Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
jump00
Earning My Ears

Magical Express - Is it worth it??????

Hello everyone!!

We are thinking of using the Magical Express bus to get from the airport to our resort (either AKL or Beach club). How long does it typically take to these resorts? (August) We usually use Tiffany Town cars and love their service. So my question is does it take more than 45 minutes to get to either of these resorts? Is it worth it?

Thanks,
Jump00
jump00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Julie711
DIS Veteran

We always use ME, and love it! Wouldn't go any other way. We have stayed at AKL last Feb & other resorts and have had no longer then a 30-35 min ride. It's a nice relaxing ride, they play a movie about the parks & checking into your hotel, just gets us excited ( even though we've seen it a handful of times)!

Me DH DD(6yrs)DS(2 yrs)

9/06- CBR- Honeymoon/ 4/10- CBR- 1st Family Trip/ 8/10- CBR- Family & Grandmom Visit/ 5/11- CBR/ 2/12-AKL- Kid Free Trip For My B Day!/ 11/12- BWV- 1st Christmas Visit 4/13-DL-DH Birthday Trip Kid Free/ 9/13-WLV

Julie711 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Worth it?? Worth what? The zero dollars you're paying for it??? Just kidding.
I love using a car service, but in all reality? You pay over $100 and you save, maybe, 30 mins total. It normally takes me about an hour, gate to resort, using a car service with checked bags. When using DME, it has taken me up to 85 mins, but most times it's around 70 mins, gate to resort.
The actual ride, from MCO to WDW resorts is about 30 mins. Which stop you are will determine if you spend another 10 mins or so on the bus...could be up to 15. Only you can determine what those extra minutes are worth to you...monetarily.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump00 View Post
Hello everyone!!

We are thinking of using the Magical Express bus to get from the airport to our resort (either AKL or Beach club). How long does it typically take to these resorts? (August) We usually use Tiffany Town cars and love their service. So my question is does it take more than 45 minutes to get to either of these resorts? Is it worth it?

Thanks,
Jump00
Reminder it is free, so not sure if 'worth it" is relevant.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump00 View Post
Hello everyone!!

Thanks,
Jump00
Yes, it will likely take more than 45 minutes. The way ME works is that you go to the check in area where you're sorted into lines by resort. When a bus arrives, people going to around 3 resorts are loaded on it. Each bus "waits" for around 30 minutes to fill up before it leaves. This is fine if you're one of the last people to board, but if you're one of the first, you will sit for a while.

Then you head to Disney, which about a 25 minute ride.

If you are the last to board the bus, and the first resort to be dropped off, the trip could take as little as 30 minutes. If you're the first to board a bus, and the last to be dropped off, it can take close to 90 minutes.

If speed is important to you, then ME is probably not the best choice.

We love it, because it's so easy, and it's free. We just hop on the bus, and get dropped off without having to worry about pointing our bags out to anyone. And they play a movie as you go, which gets us hyped up.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
meggimouse
Disney's First Tattooed Princess

i've never thought about not using the magical express.
we've never had to wait more than 10 minutes for it to arrive at the airport and don't even notice the time between MCO and our resort.
the movie passes the time even if i've seen it a million times but it still gets us excited to get into disney!

meggimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Here's a breakdown of time it takes me to get to various points...

gate to DME checkin area ...15 mins
in line for the bus....0-20 mins
on bus, waiting to leave....0-20 mins
ride to resort....25-40 mins, depending on which stop we are

You might only wait in the bus line for 5 mins, but then once on the bus, wait for 20 mins...so it probably balances out in the long run. I have never, ever had the longest possible waits at all points.

using a car service...
gate to baggage claim (if there are checked bags)...10-15 mins
wait for bags to appear....10-20 mins
out to car....5 mins
ride to resort....25-30 mins, depending on location

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

I *love* DME and don't see any reason not to use it... why?

Well,

1. It's free.
2. I don't have to worry about my luggage.. coming or going to the airport.
3. It's comfortable.
4. IT'S FREE.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
herb102211
DIS Veteran

We love DME and always use them when going to Disney. Sure, you could probably get there a little quicker by taking a cab as it would be a direct trip to your resort, but why spend the extra money if you don't have to. We are usually to our resort within an hour or so. It depends on how many stops are ahead of you and how many people are unloading from your bus.

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL, 7/14- Yacht Club-CL, 10/14- Yacht Club
Me (28) DH (29)
herb102211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

To know the ME is to love the ME :-) I can't imagine doing anything else now. It's a great perk for staying at WDW I will use to the last bus standing!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
networktek
it all started with a mouse

we love using magical express it just gets you in the Disney feeling especially when you have been siting in a plan.

networktek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If you are in a hurry to get to your resort and you would get overly frustrated with having to stop at up to three resorts before yours, then you will probably be much happier with privately arranged transportation. I have no problems with DME and it is not worth it to me to expend an extra $50-100 to get there a few minutes earlier, but I understand it could possibly be most frustrating if I was in a hurry.

Most likely it will take more than 45 minutes.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #13
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

I both love and dread ME. I love it on the way to Disney where the whole bus seems to heave a sigh of collective relief -we are on our way to the magic!!!

I only dread it when I have to leave, which is a quieter ride with the sadness of leaving the magic behind.

Personally, I can't think of any reason to arrive any other way. My DD loves the movie and I love to just relax and let the pixies deal with my luggage.

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Most likely it will take more than 45 minutes.
I like to plan on 90 minutes from plane door to resort front desk
Old 04-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
daizieduck
DIS Veteran

I love the convenience of not having to pick up our checked bags at baggage claim when we arrive at MCO. The bags are almost always delivered to our room well within the 3 hour window they say to allow. Only once I think, was it longer than 3 hours. And on the way home it's nice to have the option of checking our bags at the ME resort desk if we want to, and not have to worry about them again until we land at our home airport. The ME buses are nice. Clean and comfortable. Never have had a problem. Although my friend went about four years ago and the bus broke down not far from the resort. They had to wait for another bus to come and pick them up and take them the rest of the way. Once she got to the resort they comped her a microwave for her room (she stayed at All Star Movies I believe) for the inconvenience. I estimate 60-90 min from getting off the plane at MCO to arriving at the resort.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: