Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #31
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Not sure I could deal with this, my mom has had bouts of vertigo so it is in my genes too. Hmmmm.....don't know if the cruise is worth this, but I don't want to wreck it for our whole family! Thanks for the info though.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #32
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Not sure I could deal with this, my mom has had bouts of vertigo so it is in my genes too. Hmmmm.....don't know if the cruise is worth this, but I don't want to wreck it for our whole family! Thanks for the info though.
Don't let it discourage you! Just try some of the options listed on previous posts! We were in 18ft swells, 7 of us, but we had all taken chewable Bonine, and all made it fine...during and after. And my hubs and daughter have terrible times usually! Enjoy your cruise!

'93 off-site WDW, '94 CBR May & Oct., '98 CBR, '01 CBR, '04 CBR, '05 Peabody, '06 Pop, '06 Embassy Suites, '08 CBR, '09 CBR, '10 CBR, '11 Oct Disney Magic, '12 May CBR, '13 Sept Disney Wonder, Planning for 2015 EBTA!
sullins5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #33
Grooovertoo
DIS Dad #572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda9mm View Post
It's possible you have this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_de_debarquement

Take care!

Meredith in Utah
Wow, glad to know they have a name for it. The last time we cruised we all had this too.

I think the only remedy is to ride the tea cups a few times
DisDAD Member #572 Dave Darla & Dana (9)

Grooovertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #34
Ready to go
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE="Grooovertoo;48120596"]

Because I have suffered bouts of vertigo since 2000, I shied away from cruising. When my brother was able to get us a TA rate in 2011 on the Wonder we jumped on it, but I was constantly freaking out thinking about it bringing on Virtigo. I did a lot of research and ended up reading about a doctor who had good results with patients avoiding Mal De Debarquement after cruising by putting them on a low dose of Valium. Well, I took article to doctor who said it was worth a try. So, for my cruise I had the patch, low dose Valium, Bonine and crystallized ginger. I had a great time, not ill at all, and after the cruise I finished the patch for the last two days and finished my prescription and no dizziness at all! In fact I had to snicker when my husband said he still felt he was on the ship (he thought I was crazy with all my meds)! I will be going on fantasy in two weeks, and yes, I am taking my Valium!!!!

Dream Fish Extender January 5, 2014 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0SFNNV0E#gid=0
Ready to go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #35
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

I had this issue after getting off the Fantasy in December and it was the most noticeable sitting at the airport. It was very odd and really just annoying but it did last a few days. There were several on our cruise thread that had the same experience. I thought the rocking/rolling coming back into Port Canaveral was a lot more pronounced than my two Dream sailings which I had *no* issues with afterwards. I take Bonine, 24 hour chewable, every night at dinner, no matter what as a just in case and I've been fine during the cruise.

So - it happens and I've read it's best to keep taking the Bonine (or whatever you choose) *after* as others have mentioned too.

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 9/2014 (Dream for my Mom), 4/2015 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #36
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

I've experienced this but it hasn't been severe. When I feel it I'll take 2 dramamines (old school I know) and that normally nips it in the bud.
I also get migraines and found that if I take one right when I feel one coming it sometimes heads it of. My doctor has no idea why it works but she said hey its safe so if it works go for it.
gotomu212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #37
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

The best relief for the post cruise wobblies is Tower of Terror every hour for a couple of days. I guess the up/down counteracts the port/starboard motion/feeling.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #38
racingfandj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozzypop View Post
I suffered through bouts of mal de debarquement after each of our two cruises (2011 & 2012). Not to try and shock anyone, but each bout lasted weeks after the cruise - not days!

I suffer from periodic ear infections, so I am sure that has something to do with it. I am almost never seasick though (just once on a wild BC Ferry ride). Apparently, a propensity for migraines (from which I also suffer) is also a common thread for sufferers of MDD.

The first time I was quite miserable, but I expected it the second time. I found it best to just ignore the rocking and rolling. I knew it was there, but it seemed to fade away faster once I made up my mind not to dwell on it.
I was about to write this exact thing less the frequent ear infections. I fit the descriptions for MDD...age, female, frequent migraines. Mine also lasted several weeks following a 7-day cruise. I wasn't dizzy all of the time, but would get light-headed when I would get up from sitting. I was in the middle of a ramping onto a new migraine med after our last cruise, so was unsure how much was that versus MDD. Co-workers were asking why I would keep cruising if it had this affect. Those people have never been on a cruise.
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Wonder - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
Dream - November 2015
racingfandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #39
m&m123
Mouseketeer

Disembarkment syndrome

A friend of mine developed disembarkment syndrome after her cruise in December and is still having lingering effects of balance and movement issues. She is trying everything to get better and nothing yet. (Meds,acupuncture, chiro, therapy etc.).
Is there anybody out there who has had it linger for this long?

I am looking to see if anyone has some suggestions I can give her as she is not on these boards. Her type is pretty rare and not much is known.

m&m123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #40
clarefb
Mouseketeer

I get it too & it's miserable. The last cruise & started taking bonine the last day (day we were disembarking) & I was fine! I don't suffer from sea sickness, or vertigo, or ear infections.

I think I took them for 4 days. I have to tell you, the worst thing was walking around a store - I swear I almost threw up in target I felt so dizzy

Good luck all

clarefb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #41
m&m123
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m123 View Post
A friend of mine developed disembarkment syndrome after her cruise in December and is still having lingering effects of balance and movement issues. She is trying everything to get better and nothing yet. (Meds,acupuncture, chiro, therapy etc.).
Is there anybody out there who has had it linger for this long?

I am looking to see if anyone has some suggestions I can give her as she is not on these boards. Her type is pretty rare and not much is known.
As I typed my new post this other question about dizziness got bumped up. Looks like my question was merged with this one! Why? I had a specific question to diser's to ask for help with someone who has now had this syndrome for 4 months. She knows what it is called!
Just looking for some help from those that have the rare kind that doesn't seem to go away.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:54 AM   #42
Stinkerbell1973
DIS Veteran

FWIW, the post cruise dizziness I've been experiencing since Saturday is finally gone!
I ended up not taking anything.

Oct 08, Oct 09, Sept 10, Feb 11, Sept 13 - Ft. Wilderness | Mar 11 - All Star Sports | Sept 11 - Pop Century
Dec 11 - Christmas at Fort Wilderness | Feb 12 - Coronado Springs | Oct 12 - Paradise Pier (Disneyland) | Dec 12 - Port Orleans French Quarter | Dec 13 - Caribbean Beach

Disney Fantasy - Apr 2013, Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic - May/June 2014, Mediterranean

Sept 14 - Fort Wilderness
Stinkerbell1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #43
diesel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m123 View Post
As I typed my new post this other question about dizziness got bumped up. Looks like my question was merged with this one! Why? I had a specific question to diser's to ask for help with someone who has now had this syndrome for 4 months. She knows what it is called!
Just looking for some help from those that have the rare kind that doesn't seem to go away.
My husband had it for about 6 months after our cruise. Still suffers from it 2 yrs later after flying on a plane or long car rides. Doesn’t last as long as 6 months but at least a few weeks. When he first had the symptoms (after 3 months) he went to his dr. and they did an MRI and CAT scan to rule out any other issue. There is no cure or treatment. The Dr.s did prescribe an anti-anxiety med that would help with the symptoms but they said time is the only way it clears up. I wish your friend luck. My husband was so miserable for those 6 months.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #44
m&m123
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel View Post
My husband had it for about 6 months after our cruise. Still suffers from it 2 yrs later after flying on a plane or long car rides. Doesn’t last as long as 6 months but at least a few weeks. When he first had the symptoms (after 3 months) he went to his dr. and they did an MRI and CAT scan to rule out any other issue. There is no cure or treatment. The Dr.s did prescribe an anti-anxiety med that would help with the symptoms but they said time is the only way it clears up. I wish your friend luck. My husband was so miserable for those 6 months.
Thanks for the Info!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #45
disjest8
Proud Parent of 8

I usually get the land leg syndrome for a few days to a few weeks each time we cruise. Unfortunately on our last cruise, I got terrible bed spinning vertigo the last night and have had it since....5 weeks and 4 days! I'm having some additional tests done next week, but my doctor is relatively confident that it's a type of vertigo due to re-positioning of particles in the inner ear. Our last day and night were pretty choppy and she thinks that may have triggered it. The link below tells more about it.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vertigo/DS00534

The good news is that simple physical therapy can frequently provide relief. I have my first physical therapy appointment tomorrow, so I'll try to post an update this weekend.

While the vertigo is definitely an irritant, it won't stop me from cruising. I'm booked on an 8 day on the Magic on May 10th. Call me crazy.

Mar 2013 - DCL Wonder and DCL Dream/May 2013 - DCL Magic
Mar 2012 - Freedom of the Seas/Sep 2012 - BLT, BCV,Oasis of the Seas
Mar 2011 - OKW,Carnival Dream
Feb 2010 - Pop Century and Freedom of the Seas
Mar 2009 - Independence of the Seas/Sep 2009 - BCV,Carnival Legend
Feb 2008 - Navigator of the Seas/Sep 2008 - Pop Century and DCL Wonder
Mar 2007 - SSR,DCL Wonder/Sep 2007 - AKV & DCL Magic Western/Nov 2007 - Shades of Green
Apr 2006 - Orbit One/Nov 2006 - BCV,BWV,DCL Wonder
Jan 2005 - Cypress Pointe Grand Villas/Sep 2005 - BCV,OKW,DCL Wonder
disjest8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: