Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 03:31 AM   #1
MeeskaMooskaMickey
Mouseketeer

Questions about the "Wilderness"

Hi, we are going to Hoop de Doo (6.15) showing, and are hoping to combine it with some time at the Wilderness campground and resort. From reading the details I'm not really sure how close together these are, is it walkable or do you need to use public transport? How much time could we feasibly spend here (without doing a TS meal)

Also, has anyone done the pony treks? My daughter (10 yrs) is interested in doing this but is a complete beginner so would it be a safe activity for her to do alone?

Thanks for the advice
MeeskaMooskaMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #2
Kimberle
WL Vet

Hoop Dee Doo and most of the "public" areas are fairly close to the boat dock. My dd did the pony rides when she was little. They are pretty much for little kids. They sit on a pony and you (parent) leads it around a circle. Closed toe shoe is required. FW does have actual horse rides, too. Perhaps the whole family can participate.

It's pretty easy to get to HDD. I don't know where you are coming from, so I'll give a couple suggestions. Take one of the boats from the MK. Take a boat from WL or CR.

I'd also ask on the camping board.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
Goofy4
DIS Veteran

Here's a PDF map: http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/fwmap.pdf

The activities are primary at the top, along with the marina. The WDW bus transportation drop-off and parking are at the bottom. From there you can ride internal transportation.

The movie and campfire are close to the center of the resort. You'll need to check times to see if you can coordinate it all if you choose to do that. Generally, HDDR and the big meal that comes with it fills an evening.

For at least the last show, buses are available after the show without first riding internal transportation back to the entrance.
  • 00's ASsp (Nov '01), OKW (Aug '03), BWV (Oct '05), Pop (May '06), ASmu (April '08), Cabins/Kidani(June '09) Trip Report
  • 10's WL (April '10), SSR (Jan '12)

Last edited by Goofy4; 04-25-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Goofy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Tink415
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMooskaMickey View Post
Hi, we are going to Hoop de Doo (6.15) showing, and are hoping to combine it with some time at the Wilderness campground and resort. From reading the details I'm not really sure how close together these are, is it walkable or do you need to use public transport? How much time could we feasibly spend here (without doing a TS meal)

Also, has anyone done the pony treks? My daughter (10 yrs) is interested in doing this but is a complete beginner so would it be a safe activity for her to do alone?

Thanks for the advice
Probably you could spend 1-2 hours, or more, depending on what you want to do. There is playground, beach, nature trail, walking paths, etc.

The pony rides are for little kids and a parent leads the pony. There is an age an age and weight limit for the pony rides, can't recall the exact details but I think my daughter started doing the trail ride at 8-9 yrs old. The trail ride is much more expensive than pony ride and takes much longer. My daughter loved it, she was a beginner and did it alone. The CMs are great!
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
MeeskaMooskaMickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink415 View Post
Probably you could spend 1-2 hours, or more, depending on what you want to do. There is playground, beach, nature trail, walking paths, etc.

The pony rides are for little kids and a parent leads the pony. There is an age an age and weight limit for the pony rides, can't recall the exact details but I think my daughter started doing the trail ride at 8-9 yrs old. The trail ride is much more expensive than pony ride and takes much longer. My daughter loved it, she was a beginner and did it alone. The CMs are great!
Thanks! Yes it was the trail ride that my daughter is hoping to do, not the pony rides for younger children. Glad to hear you daughter loved it and that she did it alone too. Did you need to book it in advance please?
MeeskaMooskaMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

You mentioned the Wilderness Lodge resort; that's a short boat ride away from the Fort Wilderness Campground, leaving from the docks near Pioneer Hall. There is a walking path, about a mile long that connects the two resorts. I would only do the walk during daylight hours, though, as the path is not lit.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
You mentioned the Wilderness Lodge resort; that's a short boat ride away from the Fort Wilderness Campground, leaving from the docks near Pioneer Hall. There is a walking path, about a mile long that connects the two resorts. I would only do the walk during daylight hours, though, as the path is not lit.
And Wilderness Lodge is a completely different resort from Fort Wilderness.

Just like Caribbean Beach Resort is completely different from the Beach Club Resort. And Coronado Springs Resort is completely different from Saratoga Springs Resort.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
Tink415
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMooskaMickey View Post
Thanks! Yes it was the trail ride that my daughter is hoping to do, not the pony rides for younger children. Glad to hear you daughter loved it and that she did it alone too. Did you need to book it in advance please?
I don't book in advance only because usually we don't mind waiting and aren't in a rush to get anywhere if we're spending a day at FW. We've found the trail ride is more relaxed than some of the other activities at WDW where you must have a ressie ahead of time, but it could be we've just had good luck We've also gone too late in the afternoon and missed being able to go on the trail ride, so I would definitely call to get current details and probably make a reservation for a time that goes with your Hoop Dee Doo ressie. All Ears has a lot of information in their Fort Wilderness Fact Sheet on the trail ride. Have fun
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: