Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which Resort (Best Bussing, Closest walking distance, nicest overall, kid-friendly)
Coronada Springs (we are booked here, but thinking of switching) 34 66.67%
Caribean Beach 10 19.61%
Pop Century (stayed here twice, but was thinking of a change) 6 11.76%
All Star Movies 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #16
Chipmunklove
Earning My Ears

My teenage daughter and I stayed at Coronado Springs last year during Spring Break. Bus waits were not a problem at all. Dining was AMAZING. Probably our favorite because of the quick service buffet. The room was quite large and I believe it is the only moderate with queen size beds. Walking around the resort didn't take long at all. We loved it and couldn't give you a single negative. I have stayed at Port Orleans as well. I prefer Coronado.
I would tell your husband not to read the reviews. People tend to report the negative way more than the positive. And everyone is different in what they find acceptable.

Chipmunklove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #17
Robbi
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at CSR numerous times and never had long waits for buses. The walks are not bad and so beautiful! I would request Cabanas 8A or 8B because they're close to both the Dig Site pool and the shortcut bridge to EL Centro.

There are tons of bad reviews about every resort. In the past month, there were reports of lots of roaches at one, bed bugs at another, long waits, poor service, etc. Look at the resort pictures and go with your heart. It's the best way for us to decide. When we haven't done this, we second guess ourselves during the trip. All the resorts either deluxe, mod, or value are not perfect. Go to your resort with a positive attitude and all will be fine.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #18
Orreed
Olivia

CBR is a great resort! You can ask for a room close to the food court, and they will try to grant it. The location is nice, very close to EPOCT and Hollywood Studios. You can see and hear fireworks at night The grounds were lovely and the food court had a great variety and was never too crowded when I went. There was cheerleaders but they were in a different village and never bothered us and never were in huge masses at the food court. We never waited long for a bus and the theming is lovely.
Orreed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #19
mara61
Mouseketeer

I just realized, because of the time of year you are going I think your wait for anything will be longer and dining will be busier. But planning the right resort that works best for your family will help.

Between the two polls you have posted, POFQ is the most popular choice.
mara61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #20
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

Coronado Springs is a lovely resort---the rooms and bedding were wonderful and the resort feels very deluxe...that trip was just my husband and I, and were in Casitas 3 and loved it...however if we were at the far end of the resort I'm not sure I would have liked it quite as much as this resort is huge and very spread out around a lake. We didnt ride the buses so can't comment. I found the quick serve food place to be crowded and congested in the morning, and all we did was get coffee in our refillable mugs.

For our stay this year we are at POFQ as we are traveling with two familes with young children and think the size will be better suited for us. We will be riding the buses and using the boat to Downtown Disney which to us is a plus to POFQ and POR. We didn't consider CBR as double beds are too small, and reviews said that resort was huge as well.

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiegirl View Post
there is only a difference in 40 bucks over the 8 days, so not an issue between CSR and POFQ.
Quote:
We are booked for Coronado Springs, however, my husband just spent the last hour reading online reviews and they are quite terrible. While there were many things that are concerning (ie., dingy rooms, small eating areas, very far walk to main building) the main concerning point is the buses. Long waits and not enough (many times reading about the 75 minute wait times). Anyway, now I think we will switch over to Caribbean Beach. How does this one fare in everyone's opinion here. I do realize we go down to smaller beds in the rooms, but I am more interested in the walk to buses, the distance to main building, and if wait times are as horrible as I am thinking the CSR is. I really need suggestions of what to do. The PORiverside and French Quarter are higher in price for our dates, so that's why I am ruling those out. I am also considering going back to a value resort. Oh what to do?????
In your other poll thread started today you said that the $40 difference between POFQ and CSR was not an issue. But in this poll you say that the difference was enough to rule it out??????????????????? As many other PPs have mentioned, on both threads, if you want to minimize walking at the resort, POFQ is the smallest resort onsite.

The wait for buses has nothing to do with what resort you are at and everything to do with resort occupancy levels, hour of the day, demand for buses to particular parks and the whim of the central dispatch center that controls the buses. In other words (amongst the resorts you are looking at) none has an advantage over another. And lets face it- you are planning to go to WDW during the hottest and (one of the) busiest times of the year. No matter what, you WILL be spending considerable time waiting in the heat either at a bus stop or queue at the resorts and parks. You are also going to be spending most of your park days walking from place to place. If you have a problem walking at your resort, how are you going to manage walking in the parks?

Ask your DH to stop reading reviews. Let me guess- he was on TripAdvisor? It takes a very large grain of salt and a certain degree of discernment to get a clear picture of a place from that site. Especially when dealing with WDW resorts. I never rely on that site for WDW info, although I do for other locations. Instead, have him read the reviews either here or on one of the other WDW fan sites. Just because we're fans of WDW doesn't mean we can't give a critical review when it's called for. But WDW vets may have an advantage in knowing the ins and outs of the resorts better.

I think this is the 16th or 17th thread that you have posted since February about accommodations for this trip. I hope you will be able to come to a final resolution soon. Something tells me that you are over thinking this.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #22
dminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
In your other poll thread started today you said that the $40 difference between POFQ and CSR was not an issue. But in this poll you say that the difference was enough to rule it out??????????????????? As many other PPs have mentioned, on both threads, if you want to minimize walking at the resort, POFQ is the smallest resort onsite.

The wait for buses has nothing to do with what resort you are at and everything to do with resort occupancy levels, hour of the day, demand for buses to particular parks and the whim of the central dispatch center that controls the buses. In other words (amongst the resorts you are looking at) none has an advantage over another. And lets face it- you are planning to go to WDW during the hottest and (one of the) busiest times of the year. No matter what, you WILL be spending considerable time waiting in the heat either at a bus stop or queue at the resorts and parks. You are also going to be spending most of your park days walking from place to place. If you have a problem walking at your resort, how are you going to manage walking in the parks?

Ask your DH to stop reading reviews. Let me guess- he was on TripAdvisor? It takes a very large grain of salt and a certain degree of discernment to get a clear picture of a place from that site. Especially when dealing with WDW resorts. I never rely on that site for WDW info, although I do for other locations. Instead, have him read the reviews either here or on one of the other WDW fan sites. Just because we're fans of WDW doesn't mean we can't give a critical review when it's called for. But WDW vets may have an advantage in knowing the ins and outs of the resorts better.

I think this is the 16th or 17th thread that you have posted since February about accommodations for this trip. I hope you will be able to come to a final resolution soon. Something tells me that you are over thinking this.
to all the points in this reply.

If you catch yourself over thinking where to stay, just remember you're not BUYING the place. It's just a home away from home for a few days. Relax and have fun!
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #23
Indy Denise
Mouseketeer

I also agree that you are "over thinking " it.

There will be great reviews, bad reviews, so so reviews of any place. You could have a great stay in CSR and revisit the same resort next year and your experience could vary. Your experience WILL vary from the guest next door to you..and the one in the next building over.

What is important to you? If you want to have the shortest walk from a bus/foor court/pool to your room then book POFQ..or book a perferred room location elsewhere and pay the price.

Personally I would love to try CSR but am staying in POR because originally I was booked 5 in one room. Then when the summer sale came out we added another room and I looked into CSR but rest of our group vetoed it. They wanted the boat to DTD ( can't say I blame them ).

I hope you are happy with whatever you decide to to ..this is Disney after all and it shouldn't be this stressful to have fun.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #24
ginnygi
Mouseketeer

Our experience

The bus service was the best part of CS. First of all, CS is the most centrally located hotel on Disney property. The bus rides from hotel to parks were the shortest we ever experiences. I have stayed at POR and CBR. As for the long walk to main building, that is the same for ALL the moderate resorts. They are all built basically the same way and are all spread out, except PFQ, which is smaller than the other moderates. We just stayed at CSR in Feb/March. The rooms were very nice and perfectly clean. (we had two rooms) The only complaint I have about CS is the food court. It did kind of suck a little, but that is not the most important factor in our vacation. We were a little annoyed with the waits we experienced in Pepper Market, but nothing more extreme than a mild annoyance. Manageable, you know? BTW, the hotel pool was super awesome. We would not hesitate to stay there again. Although we may want to stay somewhere else just to experience something different, there was nothing that turned us off the hotel.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #25
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I would not switch CSR for CBR. No way! CBR is much much larger, and has 3 more internal bus stops than CSR. Plus smaller beds. Plus CBR has yet to be redone, and CSR has been. Between those 2 resorts, you should stick with CSR. To me, it isn't even a hard decision.

I actually found the bus service at CSR to be better than that at CBR. But that mostly has to do with luck. Each resort can have bad or good service. However CSR does have an edge as many people staying there are going to conventions during the day. That means fewer people on the buses at CSR.

I agree though, you are waaaaay over-analyzing. Stop! Which resort appeals TO YOU? Stop reading on-line reviews. Which resort do YOU like? No Disney resort is horrible. You will be fine wherever you stay. Pick based on your likes. And stop reading reviews.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #26
paintnolish
You'd think a sniff in the general vicinity would be sufficient
I mean, how much more can a dead guy do?!?
I'm meh about "meh."

CSR is our home away from home! Just booked our June trip. When I gave the kids the option of staying at AKL or WL, they still chose CSR! We've stayed all over the resort, with Cabanas being our favorite section and Ranchos being our least favorite. The busses at the mods are far superior to the values, too.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post34722197
DH Me DS (13) DD (12) Baby DS (1)
paintnolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #27
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran

CSR is a big step above the others listed in my personal opinion, and I don't think it's close.
cjsm&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #28
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
We are booked for Coronado Springs, however, my husband just spent the last hour reading online reviews and they are quite terrible. While there were many things that are concerning (ie., dingy rooms, small eating areas, very far walk to main building) the main concerning point is the buses. Long waits and not enough (many times reading about the 75 minute wait times). Anyway, now I think we will switch over to Caribbean Beach. How does this one fare in everyone's opinion here. I do realize we go down to smaller beds in the rooms, but I am more interested in the walk to buses, the distance to main building, and if wait times are as horrible as I am thinking the CSR is. I really need suggestions of what to do. The PORiverside and French Quarter are higher in price for our dates, so that's why I am ruling those out. I am also considering going back to a value resort. Oh what to do?????
You are going to see a lot of negative reviews for any resort at WDW!! It's a fact of life. I have friends that didn't stay anywhere other than CSR!!! They loved it there and always had good experiences. Now they own DVC and are sad that they don't get to stay at CSR.
Every single resort is going to have long bus waits for your time period. And a wait of 75 mins at any resort is far from normal!!! There can be long walks at any moderate resort other than possibly POFQ!!! They are large spread out resorts.
I would recommend staying with what you have. If you can find a good rate at a value, then fine, go for it. But you need to realize that no matter where you are, June 25-July 3 is a busy time at WDW and there will be longer than normal waits for buses everywhere!!!!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #29
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Take the reviews with a grain of salt! Mostly its unhappy people that post reviews. The people that didn't have any problems and had a great stay rarely post a review.
Glitches can happen at any resort, at any level. We've had many stays at different WDW resorts, and I can tell you that in my experience 99% of the time the WDW transportation works well. At any resort.

My first WDW resort stay was CBR, and it had terrible reviews from mouldy rooms, to dirty rooms with horrible housekeeping. Nothing could have been further from the truth. Our room was very clean, no musty bad smells, and our housekeeper was wonderful. I no longer read reviews for WDW resorts.

I would do your research, look at the CSR map, and make a room request with what area or building you'd like to be in, and phone reservations to have it attached to your res.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #30
MrsBoyer428
Mouseketeer

I can't speak for the other resorts, but DH and I stayed at CBR for our honeymoon last year and loved it. We were in Jamaica, which was right across the lake from the food court and main pool. All it took was a walk over the bridge and through the tropical woods and to the food court we go. Disney will charge you an upgrade fee if you want to be what they consider to be "close" to these places, so I'd request to be in Jamaica that way you're still close, but don't have to pay more for it.

The room was clean, the staff was amazing (Duh, it's Disney, the staff is always amazing) and we got to see lizards and turtles and all sorts of little animal friends on our walks from our room to the "mainland"

Some posters have complained about the bus system in the fact that at CBR you have to stop at every "island." While this is true, I think it works out better because you have multiple stops at ONE resort, as opposed to having to go to multiple resorts. That's JMO though.

It's really up to you. Unless every single review is terrible, I usually take them with a grain of salt. Go with your gut.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: