Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Wow! A 24 hour drive? And I thought that our 16 hour drive was a lot.

I had to laugh when you said that the family members had sailed on Carnival and were lucky to have made it back. I thought that same exact thing.

Hopefully, the room conditions didn't cause too much trouble. It's not cool to start off a vacation with room issues.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Great first update! I can't believe you guys drive straight thru 24 hours!!

How nice that it worked out that Dave's sisters could come visit with you guys. I hope the room issues weren't too bad and they were taken care of right away.
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Oh my...I am looking forward to reading...welcome home!!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #20
Monny2AE
DIS Veteran

I'm dreading our 16 hour drive. TWENTY FOUR!!!!!

It's disappointing that your room wasn't cleaned well.

Monny2AE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #21
disneyfan61
DIS Veteran

Great update!

Anxious to see "the view". Wow that is too bad about the dirty room!!

Very nice that you got to visit with family!!

LONG drive. I believe it takes about that long for us here in NH to FL if you drive straight through. I wouldn't know as we have always flown & get there in about 3 hours. But I have friends that have never flown & never will & have driven to Florida many many times over the years.

Anxious to read more...
disneyfan61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #22
Lauren0505
Mouseketeer

Hi,
Joining in. Fellow Minnesotian here. We were there the same week and also at AKV! We did one night at Jambo and the rest of the week at Kidani.
Can't wait to read more!
Lauren0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #23
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
In for your TR.
FIRST! Winner winner, chicken dinner!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordis View Post
Hi! I enjoyed your previous trip reports - thought I would come out and say hello! Can't wait to hear about Hilton Head
Well HI! I'm so glad you came out of lurkdom!! Thanks for joining in! Little preview - Hilton Head is AH-MAZING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
Joining in for the fun!!!
Welcome my friend, it wouldn't be fun without you here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan61 View Post
Anxious to hear all about it.
Glad you're here and brought snacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncw89 View Post
I'm here! I'll try to keep up!!!
It shouldn't be too hard to keep up. I'm notoriously slow even though I try to keep it moving! Life just gets in the way sometimes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Yeah! You started! I am so in here!
Glad to have yo here!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Count me in!!
You have been counted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
I think because Disney World is clean, safe, and family-friendly, it just rises to the top of the list for us automatically. Then, factor in the variety of rides, shows, and activities for all interests and ages, and that solidifies it for a great choice. When you top it off with a longtime love for Disney things, it pretty much seals the deal.

We are doing our first non-Disney World/still Disney trip this year. We will be at Vero for four days. Then we're going to Disney World to stay at Kidani, but we're not doing any parks. My AP will still be good, but Jill's and the girls' will be expired. We're going to go to Sea World for one day, so it will be interesting to see how much comparing we do to Disney parks while we are there.
I am definitely in for seeing lots of pictures and hearing good stories!
Disney does rise to the top for family vacations! We managed to find something that was not WDW, yet still Disney in the HHI DVC resort! What a great combo!
Vero is on our list too - in fact we own DVC points there (our first contract) and have never stayed there. We did visit once pre-DVC ownership.
I do have lots of pictures and some fun stories. You might recognize some of the people too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I'm here! Now off to read.
Well, you better be here, you might show up a time or two you know! You'll have to chime in and help me remember things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Well I'm in the car on my way home from HHI so im certainly looking forward to hearing about both trips. I lived HHI every bit as much this time as last time and I'm seriously considering a return in October 2014. Can't wait to hear about your adventures.
Hi Mary Ellen!
I hope you'll chime in with your comments on the trip since you were there at WDW at the same time and have been to HHI too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
joining in.
Glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Here - Can't wait to hear your take on Oct.

I am relatively close to HHI but have yet to stay there. I need a time where I have points not already dedicated to Disney World or land. Or more points.
Hi Pat!
One of these days you'll get there! I know you'd love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
I'm here!! So excited to hear what you thought of Disney's HHI resort!
Yippee! Shelly is here! I think you are one of my very first DIS friends from way back in 2008 when I joined!
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #24
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Joining in. Will read and catch up when I get home.
Jen! Glad you made it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Wow! A 24 hour drive? And I thought that our 16 hour drive was a lot.

I had to laugh when you said that the family members had sailed on Carnival and were lucky to have made it back. I thought that same exact thing.

Hopefully, the room conditions didn't cause too much trouble. It's not cool to start off a vacation with room issues.
Hi Lisa! Yeah, we've made that drive a few (or more) times now. Still don't love it, but if it gets me there more often instead of saving $ to fly, I'll suffer. We also have driven to Virginia (around 21 hours) and the east coast (Albany NY/Phila.) No biggie. We have another big road trip planned for this summer. We have to get to Vancouver for our Alaskan cruise! Yeah, that's going to be fun!

The room wasn't that bad. I rarely notice much in the rooms (maybe I've just been lucky) and mostly don't bother complaining about anything. Maybe I'll need to ask for extra towels or something. This wasn't "bad" just a little less than up to Disney standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Great first update! I can't believe you guys drive straight thru 24 hours!!

How nice that it worked out that Dave's sisters could come visit with you guys. I hope the room issues weren't too bad and they were taken care of right away.
Yeah, luckily my DH can handle that much driving - he prefers driving to flying, so he gets to do the bulk of it.

The room wasn't too bad (not like your BC experience) so it was not a big deal. I think we just put a napkin down on the carpet on the sticky spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Oh my...I am looking forward to reading...welcome home!!
Glad you made it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monny2AE View Post
I'm dreading our 16 hour drive. TWENTY FOUR!!!!!

It's disappointing that your room wasn't cleaned well.
Yeah, I'd be thrilled with a 16 hour drive! HA! It's hardest on DH, he just doesn't get to sleep much at all. The girls are really pretty good road trippers. Thank whoever invented portable DVD players for the car and ipods, DS games etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan61 View Post
Great update!

Anxious to see "the view". Wow that is too bad about the dirty room!!

Very nice that you got to visit with family!!

LONG drive. I believe it takes about that long for us here in NH to FL if you drive straight through. I wouldn't know as we have always flown & get there in about 3 hours. But I have friends that have never flown & never will & have driven to Florida many many times over the years.

Anxious to read more...
HI!
Thanks! The view - ah, the view! Coming up!
The room, well I guess it's good that I'm not so fussy, but it really wasn't terrible. Not like some stories I've heard before.
It's always nice to see DH's sisters. They are super nice and they're all shorter than me, so I feel tall (I'm not).
NH to FL would be a long haul too. You'd at least be in the same time zone! We lose an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0505 View Post
Hi,
Joining in. Fellow Minnesotian here. We were there the same week and also at AKV! We did one night at Jambo and the rest of the week at Kidani.
Can't wait to read more!
Yay a Minnesotan!! Someone who can appreciate my whining about the weather here! HA! What part of the state are you in? We are in the Twin Cities (east side).
I wonder if we crossed paths? We did visit the Kidani pool one day. You'll have to check as we go along and see if you were in any of the same places! I'd like to stay at Kidani on our next trip to AKV, but also want to hit up some of the other DVC resorts - Boardwalk, Wilderness...
Old 04-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #25
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

subbing now, reading later
Moira222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #26
Lauren0505
Mouseketeer

I am in Coon Rapids. So excited that most of the snow melted today! Hoping we can finally start spring!
The most memorable part of my family during that trip was we dressed as Ghostbusters for MNSSHP and the patches on the back said "Minneapolis".
I love Kidani! Highly recommend staying there.
We have only stayed at AKV and SSR. We typically go during October and it seems all the other resorts are totally booked by the 7 month mark. Looking forward to hearing about Old Key West!
Lauren0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #27
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira222 View Post
subbing now, reading later
I promise I won't go too fast - you'll be able to keep up! I'm sure you have packing to get going on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0505 View Post
I am in Coon Rapids. So excited that most of the snow melted today! Hoping we can finally start spring!
The most memorable part of my family during that trip was we dressed as Ghostbusters for MNSSHP and the patches on the back said "Minneapolis".
I love Kidani! Highly recommend staying there.
We have only stayed at AKV and SSR. We typically go during October and it seems all the other resorts are totally booked by the 7 month mark. Looking forward to hearing about Old Key West!
Hey neighbor! That sun sure made a difference in my mood today! Too bad it won't last! What night did you go to MNSSHP? Maybe it was the same as us! I don't remember seeing ghostbusters, but you never know!
OKW is pretty cool. I took lots of pictures! I bet all the MK and Epcot area resorts book up early in October b/c of F&W and MNSSHP.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #28
MEK
DIS Veteran

All I can say right now is I can't wait to stay at AKL again. I just love it there and your pictures make me so excited!

Let the trip begin!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #29
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
All I can say right now is I can't wait to stay at AKL again. I just love it there and your pictures make me so excited!

Let the trip begin!
Well, okay then, let's gooooooo!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #30
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Where did I leave off? Oh yes, we’d settled in to AKV for the night.
So here is a picture of the bathroom floor - I KNOW you wanted to see the mess!

See, it wasn't THAT bad.

The next day was Sunday, October 14. The plan for the day was to spend some quality time at Animal Kingdom. We’d neglected it in past trips – some trips we just didn’t have a lot of days or we’d only spent a half-day there. We were even contemplating tackling Everest this time! None of us had ever ridden it before.

When we got up we took a look outside on our lovely balcony. Did you want to see our view? Yeah, I thought so!
Looking off to the right - someone was up up and away early!

Ankole Cattle

Looking back to the right toward the lobby

some hazy morning sun sort of messed up the picture!

We saw so many animals! The CM was out setting out some food and he was so close and just started chatting with those of us out on our balconies. It was really cool! We learned that giraffes have purple tongues - know why? It’s a natural sunscreen! And we learned that their tongues are as many inches long as the giraffe is feet tall! He also told us the names of some of the animals. How they keep track is beyond me – but they do! Of course I don’t remember any of them. Sarah decided that giraffes should be called “gylas” and zebras should be “zeebies”. Okaaaay… Anyway, we saw a lot of them!!

After I took about 100 pictures, and we got ready to go, we got some breakfast from The Mara. My notes say we brought it to the room, but I don’t know what we had or who went and got it! I know it was good! We have had really good food from The Mara.
This trip we decided NOT to do the DDP. We like sharing meals and often will get three meals for the four of us. I like to order appetizers too. We did not make a lot of ADRs this trip either, knowing we had a villa and were going to venture off site (!) once too!

So, tummies satisfied, we made our way to the bus stop and waited 15 minutes for a bus to take us on a 5 minute ride to AK!

Stopped for a photopass picture at the entrance and then headed to Kilimanjaro Safari. I have to go find the photopass pics and get them uploaded to Photobucket, so I guess you don't get to see that one yet!

There was about a 30- minute wait but the fast pass return time was in about 40 minutes, so we got FPs and went to explore the Pangani Trail while waiting. It was better than standing in line that whole time!

cont. in next post

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: