Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #16
CtinaDitty
Disney Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~I would love to see something new at DHS, it's desperately needed. With that said, I have some concerns about Star Wars, because Star Tours is hardly popular, it's always been walk on, even after the recent refurb. Why is that? I really enjoy the ride, and I have read nothing but great reviews from others. I really hope Star Wars is not overrated. I also wonder if Star Wars land will be aesthetically pleasing for the average theme park guest. I think Carsland is beautiful, especially at night. Avatarland will look fabulous, day or night, with its lush landscaping and glorious mountains. I'm super excited about Avatarland, I just can't wait for that! And, I'm equally excited about something new for DHS, maybe a combination of Pixarland & Star Wars will be best. We'll see.
I've been when Star Tours was packed. I think it's a real hit-or-miss ride on whether it's crowded or not.

I would love to see a Star Wars Land, especially built into HS.
CtinaDitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #17
rachlovestv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~I would love to see something new at DHS, it's desperately needed. With that said, I have some concerns about Star Wars, because Star Tours is hardly popular, it's always been walk on, even after the recent refurb. Why is that? I really enjoy the ride, and I have read nothing but great reviews from others. I really hope Star Wars is not overrated.
On the other hand, the Star Tours at Disneyland is rarely walk-on these days. If you get there when park opens, you can usually get right on, but after that, the line is usually 30-90 minutes long. I'm not too worried about their overestimating the popularity of Star Wars, especially with new movies coming out.
rachlovestv is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #18
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

I think a Star Wars Land has potential. It would be a good place to put more extreme rides that would appeal more to teenagers. Even if they just gave the land a Tatooine feel you could easily get another two rides; Devil's Canyon and Pod Racers. Plus the cantina and Watto's junk yard. They could build Jabba's palace and turn that into a theater. Just a few ideas off the top of my head.

MIL is a Disney Card holder. I've been secretly hoping she gets one of these in depth surveys because she knows absolutely nothing about Star Wars and butchers the names every time DS asks her to read one of his books.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress

Last edited by Twin Dad; 04-16-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Twin Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsig View Post
The most bored character at autograph time with no line???
that's gonna put Gepetto on the unemployment line...he'll be laid off due to "redundancy"

watch out, Governor Radcliff...you're next
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #20
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
I think a Star Wars Land has potential. It would be a good place to put more extreme rides that would appeal more to teenagers. Even if they just gave the land a Tatooine feel you could easily get another two rides; Devil's Canyon and Pod Racers. Plus the cantina and Watto's junk yard. They could build Jabba's palace and turn that into a theater. Just a few ideas off the top of my head.

MIL is a Disney Card holder. I've been secretly hoping she gets one of these in depth surveys because she knows absolutely nothing about Star Wars and butchers the names every time DS asks her to read one of his books.
That being the absolute WORST movie of the six...and one of the truly hideous pieces of garbage to ever be put on film (along with the vanilla ice movie and "Glitter")...why on earth would anyone spend one dollar of construction funds to recreate that?

I'd rather have the "Three's Company Jack "the ripper" Tripper Coaster" than any garbage from the lesser of the movies (and note...the first three star wars movies weren't Citizen Kane...but they had decent characters and stories and were cutting edge for the time...so it looks like arthouse cinema now in comparison)

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Old 04-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #21
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtinaDitty View Post
I've been when Star Tours was packed. I think it's a real hit-or-miss ride on whether it's crowded or not.

rarely...star tours is usually not more than 30 minutes...and that's when tower is north of an hour and rocknroller coaster is 90 minutes +

most times its 5-15 minutes

Old 04-17-2013, 05:23 AM   #22
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtinaDitty View Post

~I think I love the idea, too. And, I definitely prefer Star Wars land over a duplicate Carsland! I just struggle with the concept, but I admit, there is so much content that I am not familiar with. I've never watched Star Wars in it's entirety, so I'm just trying to conceptualize what little content I have seen into a theme park layout, and it just doesn't look pretty. I can only remember a desert landscape like the Grand Canyon and the tiny space ship. We have some very creative posters and Star Wars fans here, so I hope to see some concept art of how Star Wars land could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachlovestv View Post
On the other hand, the Star Tours at Disneyland is rarely walk-on these days. If you get there when park opens, you can usually get right on, but after that, the line is usually 30-90 minutes long. I'm not too worried about their overestimating the popularity of Star Wars, especially with new movies coming out.
~Okay, I'll place my doubts aside and take your word for it! Initially, I was very excited about the possibility of a Star Wars Land, but had some doubts when I tried to envision what it would look like. I still love the idea of Star Wars Land at DHS, so I will remain excited right along with you & CtinaDitty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
That being the absolute WORST movie of the six...and one of the truly hideous pieces of garbage to ever be put on film (along with the vanilla ice movie and "Glitter")...why on earth would anyone spend one dollar of construction funds to recreate that?

I'd rather have the "Three's Company Jack "the ripper" Tripper Coaster" than any garbage from the lesser of the movies (and note...the first three star wars movies weren't Citizen Kane...but they had decent characters and stories and were cutting edge for the time...so it looks like arthouse cinema now in comparison)
~LOL, lol. You are just too funny. I just have to add Gigli, Waterworld and all those Master P movies to your worst movies list, oh and those gross garbage pail kids.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

Yes, Episode I is easily the worst of the 6. I'm just saying you could use Tatooine as the back drop for Star Wars Land, considering it was featured in 4 of the 6 movies (Edit: 5 if you count the closing scene in Episode III). I seem to remember Cars and Cars 2 being two of the least critically received of the Pixar movies. Just because the movies were not as good as others doesn't mean features can't be used for successful attractions. The pod racers were on of the best past of the second trilogy. Unless you played Rogue Squadron, you never saw Devil's Canyon. It was a throwaway line in Episode IV. Those are all just ideas that came off the top of my head in less than five minutes. Give me a pen and paper and 14 hours to watch the saga (throw in a 2 liter of Mountain Dew too) and I can have a whole theme park sketched out.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205

Last edited by Twin Dad; 04-17-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #24
Karen Elaine
Earning My Ears

So we usually hit Star Tours between 9:00-9:30 a.m. and have found on our 2011 spring break trip and 2012 Nov/Dec trip that we could walk right on and not bother with a fp. My guess is that has more to do with more people using the morning hours to visit TSM than diminished popularity. However, what is a hot ticket is Jedi Training.
It really seems like a no brainer for Disney to do something significant in the parks with Star Wars since they now own the rights and peoples love of these movies have stood the test of time.
Karen Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #25
mvk
Mouseketeer

I, too, have a hard time visualizing what a Star Wars themed land would look like.

I think it would be relatively easy to convert Backlot Express into a Star Wars type restaurant, maybe like Mos Eisley Cantina. Maybe have an interactive show (think Turtle Talk w/ Crush) featuring some of the characters, or even, as posted somewhere here previously, have it at the Jedi Training Academy with Yoda.

I think the Pod Racers would make the requisite ride, to go along with Star Tours. So you have two rides, a restaurant, and the Jedi Training Academy, three of which are already there. Plus Tattoine Traders gift shop. What are some other attractions that could/would be included?

Maybe an Astro-Orbiter style ride with the new patent technology?
A dark ride through the Millenium Falcon or the Death Star?
mvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #26
ChrisnKim913
DIS Veteran

I agree that Tatooine would be a great backdrop for a Star Wars Land. I also love the idea of a dark ride through the Death Star. If done right this could be awesome. I would really like a Spider-Man type ride where you are flying an x-wing and attacking the Death Star while being chased by fighters. There are a lot of possibilities and will be fun to see what they eventually come up with wherever they plan on doing this.
ChrisnKim913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #27
Tlrhodes
Earning My Ears

Quote:
So we usually hit Star Tours between 9:00-9:30 a.m. and have found on our 2011 spring break trip and 2012 Nov/Dec trip that we could walk right on and not bother with a fp. My guess is that has more to do with more people using the morning hours to visit TSM than diminished popularity. However, what is a hot ticket is Jedi Training.
I have always been able to practically walk right on as well (kind of a pain because I love parts of the waiting area). Its always been my understanding that Star Tours has an enormous capacity and that is partly why there is rarely a line.
Tlrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #28
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks

A Tattoine land would be cool, but if it even hints of a ten year old Snaking yelling "yahooo!" I will not set foot in it.

Hoth/snowspeeder ride, Endorsement/speederbike ride, asteroid field ride, Jabbas palace, cloud city, Death Star bathrooms...
Old 04-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #29
darrius1st
Mouseketeer

With today's announcement is Star Wars Land a lock.
2006-Comfort Suites Universal-2008- Magical Memories-2009-Harbour Lake-2010-Bonnet Creek-Summer 2011-Bonnet Creek and Westgate Lakes-June 2012-Sheraton Vistana Villages-July 2013-The Fountains and Bonnet Creek
darrius1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #30
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrius1st View Post
With today's announcement is Star Wars Land a lock.
Its probably been set to Ludicrous Speed.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: