Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

MyMagic MagicBand testing currently underway at Disney's Animal Kingdom

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagi...al-kingdom.htm

Quote:
MyMagic+ MagicBand testing is set to begin today at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
The two day test will use the full range of MyMagic+ services, including the MagicBands, FASTPASS+, Touch-to-Pay, and Touch-to-Enter. Pre-selected guests staying at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge will be taking part in the test.

Disney has not yet announced when MagicBands and FASTPASS+ will be introduced to all guests, but testing is ongoing with plans to introduce the full MyMagic+ service later this year.

Click link for more details.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
3happydancers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors Rocks View Post
I thought testing stopped indefinitely due to ongoing problems???

2006, '07, '08 POFQ
2009 Saratoga Springs/POFQ
2010 Animal Kingdom Kidani Village
3happydancers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3happydancers View Post

I thought testing stopped indefinitely due to ongoing problems???
They just did testing at the boardwalk and they are switching pass holder tickets now in Epcot to RFID cards which act like magic band but are just cards like today's tickets.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
fflmaster
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I would love to hear from someone that did the testing. Let us know how it worked.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
laura-k
Mouseketeer

love to hear !
Not quite clear on fastpass +

laura-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
ChrisnKim913
DIS Veteran

Basically with Fastpass+ you can pre-book your fastpass. Let's say you know you are going to Magic Kingdom on August 7th and a must do attraction for your family is Storytime with Belle. Now you can log on to the My Disney Experience website and basically search open times for that attraction and book your Fastpass. So now when you are there, your Fastpass will be connected to your MagicBand which is connected to your account on the My Disney Experience website. It's great for us Passholders who live locally and love Toy Story Mania but can NEVER get a Fastpass b/c they are gone after 10am, lol. I am very excited about this by the way, will make our lives much easier. I just hope the Disney website gets it's act together b/c it is not very reliable at all most of the time.
ChrisnKim913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I never saw any confirmation that testing ever started at Boardwalk. I haven't seen anyone post about it. But it was always rumored to start at Boardwalk. But it was never sure if it was just a test of MagicBands in place of KTTW cards, etc. The AK test mentions testing everything...would REALLY like to hear how testers think of FP+ and what restrictions they had.

The RFID cards will lack a feature that MagicBands have to enable certain custom experiences.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
gr8estg8r
Earning My Ears

Why is this such a hard thing to roll-out? I understand that Fastpass+ is/can be a difficult thing to roll-out, but why are the magic bands hard to figure out? Couldn't they just unleash the Magicband with everything but Fastpass+ and then integrate that later (what they have done with My Disney Experience). Isn't the band the same thing as the RFID card you get when checking into the resort right? I am seriously considering hot-gluing a band to my ticket/room key when I get there and then I will have my own DIY Magicband.

Last edited by gr8estg8r; 04-15-2013 at 10:59 AM.
gr8estg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
quikah
Mouseketeer

From what I understand Magicbands are active RFID tags, they have a battery and can broadcast your info without having to be near a reader.

The current RFID tickets are passive, they require the reader to power the chip to enable broadcasting your info.

I am guessing they are still trying to get the whole broadcasting anywhere aspect under control.
quikah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikah View Post
From what I understand Magicbands are active RFID tags, they have a battery and can broadcast your info without having to be near a reader.

The current RFID tickets are passive, they require the reader to power the chip to enable broadcasting your info.

I am guessing they are still trying to get the whole broadcasting anywhere aspect under control.
MagicBands have both passive (two, actually) and active RFID chips. The active unit is supposedly only for triggering things from a distance and is not required for most of the features.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
Mike2023
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8estg8r View Post
Why is this such a hard thing to roll-out? I understand that Fastpass+ is/can be a difficult thing to roll-out, but why are the magic bands hard to figure out? Couldn't they just unleash the Magicband with everything but Fastpass+ and then integrate that later (what they have done with My Disney Experience). Isn't the band the same thing as the RFID card you get when checking into the resort right? I am seriously considering hot-gluing a band to my ticket/room key when I get there and then I will have my own DIY Magicband.
I don't think there is anything stopping them from rolling out the magicband portion of the MDE other then the fact that I'm sure they wan't to roll it out all at once. I don't believe the delays are due to the bands.

{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
csharpwv
DIS Veteran

The reason why they aren't going to roll it out all at once is simple...

It isn't working properly.

Simple enough?

This system has been a train wreck from the beginning.

Disney's strong-suit isn't technology - their reservations systems are full of more bugs than the tree of life! It is an antiquated system that has been updated and upgraded more times than anything should be - and every time they have an upgrade.... the whole system goes down, which then triggers unscheduled maintenance, and then the system comes back a few pieces at a time - until finally everything is working.... for the whole sequence to happen again.

Their technology abilities are far below the tech-know needed for this system to be functional and forward thinking.

For crying out loud - for the parades to at DHS and DAK to send this system of the fritz is a clear example that they have no solid grasp on how RFID systems function, what signals can interfere, and how to manage the system to keep things functioning properly.

Can you imagine spending DAYS of time planning your vacation, down to what time you will ride Splash Mountain - to then show up and the system be DOWN? OR all of those hard to make reservations LOST with no hope of them being found?

I really appreciate their desire to get with the times and make the Disney Park Experience more relevant, technological, and coordinated - however, this whole mess is going to be at least a year in honing, changes, and challenges.

I love Disney, and I love all things Disney - but this era of Disney is one that we will all want to forget about in 5 years.....when we are all fighting online to make reservations for Space Mountain.... Awful!
-Bay Lake Tower
-Saratoga Springs
-Hilton Head Island
csharpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
MagicBands have both passive (two, actually) and active RFID chips. The active unit is supposedly only for triggering things from a distance and is not required for most of the features.
I think my MagicBand will be Silver color. As in wrapped in Aluminum foil! And a tinfoil hat to protect me from all the Magic being beamed at me!

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #14
robmag
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBill View Post
I think my MagicBand will be Silver color. As in wrapped in Aluminum foil! And a tinfoil hat to protect me from all the Magic being beamed at me!
robmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

I agree had the spent all the money building a few more rides per park they would have probabbly been better off in making people happy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: