Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
BiffMan
Earning My Ears

Category advice for a noob on the Wonder

Hi all, after much delay, we're finally taking our first cruise! DW, DD (9), DS (7), and I are on the Wonder out of Galveston and are currently booked in a 9D due to a nice discount from the WON code. I'm very excited to be on the boat at all, but am now seriously considering an upgrade, and just suck up the cost difference.

Since this is a trip for DW's 50th birthday, I'd really like to give her a nice surprise, so I'm going to give in to my demons and bump up to a verandah room. For those that have been in both, could you let me know what you think of the extra space in the 4A vs 5A-C? Also, do you prefer a higher deck, or is anything in decks 5-8 pretty similar? I'm a little concerned about noise levels as DW is quite the napper and may very well spend a good chunk of the trip in the room and I may spend a good bit of time on the verandah.

Don't think we can afford concierge this time around, but I'd be up for any of the verandah level ones, just trying to figure out which category is likely to be the best fit for us.

Thanks in advance! Disney, Disney, Disney!!!
First trip in 1972!! - First Epcot trip in 1986 - CBR 12/91 - CBR 8/95 - CR 3/96 - DL 5/96 - BWI 8/97 - CR 10/97 - BWI 8/98 - Honeymoon at BWI!! 10/99 - CBR 9/2000 - POR 10/01 - Disneyland Paris 10/02 - AKL 12/03 - BWV 12/03 - POFQ 4/04 - POFQ 9/04 - ASSp 12/05 - POR 9/06 - COR 5/07 - COR 12/08 - POR 12/08 - Hong Kong Disneyland 3/09 - POFQ 10/09 - POFQ 10/10 - POP 12/11 - Wonder 9/13
BiffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
Aggiegrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiffMan View Post
Hi all, after much delay, we're finally taking our first cruise! DW, DD (9), DS (7), and I are on the Wonder out of Galveston and are currently booked in a 9D due to a nice discount from the WON code. I'm very excited to be on the boat at all, but am now seriously considering an upgrade, and just suck up the cost difference.

Since this is a trip for DW's 50th birthday, I'd really like to give her a nice surprise, so I'm going to give in to my demons and bump up to a verandah room. For those that have been in both, could you let me know what you think of the extra space in the 4A vs 5A-C? Also, do you prefer a higher deck, or is anything in decks 5-8 pretty similar? I'm a little concerned about noise levels as DW is quite the napper and may very well spend a good chunk of the trip in the room and I may spend a good bit of time on the verandah.

Don't think we can afford concierge this time around, but I'd be up for any of the verandah level ones, just trying to figure out which category is likely to be the best fit for us.

Thanks in advance! Disney, Disney, Disney!!!
Hmmm...sounds like you might be on the 9/28 cruise from Galveston? If so...come join us over here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post48114235

I can't give you advice on the one category versus another, as I've never been in a 4A. If you choose one of the regular balcony cabins though, my biggest advice is to check out the deck plans. Make sure you are okay with whatever is above you and below you. For instance, the Deck 5 balcony/aft cabins have a dining room under them. Occasionally you might hear vacuuming or moving tables.

...we also have the WON rate on a 9D, as do a majority of people over on our cruise meet thread. It's such a great rate. We too considered upgrading to a balcony, but decided to use our money in a different way. For the price difference, we could eat at Palo every night for dinner, get rainforest room passes, book a couple's spa villa session, and STILL have a couple hundred left for champagne, drinks, presents on board, etc. To me, those things will make our cruise more special than a balcony...but we've cruised with a balcony before. Just a thought to consider, to each their own.

Your wife sounds like a super lucky person!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
BiffMan
Earning My Ears

That's an excellent point about what else we could do to enhance the cruise with that $1600-2000 so that's probably the best way to plan it. I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind being surprised by a massage or 2 or 3...

Would still be interested to hear anyone's opinions on the different levels of verandah rooms in case I get twitchy and decide to upgrade in port or something.

Thank you!!
First trip in 1972!! - First Epcot trip in 1986 - CBR 12/91 - CBR 8/95 - CR 3/96 - DL 5/96 - BWI 8/97 - CR 10/97 - BWI 8/98 - Honeymoon at BWI!! 10/99 - CBR 9/2000 - POR 10/01 - Disneyland Paris 10/02 - AKL 12/03 - BWV 12/03 - POFQ 4/04 - POFQ 9/04 - ASSp 12/05 - POR 9/06 - COR 5/07 - COR 12/08 - POR 12/08 - Hong Kong Disneyland 3/09 - POFQ 10/09 - POFQ 10/10 - POP 12/11 - Wonder 9/13
Old 04-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

I was in Cabin #6578 (Category 5B) on the Wonder last month. I loved that cabin and would book it again in the future. The location was midship (Deck 6). Close to the elevators/stairs, but not too close. Very quiet. I had a plexiglass verandah and watched the fireworks on Pirate Night from my balcony. It felt like a private fireworks show. Loved it - perfect location on the ship.

Hope this is helpful. Have fun on your cruise!

Last edited by antmaril; 04-16-2013 at 01:51 PM.
antmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
ChloroFiend
DIS Veteran

DW and I were on the first cruise out of Galveston this past Sep and had a 6A room; having the option to sit on the verandah was awesome. Even just opening the door to wake up to the fresh air in the morning was totally epic. Yeah, having the solid white wall (vs. clear plexiglass) was somewhat...jarring maybe? It would have been way cooler to be able to see through it.

We're on the 9/28 out of Galveston and are going with a 7A (Navigator's Verandah) this time. We figure it's going to be roughly the same as the 6A we had last time.

I've got a hunch we'll try a Cat5 on an upcoming voyage...just because. I highly doubt we'll ever sail without a verandah though.
ChloroFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

If you want to do something really nice for her save the money from the upgrade and book her multiple days in the spa being pampered with the money. Just a thought.....
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiegrl View Post
Hmmm...sounds like you might be on the 9/28 cruise from Galveston? If so...come join us over here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post48114235

I can't give you advice on the one category versus another, as I've never been in a 4A. If you choose one of the regular balcony cabins though, my biggest advice is to check out the deck plans. Make sure you are okay with whatever is above you and below you. For instance, the Deck 5 balcony/aft cabins have a dining room under them. Occasionally you might hear vacuuming or moving tables.

...we also have the WON rate on a 9D, as do a majority of people over on our cruise meet thread. It's such a great rate. We too considered upgrading to a balcony, but decided to use our money in a different way. For the price difference, we could eat at Palo every night for dinner, get rainforest room passes, book a couple's spa villa session, and STILL have a couple hundred left for champagne, drinks, presents on board, etc. To me, those things will make our cruise more special than a balcony...but we've cruised with a balcony before. Just a thought to consider, to each their own.

Your wife sounds like a super lucky person!
Just to clarify, you actually can't eat at Palo every night. Guests are limited to 1 Palo dinner & 1 Palo brunch per cruise.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
ChloroFiend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
Just to clarify, you actually can't eat at Palo every night. Guests are limited to 1 Palo dinner & 1 Palo brunch per cruise.
That's actually incorrect. You're limited to one pre-boarding reservation for each, per cruise. However, once you board you can book as many meals as you want...subject to availability.
ChloroFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
Aggiegrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloroFiend View Post
That's actually incorrect. You're limited to one pre-boarding reservation for each, per cruise. However, once you board you can book as many meals as you want...subject to availability.
On our 4 night from Galveston this year, the brunches were booked but the dinners were entirely open. We met a couple that had 3 dinners and a brunch in 4 days. The brunches were available for booking up to about 20 days before sailing. It seems like Palo wasn't in high demand.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiegrl View Post
On our 4 night from Galveston this year, the brunches were booked but the dinners were entirely open. We met a couple that had 3 dinners and a brunch in 4 days. The brunches were available for booking up to about 20 days before sailing. It seems like Palo wasn't in high demand.
Wow, that must be new. In 13 Disney cruises, I've never heard of that.
I wonder when this started.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloroFiend View Post
DW and I were on the first cruise out of Galveston this past Sep and had a 6A room; having the option to sit on the verandah was awesome. Even just opening the door to wake up to the fresh air in the morning was totally epic. Yeah, having the solid white wall (vs. clear plexiglass) was somewhat...jarring maybe? It would have been way cooler to be able to see through it.

We're on the 9/28 out of Galveston and are going with a 7A (Navigator's Verandah) this time. We figure it's going to be roughly the same as the 6A we had last time.

I've got a hunch we'll try a Cat5 on an upcoming voyage...just because. I highly doubt we'll ever sail without a verandah though.

I agree. We used to be very content with a cat 9 on deck 2. As our kids got older (in Vibe & Edge) we had more freedom. We tried a balcony knowing we'd have more time to relax out there. I don't know that we'd ever go back. We love the fresh air the most.

I'm really not into spa stuff or shopping; I'm happy if I just make one stop: the future cruise desk.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They are limited to that for advanced reservations. Once on the cruise, you can try to book more.

Another trick is to have one person book dinner and brunch for one, the other to book another day, and then add the partner once on the ship. There is always room at a table for one for another person.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
kiford
Mouseketeer

We usually book a 5A but got upgraded once to a 4A. There is definitely a size difference but for 2 people it`s not really necessary. This was on a 10-day Med cruise and we were going to Germany for a week afterwards so we had lots of luggage. Didn`t really need the extra space even for the amount that we had.

We had no issues being on deck 8 but I still prefer deck 7. Six is fine too but seven is my preference.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
Aggiegrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow, that must be new. In 13 Disney cruises, I've never heard of that.
I wonder when this started.
Have you sailed from Galveston though? I'm going to guess the guests on this itinerary were quite different than the Port Canaveral norm.

That 4 night cruise was originally changed from an (apparently unsellable) 8 night and had multiple discounts including KSF. We sailed in an inside, deck 6, 2 a/1c for about $1200. We were told the ship was about 85% Texans, and I'd guess most were first time cruisers. The vibe was certainly 30 somethings and their toddler to preschool aged kids.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
BiffMan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiford View Post
We usually book a 5A but got upgraded once to a 4A. There is definitely a size difference but for 2 people it`s not really necessary. This was on a 10-day Med cruise and we were going to Germany for a week afterwards so we had lots of luggage. Didn`t really need the extra space even for the amount that we had.

We had no issues being on deck 8 but I still prefer deck 7. Six is fine too but seven is my preference.
Thanks, just the sort of thing I was looking for! I presume there's a decent amount of noise on 6 and 8? Is the noise just something you're aware of, or is it of a 'no way you can sleep through that' level? The wife is quite a napper, so a little noise is fine, but if it's incredibly distracting, we'll need to plan accordingly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: