Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #31
west&east
DIS Veteran

I was wondering how you got in touch with the concierge on the classic ships. It sounds like they come to your cabin? Can you reach them by phone?
On the fantasy, they were always in the concierge lounge unless they were out running an errand or if it was slow one of them might take a break. But it was easy to go to the lounge for all our requests.

Here's another example I didn't mention earlier. On day three or four we realized another wave phone would come in handy. I went to the concierge lounge and Kamisha whipped out another one from the desk, had me sign a form, and I was on my way in minutes. No charge for it either.

My Path Unwinding Blog: Traveling Through Life Disney Style

Twitter: @kksnc

AKL CL January 2009; WL CL December 2009; Beach Club CL Lagoon View December 2010;
Disney Cruise Line Magic Mediterranean Cruise August 2011; Beach Club CL Deluxe December 2011; Beach Club Food and Wine Birthday trip October 2012; Beach Club CL January 2013; Disney Fantasy Easter Cruise 2013 Concierge Cat V; Boardwalk Inn Club Level/ Waldorf Astoria June 2013; F& W October 2013; Beach Club CL New Years Eve! Fantasy April 12, 2014

Next Up: Adventures by Disney: Central Europe! July 2014!!! Disney Fantasy (Eastern) April 4, 2015
west&east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #32
princessmommyx3
Mouseketeer

On the Magic, Danny gave us a phone number to reach him. I think he answered every time we called except once, and we left a message and he called back minutes later. He also came to our room to check on us several times a day. We were not in our room very often, so I was very impressed that he managed to catch us coming or going at least twice a day. Almost like he was hiding around the corner waiting or something! I'm sure he wasn't - I think he was just so attentive that he managed to figure out our typical schedule and which activities we were most likely to be attending, thus, when we may or may not be in the room.
princessmommyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #33
Doingitagain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by west&east View Post
I was wondering how you got in touch with the concierge on the classic ships. It sounds like they come to your cabin? Can you reach them by phone?
On the fantasy, they were always in the concierge lounge unless they were out running an errand or if it was slow one of them might take a break. But it was easy to go to the lounge for all our requests.

Here's another example I didn't mention earlier. On day three or four we realized another wave phone would come in handy. I went to the concierge lounge and Kamisha whipped out another one from the desk, had me sign a form, and I was on my way in minutes. No charge for it either.
There is a button for concierge on the desk phone, and the wave phones are pre-programmed for concierge. Plus they stopped by the room each day. If none of that works, you can call guest services and leave a message for Concierge.
Aulani 3/2013
Saratoga 6/2006, 10/2008, 7/2009, 12/2009, 12/2014
AK Jambo 3/2012, 7/2014
Boardwalk 12/2014
Royal Garden London 7/2007, 7/2010
Mandarin Oriental Wash DC 4/2007
Grand Calif 7/2005
Doingitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #34
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommyx3 View Post
May I ask who was your concierge host was? We had Danny and although we were novices, he filled us in on all of the available perks.

Our favorite concierge perks on the Magic were:

Being able to book excursions/Palo/cabana at 120 days
early boarding
100 minutes of free wifi
eating a hot breakfast in our room every morning
priority tendering
room service for breakfast on the last morning
robes in the room, even for the kids
concierge reception (got to meet Mickey w/o waiting in line)

And, of course the huge room w/ 2 bathrooms, 2 TVs, jacuzzi tub & walk-in closet.
We had Angeline. She was very nice and accommodating when we saw her. We just did not see her that much. Every time I called the concierge number I got a machine. I did leave a message after trying a few times and she did eventually get back to us.

No one ever told us about Shutters. I waited in line for a LONG time to get our photos. It isn't a huge deal but I guess it would have been nice to know about beforehand.

I just called shoreside concierge today because my son left his lovey in the room and has been crying all day. (I didn't see him take it out of his bag before we left). They were really nice and I do like having a direct number to someone like that. It is a great benefit to the concierge. Glen gave me a number in Florida to call for lost and found. I hope I can get it back.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #35
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
We just got off the Magic yesterday and had the two bedroom suite. I am surprised reading all the perks on here. I stood in line 3 times at GS to do things (like add a GC to our account/ fix a billing error/ and to get my concierge tip added to our bill). For us, the main perk was the room and early boarding. We did have 2 concierge receptions which were very nice. Both had a good section of food. Food that was FAR better then the food served in the MDR. (The food on the cruise as a whole was a major disappointment to us so it was nice to see different things at the reception).

I didn't ask concierge for much. I made my own Palo reservations, my own shore excursions. I thought having concierge was nice, but honestly if I do it again it is only for the room. Having our family of 6 in one large room was the best benefit. I would never do it on the bigger ships because I don't find the benefit of having concierge to be that great if I can't get my family into one room.

We are sailing next August on the Wonder in two cat 4e rooms. I suppose it will be interesting to see the difference. But it sounds like we really didn't take advantage of all that concierge has to offer so I am thinking we won't see much of a difference except with the room. Of course, no one ever sat down and told us that they could do all these things for us, so I guess I had no way of knowing. I will say they did send small treats every day. Like a cheese plate, some deserts and some arcade cards for the kids. That was mostly it though. And to be honest, I wish that they just gave us more soap and shampoo everyday. We ran out and had to ask 2 times. I would have preferred that over the cheese plate.
Did you not go to the concierge meet up upon boarding the ship the first day? You should have been given an envelope in the terminal telling you about it. When you go there you would have met with your concierge and they would have gone over everything they will do for you during your cruise.

For the soap and shampoo, did you mention to your stateroom host that you would need more each day? We have always told our's that we would like that replenished each day and they have always done it for us.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #36
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
Did you not go to the concierge meet up upon boarding the ship the first day? You should have been given an envelope in the terminal telling you about it. When you go there you would have met with your concierge and they would have gone over everything they will do for you during your cruise.

For the soap and shampoo, did you mention to your stateroom host that you would need more each day? We have always told our's that we would like that replenished each day and they have always done it for us.
Yes we went to the meet the first day. They actually lead us there as soon as we got on the ship. We did not get anything at the terminal. We got a folder that had our activities listed at the meet though. I read everything they gave us. Nothing mentioned them doing the things that have been listed on here. It is probably our fault for not knowing so I am not trying to knock it. I just honestly did not know. I knew a few things from the boards, like that I could order breakfast to the room on the last day but not one single person on the ship told us that. There was never a list of things given to us that they do/ or that could be done. She did give us a list of movies we could rent. We didn't do that though. She also gave us internet information but we didn't use the internet either. Maybe they just assume people know before getting on board. This was our first cruise, so we were newbies on everything. I felt like we were winging it most of the time. Like we had to guess what we were supposed to be doing. Thank God I was on the Disboards for the last 4 months because otherwise, I would have not known a thing.

Last edited by wallawallakids; 04-21-2013 at 08:12 PM.
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #37
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Yes we went to the meet the first day. They actually lead us there as soon as we got on the ship. We did not get anything at the terminal. We got a folder that had our activities listed at the meet though. I read everything they gave us. Nothing mentioned them doing the things that have been listed on here. It is probably our fault for not knowing so I am not trying to knock it. I just honestly did not know. I knew a few things from the boards, like that I could order breakfast to the room on the last day but not one single person on the ship told us that. There was never a list of things given to us that they do/ or that could be done. She did give us a list of movies we could rent. We didn't do that though. She also gave us internet information but we didn't use the internet either. Maybe they just assume people know before getting on board. This was our first cruise, so we were newbies on everything. I felt like we were winging it most of the time. Like we had to guess what we were supposed to be doing. Thank God I was on the Disboards for the last 4 months because other wise, I would have not known a thing.
Your concierge host really dropped the ball in not telling you what they will do for you on the ship. IT's not your fault for not knowing, it's their responsibility to tell you. We've sailed concierge a couple of times on the classic ships and each time they've told us what they can do for us even when we told them we've sailed concierge before.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #38
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
It might be different with the Dream/Fantasy vs Wonder/Magic, but when we were on the Dream during the first meeting with the concierge people, they told us that they would take it as a personal affront if they saw us at Guest Services during the stay. That we were to bring anything to them so they could take care of it for us.

I was going to say that maybe that doesn't happen on the Magic/Wonder, but two people on the first page of this thread indicated that it seems to be the same thing on those ships.

It's too bad you guys weren't given the info. Also on the Dream at least, when the tip stuff was left in our room, they also gave us an envelope and form to fill out for the concierge tip. Maybe that's a difference, too.

But yep, with you having a family that doesn't fit in the concierge rooms on the Dream/Fantasy, I'd stick with the other ships, too!
We upgraded in Sept at the Port on The Magic for the last Canadian cruise, and Jenn was our concierge. She said to me that I am your private guest services. I was so not used to this type of service that she and my DH conspired to make me call her to do things! LOL... It was nice to be pampered that way.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #39
pudinhd
DIS Veteran

We just had our first DCL concierge experience on the Wonder last month... We have already upgraded to concierge for our first cruise on the Fantasy next year.

We have requested a private table at dinner and there is a specific rotation I would like to request. Would you suggest requesting a specific place to sit in any of the dining rooms? I know the classic ships well, but don't know what to expect on the Fantasy.

Also, I have read that it's better to only put in 1 dining request because if you have more than one DCL won't know what is more important and you might not get either. Does that apply with concierge?

Thank you!!!
Too Many Trips to Disneyland to Count, 1999 WDW Honeymoon, 2005 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2008 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2008 WDW Vacation, 2009 Backstage Magic ABD, 2011 Disney Cruise to Neverland, 2011 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2012 Alaskan Disney Cruise, 2013 Repo LA to Vancouver Disney Cruise, 2014 Western Caribbean Disney Cruise, 2014 Backstage Magic ABD
pudinhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #40
KYDIZFAN
Mouseketeer

One of the best perks is getting what-ever dinner seating you want even if you are wait-listed. Have done concierge on both "classic" ships and the Fantasy. The lounge was not that big a deal for us. We like the classic ships check on you and respond to calls. Once my niece left her camera on a Disney Tour bus in Norway, and our Concierge Host got it back for us! We are kinda spoiled now. We did the Royal Suite once, we didn't think it was worth the cost vs. regular concierge.

Last edited by KYDIZFAN; 06-19-2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: left out word
KYDIZFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #41
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2william View Post
Agreed! We stayed concierge on the dream last year and we are going again on the 28th. Wouldn't stay any other way. It is well worth every penny!!!!
I have to fully agree, we cruised in concierge on the Dream last October & January and loved it. We just got off the Fantasy last Saturday, not concierge, we Really missed it. Good news we've already booked concierge for this year's NYE cruise. If you can swing it, it's worth the extra $$$$,
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #42
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
Your concierge host really dropped the ball in not telling you what they will do for you on the ship. IT's not your fault for not knowing, it's their responsibility to tell you. We've sailed concierge a couple of times on the classic ships and each time they've told us what they can do for us even when we told them we've sailed concierge before.
I agree that the concierge host in this case REALLY dropped the ball!!

Our very first cruise was concierge, prior to discovering DIS, and we were completely clueless. We knew nothing, I mean nothing. We had not pre booked a single thing. Our host on that first day explained everything and hooked us up with all kinds of stuff: excursions, adult dining, spa treatments ...
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #43
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
We had Angeline. She was very nice and accommodating when we saw her. We just did not see her that much. Every time I called the concierge number I got a machine. I did leave a message after trying a few times and she did eventually get back to us.

No one ever told us about Shutters. I waited in line for a LONG time to get our photos. It isn't a huge deal but I guess it would have been nice to know about beforehand.

I just called shoreside concierge today because my son left his lovey in the room and has been crying all day. (I didn't see him take it out of his bag before we left). They were really nice and I do like having a direct number to someone like that. It is a great benefit to the concierge. Glen gave me a number in Florida to call for lost and found. I hope I can get it back.
I'm sorry you had that experience with Angeline. We had her last September on the Fantasy while she was training with Kemisha and Julie. She was also our concierge on the our recent Magic EBTA. She was fabulous, very accommodating and we saw her daily even though we were rarely in our suite. I thought I would miss the concierge lounge but she was so accessible, I didn't miss it at all.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #44
ddixon1
Mouseketeer

Well I've got to chime in.
After reading about some of the concierge "perks" on this board, I realized that I should have received a lithograph for our Cat V Dream cruise this past January.
So I emailed shoreside concierge. They were so sweet and amazing.
They confirmed our sailing, contacted the concierge team on the ship, and -- guess what?
I just opened the gorgeous lithograph that was sent via Fed X.
They know how to take care of you. We will only sail concierge, at least on the larger ships.
Now, if only they'd send that wonderful coffee machine, or one of those sublime loungers?????
Disney Half Marathon (POR), January 2000; Explorer of the Seas, July 2009; Oasis of the Seas, May 2011; Magic 2-night getaway from NYC, July 2012; Magic 5-night Canadian from NYC, August 2012; Animal Kingdom Lodge, January 2013; Dream 4-night to Bahamas, January 2013; Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo Studio), August 2013, December 2013
ddixon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #45
gomagic
Go Bucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddixon1 View Post
Well I've got to chime in.
After reading about some of the concierge "perks" on this board, I realized that I should have received a lithograph for our Cat V Dream cruise this past January.
So I emailed shoreside concierge. They were so sweet and amazing.
They confirmed our sailing, contacted the concierge team on the ship, and -- guess what?
I just opened the gorgeous lithograph that was sent via Fed X.
They know how to take care of you. We will only sail concierge, at least on the larger ships.
Now, if only they'd send that wonderful coffee machine, or one of those sublime loungers?????
If you don't mind me asking, which lithograph did they send you?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: