Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I never saw any confirmation that testing ever started at Boardwalk. I haven't seen anyone post about it. But it was always rumored to start at Boardwalk. But it was never sure if it was just a test of MagicBands in place of KTTW cards, etc. The AK test mentions testing everything...would REALLY like to hear how testers think of FP+ and what restrictions they had.

Perhaps the CM AK testing is just a rumor?
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #17
Jake
Earning My Ears

This has to save them money somehow or they would not be doing it
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #18
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
This has to save them money somehow or they would not be doing it
Not necessarily save, as much as generate additional revenue. They forecast 10-20% additional spending by guests - apparently just because it's easier to spend money that way (at least, before the PIN restrictions - haven't heard much on that lately)
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
ned911
Earning My Ears

Could also be about collecting data, which they intend to mine in order to figure out how to get us to spend more money. At least that is what I would do
Old 04-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #20
MissPrincessKendall
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswel_Cogs View Post
I agree had the spent all the money building a few more rides per park they would have probabbly been better off in making people happy.
They do not need to make people happy. The numbers are three the roof and they are not going to just shell out all this crazy amounts of money to make more rides per parks when the parks are maxing at capacity as it is with the rides and things they already have.

This will absolutely boost their revenue. Disney is smarter then we all think and they are usually a step ahead of us on how exactly to make money.
MissPrincessKendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #21
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPrincessKendall View Post
They do not need to make people happy. The numbers are three the roof and they are not going to just shell out all this crazy amounts of money to make more rides per parks when the parks are maxing at capacity as it is with the rides and things they already have.

This will absolutely boost their revenue. Disney is smarter then we all think and they are usually a step ahead of us on how exactly to make money.
We'll see...
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #22
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

In theory its an awesome idea. In practicality, it's being harder to implement than initially thought. I'm still holding out that they get it working properly.
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #23
livsmom04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBill View Post
I think my MagicBand will be Silver color. As in wrapped in Aluminum foil! And a tinfoil hat to protect me from all the Magic being beamed at me!

7/96-Offsite, 5/98-Offsite, 5/10-ASM, 7/11-POP, 4/12 -POP, 8/12-Coronado Springs, 6/13-Coronado Springs, 6/13 AKV, 9/14 POP
Trip Reports:
Seriously, Disney Again? A F&W Festival & MNSSHP PTR! *Updated MNNSHP Costumes & Friends Going 8/11*
Me? A Princess? Shut Up!! My 1st PHM PTR!
Completed TR-A Family Trip Full of Surprises: 2 Updates! Complete!!

livsmom04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #24
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned911 View Post
Could also be about collecting data, which they intend to mine in order to figure out how to get us to spend more money. At least that is what I would do
Well, yes...also part of that 10-20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPrincessKendall View Post
Well, that's debatable. If parks are at capacity, that is good for the bottom line, but bad for guest satisfaction. If they let satisfaction drop too much, they will get a bad reputation and guests will stop coming, and the bottom line will drop. They will then need to figure out how to get them back, or find other revenue streams.

Expanding existing parks with new attractions and freshening others is one way to do it.

DVC is an example of another revenue stream, although the sustainability is somewhat of a question unless they keep building until they get to 2042 when the first contracts run out and they can resell. And if they keep building, that's more guests to take the place of those who left, so they can forestall expansion.

But it still would be bad business to run things at 100% too long, as it would make DVC a tougher selling point.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:08 AM   #25
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

They are conducting testing. It seems to be very limited scale, I'd be surprised if it was anything more than a percentage of guests at AKL because I didn't see many bands in all the people-watching I do, but I did speak with a family who had their Magic Bands on at Animal Kingdom on Sunday. They were FL residents and the mother said a CM friend told them when to book a short stay to get a chance to participate. She seemed fairly ambivalent about the system as a whole. She had some of the same complaints that have come up in every thread on the subject here on the DIS - she ended up having to write down their pre-selected times because the band offers no reminder, they didn't like being limited to only 3 FP per day because they normally use more than that, she didn't like that they were limited to selecting each attraction once (we had this convo in the loading area for Dinosaur during a "technical difficulty" - it was a walk-on but they had chosen it as their 3rd FP+ attraction simply because they couldn't get a second set for the safari or Everest). But she did say the bracelets were comfortable and stayed securely fastened even on her kids, and that she liked not having to worry about taking a room key to the pool. It was sort of funny, hearing her list off so many of the downsides that DISers are already anticipating. No new info, nothing juicy at all, but when I saw them wearing the bands I had to strike up a conversation to get their impressions.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #26
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors Rocks View Post
~Thanks for the update! I can't wait for the magic bands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2023 View Post
I don't think there is anything stopping them from rolling out the magicband portion of the MDE other then the fact that I'm sure they wan't to roll it out all at once. I don't believe the delays are due to the bands.
~I agree. There is no definitive explanation as to why the testing was "delayed" --it's just all speculation and rumors. There was never an official date announced for FP+ to begin with and from day one I've always predicted FP+ to debut in late 2013 or early 2014. With that said, I'm hoping it's sooner than later, but later is okay, too. Disney should take as much time as needed to make sure this thing works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBill View Post
I think my MagicBand will be Silver color. As in wrapped in Aluminum foil! And a tinfoil hat to protect me from all the Magic being beamed at me!
~LOL! Here is your matching tin foil hat!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #27
Whatsthegoodword
Mouseketeer

Boooooooo to this whole idea! My life is already complicated enough, and now I'm supposed to plan ahead when I'm riding Splash Mtn? Just let me take a vacation - for crying out loud!
Whatsthegoodword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #28
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

HATE HATE this idea, and hope it will NOT be up and working in 6 weeks when we are there!!
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #29
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~LOL! Here is your matching tin foil hat!

Yes! that is just what, ehem, the "DR" ordered. Wait, no, it has satellite dishes attached!

Well, I hope it gets that channel with Samantha what's-her-name.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #30
princess sunshine
Earning My Ears

Hi, this is my first time posting :-) I had to post this one because the foil hat reference with the foil bracelet had me laughing. When ParrotBill referenced Samantha what's her name who's always on TV in Orlando...no matter WHERE you stay, I laughed out loud! My family and i always kid about this preset channel that greets people at most every hotel/resort/timeshare in the area. Thanks to you both for the laughs, I appreciated it =)
princess sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: