Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #31
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess sunshine View Post
Hi, this is my first time posting :-) I had to post this one because the foil hat reference with the foil bracelet had me laughing. When ParrotBill referenced Samantha what's her name who's always on TV in Orlando...no matter WHERE you stay, I laughed out loud! My family and i always kid about this preset channel that greets people at most every hotel/resort/timeshare in the area. Thanks to you both for the laughs, I appreciated it =)
You might be confusing the Travel Channel's Samantha Brown (who has done quite a few Disney-centric shows, but has several travel series on the channel) with Stacey of the old "Top 7"/current "Must Dos" perpetual loop channel in the resorts. (I was going to call her "Must Dos Stacey", but that might be taken the wrong way...)
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #32
princess sunshine
Earning My Ears

Yes, thank you for clarifying The Disney Must Do one is what I was referencing.
princess sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #33
makeitmagic39
Earning My Ears

I cannot wait for magic bands! As much as I love using fastpasses, I am not too worried about fastpass+. Sometimes it is just fun to wait in line!! Spend some quality time together and just relax.

Someone said they don't want to "plan" on their vacation. HA. I love planning. I find it to be a beautiful thing, and makes everything so much less stressful.

Bah I just want my freaking magic band. Please and thank you.

It will happen
makeitmagic39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #34
deadheadmamma4
Mouseketeer

I really hope they have it for our first trip ever in sept I think it's great for people who don't get to go all the time my kids will be heartbroken if they miss toystory.
deadheadmamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #35
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Welcome Princess Sunshine, glad I made you laugh!

In fact I was intentionally mixing up Samantha and Stacy. Over the last 2 years Samantha has also become a Disney property, not just on the Travel Channel.

Google "Samantha Brown Disney" and look at the hits... Everything I see on TV at home and much that I run into online about Disney is done by her now... and she is as bad as Stacy!

30+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #36
EagleScout
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBill View Post
Welcome Princess Sunshine, glad I made you laugh!

In fact I was intentionally mixing up Samantha and Stacy. Over the last 2 years Samantha has also become a Disney property, not just on the Travel Channel.

Google "Samantha Brown Disney" and look at the hits... Everything I see on TV at home and much that I run into online about Disney is done by her now... and she is as bad as Stacy!
Indeed, regarding Samantha Brown /Stacey - Stacey was always just a Disney spokesperson, but Samantha "used to" be sort of an objective journalist/reviewer/critic (although I literally never heard give a critical review), but then became a paid spokesperson for Disney. But what was a bit "sneaky" (some might say sleazy) was that the Samantha Brown promos were clearly produced to resemble her Travel Channel pieces (color schemes, photography styles, etc.). I don't begrudge her finding new employment, but the whole promo just seems a bit "off" - could have even just included a very brief - "samantha brown here on behalf of Disney" - as opposed to "samantha brown here AT Disney" (which makes it look like disney just playing a travel channel piece) - maybe it is just so obvious that they would not be able to use a Travel Channel piece without proper attribution, etc (obviously I figured it out), but did take me a few minutes in my Disney-induced haze to discern it.
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #37
Sound Guy Jim
Earning My Ears

For my first post I thought I'd take on a big one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8estg8r View Post
Why is this such a hard thing to roll-out? I understand that Fastpass+ is/can be a difficult thing to roll-out, but why are the magic bands hard to figure out? Couldn't they just unleash the Magicband with everything but Fastpass+ and then integrate that later (what they have done with My Disney Experience). Isn't the band the same thing as the RFID card you get when checking into the resort right? I am seriously considering hot-gluing a band to my ticket/room key when I get there and then I will have my own DIY Magicband.

What you have to realize is that the fastpass+ / Magic band isn’t just a new way to carry a room key. If you look at the money they are spending on this system it is obvious that it is something much more.

Disclaimer/full disclosure: I am not nor have I ever been a Disney employee. I am an observer of technology, and as a frequent attender to Disney over the years. I’ve interacted with most of their computer systems, at least as a customer, many times.

Having said that, I believe that the new magic band fast pass+ system is a holistic replacement of all the various computer/database systems with a single central database that controls and stores data from all the various aspects of the guest experience.

The current guest system consists of at least 7 different databases with specific functions. There is some interaction between systems, but it seems to be limited. The 7 that I can think of are these:
1. Resort room keys and charges (KTTW).
2. Park ticketing
3. Annual passes. (it’s my observation that this is separate from park ticketing due personal interaction with cast members and the system)
4. Point of sale for merchandise.
5. Point of sale and reservations for eating establishments.
6. Fast pass.
7. Online experiences.
(This doesn’t even include the DVC and DCL stuff)
With the size of Disney and the amount of data that they store and retrieve is huge and having a guest’s data stored in multiple systems is cumbersome and requires a lot a database management. Add to that Disney’s desire to make the guest experience more seamless and enjoyable, getting all these systems to talk to each other is a programming nightmare. The ultimate goal is to have one database entry for each guest. It will hold all the information needed for that guest and when it is modified anywhere it is modified for everything.

The reason that it takes so long to implement something like this is each of those systems need to be programmed to interact with the master data base. Each of these modules need to be tested and debugged. Once they have all the modules debugged they can start to unify all the old databases into the new single database this will probably happen one system/module at a time. As time goes on the single database becomes more unified, and the different systems come online until it is all one. This doesn’t take into account the hardware changes that have to happen. All the POS terminals, all the room locks, all the “turnstiles”, all the computers, all the fastpass machines, all the fast pass readers. Anything that will interact with the RFID cards/bands needs to be upgraded or installed, and debugged. After that the cast members need to be trained on the modules they will be interacting with.
Obviously this is an enormous undertaking. I’m sure a lot of it has been taking place behind the scenes for some time, but when they needed to start installing hardware, they needed to make an announcement, otherwise lots of people on forums and blogs start yelling “what’s that”.
In the end I think it’ll be great, Things like when I buy something at a store that has a discount for AP holders, It automatically deducts it. The wait time signs will be more accurate, because everybody will be a data point, not just the people handed the red card. Ultimately there will be a lot of data that will help Disney better understand how people move through the park. And they can design the park for better flow, and a better guest experience.

There's my opinion, It is worth every penny you paid for it.
Sound Guy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #38
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisnKim913 View Post
Basically with Fastpass+ you can pre-book your fastpass. Let's say you know you are going to Magic Kingdom on August 7th and a must do attraction for your family is Storytime with Belle. Now you can log on to the My Disney Experience website and basically search open times for that attraction and book your Fastpass. So now when you are there, your Fastpass will be connected to your MagicBand which is connected to your account on the My Disney Experience website. It's great for us Passholders who live locally and love Toy Story Mania but can NEVER get a Fastpass b/c they are gone after 10am, lol. I am very excited about this by the way, will make our lives much easier. I just hope the Disney website gets it's act together b/c it is not very reliable at all most of the time.
I live in Illinois but I share your feelings on this. Been going to WDW since 72 and whenever FP started, with FP+ I will finally, if I want, NOT have to do rope drop to get all the good fastpasses . Only problem will be when my two DD's catch wind of the system and figure out they don't have to get up so early on vacation anymore !

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #39
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Guy Jim View Post
What you have to realize is that the fastpass+ / Magic band isn’t just a new way to carry a room key. If you look at the money they are spending on this system it is obvious that it is something much more.

Disclaimer/full disclosure: I am not nor have I ever been a Disney employee. I am an observer of technology, and as a frequent attender to Disney over the years. I’ve interacted with most of their computer systems, at least as a customer, many times.

Having said that, I believe that the new magic band fast pass+ system is a holistic replacement of all the various computer/database systems with a single central database that controls and stores data from all the various aspects of the guest experience.

The current guest system consists of at least 7 different databases with specific functions. There is some interaction between systems, but it seems to be limited. The 7 that I can think of are these:
2. Park ticketing
3. Annual passes. (it’s my observation that this is separate from park ticketing due personal interaction with cast members and the system)
6. Fast pass.
7. Online experiences.
With the size of Disney and the amount of data that they store and retrieve is huge and having a guest’s data stored in multiple systems is cumbersome and requires a lot a database management. Add to that Disney’s desire to make the guest experience more seamless and enjoyable, getting all these systems to talk to each other is a programming nightmare. The ultimate goal is to have one database entry for each guest. It will hold all the information needed for that guest and when it is modified anywhere it is modified for everything.

The reason that it takes so long to implement something like this is each of those systems need to be programmed to interact with the master data base. Each of these modules need to be tested and debugged. Once they have all the modules debugged they can start to unify all the old databases into the new single database this will probably happen one system/module at a time. As time goes on the single database becomes more unified, and the different systems come online until it is all one. This doesn’t take into account the hardware changes that have to happen. All the POS terminals, all the room locks, all the “turnstiles”, all the computers, all the fastpass machines, all the fast pass readers. Anything that will interact with the RFID cards/bands needs to be upgraded or installed, and debugged. After that the cast members need to be trained on the modules they will be interacting with.
Obviously this is an enormous undertaking. I’m sure a lot of it has been taking place behind the scenes for some time, but when they needed to start installing hardware, they needed to make an announcement, otherwise lots of people on forums and blogs start yelling “what’s that”.
In the end I think it’ll be great, Things like when I buy something at a store that has a discount for AP holders, It automatically deducts it. The wait time signs will be more accurate, because everybody will be a data point, not just the people handed the red card. Ultimately there will be a lot of data that will help Disney better understand how people move through the park. And they can design the park for better flow, and a better guest experience.

Thanks for your thoughts.

What happens when the ONE system goes down?
Wilderness Lodge Club Level - 2010, 2013
We'll be home soon...
CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #40
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
You might be confusing the Travel Channel's Samantha Brown (who has done quite a few Disney-centric shows, but has several travel series on the channel) with Stacey of the old "Top 7"/current "Must Dos" perpetual loop channel in the resorts. (I was going to call her "Must Dos Stacey", but that might be taken the wrong way...)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Love it :>)

Also, Interesting post Sound Guy Jim. Master Data Base. Hmmm. That gets me thinking.

~A
Old 04-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #41
Sound Guy Jim
Earning My Ears

That is the great thing about centralized databases. The data base is secured and redundant. It is probably living at several data centers, so the "information" isn't going anywhere. How much of the system goes down depends on how the system is designed. If it were me designing the system. There would be a lot of nodes so if any 1 went down (local server failure etc) it wouldn't take too many access points out. You could go as far as every access point runs independently, but that probably wouldn't work very good.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #42
Sound Guy Jim
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Love it :>)

Also, Interesting post Sound Guy Jim. Master Data Base. Hmmm. That gets me thinking.

~A
For sure, try not to think too much. When you think of all the info they will be saving for each person, it is a bit scary. But honestly, information on a single person isn't much use to them. It is the behavior of the masses they want. It will end up guiding a lot of decisions in the future.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #43
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Disney already has a centralized database. Many of the features that are part of this already exist for KTTW cards. What is new is the RFID system, which is nothing more than another way to communicate the key data to the central system.

What they do need to integrate is a portable "profile" of each guest that can be accessed from the web, which can handle ticket key data more flexibly.

This isn't as major as it seems from the database end.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #44
gr8estg8r
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Guy Jim View Post

2. Park ticketing
6. Fast pass.
7. Online experiences.

I totally understand and agree with everything you have said, however doesn't the KTTW card do everything already except interactive experiences, fastpass+ and reservations. It would seem to me that they could just add those features to the magicband at a later time since most of the features are available in the RFID ticket technology already available. The RFID information shouldn't be different whether its on the magicband or on the KTTW card.
gr8estg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #45
Sound Guy Jim
Earning My Ears

It is possible that the KTTW system is the root of the new system. I know in the 90's when I did a backstage magic tour, our tour guide came from the lodging side of the company. At that time the software used was a semi custom lodging software package. It was the same that most of the larger hotels in Vegas used, customized for disney of course. At that time the KTTW system and ticketing we're very different. ticketing would "sell" the resorts tickets and they would be connected to the KTTW. It was a real pain because any changes had to be done at a lodging site, nothing could be done at a ticket window. Things may have changed since then, but the process of changing everything over to a "1 person 1 data set" is still a pretty big undertaking. Add to that the fast pass plus system where there is calendar/ time based "transactions", And the complications of a web based interface. They will continue to test and debug all the different parts then they will roll it out pretty quickly.
Btw, I went to Epcot and exchanged my AP today. I'm glad to gave a plastic ticket. It was always strange to pay that much for a little piece of paper.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: