Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

MSEP and wishes in Dec 2013: MVMCP? Dessert party? Stake out on Main Street?

I'm wondering what the best way to see the Main Street Electrical Parade and Wishes in during our upcoming December 2013 visit.

First I was thinking that we would just do what the bulk of the public does, pick one of the 3 days of the week that is not having the MVMCP and stake out some space on Main Street for a couple of hours by sitting there while my DH gets food and drink. Then one of us would take the kids to a ride or something while one of us waits.

Then I started to think about the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party, but it would seem that the parade cannot be viewed from this location. So, that would mean we would still be in the trenches to see the parade, then leave our spots and head to the Dessert Party for wishes. I'm not against that if the Dessert Party viewing is that spectacular.

The third option is to buy (at no small expense for the 4 of us) tickets to MVMCP and do parade and wishes then. However, that still leaves us in the trenches fighting crowds, and I'm not sure the difference in shows is worth the cost, considering my 6 year olds usually go to bed at 7PM, and will decidedly NOT be staying up past 10.

So DISexperts, what would you do in December to see the parade and wishes?

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyjen27 View Post
I'm wondering what the best way to see the Main Street Electrical Parade and Wishes in during our upcoming December 2013 visit.

First I was thinking that we would just do what the bulk of the public does, pick one of the 3 days of the week that is not having the MVMCP and stake out some space on Main Street for a couple of hours by sitting there while my DH gets food and drink. Then one of us would take the kids to a ride or something while one of us waits.

Then I started to think about the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party, but it would seem that the parade cannot be viewed from this location. So, that would mean we would still be in the trenches to see the parade, then leave our spots and head to the Dessert Party for wishes. I'm not against that if the Dessert Party viewing is that spectacular.

The third option is to buy (at no small expense for the 4 of us) tickets to MVMCP and do parade and wishes then. However, that still leaves us in the trenches fighting crowds, and I'm not sure the difference in shows is worth the cost, considering my 6 year olds usually go to bed at 7PM, and will decidedly NOT be staying up past 10.

You're right about the dessert party view Also about the $$$ for family of 4
MY personal favorite place ? The tables on top of the railroad station (people seem to forget about this area...ooops me & my big mouth ) AND the
added bonus of coming down the stairs( or ramp if there's a stroller or wheelchair) and being that much closer to getting out in the grand exodus of it all

A Story of Hope & The Power of Dis<---small update MON 09/08
Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Well, one thing to realize, you wouldn't see the MSEP during the MVMCP; you'd see the Christmas parade. Also, that's a lot of money to spend just to see the parade and fireworks, when there are other nights you can see them. I love the MVMCP, but for your situation, I would plan on seeing the MSEP and Wishes on a regular night (I think a Wednesday would be your best bet.)
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
MY personal favorite place ? The tables on top of the railroad station (people seem to forget about this area...ooops me & my big mouth )
You must know a lot of different people from the ones I've seen.

The tables atop the RR station on Main Street are usually filled HOURS before the parade starts.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
You must know a lot of different people from the ones I've seen.

The tables atop the RR station on Main Street are usually filled HOURS before the parade starts.
Well yes kind sir BUT they're pretty much looking for a place to stake out eat take turns taking kids to rides etc better than staking out a place on the curb right ?

A Story of Hope & The Power of Dis<---small update MON 09/08
Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
Rhongepooh
I must ponder this news

Quote:

My favorite place to watch the MSEP is from the porch of Tony's / photo shop (?). It's not in the restaurant but on the porch they have rocking chairs and we try to snag one around 7 if the parade is around 9. It's great to get an actual comfortable chair to sit in, your above the nor,al crowd so it's an easy view and the kids can stand by you without blocking anyone's view. It's also right by the exit of the park so you can see the whole parade and zip out the exit before those sitting around the castle have even seen the majority of the parade. Now the fireworks won't work there but we've been spoiled and have stayed at the Contemporary so e have been able to see the parade and zip back to the resort before the fireworks start or saw the fireworks from the monorail.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
Robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhongepooh View Post
My favorite place to watch the MSEP is from the porch of Tony's / photo shop (?). It's not in the restaurant but on the porch they have rocking chairs...
That's now called the Town Square Theater (home of the Mickey Mouse meet & greet and the Princess' meet & greet.)

Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
LetsDoDisney!
Mouseketeer

Quote:
My favorite place to watch the MSEP is from the porch of Tony's / photo shop (?). It's not in the restaurant but on the porch they have rocking chairs and we try to snag one around 7 if the parade is around 9. It's great to get an actual comfortable chair to sit in, your above the nor,al crowd so it's an easy view and the kids can stand by you without blocking anyone's view. It's also right by the exit of the park so you can see the whole parade and zip out the exit before those sitting around the castle have even seen the majority of the parade. Now the fireworks won't work there but we've been spoiled and have stayed at the Contemporary so e have been able to see the parade and zip back to the resort before the fireworks start or saw the fireworks from the monorail.
Wonder if this would be a good spot for us - we plan to watch the MSEP from somewhere and then zip over to the Dessert Party. Need somewhere not too too far from Tomorrowland Terrace.....

LetsDoDisney! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We happen to be staying at the Contemporary! Do you all consider watching them from the CR to be comparable to watching them from MK? Last year at the Poly it was nice to watch from the beach, but didn't seem the same as being there. I understand that CR is much, much closer though.

Okay, so the consensus seems no to MVMCP (which the $266.00 pretty much told us) and maybe to the parade at the new Town Square Theater followed by the dessert party on the Terrace.

And a new option, watch the parade and go to the resort for Fireworks.

Keep those suggestions coming everyone! Thank you!!

Robo, how do you do parade and fireworks?

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

If you do decide to go on a non-MVMCP night and stake out a spot, just know knowing into it that it's going to be hard for 1 person to hold spots for 4. I ran off to get food for our group of 4 (3 holding a spot for 4) and they had a hard time holding my spot. I had my tripod all set up too and someone tried to park their stroller under it.

Honestly, it's all getting so nuts I'm about ready to give up on Main Street viewing completely.

If you do decide to try one of the 3 non-MVMCP nights, choose the one that is not Saturday and not the EMH night. But you'll still need to stake out your spot early.

I've never tried the dessert party, but I'm sort of afraid that I'd be even more upset if I spent all that money to be there and still had people crowd me out. I hear everyone gets up and stands at the rail anyway, so I figure I can fight crowds for free down in the trenches. Maybe someone who has been there recently can share their experience with this.

Good luck with it all!
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
Robo

Quote:
Robo, how do you do parade and fireworks?
Over the years, many different locations.

Good combo idea-
Parade viewing near Hall of Presidents (in Liberty Square.)

After it passes, make the slow trek to the Hub and find a standing spot
(make sure you're not in one of the areas I've shaded RED on the map below)
in time for the Castle projection show,
"Celebrate the Magic," which begins about 15 minutes before the fireworks.

Then, stay put for Wishes.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
KPaul
Mouseketeer

Moving locations between Parade and Wishes

My family is "lucky" and we have VIP passes for the parade one night in November. ("Lucky" because we received them after my mother was significantly injured by a fellow guest just before we were going to watch the parade during our visit in 2011). The VIP viewing spot is apparently on the Liberty Square bridge - a terrible spot for Wishes.

Here's my question - how difficult is it to move between the parade and Wishes? If we wanted to move to Main Street, how difficult would it be to get there? How much time is there in between? Will Main Street be a traffic jam?
KPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
Robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPaul View Post
My family is "lucky" and we have VIP passes for the parade one night in November. ("Lucky" because we received them after my mother was significantly injured by a fellow guest just before we were going to watch the parade during our visit in 2011). The VIP viewing spot is apparently on the Liberty Square bridge - a terrible spot for Wishes.

Here's my question

1- how difficult is it to move between the parade and Wishes?

2- If we wanted to move to Main Street, how difficult would it be to get there?

3- How much time is there in between?

4- Will Main Street be a traffic jam?
1- From the Liberty Square bridge to somewhere else in the Hub is no problem.

2- From the Liberty Square bridge to somewhere on iMain Street will be a bit more difficult,
but doable if you are careful. (I'd not go to Main Street, however.)

3- From the end of the parade (at the Liberty Square bridge) to the start of
the Castle projection show, "Celebrate the Magic," will be about 10-15 minutes.
(The Wishes fireworks, themselves, would be starting 15 min. later than that time.)

4- BIG time!

Old 04-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

We were at the Tomorrowland Terrace dessert party last Wednesday and I was able to see the parade just fine. If you are tall enough to see over the rail you can see the parade. You can't see the wheels touching the ground but from the terrace you can see almost the whole float. It is an amazing place to watch Wishes from. I think it is the best view in the park because you are looking directly at the front of the castle. It was $23 per person for us. I think it was absolutely worth it.

We showed up to check in at the terrace at about 5 minutes until 9 and the parade started at 9. So if you checked in about 8:40 you could actually get all your desserts eaten by 9 and be able to go up to the rail and watch the parade.

But if you want a reservation to the dessert party you have to stalk the online reservations because the reservations for the dessert party do not open 180 days prior to your date they open a month before.

After doing the dessert party and having an unobstructed view with no crowds around me and not having to stake out a spot 2 hours prior I would never watch Wishes any other way now.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #15
KPaul
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the input Robo.

Where would you go for Wishes if you were us?
KPaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: