Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #46
Spencerfamily
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know/ have experience of using a power strip with adaptor plugs. All our chargers will have UK plugs on them so am assuming we will have to buy a power strip such as the Belkin and then add adaptors to it and then plug our chargers etc in. Is that safe?! I have no idea about these things but know I will need to charge cameras and definitely have some way of sorting my hair during our stay!
Spencerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #47
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencerfamily View Post
Does anyone know/ have experience of using a power strip with adaptor plugs. All our chargers will have UK plugs on them so am assuming we will have to buy a power strip such as the Belkin and then add adaptors to it and then plug our chargers etc in. Is that safe?! I have no idea about these things but know I will need to charge cameras and definitely have some way of sorting my hair during our stay!
My suggestion would be if you can get a power strip in the UK then you would only need the one adaptor plug

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #48
TravelTone
Jedi Knight and Friend of Mickey Mouse

Thank you for bringing this subject up, as we always pack an extension or surge protector with us to use at airports and in hotel rooms. I will also be traveling with a CPAP machine, and thanks to the advice here, I contacted DCL and they noted it onto my reservation. On another posting, I saw that Distilled Water, which is needed for the machine, could be requested from DCL as well, which they also noted.
Last year, on the Magic, the outlets nearest to the bed were completely not useful, and luckily we had an extension cord with us that we ran under the bed. Nothing was mentioned to us at the port or Customs, and Room Service actually tucked it in neater for us, so that we wouldn't trip.
For our upcoming trip, aboard the Fantasy, I was informed that there are outlets near the bed that can be used for this. Thanks again for the head's up. I never noticed the ban on that before. Now we have to hope our resort (before the cruise) has enough outlets we can plug into.
TravelTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #49
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Depends which ship you're talking about.

On the classic ships, I know there's an outlet on the desk (2 outlets) as well as the double one behind the TV. And there's an outlet for razors in the bathroom. There is an outlet for the clock by the bed, but it really back underneath the bed and difficult to get to.

I don't know the specifics on the new ships, but I've read there are more.

Here's a picture of the one on the desk (wavephone cord is going behind TV)

Thank you. That's plenty. No power strip for us.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #50
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Cpap machines

Have the use of the cpap noted on your reservation. Mention the extension cord as part of the medical equipment. Also request the distilled water.

Pack your extension cord in the cpap bag and carry it with you as a carry on. Never check it. That extension cord is part of the medical equipment.

While DCL may have a reason to prefer you use their extension cord on the ship for electrical reasons, your extension cord is part of the medical equipment. As such they can not take it away from you. You just repack it in the cpap bag. Do not allow them to hold it for you.

Should they insist, raise heck. Do not let it leave your possession without an argument involving an officer.

Insist that they do not take it as you may need it post cruise in hotel rooms.
Do not risk a substitute. Extension cords can die. We test ours regularly and replace it when we replace other parts of the cpap.

If they insist you use theirs/ test it. Should it fail, it could mean the life of the user. We are not willing to risk that unless the head engineer tells us that our cord will harm the ship and after the ships doctor explains to the officer the liability of using their cord instead should it fail.

Yes, it is that important medically.

For those not in the know- a cpap machine prevents the person that uses it from stopping breathing while they sleep. That extension cord is the most tested thing in our bags. If the extension cord were bad, The machine would be useless. Do not risk equipment failure by accepting a replacement extension cord if it can be helped.

Taking the extension cord away is like taking away the needle for the insulin when you are diabetic. Only having one part won't do any good without the other.

On our first trip, the Wonder 10A, we needed that extension cord. We could not reach an outlet by our bed. Just had to unplug it each morning. Our steward never did understand the cpap machine. We did not know to have it marked on our reservation.

That being said, since then- on the Fantasy, no problem with an outlet by the bed, never needed the cord. Distilled water was provided. Nice easy room for cpap setup.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: