Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #31
momofboyz3
DIS Veteran

I had success w/ online. I was unsure what to do. But, 2 days before our vacation I said.... What the heck let me try this online check in thing. Well I was at PoR at 11am. A cast member came to me with a tablet and asked me and others (I was the only one) if we did online checkin. She took me out of line and brought me to the chairs. Soon after she told me our room was ready!!!! I also had been upgraded to a RR.
momofboyz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #32
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Have had 3 successes with OLCI but I'm going to try it without as I'm planning on trying to upgrade when I check in.. Paying for it of course but I won't be able to come up with the funds for upgrade until right before we arrive..

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & BWI Sept 8-15, 2013
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #33
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
Have had 3 successes with OLCI but I'm going to try it without as I'm planning on trying to upgrade when I check in.. Paying for it of course but I won't be able to come up with the funds for upgrade until right before we arrive..

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & BWI Sept 8-15, 2013
I think I might try to upgrade at check in also, if I can save up the $$ and my upgrade is available.

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #34
teentoddlermom
DIS Veteran

Going to try it!

I've avoided ONCI because I really want to talk to the CM checking me in because I thought it would start the magic off right! However, since my trip in 2/2011, I've been 4 times, and have received a tired and basically unfriendly greeting. I wonder if Disney is telling CMs to ramp down the regular check in process, in order to steer us over to taking care of it ourselves
Hoping to get my only request of a first floor room.

October 1974, May and November 1985, August 1992, Offsite, August 1998 CSR, August 2003 GF Sugarloaf, August 2004 YC CL, August and November 2005 BWI CL and ASMu, August 2006 AKL, August 2007 WL, February 2008 YC, August 2008 [COLOR="red"]POP[/COLOR], July 2009 GF, Feb 2010 BC, CL Feb 2011 BWI, Aug 2011 POP, Feb 2012 PORS, Aug 2012 PORS, April 2013 AoA and PORS, July 2013 ASSp, August 2013 DLH, Dec 2013 CBR,Feb 2014 PORS, July 2014 AKL. The teen is now in Law school, the toddler is in High school, but my username remains the same! (and I haven't aged)
teentoddlermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #35
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teentoddlermom View Post

I've avoided ONCI because I really want to talk to the CM checking me in because I thought it would start the magic off right! However, since my trip in 2/2011, I've been 4 times, and have received a tired and basically unfriendly greeting. I wonder if Disney is telling CMs to ramp down the regular check in process, in order to steer us over to taking care of it ourselves
Hoping to get my only request of a first floor room.
We have done online check in our last 4 trips and always chat up the CM. Other than our documents already being printed, I have found zero difference in the total experience. So I highly doubt that Disney is telling the CMs to ramp down the regular check in. And contrary to popular belief, if you are not happy with your room assignment you can still ask if there's something else available.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #36
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
We have done online check in our last 4 trips and always chat up the CM. Other than our documents already being printed, I have found zero difference in the total experience. So I highly doubt that Disney is telling the CMs to ramp down the regular check in. And contrary to popular belief, if you are not happy with your room assignment you can still ask if there's something else available.
Yes you can have your room assignment changed but it's not a simple process at the OLCI counter. They have to get a manager to check the availability and then the manager has to come out front and change all the paperwork. I've had to go through this process and it took about 15 minutes. Had I gone to the regular check in line I would have been in my room already.

The time they didn't have my package ready at the OLCI counter it took about 20 minutes. It seems that the CM's at this counter can't do anything other than hand out the packages. In both experiences they required someone else to take over.

dancin Disney style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #37
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancin Disney style View Post
Yes you can have your room assignment changed but it's not a simple process at the OLCI counter. They have to get a manager to check the availability and then the manager has to come out front and change all the paperwork. I've had to go through this process and it took about 15 minutes. Had I gone to the regular check in line I would have been in my room already.

The time they didn't have my package ready at the OLCI counter it took about 20 minutes. It seems that the CM's at this counter can't do anything other than hand out the packages. In both experiences they required someone else to take over.
Wow. I don't think that's normal. We asked for another room at the OLCI desk at CBR and the CM was able to give us a choice of 3 different rooms and cut us new KTTWs in 5 minutes. I asked if it was possible at first being we did online check in, and she said no problem. She said whether you check in online or not, you are assigned a room a day or 2 prior to your arrival so she would have to do the same process as if we were in the normal check in line.

We've also been at the OLCI desk right next to a family that asked for another room and the CM was able to switch it for them within a couple minutes too.

Last edited by dansdad; 06-19-2013 at 08:26 AM.
dansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #38
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

We had no issues switching rooms at POR after doing online check in. Just a few minutes & everything was taken care of.

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #39
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

After a check-in nightmare at SSR in 2011, I decided to do online checkin this time, and it was flawless.

I requested early arrival at 1:30 pm, and a room as close to the SSR Carriage House as possible. Both were accommodated - we arrived just a bit late, but our room was ready and perfect in the Springs, literally next door to the Carriage House. I can't state with certainty these things lined up solely because we opted for online check-in, but my trick knee tells me it sure didn't hurt any. At a minimum, it seems it would get me at least a chance for higher-up placement in the "rack and stack" process that must be undertaken at some level to organize and assign rooms.

About the only hiccup was that our info packet wasn't ready when we got there - the CM told me it was assigned to someone who, for whatever reason, started it, but didn't finish it. She whipped up the keycards and the folder in just a couple of minutes, apologized for the delay, and we were on our way. Staggering departure from the four hour disaster marathon that was our check-in experience in 2011. All happy faces this time around!

So, FWIW, here's a vote very much in favor of OLCI.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #40
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
You can still ask for a room change, but for the people behind you in line you have made their wait that much longer. On line check in is for those who want to grab their packet and go. I'm not sure why you would use it if you have a request or need that you must have met.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #41
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post

You can still ask for a room change, but for the people behind you in line you have made their wait that much longer. On line check in is for those who want to grab their packet and go.
Yeah, but you don't know what you've got until you check in.... It's my vacation and money and if its not to my liking... I'm going to repair it at check in.... Others can move to regular or wait... It isn't going to take that long to get reassigned..

We've used online for years, never took less time then regular and must say, sometimes longer... There's no hurry!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #42
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

We've used OLCI three times. Our first time was for POR -- worst check-in experience we've had. It was late. It took forever despite there only being one person waiting in line in front of us. The CM was less-than-helpful. We got the room area we had requested on the reservation though. Our second time was just recently for our CBR stay, all requests (there were made online instead of over the phone) were met and the process was super-quick. And our final time was after our CBR stay, at AKL. Another flawless check-in and an absolutely fabulous room, with all our requests met.

With most of these things, it's just luck of the draw with how smoothly it goes... time of day, how busy they are, the CM you get, etc.
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #43
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
You can still ask for a room change, but for the people behind you in line you have made their wait that much longer. On line check in is for those who want to grab their packet and go. I'm not sure why you would use it if you have a request or need that you must have met.
It wasn't that we needed a different room, just asked if there was something available in the area we wanted and there was. The whole transaction took less than 5 minutes.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #44
maddiebee
DIS Veteran

We'll be checking in at about 11a. Does online vs. regular check in matter at this point of the day? Is there something we can do with our bags if our room isn't ready yet and we use online check in(we want to head to the parks asap!)?
maddiebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #45
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiebee View Post
We'll be checking in at about 11a. Does online vs. regular check in matter at this point of the day? Is there something we can do with our bags if our room isn't ready yet and we use online check in(we want to head to the parks asap!)?
Doesn't matter what time you check in. If you have a room request arriving early is helpful.

You can leave your bags in the luggage room.

dancin Disney style is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: