Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 01:28 AM   #31
LuvtheMouse88
Mouseketeer

Top of my list is that years photo album. That way I have an album to put all our disney photos in when we get home. I always end up with a new shirt. Hope you enjoy your first trip!
August 2011- Anniversary filled with magical moments
December 2010- Christmas trip with the hubby
June 2010- First Disney Trip with the in-laws
August 2007- Honeymoon trip
LuvtheMouse88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:50 AM   #32
AuroraRora
Princess

I always have to get a photo frame with the year on it, and I always stock up on Mickey Mints and try to get a snowglobe (although that was when we only went every few years, now that I live closer and go more, I'm cutting back on the snowglobes!) I bought a lot of Disney jewelry that doesn't really get worn - I have a non-Disney ring and necklace that I wear every day so I'm not sure why I kept buying Disney necklaces and rings knowing those spots were already taken I did lose the other ring I'd wear every day though, so I'm considering buying a nice Disney one if I see it.

Even though I never wear my ears outside of WDW, I love them and I have them sitting on a shelf in my room to brighten my day until my next trip when I can pack them to go back to the parks. The best thing I ever bought was probably my hoodie - I wear that thing at home almost every day and it's so warm and cozy. And it's not all colorful, in-your-face Disney so I can wear it places without it looking like I just got back off the plane
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #33
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

I need to put my gold dragon hanging banner from china in Epcot back up... Very nice design.

I regret buying so many pins. I don't even know where I put them! They're around somewhere.

Oldest Disney trip souvenir was actually purchased at Kissimmee, its some crystals in a rock. I bought it in 98 when I was 7. I'm 21 now! :O

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #34
palmtreelover08
DIS Veteran

Regret- White Dooney purse- spent over $250 on a purse whose light brown handles now look like crap. The light brown straps pick up all the dirt off your hands and I swear are dirt magnetically. On,y get the purse with the light brown hands if you are a princess and never get your hands dirty.
palmtreelover08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #35
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreelover08 View Post
Regret- White Dooney purse- spent over $250 on a purse whose light brown handles now look like crap. The light brown straps pick up all the dirt off your hands and I swear are dirt magnetically. On,y get the purse with the light brown hands if you are a princess and never get your hands dirty.
Oh no! I have several Disney dooneys & I have the one your talking about the trick is I switch out purses every couple days and I've not had any problem with any if my purses Dooney, coach, guess, LV & I clean house, cook, bake, garden.. If you look on their web site they do have cleaning instructions.. Hope that helps!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & POFQ Sept 8-15, 2013
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #36
Fantasmic23
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
I've never regretted a WDW purchase. I still have my stuffed Pluto from the 70's as well as other souvenirs from over the years too numerous to mention.

One thing I would mention is that if you want something less Disneyish that may look nice displayed with your home decor, shop World Showcase at Epcot. There is so much good stuff there that most people wouldn't guess came from Disney. But, you will always know when you look at it, so it will be a nice memory of your vacation.
I STILL have my stuffed Pluto that my uncle brought back from his WDW trip in 1977!!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #37
Fantasmic23
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

I have never regretted a WDW souvenir purchase, either. I'm a BIG coffee drinker and on almost every trip, I buy a new coffee mug (from the "Theme Perks" collection). I now have the whole set (I think) which includes Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald Duck. My only complaint is that Disney doesn't have an orange Theme Perk mug with Pluto on it.

The cups are big and are dishwasher/microwave safe.

Another favorite WDW souvenir purchase is my "Four Parks One World" CD. A bit pricey, but definitely worth it! I listen to it all of the time. The Swiss Family Treshouse theme drives my husband crazy, but I've learned to just fast-forward.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #38
Maleficent Dragon
Member Since 2004; lost previous login details

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
My number one tip is if you see something you want, buy it right then and there. It is entirely possible you won't see it again at another location or later in your trip.

This used to be my biggest suggestion about shopping, but is this really the case anymore? Now that Disney has the same souvenirs everywhere with nothing unique (other than a few carts here and there) it seems that every shoppe has the same things. Rather disappointing actually.

To the point of the OP's question: I have never been disappointed with anything I have purchased aside from clothing. Their shirts are very thin and their screened tees do not keep their screening very long. I even wash them inside out in Woolite and still find that the quality is poor and short-lived.

Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #39
Burgigirl
Earning My Ears

Our favorite has been a towel (although very expensive) from the end of the Kali River Rapids ride. We still laugh at how soaked our young son got. Now we try to get a towel from all of our vacation destinations, because we actually use them at home.

Regrets would have to be, pins. We aren't really collectors of them. But we have purchased a few over the years, that just end up in a drawer.
Burgigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #40
ChiCat
DIS Veteran

I don't want to really wear anything Disney related or have too many Disney related household items however I looooove my giant oversized coffee mugs and Christmas ornaments!

My regret is buying dh the Jack Skellington winter hat he insisted that I should have known he'd never wear.

CBR 9/2011
best trip so far 12/2013
ChiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #41
TiggerBouncy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
My number one tip is if you see something you want, buy it right then and there. It is entirely possible you won't see it again at another location or later in your trip.
My DW saw a towel once in AK that she passed up at the time and figured to get it on the way out (even though we were staying on property and could have it delivered to the hotel).

We never saw it again. She has looked for it every time we have gone back and they don't have it anymore. I fear mentioning it to her again as it's still a sore spot.

I have never regretted a purchase from Disney, but my most treasured to me are my Lenox statues (several places sell them, but most notably in HS). I have a bunch of Tink, and a few other characters including Micky/Minni, Belle, Ariel and Lady. Everytime I go I try to get at least one more for my collection.

If you want something cheaper and smaller, I also love pin trading. but be careful - it's addictive and won't stay cheap if you keep it up. :-)
TiggerBouncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #42
jgh
Peter Pan!

I almost always get a t-shirt of some kind, and I've never regretted those.

Sometimes I'll pick up a stuffed animal...really, it's whatever catches my eye.

I definitely agree that if you see something you want then you need to buy it right then. A friend of mine wanted a charm for her bracelet and decided to wait until the last day...turns out the night before they left they did a merchandise change and she wasn't able to get the charm she wanted.

jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #43
kinakat
Earning My Ears

The only souvenir we purchased was a Christmas tree ornament to commemorate our first trip. We always try to get a new ornament every year that has meaning. I plan on getting my second Disney World ornament in June!
kinakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #44
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
I'm going to add on to this and say take a photo of it if you're hesitant about buying it. You can always ask someone where you might find it or call the merchandising line when you get home and purchase it.

I always like getting antenna toppers for my car. It's something fun that I sometimes forget about so when I see it it makes me smile a bit more.

Oh god there's the yeti! - The Trip Report!.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!- Aug. 2015 DL @ Stanford Inn & Suites -

Last edited by stindall; 04-16-2013 at 12:02 PM.
stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #45
UncannySquirrel
Earning My Ears

I'm glad I'm not the only one that regrets buying the pins. At the park I'd buy them like I needed them to live, got multiple lanyards and the book to display them and the second I get home they get put in a draw & forgotten about until next trip when my addiction relapse.
Although out of all of them only a few I don't regret & most of those were ones I had to hunt off of CM. Scooge McDuck, Mighty Ducks, Baby Simba, & a Lock, Shock & Barrel. Also Huey, Dewy & Louie the year when one of them was sold out everywhere and cause a trip wide search to find.

My favorite souvenir of all time has to be a poster of all the movie villains(at the time in 2005) including those from less popular movies you never find merch of.

Most of my favorite Disney characters are obscure aside from Lion King, Stich & Nightmare before Christmas, so anything I can find that's Disney Afternoon shows (especially Ducktales), Oliver & Company, Black Cauldron or Robin Hood become High Priority souvenirs for me.
UncannySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: