Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #196
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Wow you got so many great souvenirs!! Love them all, but I especially love Sarah's crystal Mickey! Love the girls' charms too!

Loved hearing Sarah's thoughts on the trip - so cute!

Looking forward to hearing about Hilton Head.
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #197
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Nice souvenirs. I'd like to get some of the soap that smells like Beach Club.

Thanks for sharing Sarah's thoughts.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
MeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #199
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I was too far behind to comment on everything.

It looks like a great trip. Sorry about the not so clean room at AKL (our tied for first resort) and I love your one-bedroom at OKW (our other tied for first resort; we've only stayed in a studio but they are big too). You had a great view.

Fun time at the parks; love the henna tattoos, love the costumes.

How great that you had a DIS meet with my girls trip partner, Mary (MaryAZ) and you met Maryellen (MEK) who I had the pleasure of meeting on our girls trip last month.

Love all the souvenirs.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #200
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Saw this posted on our group on FB; signing up and will be back to catch up.
Hey Kathy! I move pretty slowly here, so it shouldn't be too hard to keep caught up! Glad you are here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Wow you got so many great souvenirs!! Love them all, but I especially love Sarah's crystal Mickey! Love the girls' charms too!

Loved hearing Sarah's thoughts on the trip - so cute!

Looking forward to hearing about Hilton Head.
Yeah, looking at the pictures it seemed like a lot of stuff, but we gave a lot away. Hilton Head is on it's way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Nice souvenirs. I'd like to get some of the soap that smells like Beach Club.

Thanks for sharing Sarah's thoughts.
Thanks! I tend to get soaps and then I don't want to use them! Sarah will be sharing thoughts on the next phase too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Luvin the updates and the souvenir pics
Thanks! It's fun to go back and see all the "stuff". Then I realize how much there is and how much we spent!
Quote:
I was too far behind to comment on everything.

It looks like a great trip. Sorry about the not so clean room at AKL (our tied for first resort) and I love your one-bedroom at OKW (our other tied for first resort; we've only stayed in a studio but they are big too). You had a great view.

Fun time at the parks; love the henna tattoos, love the costumes.

How great that you had a DIS meet with my girls trip partner, Mary (MaryAZ) and you met Maryellen (MEK) who I had the pleasure of meeting on our girls trip last month.

Love all the souvenirs.
That OKW 1BR is crazy big! I could get spoiled staying there! I might venture to get a henna tattoo next time. They are cool!
I really enjoyed the DIS meets and meeting people this trip. Mary and the girls are so great - it was super fun to have someone for them to pal around with! Everyone was so nice!
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #201
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Heading to Hilton Head!!!

Okay, its time to head to South Carolina and Disneys Hilton Head Island resort! But naturally, I cant just jump right in to it, theres a backstory that must be told!!

My DD10, Paige, is in competitive dance. Last fall, they put out the competition schedule and to my dismay, displeasure and great inconvenience, there was a competition scheduled for the weekend of March 9-10. First of all, March 9 is my other daughter, Sarahs birthday! She did not compete in dance last year, so she would be forced to spend her birthday watching her sister dance. Which, while its fun, is not so great if you would rather be the one dancing, or be on vacation.
Second, that is the first weekend of our 2013 spring break! Crazy that they didnt check or didnt care that a lot of families were on break that week, but they did not get a lot of people telling them they were already booked, so they left it. I do know of one family that had plane and cruise reservations and they skipped the competition and the group had to do a work around without her.

Now we had made reservations to stay at HHI from March 10  14 originally. Of course, we were driving, so no plane reservation issues for us. But, our plan was to leave on Friday the 8th, since the kids had no school that day. We even thought of leaving after work on Thursday and spending the night driving, then having a couple days to explore Charleston first.

So armed with this new dance competition schedule, we were able to shift our stay at HHI to arrive on Monday and leave Friday. Not a huge deal, but left us with less time in Charleston on the front end. I had gained some great info on Charleston from MEK and Charleston Princess (of course!) and was really looking forward to exploring the city.
We rented a minivan to leave on Sunday March 10. (got a GREAT deal by the way!)
As the time got closer, we learned the competition schedule. They usually only release it a week before competition. As luck would have it, Paiges group only competed on Saturday! So we would be able to leave earlier than we thought!
We decided wed leave Saturday night as soon as she was done, so we called the rental agency and changed the pick up date. As it turned out, her competition was only a few miles from the airport where wed pick up the van!
So Saturday morning, we got up early and headed to the competition, where Paiges group scored very well on both their dances. Sarah was a great sister and supported the dance studio.
Once the awards were done, we high-tailed it out of there and headed to the airport. Dave got the van and we were home in no time, washed off Paiges stage makeup and got our belongings loaded in the van.

Ready to go!

We were able to leave our house by 5:30 p.m. and of course it had to be raining!! We just kept going and going and going! Normally we stop about half way through Wisconsin, but no one needed to stop, and we still had gas, so we made it all the way into Illinois before we stopped at the Belvidere Oasis! Thats like 6 hours! It was raining and raining&I thought wed stop for the night somewhere around Rockford, but Dave decided to keep going.

And going some more.

And more.

We ended up driving all night! Now we do this fairly often, but I wasnt expecting to do it this time. But hey, if hes willing to drive and get us there sooner, who am I to complain??

We stopped in Kentucky, or was it Tennessee? Maybe both! And got some breakfast at about 9 a.m. at a Cracker Barrel (which is the place Dave and I both worked when we first met.  Awww&)

I guess it was Kentucky - saw this in the shop!

Tennessee would be a bit later...

Then it was North Carolina

We try to stop at the welcome centers for these photo ops at as many states as we drive through. Someday it will make a cool scrapbook!

Passed through Asheville NC (wed stop there later) and headed into South Carolina.

Look! The daffodils are already blooming here!

Got to Charleston about 5:30 p.m. A lovely little 24 hour road trip! We checked into our hotel  a Comfort Inn/Suites and decided to wander around the city a bit. Now, I dont think wed made a reservation ahead of time at this hotel, wed just looked around and stopped there if I recall.
Our hotel - I didn't remember to take a pic until we were leaving town and driving past!

Found the inside the room pics on my phone!

Within about 10 minutes of driving in this city, I was in love! It is quite possibly one of the most beautiful cities Ive ever seen! Im already thinking that one of my kids could go to college there, or we could retire there part of the winter.... We wandered and found a BBQ place to have a late dinner  Sticky Fingers BBQ. Super good!

But we were getting tired, and after dinner headed back to the hotel to get some rest. But of course, the girls werent too tired to swim in the hotel pool! I think Dave took them down for a swim and we all got to bed about 10:30. Wed spend the next day exploring Charleston before heading to HHI.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #202
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Why would anyone plan an event during a school break? Glad it all worked out.

I can't imagine driving 24 hours straight. I was at the Belvidere Oasis a month ago on the way back from Iowa and our son's wedding.

Although I had a nice Grilled Cheese Sandwich and salad for dinner, I am drooling...I love BBQ and that place looks awesome.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #203
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Love you souvenirs!

I don't think I could stand a 24 hour drive. Over the years I get so antsy in the car now. But my husband is all about getting there faster too. Now I just insist on flying most of the time if we can. But that doesn't always work either.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #204
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post

This looks very much like our haul.

Quote:

Look! The daffodils are already blooming here!

This is why I love my spring trips - everything in the south is so alive and colorful after a drab Tennessee winter.

Quote:

But we were getting tired, and after dinner headed back to the hotel to get some rest. But of course, the girls werent too tired to swim in the hotel pool! I think Dave took them down for a swim and we all got to bed about 10:30. Wed spend the next day exploring Charleston before heading to HHI.

I first read this as the girls were too tired to swim, and I was shocked! Kids are never to tired to swim!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
MeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #205
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Like I just said in my TR -- you guys are awesome road trip-ers!!!

Too bad the dance competition got you off to a late start, but it looks like Dave was determined to make up the time!! We were supposed to go to Charleston while we were in Charlotte over the 4th, but we didn't make it. Maybe another time. Everyone always says how wonderful it is.

Looks like your trip is off to a great start. Can't wait to hear more!!
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #206
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Why would anyone plan an event during a school break? Glad it all worked out.

I can't imagine driving 24 hours straight. I was at the Belvidere Oasis a month ago on the way back from Iowa and our son's wedding.

Although I had a nice Grilled Cheese Sandwich and salad for dinner, I am drooling...I love BBQ and that place looks awesome.
I know, right? I already warned them they better check the school calendars! My DH loves BBQ and we all thought it was very good. Turns out there are a couple of them around the area. Sorry to make you drool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Love you souvenirs!

I don't think I could stand a 24 hour drive. Over the years I get so antsy in the car now. But my husband is all about getting there faster too. Now I just insist on flying most of the time if we can. But that doesn't always work either.
It takes its toll, for sure, but if it means we don't go if we don't drive, I'll drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
This looks very much like our haul.

Yup, have to bring our little friends along!

This is why I love my spring trips - everything in the south is so alive and colorful after a drab Tennessee winter.

I know what you mean! I'm so excited to see any green after a long Minnesota Winter (Yes, it needs to be capitalized).

I first read this as the girls were too tired to swim, and I was shocked! Kids are never to tired to swim!
Exactly, they could be falling asleep at the dinner table (Paige had a headache I think because she was tired), and they could find energy to go swimming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Like I just said in my TR -- you guys are awesome road trip-ers!!!

Too bad the dance competition got you off to a late start, but it looks like Dave was determined to make up the time!! We were supposed to go to Charleston while we were in Charlotte over the 4th, but we didn't make it. Maybe another time. Everyone always says how wonderful it is.

Looks like your trip is off to a great start. Can't wait to hear more!!
Thanks - apparently it's a necessary evil for us to get as much travel as we like!
We made pretty good time and just wish we had a couple extra days, oh, say like we would have except for the dance scheduling problem! Oh well. I hope you get to see Charleston - the homes are like in Celebration, only older and more authentic. Very picturesque. Stay tuned, the pictures (and there are lots of them) are coming soon!

Last edited by Mndisneygirl; 07-16-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #207
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Charleston March 11

We were up around 7:45 and enjoyed the free breakfast buffet at the hotel (all the usual fare). It was a lovely morning, a bit cool, but we sat outside anyway!

We headed back to the downtown area and found a place to park (no easy feat) near Battery Park and the waterfront. Our plan was just to wander around, and I had a couple places I wanted to try to find. This will be a picture intensive update! I couldnt help myself! Everything was so picture-worthy and unique and beautiful!

Isn't this cute? I can't remember where I saw it, but I wish I had bought it!

A home on the waterfront.

It was kind of a gray morning, but we didn't mind.

Battery Park we walked along the waterfront, and wandered through the park checking out the monuments etc.

We found our state!

Looking down to the pier

Military ship

Aircraft carrier!

MORE beautiful homes!

The railings remind me of Paris

Love the details!

This one reminded me of England!

Cont. in next post

Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #208
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

More pics!
Rainbow Row went into a little art shop and the artist told us all wed ever want to know about Rainbow Row and how artists try to paint it, but no one but him does the WHOLE thing. Didnt buy anything, although it would be a great memento from the city.

Love these gaslights!

Sarah suggested this picture

Cool fountain!

At the pier

Down by the pier we were on the lookout DOLPHINS!!! Sarah was in HEAVEN! She was talking to the dolphins (she can make the squeaky, chirpy noise dolphins make) and one guy nearby said she sounded just like them. Of course, that only encouraged her. She swore they came closer when she called.

Check out this lovely park area right at the waterfront

Just having a good time!

hmmm...

My three favorite people!

What a pretty garden!

Okay, it's getting late and there's a LOT more pictures, so I'm going to have to stop here.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #209
MEK
DIS Veteran

I am behind again. Will catch up properly tonight! We ate at Sticky Fingers, too! We did a drive by through Charleston on our last trip and ended up bringing all the sauces home for Nick. Quite honestly, not sure what you thought (speed reading), but I thought it was just average. Probably why they were pushing it at the Visitor center

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #210
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

This is a spot on my bucket list and I am enjoying all the pictures. I would go nuts taking pictures of those huge houses too. They are gorgeous.
I wonder if I can talk Skip into going before the summer is over? hmmmmm
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: