Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
ncc1701
Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWfan,uk View Post
We were in San Fran last October & would suggest taking a hop-on hop-off bus tour - the Big Bus Company is I believe the best.

Definitely a visit to Alcatraz should be on your 'to do' list - but do buy your tickets in advance! They often sell out. There is just one boat service over there & we bought our tickets online from their website.

We were so lucky on our trip that there was no fog - be prepared for the fog to move in at any time though & take layers.

If you have enough time, visit Sausalito - it is a waterfront town across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco - picturesque! Have a look at more info online to see if you would like to visit.
Second all of those suggestions. We always go over to Sausalito 1 day & eat lunch on all our trips at a restaurant called the Spinmaker. Sits at the water over looking the city.Really good food and a great view.
When we went on our last trip we rented a car to go to wine country for a fews days and then returned it before going into town.We never needed a car in San Francisco. Between a 2 day hop on/ off bus, ferry to Sausalito and a Muni pass we got to where we wanted to be. We figured if we did needed a car we would use a cab. Hotel parking isn't cheap.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #17
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAN View Post

One thing to remember -maps are flat, San Fran ..not so much! This from our trip a few years ago when I told my wife a place was right around the corner ...and up a HUGE hill.
Oh yeah. I am not in bad shape, but I am from flat Texas. I got really cranky walking up and down all those hills in the downtown area. It did look like a short distance on the map. I knew it was hilly from movies and such, but "hilly" is way hillier when you're walking. And even riding in the car while my husband was driving on thr hills made me nervous.

I think part of why I liked the Presidio and wharf areas better than downtown was that I felt almost claustrophobic downtown. More open spaces.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #18
ScubaD
She is my Disney

Special winery tour

If you are in Napa I suggest visiting Silverado Winery. Owned by Ron and Diane Disney/Miller. Beautiful facility and great wine. And if you see a lady working the garden it could be Diane.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

Great cab's!
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #20
mjtm610
Mouseketeer

I am absolutely putting that on my list of must do's. My list is so long .....I think we might have to stay a month!
Thanks for all the tips!
mjtm610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #21
disneyfanbecky
Mouseketeer

I would suggest checking out something like Air B n B and considering renting an apartment in Cole Valley or Upper Haight area. I have friends who have rented great places, one was a 2 bedroom place with parking, a garden, and internet in a very safe location within walking distance of Golden Gate park and it was $200/night. Hotels in SF can be very expensive!

I'd definitely second the recommendation to explore Golden Gate park - the museums there are also fantastic. If you don't plan to go into the museums, I would still say you should go check out the observatory floor of the DeYoung museum for a beautiful view (you don't need a ticket to see this). A stroll along Crissy Fields can be nice but breezy, but if you're feeling like a beautiful walk more away from the tourist side of things I would recommend Fort Funston National Park (you can check out Yelp to see what it's like).

You probably have enough to go off of, but there are a lot of cute streets if you're interested in doing more of the locals things too - as great as the tourist areas are!
disneyfanbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: