Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #196
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Canadian View Post
That's kind of a generalized statement, don't you think? People need to understand that smoking is allowed on the verandahs. If you don't like it, complain to DCL and don't book a verandah until the rules are changed or take the chance of possibly having your verandah "ruined" by smokers next door.

The attack on smokers needs to stop on here, it is getting really old. I think that they get enough flack so if they are following the rules, leave them alone. Do you (as in the collective you) complain to everyone driving a Hummer or other gas guzzling, heavy polluting vehicle?

There are several people that are perfectly ok with others breaking other rules but are hard on smokers for following the rules. I don't get it.

As for everyone saying they have the right to breath clean air, there aren't many places on the planet that can happen anymore, unfortunately.

In summary, the one thing I would change is for everyone to be a little less judgmental, roll with the punches and just enjoy their vacation!

Very well said! All of it and especially the last line.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #197
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
As I mentioned, it is just my own personal observation. Some of us chose to be more conservative, which is a personal individual choice and I realize that that can occasionally become offended with instances that wouldn't typically bother others. (To give you a frame of reference, we personally choose not to participate in activities associated with Halloween either, which is in the same kind of category.) Again, it is just our own personal observation and we do not hold our own standard to everyone else, but since the forum asked us one thing I (not everyone) would change about it, that is why I made my comments.

The reason I said that it alienates 'a lot' is because when we mentioned it to one of the entertainment staff, he said that they actually do hear that quite a bit, but Disney does not plan to change it anytime soon. They do get a lot of 'Bible Belt'ers who may find it uncomfortable. A friend of mine who was on the Dream a few months ago left the show as well. Btw, we were the youngest in our group...at 31! So no, this is not a kid thing.

It isn't a really long segment, *for those requesting more details* but it is a deliberate attempt to begin the show in the Underworld or hell in the Greek mythology. They show ghostly white dancers (sorta undead zombiesc I guess you could say) and it definitely is a tribute to what some might deem wicked spirits.

It is a bit of a shame for me, as I mentioned, the actual tone of the show is very tongue in cheek and is more like "woe is the villain, no one ever likes us and we work hard" that kinda funny thing. They encourage the audience to cheer when the villain comes on the stage. That didn't really bother me. There was even a funny 'cat' fight with a few lady villains over the attention of Hades. It didn't even really feature magic or sorcery (which I again from a personal stand point was happy about). It just started with the ghost undead zombie dancers and I was about thisclose to giving up when they finally moved on.

That and the tram not being signaled that people were still getting on were our only downsides to the entire trip. That's a pretty stinkin' successful trip!

That is all!
You explain this well. We love all our WDW vacations despite the handful of things that offend our convictions. I won't start threads on them or go on rants, but you answered the question honestly and kindly.
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #198
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
And now for my complaint or one thing I would change. Some of you out there may not agree, and that is fine. For my own personal feelings, the Underworld section of the Villains show could definitely skeedattle. It gives the total wrong impression of a hilarious show. My parents plain walked out of it. We decided to stick it out and see and thankfully as soon as the Underworld sequence changed, the whole tone of the show did too. It became slapstick one liners and a villain who wasn't even a bad guy. Our Hades was literally one of the funniest actors I've ever watched live, like ever. Unfortunately, Disney alienates a lot of their audience by deliberately going the dead souls creepy factor. The rest of the show features bits from Lion King, Cruella again, a jazzy Ursela with Rockettes style dancers, and a hilarious take on a jerry springer talk show between Iago and Jafar that turns into the most surreal funny cheesey song and dance number, but it works cuz its so whack. So anyway, kudos for amazing entertainment. Well, "Believe" was just OK. I mean JUST. I probably enjoyed the opening light flying around as a real world tinkerbell than anything in the show. (With the exception of Pocahontas!!! WOOHOO!!!) However, the amazing show that sealed the deal was the Golden Mickeys the first night. Spectacular! Our singers/actors were even better than the prerecorded one you can watch in your room!

Totally agree. This is the worst Disney show ever! We go to movies to cheer for the good guys and the bad guys are intentioanally made to be unlikeable. They are intentialy exaggeratedly (if that is a word) ugly and mean.....evil. And last I checked, "evil" was BAD. I think every time I've see this show I have seen people walk out. I supposed Disney spent a ton of money on the development of the script and the costumes and reshersals so I doubt it will be scrapped. This show did not even have any recognizable songs that you could hum along with! What fun is that?!
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #199
m&mfamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post

I am sorry you took it that way. I meant it as playful teasing. I know what the focus of my honeymoon was so the idea that not being able to use the verandah would ruin the honeymoon just struck me a funny.
Understood
m&mfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #200
George69
Mouseketeer

Umm, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciraulo887 View Post
I have a lot of respect for teachers. But, I have one question... Have you ever had to go to work on Christmas morning? I would love to spend every holiday with my family. We all have to take the good with the bad.

Disney should definitely give discounts to non florida residents. With the cost of airfare it's pricing so many people out of a great vacation.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #201
TamieH
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarasc View Post
Discounts for EMS/Firefighters/Police - and expand the Military Discount to include any military that served during a war or conflict - but not retired, this is the policy that RCL and Carnival offer and DCL should as well.....IMHO.
I agree! This would be a nice benefit. I see they are offering Military discounts again. Law enforcement would be great!
TamieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #202
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Not a single thing. Well, like everyone else I suppose I would like a discount that applies specifically to me (SAHM/blogger/photographer/surrogate mothers should get a 95% discount!) and it would be nice if they started sailing out of Minnesota bit other than that, nothing.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:29 AM   #203
DisneyDreamer2504
DIS Veteran

I wish the ships would leave a little later in the day, so that we wouldn't have to be off the ship so early. I know this isn't realistic and prob impossible for a number of reasons, but I hate having to get up so early that last morning. I prefer sleeping in on vacation, even if its over anyway. Plus, it kind of feels like the trip is over around mid afternoon the last full day. You have get cleaned up for dinner, have dinner, pack and put luggage out (if using dcl transfers of course) and you can't stay out or up late bc you have to be up so early. Don't get me wrong, I can be a fully functional adult no matter what time I get up and regardless of how little sleep, it's just that I don't want to.

Sept '10 - Wonder
Sept '11 - WDW Caribbean Beach/Dream - Honeymoon!
May '12 - AKV
Sept '13 - SSR/FANTASY
DisneyDreamer2504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #204
jimsubry
Mouseketeer

Was on the Fantasy. I'd say more or larger kid pools! They were so ridiculously crowded! Who planned that??? My son, who loves pools, didn't even want to stay in them that long. Then, when I was exploring over at the adult pool, I saw that it was larger, and nice and quiet with barely anyone there! Don't know about the teen pool areas, didn't see those.

My husband had a complaint about there being nothing geared toward the 50 and up crowd. Seems like once you're 18, you're lumped in with ALL adults. He said he had no interest in hanging out with a bunch of 18 year olds dancing in the clubs and would have liked some kind of club just for the baby boomer set, to sit around and talk about, oh who knows, records and 8-tracks or something like that, ha ha.
jimsubry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #205
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer2504 View Post
I wish the ships would leave a little later in the day, so that we wouldn't have to be off the ship so early. I know this isn't realistic and prob impossible for a number of reasons, but I hate having to get up so early that last morning. I prefer sleeping in on vacation, even if its over anyway. Plus, it kind of feels like the trip is over around mid afternoon the last full day. You have get cleaned up for dinner, have dinner, pack and put luggage out (if using dcl transfers of course) and you can't stay out or up late bc you have to be up so early. Don't get me wrong, I can be a fully functional adult no matter what time I get up and regardless of how little sleep, it's just that I don't want to.

Not really possible I guess, but I agree 100%. Having to be off the ship so early on that last morning is probably the #1 thing I dislike about cruising. It's such a sad sight to see all those suitcases out in the hallway on the last night. I would gladly trade 3 or 4 hours on embarkation day and not board until mid-to-late afternoon in order to not have to get off so early and be able to get off around Noon or so.

Last edited by mcd2745; 09-03-2013 at 03:49 PM.
mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #206
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
Not really possible I guess, but I agree 100%. Having to be off the ship so early on that last morning is probably the #1 thing I dislike about cruising. It's such a sad sight to see all those suitcases out in the hallway on the last night. I would gladly trade 3 or 4 hours on embarkation day and not board until mid-to-late afternoon in order to not have to get off so early and be able to get off around Noon or so.
On the other hand, you have all those cruisers wanting to get on the ship as early as possible, who want to be on there by 9:00, if they could.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #207
calebspeaks
Origami Disney Master

I'd make it free.
calebspeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #208
ludari
DIS Veteran

Eliminate the extra percentage/fee (single supplement) that a solo traveller has to pay. I understand that the more people on the ship the more money DCL will make but as a solo traveller I feel like I am being penalized for travelling alone.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #209
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludari View Post
Eliminate the extra percentage/fee (single supplement) that a solo traveller has to pay. I understand that the more people on the ship the more money DCL will make but as a solo traveller I feel like I am being penalized for travelling alone.
Amen!

Jill in CO
Old 09-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #210
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
On the other hand, you have all those cruisers wanting to get on the ship as early as possible, who want to be on there by 9:00, if they could.

Screw 'em. Make them wait!

Everyone would have their preferences, I know. And I'm probably in the minority, but mine would be whatever would allow for a not-so-hectic final morning. We usually fly down the day before the cruise starts and stay in a hotel anyway. So a later boarding would allow for a more relaxed embarkation day as well IMO - sleep later, have a nice breakfast, maybe relax by the pool a little and then head to the ship. It's a win-win all around and you really do not give up any time on the ship at all.

mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: