reservation within the next few weeks so we can get some ADR's going. Should we book at WL and then if there are no discounts by mid-September (45 day cancellation for packages) cancel the WL reservation and rebook at POR? Or should we book at POR, and then if a discount is released in Aug try to rebook for WL?

I've talked myself around in circles and have decided on one plan only to convince myself that I should do the opposite at least 3 - 4 times already.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!
I would book your fallback resort and make your 180+10 ADRs and if a WL discont comes out then upgrade.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
I would book your fallback resort and make your 180+10 ADRs and if a WL discont comes out then upgrade.
This is what I would do. If you will definitely go and stay at POR without a discount, I'd book POR to make sure you get the room type you want. Then, if a discount comes out and the WL is available, I'd call and switch over to WL with the discount.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
tinkerbella16
DIS Veteran

I am also going to be there the same week, staying at POR. I make my ADR's on May 10th!!! You can make ressies even if you don't have a room booked.

tinkerbella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
Eric in TX

Yes, I think that's what we're going to do. Get POR booked and ADR's made, and then upgrade to WL if the predicted discounts come out.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: