Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #1
Belle2007
Mouseketeer

Tell me what you love about the Polynesian?!?

We are celebrating our 10th year wedding anniversary this year and I want to go deluxe!

I've always loved the Polynesian.... (looking at it from across the bay. I was there once when I was 12, now I'm 40 and we don't have kids). I'm interested in your opinions... did you love it? Which longhouse did you love?

Our favorite resort is the POFQ; we've also done value before.... just interested in this deluxe though and I want to do something special for our anniversary.... We are also doing a four day disney cruise so this will be after our cruise.

Thanks!

POFQ 2007; Disney Cruise "Magic" 2009; Disney Cruise "Wonder" 2009; POFQ 2009; Disneyland 2010; WDW 2010; Disney Magic 2011; Disney Fantasy Maiden Voyage 2012
Belle2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Probably what I love the most is the peacefulness. It's such an amazing counterpoint to the frentic hectic buzz of the parks. It really does transport you to a different place.

Both times, we requested (and got) a full balcony room in Tokelau. It was just perfect... close enough to the Grand Ceremonial House, but also a very short walk to the TTC for the Epcot monorail. (It's a longer hike to the Volcano pool, but that was OK... that walk wasn't at a time when we were particularly tired.)

I LOVE the Poly!!! I'm sure you will too!

(And let me know if you want a similarly thrilled review of the Beach Club )

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
harmsja
Earning My Ears

My favorite thing is watching the nightly Wishes fireworks on the beach. We stayed Club Level which is the Hawaii longhouse. We had a first floor patio facing the lagoon. Heaven!! Every night we sat on the patio and watched. They pipe in the music to speakers along the beach. Unforgettable.

Kids walked right from our patio to beach to watch nightly Disney movie. We truly enjoyed that resort.

Transportation can not be beat. Bus, monorail and boat options. Everything is so close. Restaurants are great too.
harmsja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
cannonboys
Mouseketeer

We stayed at the Aotearoa longhouse and just loved everything about the Poly! Just the special touches like, the Hawaiian music played throughout and the "Alohas" from the CMs. Being able to see the monorail, and castle from our window made us feel like we were in the middle of it all! Kids loved watching movies from the beach, and also seeing the Wishes fireworks with the music piped in, of course! It was truly magical!! Such a great experience all around!!!

Last edited by cannonboys; 04-14-2013 at 10:17 AM.
cannonboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
Belle2007
Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone!

I am getting excited. I've read many of the threads mentioning the poly and overall I think that we will love it...

POFQ 2007; Disney Cruise "Magic" 2009; Disney Cruise "Wonder" 2009; POFQ 2009; Disneyland 2010; WDW 2010; Disney Magic 2011; Disney Fantasy Maiden Voyage 2012
Belle2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
missypaws
Mouseketeer

Poly

We have stayed there 3 times and love Hawaii. If you go without club level at Hawaii, hen the best house is Samoa. Close to everything and great view of the main pool. Hope you have fun. We at at AKLV in August. Love the quietness. Transportation is never an issue despite what others have reviewed.
missypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

favorite things:
the smell (really )
the little creek that runs from the lobby to the outside
the plants

kona

it's a gorgeous resort that envelops you in its sights, sounds, and scents
Old 04-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've only stayed at the Poly once, but that was enough for us to fall in love with the resort and it's now our favorite . We stayed in Samoa and loved the location as it was just steps from the GCH, the volcano pool, the beach, and Captain Cooks. We love everything about the Poly. The rooms are large and spacious, the tropical atmosphere is beautiful, it's romantic walking around at night under the lit tiki torches, the beach is great for relaxing in a hammock while watching the fireworks, and it's magical being able to see the castle while swimming. We loved the Poly the minute we checked in and can't wait to return in December .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2007 View Post
Thank you everyone!

I am getting excited. I've read many of the threads mentioning the poly and overall I think that we will love it...
We are staying there as a split stay for the first time this July........and I also read every thread I can about it!!

I am so looking forward to staying there, it has been a dream of min for quite sometime. DH finally agreed to give it a try!!!
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal 11/14 - AoA 12/14 - Disney Soccer Showcase
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie:cat
ocalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
Shell54
DIS Veteran

We loved staying CL in Hawaii. The Poly itself is a beautiful resort and we loved the Volcano pool as well as the quiet pool. The restaurants are great although we do not do Ohanas as the cattle call- chaos factor is a turn off..however Kona Cafe is fantastic. As others have said watching Wishes from the beach is magical and the easy monorail access to MK and TTK is unbeatable.

Disney Magic 8/12

Shell54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
huntconn
"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile."

One of my favorite things about the Poly are the beautiful grounds including the wide variety of plants and flowers, the torchlit walkways, the tikis around the grounds, etc. Also the fact that no matter what room classification you have, your room has an entire wall that is a sliding glass door, affording you a fantastic view of your surroundings. Whether your view is a top dollar MK view of the lagoon and castle or a GV with a view of the grounds, you can't go wrong.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Kimi313
DIS Veteran

Hearing about the Poly reminds me how much we love the Poly and miss it! The moment you walk in to the Poly you are transformed to another place. The music has a calming affect, the gardens are beautiful that you forget how much your feet hurt, and seeing the castle or watch wishes from the beach in a hammock is wonderful! I have never requested a longhouse except when we got lagoon view and we have never ever had a bad room or view. We love O'Hanas and the friendliness of the staff there and the whole atmosphere makes you feel like your surrounded by family. Captain Cook, a great place to grab some food and if you want to sit on the patio to eat that's even wonderful. We have had a great time at the luau and our planning going back this year but I have yet to eat at Kona's , I know! Last time we had drinks at the lounge and just hung out and talked to everyone it was so much fun. And the transportation, you can take the monorail to MK or my favorite take the boat over and you are just a short walk over to the TTC to jump on the Epcot monorail. I want to go back now!!
Hilton '92, Cont '93, Cont '94, POR '95, Poly Lag '96, Cont Tower '97, Off Site '97,Cont Tower '98, WL '99, Poly '00, Poly '00, ASSp '01, Cont '01, Poly '02, GF '03, Cont Tow '04, WL '05, Poly '06, ASMo '07 Poly '07, ASMo '08, Poly '10, Ft Wilderness '11, Beach Club '12, Beach Club NYE, Cont Tow '13, Cont Tow '14
Kimi313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

I like the atmosphere and pools, plus being on the monorail. But mostly I love the restaurants. Kona Cafe is my favorite place in the world for breakfast. I have to have 'Ohana for dinner once every trip. I even like Captain Cook's better than most other quick service places...some unque offerings and even Dole Whip (but not Dole Whip floats!)
Old 04-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
Sue M
DIS Veteran

The large rooms
Beautiful landscaping
fun pool
beach
great dining options
Great transportation
Watching Wishes & EWP on the beach
Being able to see MK & Castle from all around the resort.
Kona Coffee bar
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Lobby is beautiful with all the plants and flowers, as another poster wrote the creek running to the outside. The tiki torches, the volcano pool, Kona, and Ohana is our favorite place to eat. When we are at other resorts we try to make a reservation there. The Cast Members. Transportaton, the beach. It's my wife's favorite resort and a very close second behind the WL for me. A very close second.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Off-site 2015, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: