Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
ls3015
Mouseketeer

Disney Bus and the handicap

Just asking a Question Will this policy effect the Disney Bus

Disabled Will No Longer Skip Lines

People with disabilities will no longer go straight to the front of lines at Disneyland and Walt Disney World under a policy change park officials say is a response to growing abuse of the system.

What do you think about Disney's decision? Join the conversation on Facebook.com/NBCLA

Under the change, visitors with special needs will be issued tickets with a return time and a shorter wait similar to the FastPass system that's offered to everyone.

The current approach to accommodating disabled park-goers "certainly has been problematic, and we wanted to curb some of the abuse of this system," Disneyland Resort spokeswoman Suzi Brown told the Orange County Register.

"We have an unwavering commitment to making our parks accessible to all guests," Disneyland Resort spokeswoman Suzi Brown said in a statement. "Given the increasing volume of requests we receive for special access to our attractions, we are changing our process to create a more consistent experience for all our guests while providing accommodations for guests with disabilities."

The change takes effect Oct. 9 for guests with park-issued disability cards. Disney officials said more details will be released after park employees are briefed on the new rules.

Currently, visitors unable to wait in the regular line can get backdoor access to rides or go through the exit and wait in a shorter line.

Anne Hardstaff has a card because of her arthritic knee condition. She will need to use the new time reservation card, starting next month.

"I can't stand for a long time," said Hardstaff, of Australia, who visited the Anaheim, Calif. park Monday. "You can imagine the line. You wait 20, 30 minutes -- I can' do it."

Brown compared the change to making a reservation and boarding at the appointed time.

The move was in part a response to the phenomenon of disabled "tour guides" who charge money, sometimes hundreds of dollars, to accompany able-bodied guests and allow them to avoid long lines.

The park said others who don't have a disability have been able to get an assistance card since no proof of disability is required.

Some families of children with epilepsy and autism criticized the change, saying their kids' disabilities make it too hard for them to wait in standard lines.

Rebecca Goddard takes her sons, age 4 and 6, to Disneyland once a week. Her sons have autism and can't stand in lines longer than a few minutes before they start pushing other people.

"My boys don't have the cognition to understand why it's going to be a long wait," Goddard told the Register. "There are so few things for my boys that bring them utter joy and happiness - to mess with it just makes me sad."

The advocacy group, Autism Speaks, consulted with Disney officials on the change and urged parents to see how it unfolds. Brown called the program "in line with the rest of our industry."

"Change is difficult," said Matt Asner, executive director of the Southern California chapter. "I didn't want it to change, but I understand there was an issue that needed to be dealt with."

Last edited by ls3015; 10-08-2013 at 09:14 PM.
ls3015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Why are you hyphenating the word handicap? Trying to make some kind of point?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

People with disabilities have not had automatic FOTL access at the parks. Most attraction lines are "mainstreamed" and people with physical disabilities go through the regular line all or most of the way to Load.

The buses are under a different set of laws and Guest Safety is the primary reason, these procedures will not change.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
ls3015
Mouseketeer

deleted

Last edited by ls3015; 10-08-2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: delete
Old 10-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
ls3015
Mouseketeer

The New York Post

Disney bans line-skipping for disabled, blames abuse

ANAHEIM, Calif.  People with disabilities will no longer go straight to the front of lines at Disneyland and Walt Disney World after growing abuse of the system, park officials said.

Under the change, visitors will be issued tickets with a return time and a shorter wait similar to the FastPass system thats offered to everyone.

The current way certainly has been problematic, and we wanted to curb some of the abuse of this system, Disneyland Resort spokeswoman Suzi Brown told the Orange County Register.

The change takes effect Oct. 9 for guests with park-issued disability cards. Disney officials said more details will be released after park employees are briefed on the new rules.

Currently, visitors unable to wait in the regular line can get backdoor access to rides or go through the exit and wait in a shorter line.

Brown compared the change to making a reservation and boarding at the appointed time.

The move was a response to the phenomenon of disabled tour guides who charge money, sometimes hundreds of dollars, to accompany able-bodied guests and allow them to avoid long lines. The park said others who dont have a disability have been able to get an assistance card since no proof of disability is required.

In May, The Post learned of several wealthy Manhattan moms who used the black-market Disney guides. They charged $130 an hour, or $1,040 for an eight-hour day.

Its insider knowledge that very few have and share carefully, said social anthropologist Dr. Wednesday Martin, who caught wind of the underground network while doing research for her upcoming book Primates of Park Avenue.

The park said others who dont have a disability have been able to get an assistance card since no proof of disability is required.

Some families of children with epilepsy and autism criticized the change, saying some kids disabilities just dont allow them to wait in standard lines.

Given the increasing volume of requests we receive for special access to our attractions, we are changing our process to create a more consistent experience for all our guests while providing accommodations for guests with disabilities, Brown said in a statement.

Rebecca Goddard takes her sons, age 4 and 6, to Disneyland once a week. Her sons have autism and cant stand in lines longer than a few minutes before they start pushing other people.

My boys dont have the cognition to understand why its going to be a long wait, Goddard told the Register. There are so few things for my boys that bring them utter joy and happiness  to mess with it just makes me sad.

The advocacy group, Autism Speaks, consulted with Disney officials on the change and urged parents to see how it unfolds.

Change is difficult, said Matt Asner, executive director of the Southern California chapter. I didnt want it to change, but I understand there was an issue that needed to be dealt with.

Last edited by ls3015; 10-08-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3015 View Post
No I will have to disagree, I have seen myself were a disabled person and their party were taken right to the front of the line by coming in though the exit, there were Disabled people charging up to $150 per hour to take people in with them to jump lines, This is why Disney has now changed the policy.
Now for the bus safety, There have been many post on here about Disney Bus safety, Way to many differant oppions, I'm not going to get into it. It just is not right to make 3 people give up a seat so a disabled can park a ACV than take another seat a total of 4 on the bus. Why can't they wait for the next bus than be put on when noone is seated on the fold up seats.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...224810762.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-CHEATING.html

http://nypost.com/2013/09/24/disneyl...-blames-abuse/
First of all it is an ECV.
Second, on the buses, if you are not already at the bus stop and boarding has not started, the normal policy is to not load the ECV. When I ride the bus I take up 3 seats as I remain in my power wheelchair. This is due to the configuration of the bus and tie downs. My chair is small enough that it could fit in the space of 1 seat.
AS to FOTL, it rarely happens. I still have to wait for the proper vehicle.
People cheating, yes it happens. But I would rather that than the guests that used to crawl over and around my wheelchair putting themselves and me in potential danger when they hit my controller causing the chair to spin. Bad enough when I do it myself. You don't want 400 pounds running over your feet.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
KGK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
First of all it is an ECV.
Second, on the buses, if you are not already at the bus stop and boarding has not started, the normal policy is to not load the ECV. When I ride the bus I take up 3 seats as I remain in my power wheelchair. This is due to the configuration of the bus and tie downs. My chair is small enough that it could fit in the space of 1 seat.
AS to FOTL, it rarely happens. I still have to wait for the proper vehicle.
People cheating, yes it happens. But I would rather that than the guests that used to crawl over and around my wheelchair putting themselves and me in potential danger when they hit my controller causing the chair to spin. Bad enough when I do it myself. You don't want 400 pounds running over your feet.
Don't feed the troll.

KGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
ls3015
Mouseketeer

Deleted

Last edited by ls3015; 10-08-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Delete
Old 10-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

~I just don't get it. I've seen the disabled go right to the front of the line. I really don't see the need to deny or justify it. It does not bother me at all. I'm not sure why this would bother anyone? I have heard of drivers asking people to give up seats, but it's rare. And, so what. Who would find exception with this? I would offer my seat in a heartbeat!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
BabiesDaddy
Earning My Ears

This past week one of the bus drivers told some of the guests to move from the handicap section. Most of the bus drivers I ran into were accommodating to the handicap. I can't say the same for some of the guests riding on the bus.
BabiesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
With the Announcement from disney that the hand-i-cap will no longer be given 1st priority seating on the rides in the parks, they will have to wait until there party go's though the lines before they can get on, Will this continue onto the Disney bus'es, will a Wheel chair or ACV have to wait until there is an empty hand-i-cap seat Available. I have been on many bus'es, seen it and it has also happened to me, The bus was packed full, all seats where taken, plus some standing and a person comes on a acv, the driver made everyone on the hand-i-cap 3 seat get up and stand than let put the acv on, strapped it down, than let the person riding it, take a seat from a 4th person.
Will this now Change the Hand-i-cap policy.

Just asking
Those specific seats on the buses have words to the effect that if someone boards with a scooter or wheelchair and they need the spot, you will be told to move. You sit in them at your own risk.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #12
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Those specific seats on the buses have words to the effect that if someone boards with a scooter or wheelchair and they need the spot, you will be told to move. You sit in them at your own risk.
Yes, they are pretty well marked.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Quote:
Yes You are right, That is why I asked this question, Now that the policy in the parks have changed with the disabled not going to the front of the line, they have to wait their turn just like everyone else, No special treatment given, will that policy continue over to the Disney buses.
The reason people in ECVs or wheelchairs load first is there are not people in the aisles and maneuvering and tie-downs can be done safely.

And also, don't forget, that the people in the wheelchair or ECV are the last ones off the bus at its destination.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
PaulaVonSchweetz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN
Yes, they are pretty well marked.
Seriously. I have my own opinions which ill keep to myself but maybe people shouldnt sit in the handicapped seating...... I mean we dont park in Handicapped parking spots right?? Or maybe some people do.....
September 2009 - Caribbean Beach
December 2011 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
May 2012 - Bay Lake Towers
September 2012 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
December 2013 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
April 2014 - Bay Lake Towers
September 2014 - Boardwalk Villas - WOO HOO!!
April 2015 - TBD
PaulaVonSchweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
PrincessPaisley
DIS Veteran

Although contrary to what I believe to be the typical process, I have seen a handicap person passed by even though they were parked and waiting in the designated spot before the bus arrived. the bus was fairly full when it arrived, so that may have been a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaVonSchweetz View Post
Seriously. I have my own opinions which ill keep to myself but maybe people shouldnt sit in the handicapped seating...... I mean we dont park in Handicapped parking spots right?? Or maybe some people do.....
I believe most guests will choose to sit in an empty seat vs. standing regardless of whether it is right or wrong, or they may have to give up their seat to accommodate a handicap person later on.
PrincessPaisley is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: