Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
JustUs275
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnmom2001 View Post
Funny he says, well getting ready for dinner or going out, you were stressed, UH, DUH maybe because you didn't help and I have to do it all on my own. If I ask for help, well wait, why should I have to ask for help? I tell him this and he gets angry, he says"well you just know what to do" Shouldn't someone automatically help with their own children and or just know hey, our son needs his clothes out, his meds etc. Just do it!!!
Our kids are grown now, but my DH was the same way - he thought since I seemed to "just know what to do", that I should be the one doing it! So I know where you are coming from. Now, we are grandparents and we are also contributing to our DD, SIL and 2DGD's Disney cruise vacation! Just a thought - with the grandparents along, will they be helpful with the kids? Our 6 yr old DGD is actually staying in our cabin and I know that will help our DD out a lot because I will make sure she's dressed for dinner etc. The 1 yr old will be more than enough to keep her momma busy!

Maybe, if your parents are also the help-with-the-kids type, that would make things less stressful for you and also make a 7 day cruise more appealing to your DH? Sounds like they do want to vacation with you and the kids, since they are offering to contribute towards the expense.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #17
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

We've done 4 nights on the Dream and 7 nights on the Fantasy. While we loved our cruise on the Dream, the longer itinerary on the Fantasy was so much more relaxing. It always seems to take us a couple of days to get into a groove and to fully relax. On the Dream, we felt as if we were just beginning to unwind and then it was time to pack already! The one area that was still rushed on the longer cruise was getting ready for dinner, but that's because we had the early seating. If you think the later seating might work for your family, that might be one way of alleviating stress. You could also plan to skip the MDRs a couple of times in favor of hanging out by the pool and then eat whenever you're ready at Cabanas. We had planned to do that on the Fantasy, but we really enjoyed the MDRs. Our servers were fantastic and really got to know us and our preferences by the third night.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #18
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
He said it was wonderful and he liked the cruise itself but felt it was to rushed/go go go and feels that 4 days of all of that is more than enough.
I think he's got it backwards. With a longer cruise there *can* be LESS rush. We did the 3 night as our first Disney cruise, and it was just madness IMO, with rushing from place to place, and that wasn't even to get to activities, but just for shows and dinner and eating, etc. We were also still dealing with the time difference, which made early bedtimes difficult and early mornings even worse.

With a longer trip you have more time to see what you want to see, and since it's your second you will already be familiar with things and won't be SO overwhelmed. Those two aspects can make it feel less rushed.

Also, having lots of gentle, kind discussions ahead of time about what the kids need, what you need, and what he needs, when getting ready for shows and dinner and getting off of the ship, etc, will be extremely productive for when you're on the ship.

I think there's often one parent who seems better at the "getting kids ready" part of family life, and one parent who isn't. Oftentimes it's the man who isn't as on the ball, but sometimes it's the woman (in my own relationship, DH is often much better at getting DS ready, though sometimes we swap), but either way, if the seemingly more talented parent needs help, it's ALWAYS better to kindly ask for help EARLY, and before getting even a bit irritated, rather than to wait until annoyance has set in.

"Can you please help Johnny tie his shoes" is infinitely better (for everyone) than "why on earth don't you ever see that Johnny isn't perfect with shoe tying, you should know that I need help!" (and I say that from both sides of it...it's just as irritating for a spouse to get mad at you because you didn't read their minds (no matter how much they think you should already have read their mind for the last 10 years) as it is to GET irritated with someone when you could have avoided it by communicating clearly and easily from the beginning)

Best of luck in figuring out a good next vacation for everyone!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #19
g3pak
DIS Veteran

Guess I am the only one that had this thought--could it be that your husband doesn't want to spend a 7 day cruise with your parents? How well does your husband get along with your parents? He may be thinking "its hard enough to spend 5 days with them on land where I can hop in my car and get away for a couple of hours, how in the world would I take 7 days on a boat that gives me little option to get away?"
g3pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #20
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

I'm going to be the only one on this board who agrees with your Hubby. Our cruises have ranged from 3 nights to 8 nights and I prefer the 5 nights we have taken. Anything longer than that feels way too long for me, there is only so much you can do on board if you are not the sleep and eat all day type. On our 8 night I was so ready to go home and I hate feeling that way on vacation. The only reason we are doing another long cruise (7 night S. Caribbean) is because it is very port intensive. I would do the shorter cruise and then Discovery Cove/ Aquatica. Just my opinion so don't flame me Disboarders!! LOL.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #21
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaMouseketeers View Post
I guess I don't understand how a cruise can be, too busy/go go go. A cruise can be as busy or as relaxing as you make it.

Or does he feel he must participate in every activity that the family wants to do?

In that case let him know that he doesn't have to do an excursion at every port if he doesn't want to, or hit every show if he doesn't want to, or do every family activity on the navigator if he doesn't want to.

When we do a cruise we will split up several times during the cruise so someone can do something they really want to but the other/s do not. My wife did the spa several times, I did some of the booze tasting. Our son loved being in the kids club. But we still found some family time together each day also.

We love the seven night cruises, four seems really short to us now.
This was my first thought. Our cruises have been hectic when we scheduled a lot to do in a day and relaxing when we didn't. We've only done 2 5 nights and an 8 night. The first 5 night was more hectic, but it was our first cruise and we were trying to see as much as we could. The next 2 were not that hectic. There were times when there were several things back to back we wanted to do, but other times that I'd go sit by the pool and read for hours at at time. You can set your schedule and whether or not you make it hectic. My next cruises booked are 4 nights because that's what fit in our schedule but except for nightly shows, nothing will be required for us and we'll vacation at our own pace.
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #22
Fjobe
DIS Veteran

Our first cruise (just last month) was extremely busy and hectic, but we totally made it that way because we wanted to do everything! I didn't even have enough time to watch a movie like I wanted (I was actually hoping to watch 2 of the movies playing). It is for that reason that I want to do a 7 day next time. More days to do what you want allows you to slow it down and take your time.

As far as rushing to get ready for going out or dinner/show, I have found that packing the kids outfits including socks and underwear labeled by day in a zip lock helps so much. Then, I can just hand the child the zip lock to get dressed while I get myself ready. The only time consuming thing for me is washing/fixing the girls' hair (it's down to their bottoms and something DH definitely couldn't help with). I am by myself with them every weekend while DH is at work and I get the kids ready on weekdays, so we have our routine down.

When the kids were a little younger and very overwhelming, I found that I did have to ask DH for help. He was always more than willing to do what I asked of him, but he could honestly not just see what needed to be done. At first I got upset that he couldn't see what should be done, but now I realize it's just not one of his strengths. As long as he's willing to help when I ask, I try to be thankful.

Fjobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #23
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

Good luck deciding it all. Do you think an option would be to ditch the cruise and just book a nice, relaxing land vacation with lots of resort time sprinkled in with Discovery Cove? Sounds like your hubby wants more down time.

Again, good luck. I know it is not easy trying to please everyone and agreeing on a comfortable budget. Whatever you decide to do, it will be great!
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #24
Cdnmom2001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
price out cost of actual vacations and compare.

Discovery Cove is pretty expensive.
we are pricing out both options, however Discovery Cove is free this time, we went last time and they offered us free trip within 2 years of our last visit. However we are debating now, no cruise at all (breaks my heart to even consider it) and then make it a most reseasonable price for a trip. It can still be fun, just not as expensive. we can do seaworld, we can do discovery cove we can drive to the coast for the beach and then maybe a few days of shopping....not sure what to consider or what is best for our family at this point
Mr. A -- 8 and awesome
Surprise Trip for the kids Disney Dream Cruise --April 27, 2014 - May 1st, 2014! stateroom #8188 !!! Kids are going to freak out Christmas morning
2nd Family Disney trip, May 2012 which included Magic Kindgom, Seaworld Discovery Cove and a 4 night Disney Dream Cruise, stateroom 9662, beyond incredible trip!!!

First Family Trip to Disney 2009 stayed on site at CBR, 5 days in the parks and truly 1st trip incredible memories that we will have for a lifetime
Cdnmom2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #25
Cdnmom2001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pak View Post
Guess I am the only one that had this thought--could it be that your husband doesn't want to spend a 7 day cruise with your parents? How well does your husband get along with your parents? He may be thinking "its hard enough to spend 5 days with them on land where I can hop in my car and get away for a couple of hours, how in the world would I take 7 days on a boat that gives me little option to get away?"
even before my parents asked to come along(last week) we booked a 4 day on opening day for the 2014 pricing. Nothing to do with my parents, it's just to cruise itself. We did schedule alot in on our first cruise, however not knowing if we would ever be able to do a 2nd cruise, we thought this was our best option. He liked the cruise, the food etc, however he didn't like the rushing around for signatures and photos, then be here for dinner and then here for a show and or do this or do that. I am 41 and he is 49, recently I have noticed he is getting tired more easily and not so into things lately. Not sure if it is age or just him. Our last trip we did 2 days at seaworld, 1 day at discovery cove, 1 day at magic kingdom and 4 days on the cruise, I am thinking by the time we got to the cruise, he was too exhausted.
Mr. A -- 8 and awesome
Surprise Trip for the kids Disney Dream Cruise --April 27, 2014 - May 1st, 2014! stateroom #8188 !!! Kids are going to freak out Christmas morning
2nd Family Disney trip, May 2012 which included Magic Kindgom, Seaworld Discovery Cove and a 4 night Disney Dream Cruise, stateroom 9662, beyond incredible trip!!!

First Family Trip to Disney 2009 stayed on site at CBR, 5 days in the parks and truly 1st trip incredible memories that we will have for a lifetime
Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #26
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnmom2001 View Post
even before my parents asked to come along(last week) we booked a 4 day on opening day for the 2014 pricing. Nothing to do with my parents, it's just to cruise itself. We did schedule alot in on our first cruise, however not knowing if we would ever be able to do a 2nd cruise, we thought this was our best option. He liked the cruise, the food etc, however he didn't like the rushing around for signatures and photos, then be here for dinner and then here for a show and or do this or do that. I am 41 and he is 49, recently I have noticed he is getting tired more easily and not so into things lately. Not sure if it is age or just him. Our last trip we did 2 days at seaworld, 1 day at discovery cove, 1 day at magic kingdom and 4 days on the cruise, I am thinking by the time we got to the cruise, he was too exhausted.
That could be it.

I know on our cruise my parents have said it will likely be the only one we do as a family, so of course we want to experience as much as we can, but we also want to create memories to last a lifetime, and we've realized that sometimes that means slowing down and not trying to cram it all in.

When you're scheduling, maybe think about what you want to look back on: the snippets of 25 different things you just touched on or real memories and in-depth stories of 4 or 5 really special activities you did?

Just a thought.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #27
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Have you thought about trying another cruise line?
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #28
Cdnmom2001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
Have you thought about trying another cruise line?
My parent are on the Epic (norweign) right now and said they will let us know of deals etc and maybe we could do that. She explained the rates to me and I said let me talk to hubby. He now comes out with, I think it was the Disney part of the cruise he isn't willing to give up and would rather pay for a disney cruise and have that wonderful experience again, however he is not sure if he can do a 4 or 7 day. However he is more than willing to give up the cruise all together. I think that I would rather do either 4 or 7 night but would love the 7 night more. We shall see where this all leads
Mr. A -- 8 and awesome

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: