Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
Kimi313
DIS Veteran

We also do not do on-line check in. We usually will request bottom floor which most people don't so I would just rather wait in line then check on my info there. I am the type of person that if something was wrong with reservation I would let it go so I wouldn't back up the on-line check in line where it is suppose to be quick. But this is just me.
Hilton '92, Cont '93, Cont '94, POR '95, Poly Lag '96, Cont Tower '97, Off Site '97,Cont Tower '98, WL '99, Poly '00, Poly '00, ASSp '01, Cont '01, Poly '02, GF '03, Cont Tow '04, WL '05, Poly '06, ASMo '07 Poly '07, ASMo '08, Poly '10, Ft Wilderness '11, Beach Club '12, Beach Club NYE, Cont Tow '13, Cont Tow '14
Kimi313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #17
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

They still talk to you, they will tell you info. The only thing they do not have to do is make up the packet. That's it. They will even change your room if needed. Of course then they have to redo or remake (it is said that the RFID cards can be simply reprogrammed but we had to have ours redone over and over on our recent trip) but takes almost no time.

And if you do not want info then it takes less time.

Most of the time we are helped by a normal checkin CM anyway, not the one person at the place where you line up if you've done online checkin.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
wifey
DIS Veteran

This seems like a great idea for us since we will probably be arriving around 10 pm or so. We will just want to make it to our room and collapse after travelling indirect via Atlanta travelling all day from the UK. The time difference will still hit us hard and our poor muddled brains will think it's 3 am UK time despite our best efforts. Later next week we will reach our 60 day mark so I can fill all the details in online then and pray everything moves in our favour on travel day. We have never done OLCI before but it looks fairly painless to manage.

Food Report 2009 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2204927

Trip Report 2009 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2286975

Trip Report 2007 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1508500[img]

June 1998 Comfort Inn LBV, November 2000 AS Music Jazz 2510, September 2002 SpringHill Suites MV, February 2004 AS Movies Purdey 4960, June 2005 Comfort Inn LBV, November 2005 Sequoia Lodge DLRP Last trip 21st June 2007 AS Movies,September 2009 First time at Port Orleans French Quarter,Next trip Yacht club (club level)August 2013
Me DH NielDS Ethan
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #19
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I have done online check in every time since it's been offered. I seldom make requests, but the few times I have, they have been met (usually generic requests like upper floor or near lobby). I have never been placed in a room that I considered to be an "afterthought".

There is one time that doing online check in was a definite benefit. I was checking in during one of the multi-day computer updates, when all the systems were down, including front desk. For people who didn't do online check in, they received a KTTW that was a door key only, and the CM had to manually write down all their info, including their credit card info, to be entered later in the system. They also had to go back to the front desk once the computers came back up to get the KTTW that would have room charging capabilities, etc. on them. Because I had done online check in, and my packet was created before the system went down, my KTTW was already set up with the charging privileges and I did not have to go back to the desk. I also didn't have my credit card number written on a piece of paper that could have ended up who knows where. The CM at the desk was very thankful that I had done online check in, as the manual process was very tedious.

So for the OP, it sounds like online check in is not for you, for this trip. But for everyone, if Disney gives notice that their system will be down, and you are checking in during that time, it might be a good idea to go ahead and do the online check in and save yourself some inconvenience.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #20
dpswift
DIS Veteran

Another time that it is a good idea to do online check in is if you are arriving at a mega resort such as POP during a popular time. The difference in the amount of people waiting was incredible. There were 4 or 5 in the online line compared to 20 or so in the regular line. Keep in mind that some of the people in the regular line will have billing issues if it is check out time.

Disney is working to cut the lines down by sending CMs out with tablets to assist with simple checkouts.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #21
Disneytwinsmom
DIS Veteran

I really that it is a matter of preference. I prefer the online because everytime it has been super quick and I have always gotten all my requests.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #22
Mazz519
DIS Veteran

Doing it for the first time this upcoming trip in July, we will see, When I made the ressie through DVC I made all my room requests then Pool view High Floor, we will see....

Last edited by Mazz519; 06-17-2013 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Mispelled word
Mazz519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #23
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

The dis pod cast team just did a 7 resorts in 7 days. They had quite a bit of problems with online check in. I think at 5 of the seven . Some computer issues with the new" my magic" system. They suggest skipping online for now. I have not had a. Issue with it in the past, but I did get some bad rooms and I had to stand there anyway. Either way I think you will be ok.

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #24
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

I've only had problems with OLCI. I"ve arrived to find that my package was not ready....I've arrived and found that they assigned me the complete and total opposite to what I requested, which is always very generic ie: just a building or non poolside. In my experiences with OLCI it has taken far longer than if I had used the regular checkin.

I find that OLCI usually only has one CM working it so the line can get backed up if a DME bus has just arrived. The regular checkin always has 4-6 CM's and it goes just as fast.

I seriously doubt that I will ever use OLCI again.

dancin Disney style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #25
ChiDisneyFan
Mouseketeer

I was going to try Online Check-in for the first time but after seeing all the issues that Pete was having in his 7 in 7 series I decided to check in the old fashioned way, do not want to start my vacation with problems and Pete stated it happened at every resort, seems the system is not ready for this at this time.
ChiDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #26
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancin Disney style View Post
I've only had problems with OLCI. I"ve arrived to find that my package was not ready
You mean I'm not the only one that that has happened to???

Yep, on line check in is NOT for me either! I've ended up downgraded, or with rooms as far away from the main buildings as geographically possible.

On the other hand when I've done old fashioned check in I have gotten my requests met, and even been upgraded one time. I'm sticking with the old fashioned way.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #27
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
You mean I'm not the only one that that has happened to???

Yep, on line check in is NOT for me either! I've ended up downgraded, or with rooms as far away from the main buildings as geographically possible.

On the other hand when I've done old fashioned check in I have gotten my requests met, and even been upgraded one time. I'm sticking with the old fashioned way.
We must have had the same CM's. I've had the same experiences. Once I requested to be as close as possible to Melody Hall due to a knee injury and they put me in the very furthest point in Country Fair. I had booked and paid for a preferred room. They did move my room but it was a huge deal to make it happen.

Any time (so far) that I've used the other check in I've received my requests without asking.

dancin Disney style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #28
McKelly
DIS Veteran

I have used OLCI twice and it was not any faster than regular check-in. People in front of us were at the desk for a lllooonnnggg time.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #29
shell8558
DIS Veteran

I have used online check in every year since it has started and never had any problems . ( guess I'm the exception ) One year at POR - I asked if I could get a room in the mansions and the cm checked to see if one was available and there was - took about 2 minutes to switch rooms for me. This year I picked up my packet from cm at sports resort and when I got to my room , realized I had been upgraded to surfs up section. I have also checked in at 7 am at POR on a separate trip and my room was already available and I was able to unload my car .
Old 06-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #30
Mrs Grumpy
DIS Veteran

We did online check in for our last trip and it was great. We were on our way to our room in less than 5 minutes. We didn't have any requests though. Now I am trying to decide if I want to do it for our upcoming trip. We have a room only reservation for the first night and then we start our free dining package the next night for 9 nights. We are staying at POR and we know we will have to check out and back in no matter what but we really want to be able to stay in the same room. How do you think doing online check in would help or hurt this? The only real request other than staying in the same room for both reservations is we would like to be in the AB section.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: