DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
TEK224

Never gets tired of hearing "You're going to Disney again?!"

Point Transfer or One Time Purchase

So I've never done either before and have a few questions.

My home resort is SSR with a March UY. I'll be going during Marathon weekend in January. I would like to try to get a room at BCV or BWV, but can't try for them until June.

Currently I will be borrowing points from my 2014 UY to make this reservation, as my 2013 points will be used up by them (going twice this year and then again in Jan., which I guess is a good problem to have ).

Even with borrowing, I will be short some points to make this a 6 night stay. However, I also want to make sure I have a 2 BR booked for the stay. I can book now for a 5 night stay at SSR using my remaining points. If BCV or BWV is available at the 7 month window I'll switch to there.

So here are my questions:
1. Can I have points transfered into my account now to book the full 6 night at SSR and still have some points left so if BC/BW become available I can switch? (For instance, I will need 54 points transferred into my account for a 6 nights at BCV. If I get those points now and book SSR, I would still have 22 points left in case BCV opens. Can I then apply those 22 points to book BCV?

2. If I don't get transferred points in, I could try for a std. BWV 2BR for which I would only need 10 additional points. If I book SSR now and BWV is available at 7 mos. can I switch the ressie to BWV and buy 10 one-time points from Disney to complete the res?

Hope I explained that right.
Thanks!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

If you want to book SSR from now, you will need to transfer in SSR points so you can book those nights. Then, when 7 month opens, you will have what you need to try for the other resorts. But, if you have points transferred in, they will use those up before borrowing--well, at least that is my understanding. That will leave you own points left to borrow to fill the request when it comes in.

If you wait and can get the lower cost room, you would be allowed to buy one time points.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
TEK224

Sandi,

I have enough SSR points of my own to book 5 nights now. I just wanted to make sure that if BCV/BWV is available at 7 mos. I would be allowed to transfer in points to switch the res. I could only buy the one-time points if I stay std 2BR at BW. Since it looks lik all BWV 2BR are lock-offs, I'd rather try for the BCV dedicated 2BR. For that I'd have to transfer points in because it would be more than 25 points.

As long as I know it's permitted to do that, I can start planning and decide which way to go at 7 mos.

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
johnsbelt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK224 View Post
Sandi,

I have enough SSR points of my own to book 5 nights now. I just wanted to make sure that if BCV/BWV is available at 7 mos. I would be allowed to transfer in points to switch the res. I could only buy the one-time points if I stay std 2BR at BW. Since it looks lik all BWV 2BR are lock-offs, I'd rather try for the BCV dedicated 2BR. For that I'd have to transfer points in because it would be more than 25 points.

As long as I know it's permitted to do that, I can start planning and decide which way to go at 7 mos.

Thanks!
Another option would be to get a transfer from another member that has BCV/BWV points. When points are transferred, they retain their resort/UY characteristics.

I used TTS for my transfer. They were able to find me a member willing to transfer points to me. Both times it took about 2 weeks to find someone. Something to look into. If you go this route and would not be using your 2013 SSR points, you can bank them for use next year (provided you aren't in the last 4 months of your use year).

Hope this helps,

John
johnsbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

I have had points transferred in many times over the years. I never had any trouble with the owners, but goodness, DVC does not know how to handle these points.

My current [but not only] DVC Transferred Point Fiasco: 150 transferred in BW 2013 June UY. Modifying a reservation and had to call because needed to use about 50 of the BW transferred points. When CM went to do modification, it altered the existing point usage for the reservation by taking all 150 BW points for it, then put the original points used for the reservation [my own points] into 2013 'borrowed' status. It took IT 2 weeks to "fix" it and it still wasn't like it should be, but it was something I could live with, i.e. had no choice but to use all the transferred BW points for reservation, but they were able to put my "borrowed" points back into the proper UY.

I guess the only reason I just posted this dissertation was to give you fair warning that while in theory point transfers work . . . in practice, not so much. I guess I should learn to quit doing it myself.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
TEK224

John,

I don't have any 2013 UY points left. I'm borrowing 2014 points to use for Jan. 2014, but will be about 54 points shy if I can get BCV.

I have a co-worker who thinks he has extra that he won't be using (imagine that) and is willing to transfer into my account. I just won't be able to try to book until the 7 mo. window opens.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If you are running the marathon, you will have to take a bus to and from the marathon start if you stay at BWV or BCV. You cannot walk through Epcot before the park opens at the start of the race and you have to have park admission to walk through after the race.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
TEK224

Thanks Deb. I'm aware of having to take the bus to the start. I want to book BCV or who will be cheering me on. I'm not the fastest, so if they can hang out ay BCV and then be on the course when I go by, it saves them having to get up super early.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: