Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
NEmel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkerbell1973
The timing of this post is impeccable. Just got off the Fantasy on Saturday. Never had a moments issue with sea sickness but GOOD LORD I have struggled ever since we got off. I think DH thinks I'm making it up.
Just off the Dream on Thursday and I'm still rocking! The only time it doesn't bother me is laying flat. My hubby tells me its in my head too! I do get motion sickness and wear a patch onboard, but had no problem this time, just now.
NEmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #17
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

I've had the same feeling both after cruises and after being on my parents pontoon boat. Meclizine or Bonine (OTC Meclizine) helped. The worst time I had was my honeymoon, but I also had a bad case of vertigo four days before my wedding and was still getting over it.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

For those of you who have experienced this, are you also prone to sea sickness? I am really nervous of our cruise now, it is only a 3 night, but I do get sea sick, and it would be a nightmare to experience this land sickness too.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #19
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
For those of you who have experienced this, are you also prone to sea sickness? I am really nervous of our cruise now, it is only a 3 night, but I do get sea sick, and it would be a nightmare to experience this land sickness too.
I do not get sea sick. I am prone to ear infections though .. so perhaps it's my ears that cause me to get "land sick" every time.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #20
gomagic
Go Bucks!

Quote:
No sea sickness here.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #21
ktb2002
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEmel View Post

Just off the Dream on Thursday and I'm still rocking! The only time it doesn't bother me is laying flat. My hubby tells me its in my head too! I do get motion sickness and wear a patch onboard, but had no problem this time, just now.
Too funny the worst I feel it is laying down lol. I normally feel it for about 2 or 3 days after.

Wonder 12/21/08, Dream 03/27/12, Fantasy 07/14/12, Dream 10/07/12, Dream 10/11/12, Fantasy 05/25/13, Magic 12/22/13, Magic 12/27/13, Magic 12/30/13, Fantasy 05/31/14
ktb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #22
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

I get this something awful- rooms away, can't walk/stand straight, beds move. It was the worst after our last cruise- and now I even get it if we drive long distances. I'm hoping my Dr. will help me out with the meds before our next cruise because if she won't I think that may be the end of cruising for me. It seriously lasts 3+ weeks for me!!
DCL Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy February 2014

Next up... DCL Eastern aboard the Fantasy with NO KIDS February 2015! And we're GOLD, Baby!
moomy-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #23
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Quote:
Before this I had never been on a boat long enough to know if I get sea sick. I am prone to motion sickness though. I wore a sea sickness patch to prevent myself from getting sea sick. It worked great! I felt really good until I got off the ship.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #24
lozzypop
Mouseketeer

I suffered through bouts of mal de debarquement after each of our two cruises (2011 & 2012). Not to try and shock anyone, but each bout lasted weeks after the cruise - not days!

I suffer from periodic ear infections, so I am sure that has something to do with it. I am almost never seasick though (just once on a wild BC Ferry ride). Apparently, a propensity for migraines (from which I also suffer) is also a common thread for sufferers of MDD.

The first time I was quite miserable, but I expected it the second time. I found it best to just ignore the rocking and rolling. I knew it was there, but it seemed to fade away faster once I made up my mind not to dwell on it.
lozzypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #25
BeeTeacher
Mouseketeer

I'm nearly a month off our 7 night western and I'm still dizzy. Not like then ground is moving but a weird waves of light headedness. My doc thinks this is not cruise related so I'm having gobs of testing done. It's driving me BATTY.

1st Cruise 3 night DISNEY DREAM 2/2/12
Trip Report Our First Cruise
WDW: Too many times to count!

BeeTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #26
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozzypop View Post
I suffered through bouts of mal de debarquement after each of our two cruises (2011 & 2012). Not to try and shock anyone, but each bout lasted weeks after the cruise - not days!

I suffer from periodic ear infections, so I am sure that has something to do with it. I am almost never seasick though (just once on a wild BC Ferry ride). Apparently, a propensity for migraines (from which I also suffer) is also a common thread for sufferers of MDD.

The first time I was quite miserable, but I expected it the second time. I found it best to just ignore the rocking and rolling. I knew it was there, but it seemed to fade away faster once I made up my mind not to dwell on it.
I wish I could ignore it! When I bend over and stand up, I almost fall over as the room spins. When I lay down the bed moves- even when my head is on a pillow I feel like my head is lower than my feet. I always feel like I'm going to fall out of bed too. When I stand still the ground leans to one side.
I used to enjoy the slight rocking when I payed down- it felt like I was back on the ship! But I never experience dizziness/sea sickness on board so those symptoms are unwelcome souvenirs!
DCL Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy February 2014

Next up... DCL Eastern aboard the Fantasy with NO KIDS February 2015! And we're GOLD, Baby!
moomy-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #27
diesel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda9mm View Post
It's possible you have this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_de_debarquement

Take care!

Meredith in Utah
My husband got this after our second cruise in 2011. It lasted 6 months and he still gets bouts of it every once and a while usually after traveling on a plane. There is no cure and they tell him that if he goes on a cruise again that it will happen again. Unfortunately my husband will now never go on a cruise again after having this. I'm sad because I loved cruising but I understand his hesitation about going. Imagine being sick for over 6 months with this. Some people suffer with it for years.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #28
aenan
Earning My Ears

This has been helpful for me to read about! I get vertigo a few times a year and it's terrible! I've been worried about the cruise and getting sea sick and have heard over and over that it shouldn't be a problem. I never even thought about the after effects! I will make sure to pack some extra medication for after the trip!
aenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #29
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

Ok...I have to add this remedy and nope, it's not a joke! My friend who uses holistic approaches told me to tell my hubs about this after after long flights, dizziness, etc. Are you ready? You're going to ...litterally!

She said the minute you can to "Hug a TREE"... not kidding! We haven't tried it yet, but she said it 'grounds' you...I think it's hysterical...but who knows? If it works, it works!!! Hope you all get the remedies you need!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #30
martinm
Grumpy Old Man

Oh my, thank you for this thread...

The only people that have spent more time than I have on a boat/ small craft than I have are fisherman. I was considering being a six pack charter captain specializing in shallow off shore trips near Santa Cruz, CA. I have thousands of hours logged.

The Pacific will bring out sea sickness in you if your going to get it. I don't get sea sick, never happened. What does happen is I can't get off the water. The ground continues to move under my feet. The toilet rocks like there are 8 foot swells. I cannot pass a field sobriety check after fishing and I do NOT drink while working on small craft. I do not get sick from this sensation but it does make it very hard to rest.

I only need to be on the water a couple hours to get this.

I thought it was just me.

When I cruise the sensation is MUCH milder. It is the difference between a 20ft craft and a 1000ft ship. The difference is exactly like the difference in the felt movement. Its like I'm storing up the motion
martinm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: