Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #16
Vidia2
DIS Veteran
 
Vidia2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 657

.

Last edited by Vidia2; 10-15-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Vidia2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #17
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night
 
Disneylvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidia2 View Post

The only time the GAC has not helped us avoid an extremely long line in a very crowded area was for the Fantasmic show in DHS. We waited for about an hour and a half on one trip, as many people do and it was unpleasant for our child as well as the people around us. Meltdown! The CM finally allowed him to sit outside the rope that ran alongside the line, but DH and I had to stay inside the rope. I would never put my child through this again. Once we got in the viewing area, DH quickly found a manager and we were escorted to handicapped seating. We avoid this now by just getting the Fantasmic dining package and we tell our child months in advance so he knows that if he wants to see the show, which he loves, we have to make that ADR.
We have never even attempted to take DD to Fantasmic but would like to try during this next trip... I think our only option (she isn't going to endure a 60-90 minute wait in a crowded line) is to do the Fantasmic dining package but we do limit our sit down meals while in WDW. I am hoping they bring back the Taste of Hollywood to Go Fantasmic package during our trip (Memorial Day week) as that would work out perfectly!
__________________
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge
Disneylvr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #18
LisaBi
DIS Veteran
 
LisaBi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylvr

We have never even attempted to take DD to Fantasmic but would like to try during this next trip... I think our only option (she isn't going to endure a 60-90 minute wait in a crowded line) is to do the Fantasmic dining package but we do limit our sit down meals while in WDW. I am hoping they bring back the Taste of Hollywood to Go Fantasmic package during our trip (Memorial Day week) as that would work out perfectly!
My son would never make the wait in line either. But we can do OK inside the theater. We NEVER join the line until after they open the theater and the line starts moving. Then it is more of a long slow walk instead of a wait just standing there. Once inside (still usually 30 - 60 minutes before showtime) we can take turns walking around, get something to eat, etc. the wait inside isn't so bad. I wonder if you could bring bubbles or something like that as added entertainment.
LisaBi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night
 
Disneylvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaBi

My son would never make the wait in line either. But we can do OK inside the theater. We NEVER join the line until after they open the theater and the line starts moving. Then it is more of a long slow walk instead of a wait just standing there. Once inside (still usually 30 - 60 minutes before showtime) we can take turns walking around, get something to eat, etc. the wait inside isn't so bad. I wonder if you could bring bubbles or something like that as added entertainment.
If we can make it through the line to seats I think we can keep her entertained with the iPad and a bag of fidget toys. Like your son, I think we can do OK inside the theater. We are going during a crowded week and that is what worries me most. We might wait for the 10:30pm Fantasmic and hope it is less crowded.
__________________
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge
Disneylvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland
 
Joanna71985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mickey's backyard (Orlando, FL)
Posts: 13,809

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidia2 View Post
It can also be used for some character meet and greets, at least in our experience.
The GAC is not valid for characters (with the possibility of TST). Someone may have made an exception, but that is not normally the case
__________________
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #21
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,923
DISboards Moderator

As far as I know, this is still the policy (copied from post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board)

What about Character Greetings? Can I use the GAC for those?
In general, GACs are not used for character greetings that are outdoors. For those outdoor greetings, if you have specific needs, there is always a CM 'handling' the characters. That CM might be able to make some accommodations for your needs.
One example of these types of greetings would be the characters in Epcot in World Showcase.

Depending on what accommodations you need, you may be able to use your GAC at Character Greetings that are in permanent indoor locations. These are considered attractions and are listed on the park maps as attractions. Examples of this are the Theater on Main Street in MK, Camp Mickey Minnie at AK and the Epcot Character Spot in Future World in Epcot.
Check with CM at the entrance to explain your needs and find out what assistance may be available.

I am adding another sentence to the FAQs thread to make it clearer there may not be any accommodations.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:13 AM   #22
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better
 
aubriee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East of Dallas
Posts: 14,811

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaBi View Post
My son would never make the wait in line either. But we can do OK inside the theater. We NEVER join the line until after they open the theater and the line starts moving. Then it is more of a long slow walk instead of a wait just standing there. Once inside (still usually 30 - 60 minutes before showtime) we can take turns walking around, get something to eat, etc. the wait inside isn't so bad. I wonder if you could bring bubbles or something like that as added entertainment.
I know you mean well, but as someone who has not one, but two grandkids allergic to that bubble solution, I would not recommend bubbles as a distraction in line. If someone was using them and refused to stop if we ask, then we'd have to leave the line, which would not be fair to us. This happened to us a few years ago at the safari in AK. A lady gave her kids a couple of those small bottles of bubble solution to play with. As soon as I saw them, I very politely asked if they could not use them, as my GD is allergic to the bubble solution and breaks out into whelps if one touches her. The mom sarcasticly snorted that no one is allergic to bubble solution. Then her bratty son immediately blew bubbles straight at my GD and the mom said, "see she's still alive". I had to rush her out of line and into the nearest restroom were we washed her face, neck and arms, but she still had red whelps on her face and arm. Later I thought I should have filed assault charges on them, since I had distincly warned them that she is allergic to bubble solution and the kid intentionally blew bubbles at her anyway. Even if he hadn't blown them directly on her, there is no way to get away from those bubbles in line and they are very annoying getting people's clothes wet and getting on camera lenses and glasses lenses.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:46 AM   #23
KPeveler
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 6 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 4,024
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
I know you mean well, but as someone who has not one, but two grandkids allergic to that bubble solution, I would not recommend bubbles as a distraction in line. If someone was using them and refused to stop if we ask, then we'd have to leave the line, which would not be fair to us. This happened to us a few years ago at the safari in AK. A lady gave her kids a couple of those small bottles of bubble solution to play with. As soon as I saw them, I very politely asked if they could not use them, as my GD is allergic to the bubble solution and breaks out into whelps if one touches her. The mom sarcasticly snorted that no one is allergic to bubble solution. Then her bratty son immediately blew bubbles straight at my GD and the mom said, "see she's still alive". I had to rush her out of line and into the nearest restroom were we washed her face, neck and arms, but she still had red whelps on her face and arm. Later I thought I should have filed assault charges on them, since I had distincly warned them that she is allergic to bubble solution and the kid intentionally blew bubbles at her anyway. Even if he hadn't blown them directly on her, there is no way to get away from those bubbles in line and they are very annoying getting people's clothes wet and getting on camera lenses and glasses lenses.
You will need to be very careful, because if WDW is anything like DL, they sell light up bubble blowers and bubble solution in the parks, so there is literally no where you can go to avoid bubbles. Again, I live in CA, so I am not sure if this is true for WDW, but it is not just parents bringing out bubbles anymore. They are sold in the parks, the CMs often have the bubble guns and blow bubbles at passersby constantly, and even the parade floats have bubbles.

I would be very careful, and make sure that the kid's skin in covered as much as possible, wear sun glasses to protect the eyes, and know where first aid, just in case, if they are that allergic to bubble solution.
__________________
~Katy~

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #24
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night
 
Disneylvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler

You will need to be very careful, because if WDW is anything like DL, they sell light up bubble blowers and bubble solution in the parks, so there is literally no where you can go to avoid bubbles. Again, I live in CA, so I am not sure if this is true for WDW, but it is not just parents bringing out bubbles anymore. They are sold in the parks, the CMs often have the bubble guns and blow bubbles at passersby constantly, and even the parade floats have bubbles.

I would be very careful, and make sure that the kid's skin in covered as much as possible, wear sun glasses to protect the eyes, and know where first aid, just in case, if they are that allergic to bubble solution.
Personally we have not used bubbles in public as a distraction for DD. When she was younger they were often used as a positive reinforcer during private therapy. We also have a bubble machine that we use in our backyard. But I have seen CM's use bubble guns at WDW and in a few attractions and parades as well. Great Movie Ride and Muppets comes to mind...
__________________
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge
Disneylvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #25
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,923
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylvr View Post
Personally we have not used bubbles in public as a distraction for DD. When she was younger they were often used as a positive reinforcer during private therapy. We also have a bubble machine that we use in our backyard. But I have seen CM's use bubble guns at WDW and in a few attractions and parades as well. Great Movie Ride and Muppets comes to mind...
We are at WDW right now and got bubbled twice yesterday - as Disneylvr mentioned, they are in several attractions, but you can also run into them at the parks just walking along. They sell bubble shooters in the parks and CMs selling them blow bubbles to attract buyers. Depending on how the wind is blowing, they can go a long way.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #26
Vidia2
DIS Veteran
 
Vidia2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 657

.

Last edited by Vidia2; 10-15-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Vidia2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #27
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,923
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidia2 View Post
The thing about the line is that, in our one experience waiting, it was "packed in" people. It's not like a regular line which may be 3 people wide. It was more like 15 people across, seemed like even more. It's more like waiting in a crowd of people, than a line. If you choose to do it, trying to be on the side might help. As far as the actual theater, it's very tight seating. Our son fidgets and swings his legs and he's not a little tyke so we sit in handicapped seating which has more leg room and chances are someone still gets accidentally kicked. We stay in apologetic mode during the whole show and try to keep this from happening. Other people are always so kind in this situation, thankfully.

I don't know how to do multiple quotes but as you mentioned before about the QS option for Memorial Weekend...we're hoping for that option as well, though our next trip will be ending just before that weekend, so we have the dining package planned. I keep checking for the Min & Bill's option though. We do QS and pay out of pocket for TS as we just can't plan. We have to go with the flow for the most part.

Thank you Sue, for posting the FAQs. That's very helpful info. I didn't know the official policy, just our experience.

Bubbles...Oh, we've used those light up bubble "guns" during the show. We won't be doing that now. I didn't know this was an allergy issue.
Disney does not have anything official posted about GACs at all, so there is no 'official' written information to go to.

The information in the disABILITIES is as accurate as we can make it without any official guidance from Disney (and have been checked for accuracy for me by Guest Relations CMs).
It is also consistent with the ADA and general enough that it should not change much, even if WDW changes some things about GACs.

We do ask that people not post specific information about the wording on their GACs or post exactly how it worked because things do change.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #28
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran
 
Kellykins1218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sandusky, Ohio
Posts: 837

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
We are at WDW right now and got bubbled twice yesterday .
I love that phrase "got bubbled"
__________________
I've been BOO'ED by GoofyinToronto!!


I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!
Kellykins1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #29
Vidia2
DIS Veteran
 
Vidia2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 657

.

Last edited by Vidia2; 10-15-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Vidia2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #30
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,923
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidia2 View Post
Thanks for posting this. I see how everyone's experience is so different and why it's best to not post specifics. I'll guide my future posting by this.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.