Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #31
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

cont.

Off to the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail

interesting "zebra" behind!

What is this? Really, I have no idea!

Hi fishies!

Cool birds nests!

More wild creatures!

A rare picture of me and DH!

Looks like it's time to head back and go on a safari!! Safari pictures coming up!!

cont.

Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #32
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

It looks like a really good start to your day. We have never eaten at the Mara. Maybe we will get the chance in May when we are at Jambo....

The gorilla in the photo, is that the baby? It doesn't look full grown, but not really little anymore.

wigdoutdismom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #33
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

On Safari - why do I always get their back ends?

Seems like I got a lot of pictures of the wrong end of the animals on this safari ride! I really am glad they took out the poacher storyline and just go slow so we can see the animals. We saw lots of them. and their back ends...

It looks like those birds are dining on rhino. Eww.

I had a thing for waterfalls on this trip!

Can you see it???

A little closer!

Is this where they have lunch on the Wild Africa Trek?
That would be nice!

Someone's blocking traffic ahead!

another waterfall

And that was our safari ride. Not the best pictures I've ever gotten on that ride, but always fun to look for the animals and hear people say - "look at that" and help each other spot them!

Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #34
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Ok that is a seriously cute picture of you and Dave! I could have handled the sticky spot and popcorn but the wet sheet would have freaked me out.

Nothing is better than that morning savannah view and how near to learn so much. I did not know that about giraffe tongues, fascinating!

I am with Anita, teen gorilla!

We really loved The Mara

Great start!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #35
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
It looks like a really good start to your day. We have never eaten at the Mara. Maybe we will get the chance in May when we are at Jambo....

The gorilla in the photo, is that the baby? It doesn't look full grown, but not really little anymore.
You should check out The Mara - I have enjoyed pretty much everything there. Lots of different options for CS.
That might be Lily the gorilla "baby" but I can't remember. I know the CM there was telling us who we were seeing, but I didn't retain all that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Ok that is a seriously cute picture of you and Dave! I could have handled the sticky spot and popcorn but the wet sheet would have freaked me out.

Nothing is better than that morning savannah view and how near to learn so much. I did not know that about giraffe tongues, fascinating!

I am with Anita, teen gorilla!

We really loved The Mara

Great start!!!
Thanks Cynthia! I'm not sure if Dave was laughing or talking to Sarah.

I think the sheet issue was that something spilled or dripped on it. Nothing gross as far as I could tell. I think we just took it off.
We enjoyed seeing the CM at work in the mornings and it was nice that he would talk to people out on their balconies. That's one thing I love about the AKV - savanna view really makes a difference in the experience we had there. I enjoyed just sitting out there - especially when I was up early. Did have to shield our eyes from that bright morning sun, but that's not a complaint! I would give anything to see that sun around here these days!!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #36
Monny2AE
DIS Veteran

Wow! I learned a bit about giraffes today- thanks Sheree! The view from your room was fantastic!

Loved the girls Animal Kingdom themed outfits.

Monny2AE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #37
Majordis
Mouseketeer

Love this update! AKL is our favorite resort. You had a great view!
Majordis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #38
disneyfan61
DIS Veteran

I love the view you had. Nice that the cm was talking to you.

We love AK & seeing the animals & the walking trails. Yeah I wonder if that was Lilly?? I love watching the tigers & could just stand there & watch them all day.

Nice to see a pic of you & DH. I know I am usually the one taking the pictures so not too many of me unless we get PP. It is nice to get us all together.
disneyfan61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #39
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post

The Plan Luckily the girls are able to get some decent sleep in the car. Me, eh, not so great, but I didn’t mind. We were going to DISNEY!!
Sleep, schmeep! Who needs sleep? We're going to Disney World!

Quote:
We stopped in Tennessee for breakfast (HI Memom!) and then I drove through lots of fog in the mountains.
You need to make that path come through Nashville with time for a hippo meet!

Quote:
DH drove a while until we got to the Florida Welcome Center! Yay! Fresh orange juice!
It's been a while since we have driven, but we are doing so this summer. The Florida Welcome Center is always an exciting stop - if we get to it when it is open. Sometimes we are so early driving through there that it is not even open yet. We make a potty and picture stop, but there is no juice for us, and we can't stock up on a few dozen pamphlets to read the rest of the way.

Quote:
We arrived at AKV around 5 p.m. Two of DH’s 4 sisters had just taken a cruise that had come in at Port Canaveral. So they drove on over to see us for a little bit. One of them lives in Florida and one in Virginia, so we don’t see them much. It’s fun to meet at WDW though! They weren’t staying, so we checked in and visited with them while we got some dinner at The Mara and then the kids swam in the pool.
I love this. Just sitting out by the pool catching up with family you don't get to see - very special.

Quote:
This was the first time Sarah was allowed to have charging privilege on her KTTW card and she was very anxious to use it. So she wanted to have something to keep it safe and dry in. We went over to the Zawadi Marketplace and she bought a waterproof case for it – ALL BY HERSELF!
Your girls are growing up - and what wonderful young ladies they are going to be! I bet she felt so grown-up doing that.

Quote:
We headed out to the pool so the girls could swim. Love the zero depth entry!
Those pools are great. Art of Animation has that in the Nemo pool, too, so hopefully they will be doing more pools that way as they create new resorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
The next day was Sunday, October 14. The plan for the day was to spend some quality time at Animal Kingdom. We’d neglected it in past trips – some trips we just didn’t have a lot of days or we’d only spent a half-day there. We were even contemplating tackling Everest this time! None of us had ever ridden it before.
Neglected Animal Kingdom??? Bad, bad, bad!
You know we love that park!

Quote:
What else you got in there, fella?

Quote:
We saw so many animals! The CM was out setting out some food and he was so close and just started chatting with those of us out on our balconies. It was really cool!
Brooklynn and I would have been loving that!

Quote:
Sarah decided that giraffes should be called “gylas” and zebras should be “zeebies”. Okaaaay…
Gotta love tweens and teens and all of their silliness. I love that you shared this. Jill went through a stage when she called police officers 'po po', and there was some contest that went with that where you said po po and touched the ceiling of your car for a point. Kids are fun, aren't they?

Quote:
This trip we decided NOT to do the DDP. We like sharing meals and often will get three meals for the four of us. I like to order appetizers too.
The dining plan is too much food for us. We don't drink much soda, and we definitely don't get desserts at every meal, so unless it's a 'free dining' time, it's not a good deal for us.

Quote:
And that was our safari ride. Not the best pictures I've ever gotten on that ride, but always fun to look for the animals and hear people say - "look at that" and help each other spot them!
Definitely cute to be on a jeep with first-timers and hear them ooh and aah and hear the kids' squeals over seeing the animals.

Well, I feel like we've just had a conversation, Sheree! Nice chatting with you. I look forward to more Animal Kingdom fun next time.

As for the gorilla, the last time we saw Lilly, she was nowhere near that size, so unless she has grown leaps and bounds, that is not her. Sadly, I didn't get to see her in March. She will soon be big like the others, and we won't be able to tell her apart from anyone else. They need to put different colored bandanas on them so we can know who is who.

P.S. My reading group just finished reading a book called Gorillas and Chimpanzees. Yes, it was my choice, and yes, I quite enjoyed reading it with them and showing them Animal Kingdom pictures to supplement the learning. Gotta use any way you can to sneak a little Disney into a work day, right?
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
MeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #41
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

How neat the the animal caretaker was close enough to your room that you could talk with him. I love that kind of stuff.

You guys saw a lot of animals on the safari! I'd much rather see the back end of animals than no animals at all.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #42
MEK
DIS Veteran

Beautiful view from your room! Love all the animals.

And talking about animals - you got great shots on the Pangani trail and on Safari. I just love AKL and AK park. What a great way to start your trip.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #43
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monny2AE View Post
Wow! I learned a bit about giraffes today- thanks Sheree! The view from your room was fantastic!

Loved the girls Animal Kingdom themed outfits.
Yeah, we loved that room!
The girls did a lot of their own packing and choosing this trip. They definitely chose well that day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordis View Post
Love this update! AKL is our favorite resort. You had a great view!
Thanks! We love it too, but I'm ready to try a different resort. AKL is one of our "home" DVC resorts, so I'm sure we'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan61 View Post
I love the view you had. Nice that the cm was talking to you.

We love AK & seeing the animals & the walking trails. Yeah I wonder if that was Lilly?? I love watching the tigers & could just stand there & watch them all day.

Nice to see a pic of you & DH. I know I am usually the one taking the pictures so not too many of me unless we get PP. It is nice to get us all together.
Yeah that view and the CM every morning was so cool!
I've enjoyed AK more this trip than I have in the past. Just noticing more details and enjoying the animals is so fun! I did make a conscious effort to get in more pictures and have some of the two of us as well. Sarah took a lot of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Sleep, schmeep! Who needs sleep? We're going to Disney World!
LOL!! That's what I think!

You need to make that path come through Nashville with time for a hippo meet!

We actually do go through Nashville many trips, but don't often stop. Dave read your comment and said he would like to stop for a day there, so we'll have to set something up! He and I stayed there a couple days pre-kids on our way back from WDW and loved it!

It's been a while since we have driven, but we are doing so this summer. The Florida Welcome Center is always an exciting stop - if we get to it when it is open. Sometimes we are so early driving through there that it is not even open yet. We make a potty and picture stop, but there is no juice for us, and we can't stock up on a few dozen pamphlets to read the rest of the way.

Good luck with your driving! The welcome center is such a monumental landmark for us! Even though I know we still have a little ways to go, it's always a fabulous feeling to say "we're in Florida!"

I love this. Just sitting out by the pool catching up with family you don't get to see - very special.

Indeed! It's always nice to see them! Hanging at the pool turned out to be a popular activity for us!

Your girls are growing up - and what wonderful young ladies they are going to be! I bet she felt so grown-up doing that.

Oh my gosh, they are! It's going a little fast for me lately. Although part of me wishes one could drive so I could stop being a taxi driver! 4 more years to go!

Those pools are great. Art of Animation has that in the Nemo pool, too, so hopefully they will be doing more pools that way as they create new resorts.

I love zero entry! it's great for the little ones to splash around in and still be in the big pool. Plus I think it looks cooler!

Neglected Animal Kingdom??? Bad, bad, bad!
You know we love that park!

Oh, I know! Sarah loves animals too!

What else you got in there, fella?

Great caption!

Brooklynn and I would have been loving that

Gotta love tweens and teens and all of their silliness. I love that you shared this. Jill went through a stage when she called police officers 'po po', and there was some contest that went with that where you said po po and touched the ceiling of your car for a point. Kids are fun, aren't they?

Always a source of entertainment!!

The dining plan is too much food for us. We don't drink much soda, and we definitely don't get desserts at every meal, so unless it's a 'free dining' time, it's not a good deal for us.
I definitely preferred not to be on the plan this time. The girls are both Disney "adults" now and they just don't eat like that. They'd love dessert with every meal, but really, the CS desserts aren't usually that great and they don't need it. They get plenty of treats.I meant to do the math, but didn't. I'm pretty sure we came out ahead or very close without the DDP.

Definitely cute to be on a jeep with first-timers and hear them ooh and aah and hear the kids' squeals over seeing the animals.
Very fun for sure!

Well, I feel like we've just had a conversation, Sheree! Nice chatting with you. I look forward to more Animal Kingdom fun next time.
That was fun! I've got a little more AK to share - maybe even tonight if my kids get to sleep!

As for the gorilla, the last time we saw Lilly, she was nowhere near that size, so unless she has grown leaps and bounds, that is not her. Sadly, I didn't get to see her in March. She will soon be big like the others, and we won't be able to tell her apart from anyone else. They need to put different colored bandanas on them so we can know who is who.
I knew you would know more about Lilly - I agree, they need some sort of labeling system! I remember the guide was able to identify them, I just don't remember what he said and which one I was photographing!

P.S. My reading group just finished reading a book called Gorillas and Chimpanzees. Yes, it was my choice, and yes, I quite enjoyed reading it with them and showing them Animal Kingdom pictures to supplement the learning. Gotta use any way you can to sneak a little Disney into a work day, right?
RIGHT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
All caught up. I am famous for getting the rear ends of animals too!
HA! Well, now that you're all caught up, I'll keep going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
How neat the the animal caretaker was close enough to your room that you could talk with him. I love that kind of stuff.

You guys saw a lot of animals on the safari! I'd much rather see the back end of animals than no animals at all.
I think it's one of the things that sets AKL apart. The CMs have so much to share, and are very willing to do so!
I guess you're right - back end is better than nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Beautiful view from your room! Love all the animals.

And talking about animals - you got great shots on the Pangani trail and on Safari. I just love AKL and AK park. What a great way to start your trip.
It was a great room!
Next time I may hand the camera off and just look at the animals. But it really is fun to try and get that great shot!

More AK coming up!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #44
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

After our safari ride, the girls got henna tattoos on their feet – I think it was for “dance”. I seem to remember Sarah going in to the shop and paying for hers with her KTTW. She loved doing that!

This is Paige's.

Each got it on a different foot -so they made a pair!

I made my way over to the Dawa bar while waiting and got myself a Lost on Safari. Something on my list that I wanted to do this trip. Did I mention I had a whole list of things to do and try? Yup, lots of them were food/drink related! It was quite good and we got a snack, popcorn I think, then too.

We wandered through Asia – no, the girls were not willing to try EE! I looked in the shop and tried to persuade them, but they took one look at how high it went and heard the screaming and said NO WAY! Maybe next time!

We hit Dinoland and decided to try Dinosaur – another thing we’d never done! I’d thought it would be scary for the girls when they were younger, and maybe too “rough” for me. I don’t do motion rides real well. So we got FPs and while we waited we saw the Dino-Dumbo (aka Triceratops Spin) only had a 5 minute wait. So we rode that and then did a little browsing in the gift shop.

I love this shirt!

Sarah found a certain book very amusing.

We rode Dinosaur and thought it was a blast! Pretty rough, but super fun! I couldn’t believe we’d never tried it before! We will definitely do it again! I can certainly see how little ones could be scared.

Paige looks a little frightened, but we all thought it was fun!

cont. in next post.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #45
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

We decided that was enough AK for today, and shopped a bit on the way out.

Purchase with purchase deals: Yes, I brought this throw home!

I really like the themed items here and at the shop in AKL too. About 3 p.m. we headed back and hit the pool for about an hour.

We had dinner plans that night! Somewhere we’d never had dinner at before!

Any guesses?

Here's a hint: We drove to the location.

And headed in this direction...

Can you tell where we are? (Despite the bad lighting?)

How about now?

Yes, we were having dinner at Ohana! We ended up arriving a few minute late for our ADR, and waited no more than 10-15 minutes and got buzzed. Wow, the amount of food here is insane! I loved pretty much everything! Sarah only ate bread and a couple pieces of steak. Our fabulous server, Cousin Joe, noticed, and brought her some alternatives - Mac & Cheese, and fries!

I could have made a meal out of the appetizers, dumplings, noodles and salad. The wings were good, but not as good as I expected. The dessert - O.M.G. that bread pudding made me a fan of bread pudding!!

Sufficiently stuffed, we wandered around the Poly like we belonged there. Shopped, took pictures, checked out the pool

I love this!

I think someone told them he was going to sneeze on them!

The lovely ladies...

And their parents...

PHOTOBOMBED!

and then we were off to our next destination...
We went resort hopping!
First - on the monorail - The Grand Floridian

Then it was off to the Contemporary. More specifically, to Bay Lake Tower. At that time, they were allowing DVC members staying on points at any DVC resort access to the Top of the World Lounge, so we went to check it out. I was still pretty full, so only got a soda and enjoyed the view.

Look at that, yet another picture of the two of us!

It was only around 8:30 and if you'll remember we did drive to the Poly, so we went back over to the Poly and joined about a thousand others on the beach to watch the fireworks! It was a MNSSHP night, so they were doing Hallowishes! This was a first for us, and although we didn't have comfy seats, it was so fun to see the big picture! Of course, I didn't take any pictures! My fireworks shots don't always turn out, and I just wanted to watch.
It was great that they piped in the music. We had a blast!

Our first full day was a big success!
Strange for this trip, we weren't going to set foot in Magic Kingdom until late Tuesday! Seemed like a long time to wait, but we would manage.

Tomorrow - EPCOT! We get our first taste of Food and Wine! YAY!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: