Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #46
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Guy Jim View Post
It is possible that the KTTW system is the root of the new system. I know in the 90's when I did a backstage magic tour, our tour guide came from the lodging side of the company. At that time the software used was a semi custom lodging software package. It was the same that most of the larger hotels in Vegas used, customized for disney of course. At that time the KTTW system and ticketing we're very different. ticketing would "sell" the resorts tickets and they would be connected to the KTTW. It was a real pain because any changes had to be done at a lodging site, nothing could be done at a ticket window. Things may have changed since then, but the process of changing everything over to a "1 person 1 data set" is still a pretty big undertaking. Add to that the fast pass plus system where there is calendar/ time based "transactions", And the complications of a web based interface. They will continue to test and debug all the different parts then they will roll it out pretty quickly.
Btw, I went to Epcot and exchanged my AP today. I'm glad to gave a plastic ticket. It was always strange to pay that much for a little piece of paper.
To say that things have changed since the 90s is a bit of an understatement...ticket transactions for at least MYW tickets can be done at either location (although I believe logically Ticketing still "sells" the tickets to the resorts, but that's usually an accounting thing). But the central "key" of most information was either the ticket (for Fastpass), or the KTTW (for everything, although Fastpass was likely still tied to the ticket entitlement which the KTTW card was the key to). And the resort system has changed a few times. The latest iteration, code-named "Lilo", was rolled out starting at the end of 2010.

For FP+, it would still be tied to the ticket entitlement, but now there is another part of the database, the guest profile, which has links to other profiles, and THAT is a bit of a mess.

But the MagicBand is just a special case of KTTW card, that is now tied to the guest profile instead of the resort reservation.

It's all rather complex, but I don't think the holdups are because of mucking with the database, but rather with integrating the new technology, training on it and procedures for dealing with issues, ironing out issues with the new technology (reportedly RFID interference is the reason for parade cancellations), and the user profile/Fastpass+ integration.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #47
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

~It's interesting that I haven't heard any credible feedback regarding this test. I guess the sky hasn't fallen after all! Anyway, I can't wait for the magic bands & fastpass plus to roll out.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #48
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Guy Jim View Post
For sure, try not to think too much. When you think of all the info they will be saving for each person, it is a bit scary. But honestly, information on a single person isn't much use to them. It is the behavior of the masses they want. It will end up guiding a lot of decisions in the future.
Its not the big brother thing that makes me start to think, its the data base. The master data base. I know that Disney is doing this to get DATA on the masses, and I know exactly how it can pay off big time for them. That is why they are doing it.

What gets me thinking is the beautiful offshoot of this - what it can do for the Disney Guest in a positive way. The potential. Wow.

Now, I am sure that there will always be an 'opt out' on information that people can do if they do not wish to particiapte. Nobody will force them to use the system. I am sure there will be ways for people to maintain their privacy 80% or as close to it as it comes now, and still visit Disney.

But

Lets chat about what it could do for those who do participate. Lets think about those little old magic bands, and the information that could be tethered individually to each and every person, little bubbles let say, on a need to know or clearance level for the CMS. These little rubber croc bands of magic.

Let say a person could choose to fill out simple questionaires about their kids,and themselves if they chose to do that. The information could be about allergies, medical conditions, favorite character, favorite colour, favorite ride or park, any medical disability ect. All of this information is tethered in bubbles on the magic band. Lets look at this application in the big brother way- practical stuff that may be good for the average disney going guest.

Lost Kids?: Hmm, a CM could immediately have all the information needed on the child within seconds, even if the child is too young to know their own last name. Not only that, but they most likely could locate the parents via their own wrist bands in seconds. Nice.

Lost Items?: You could register the description and the last place the item was at, and assuming it gets turned in, your lost item can find you!

Hotel Security: Hmm, all those cars that go into a hotel through the gates, the guard could know if people were checking in, or staying there, or eating at a table service that day, easily and automatically. No more free and cheap parking at the contemporary. If someone was just coming to look at the hotel and browse around, maybe just a 3 hr pass or something is issued. Not that I am the parking police, and actually I dont care that much about this issue, but it could also add a layer of 'security' that only people who should be there, are there, IF you know what I mean.

Park Security: some parameter of this could be helpful information for those undercover agents in the park. Someone acting in a suspicious manner? they could access some basic personal information that may help them make the decision whether the person is a threat or not.

Restaraunt Staff: Could immediately access information as you check in regarding allergies, medical conditions, ect, that can help make them more efficient and provide you with better service. This could be especially nice for those with children with non physical disabilities, and as I type this out, it would be great for people traveling with grandparents too. (My dad has altzhimers, and at the bigging or middle stage, we would still go out, but it made for some 'special' moments, if you know what I mean.)

In the parks: (this was already sort of discussed before) CMS and characters knowing the childs name, also the favorite character could be more attentive in particular.
Interaction between the guest and the physical features in the theme parks: someone who put down on their questionaire they love the water would get special attention from the fountains, favorite characters might pop up in window displays as you pass by. Things in the standby line of your favorite attraction may really react to your magic band. Perhaps at HM the ghosts may end up whispering your name in the graveyard area...perhaps they are more comforting and encouraging whispers when you try to take your 4 year old in!

Make the old new again: Some of the very worn out attractions could receive a technical boost. Imagine being in the hall of presidents, when good old ABe addresses you in particular. Or, if there is a large party from brazil(or where ever) can ask about the brazilian convention in town. Could be kinda funny for the audience. People like that. The star tours thing, a hilight is the 'spy'. Even think how this technology could bump up that experience: 'we have evidence that John form Indiana is a rebel spy! Force him to eat green veggies, that will make him talk! Just thinking out loud
Hmm, the list is endless in possibility, and some of it could be great for the Disney Guest.

I think its when you said 'master data base' and how all the seperate areas tie into the master data base, got me thinking how this model could be used to provide CMS and also Inanimate Objects with small bubbles of pertinent details that can elevate the average guests time at disney, while still providing personal security. Not only in the parks. Not only in the hotels. Not only on the transportation. Everywhere. All the time. Accurately.

Some people will hate this idea. I kinda like it. YMMV

~A
Old 04-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #49
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
Lost Kids?: Hmm, a CM could immediately have all the information needed on the child within seconds, even if the child is too young to know their own last name. Not only that, but they most likely could locate the parents via their own wrist bands in seconds. Nice.
Right here...HUGE win. Less worrying about sticking a phone number on their clothes, shoes, etc. - frankly, there is no standard way to put that information on a kid. But a kid with a magicband...quick scan by security and poof - contact phone number.

I don't know about locating...the transmitters aren't supposed to be quite that powerful. Certainly they'd know the last location they were actively used.

Quote:
Hotel Security: Hmm, all those cars that go into a hotel through the gates, the guard could know if people were checking in, or staying there, or eating at a table service that day, easily and automatically. No more free and cheap parking at the contemporary. If someone was just coming to look at the hotel and browse around, maybe just a 3 hr pass or something is issued. Not that I am the parking police, and actually I dont care that much about this issue, but it could also add a layer of 'security' that only people who should be there, are there, IF you know what I mean.
Interesting...haven't thought of this, but has anyone noticed if they've added RFID pads to the parking gates?
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #50
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Interesting...haven't thought of this, but has anyone noticed if they've added RFID pads to the parking gates?
They have added RFID pads to resort gates, however you can still just show your card to a guard too.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #51
Sound Guy Jim
Earning My Ears

Oh I'm with you, I'm not worried about the big brother thing, I'm fine with people knowing I'm at disney. Your right the possibilities are almost endless, the lost kid thing is great, I also think that eventually make things flow a lot better. Fast passionless and standby lines will be much more predictable. I can't wait, bring it on!
I've noticed that almost all major rides have the new fast pass+ readers installed( and covered up). I think even living with the land had them.
Sound Guy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #52
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post
They have added RFID pads to resort gates, however you can still just show your card to a guard too.
Good...I never could pull close enough to slide the card through right without opening the door...the guard often would push the button to open it for me

Old 04-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #53
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

Of course, the weak point of my lost kids arguement is obvious. What about the 'under 3' age group. No magic bands for them.

Another weak point, those who do not or will not participate. Of these 2 catagories, I think its the under 3 that is/will cause the most issues.

Why? Because I feel (and this is only my opinion,) that those who vehemently oppose this idea will succumb to it within a couple of days in the park - all those neat things not happening to them - also, you have the magic of discussion boards where people will discuss things heatedly, only to really not care about whatever (as violently) when it comes right down to it, especially if they are losing out on something personaly, and then those who really do care just wont end up going anymore. JMHO (a weak point on this arguement is those who have to care about personal security and information that like to go to disney (read here political and social big wigs).

The under 3 set does provide a little bit more of a technical problem. Now, it will be easy enough to link sibling bands I suppose, also parent bands. But somehow I think the mouse wouldnt mind having the data on the toddler audience too, specifically. And the lost child tracking thing. How many kids under the age of 3 get misplaced I wonder? And yet, there is nothing that I think of that would be safe to 'tag' those toddlers and infants with. Still pondering that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: