Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where to Stay on Our First Trip????
Riverside New Orleans 13 34.21%
New Orleans French Quarter 4 10.53%
Caribbean Beach 8 21.05%
Coronado Springs 12 31.58%
Other...please tell me 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
new
Earning My Ears

Best Resort For our Needs???? Or are they all the same?

I have never been to Disney, but we are planning our first family trip this summer. We have twin boys (8yrs) and have no idea where to stay. I think we have ruled out deluxe resorts, but we are very interested in trying one of the moderates. I have 2 very active boys who love the water. We are coming from a climate of snow 9 months of the year and generally very cool during the summer, and none of the children or myself have ever experienced the heat and humidity of central Florida. August (mid to end) is the only possible time we can travel, or possibly the first week of July. Is the heat and humidity the same during these months, I assume it is similar. I have looked at the photos of all moderate resorts and simply love them all. I am looking for input from experienced Disney people on where we should spend a once in a lifetime vacation. Please take into consideration the 2 young boys, and the grounds, pool area, rooms, playground etc...I will take any and all advice into consideration.
Thanks...Janice...New to the forum and new to Disney World!!!!
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

welcome to the Dis!

do you like the South then POR
do you like the West then CSR
if you like beaches then CBR

here are pictures that might help

por
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/g906-di...de-resort.html

csr
http://www.wdwinfo.com/photos/corona...ings/index.htm

cbr
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/g929-di...ch-resort.html

good luck!
my choice would be POR - you can share the pool at POFQ - which if they aren't good swimmers is very nice.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Going by the age of your boys, I'm going to suggest Coronado Springs Resort (CSR). The pool there is the best out of all of the moderate resorts for kids of that age.

The rooms have a more upgraded feel than those of the other moderates, in my opinion. Plus you have a door the separates the sink area from the sleeping area, which is nice when you are trying to get ready in the morning. the other resorts just have curtains.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
partypa
Mouseketeer

I would also vote for Coronado Springs ( asked the boys, 8 and 9 year olds, that's the one they picked although Port Orleans Riverside was a very close second )
If you can go mid to end of August, the Free Dining might be available ( many of us are hoping and holding out for that ) with the savings, you might be able to kick it up a notch and stay Deluxe. If that is the case, the Wilderness Lodge would be #1 on the List, the boys and you, would love it. They have Bunkbed rooms, kids really enjoy that
partypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
jenrose66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
I have never been to Disney, but we are planning our first family trip this summer. We have twin boys (8yrs) and have no idea where to stay. I think we have ruled out deluxe resorts, but we are very interested in trying one of the moderates. I have 2 very active boys who love the water. We are coming from a climate of snow 9 months of the year and generally very cool during the summer, and none of the children or myself have ever experienced the heat and humidity of central Florida. August (mid to end) is the only possible time we can travel, or possibly the first week of July. Is the heat and humidity the same during these months, I assume it is similar. I have looked at the photos of all moderate resorts and simply love them all. I am looking for input from experienced Disney people on where we should spend a once in a lifetime vacation. Please take into consideration the 2 young boys, and the grounds, pool area, rooms, playground etc...I will take any and all advice into consideration.
I have stayed at POFQ and really liked it, but now that I have a family I really liked Art of Animation. The zero entry pool is awesome. The theme is great. Staying in a suite will give you plenty of room to spread out after being at the parks. I didn't think I'd care that much about having a suite versus a regular room, but now that I've stayed in a suite and had the extra bedroom I don't think I'd go back.

There isn't really a playground at AoA, but you can walk over the bridge to POP. You can enjoy their food court and use the playground there.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
pieface
Mouseketeer

Port Orleans French quarter is my favorite moderate resort it is a smaller resort and the cast members are all ways great. Port Orleans riverside is also nice. I have been to Disney 50 times and have always French quarter.
pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We've only stayed at one moderate, which was CBR, and we loved it. Our boys were 7 & 9 at the time and they loved the pool, which has been redone in a cool pirate theme since our stay. We loved everything about the resort from the beautiful caribbean atmosphere, to the food court, to the bus transportation. We liked how CBR is centrally located that it didn't take long getting to any theme park, water park, or DTD. Good luck deciding, but I think your boys would love the pirate pool .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
new
Earning My Ears

Thanks Everyone...lots of advice.

My thoughts so far... I think the POFQ is too tiny, I'm not sure if the pool would be suitable for my boys. They love to swim...is it a very big pool? Are the rooms newly done?

CBR...Love the look of this one, leaning towards this one mostly b/c of the pool.

CSR...Is this one gigantic? I cant even figure out the map, not liking how large it seems.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

if they are good swimmers would go with CSR

size wise - CBR was larger - expect to do alot of walking here

the pool at CSR is superior to any other moderate and even some deluxes.

disney resort map are NOT to scale. they are just to make the place look lovely.

CSR has conventions - so it has some of the same stuff that a deluxe has - spa, beauty salon, gym

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:55 AM   #10
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

How about a pirate room at CBR, mateys? Arrr.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #11
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Thanks Everyone...lots of advice.

My thoughts so far... I think the POFQ is too tiny, I'm not sure if the pool would be suitable for my boys. They love to swim...is it a very big pool? Are the rooms newly done?

CBR...Love the look of this one, leaning towards this one mostly b/c of the pool.

CSR...Is this one gigantic? I cant even figure out the map, not liking how large it seems.
The pool at POFQ is more for very little kids. I think your boys would be bored with it in no time.

CBR is actually a bit bigger than CSR. And has 7 bus stops compared to the 4 at CSR. To me it made a big difference coming and going to the parks. I much prefer the 4 stops at CSR.

Keep in mind too CBR is the only moderate that hasn't been redone. So it still has double sized beds instead of the queens you will find at the other moderates.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #12
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

I think CBR or CSR would be best they both have fun main pools but also quieter pools. They could go to the main pool if they wanted to play with other kids or go to a quieter pool if you wanted

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
new
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone...I really love the pool and look of CSR, HOWEVER, the size looks daunting. If you were in the "Ranchos" about how long a walk is it to the main eating building? Just approx? If the map is off, maybe it's not as long a walk. I have read about requesting buildings, but obviously not everyone is able to get the close buildings. I would like to hear walking times for worst case scenarios. THANKS
Old 04-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't go to CBR . Its definitely larger than CSR but has far inferior pool than CSR pool or poor for that matter. CSR pool has the best themed pool with one of the best slides out of all the resorts, including deluxes. Also as a pop stated only some of the room s have been redone at cbr. and they're still full size beds. The other mods have since been redone and have nice comfy queens.

It you were to get stuck in ranchos its deal close to the main pool but about an 8 minute walk or so to main bldg. I should try at that point to see if casitas 3 or 4 was available or cabanas 8a or b. The resort is beautiful. If it weren't for me being a DVC member I'd be staying here over n over. Good luck in whichever u choose and also WELCOME to the disboards...

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

I voted CBR - the main pool is really fun! And check out the pirate rooms! DS LOVED it! He and DH played pirates everyday!

lots of miles each way to the mouse!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
DisneyCrazyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: