Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran

Magical Express - weeknights

I usually fly in early in the morning, but this trip (next month) have opted to fly in at 6pm on a Thurs. due to school/work schedules. In the mornings there seem to be a steady flow of busses and I have not waited very long to board or depart. My question is, for those that fly in on a weeknight evening, did you find they started running fewer busses and made for a longer trip? I have read posters state if they arrive after 6 they tend to pick up their own bags to avoid delays from it being in the evening.

I know this is fairly specific, but I am curious to hear your experiences because we are hoping to have time to go to MK before it closes at 11. It is my teenage cousins first trip so I don't think she could stand it!
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
May 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - first solo trip for Wine and Dine! Decided to explore new resorts: CB, YC, POLY
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge CL. Happy Birthday to me!
March/April 2014 - Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge
October 2014 - Beach Club for TOT 10-Miler! AKL/CR for Princess Half Marathon!
AThrillingChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AThrillingChase View Post
I usually fly in early in the morning, but this trip (next month) have opted to fly in at 6pm on a Thurs. due to school/work schedules. In the mornings there seem to be a steady flow of busses and I have not waited very long to board or depart. My question is, for those that fly in on a weeknight evening, did you find they started running fewer busses and made for a longer trip? I have read posters state if they arrive after 6 they tend to pick up their own bags to avoid delays from it being in the evening.

I know this is fairly specific, but I am curious to hear your experiences because we are hoping to have time to go to MK before it closes at 11. It is my teenage cousins first trip so I don't think she could stand it!
I have arrived on weekends and weeknights and note no noticeable difference.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
noahdove
DIS Veteran

Well, I have heard and I am sure someone will correct me and give you better insight, but, I believe they do check the incoming crowd and make the decision from there..And if the evening is slower, then you may need to stop at other resorts ...therefore, taking more time...

noahdove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You can use the DME luggage pickup unless you arrive after 10 pm. Before that, it's a matter of preference (some users don't want the luggage brought to their room at a later time). If you are OK with the luggage being delivered relatively late you can use the luggage service. You don't need to be in the room when it's delivered.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
SharonZ
DIS Veteran

I arrived at 10:30 p.m. on a Thursday and didn't wait at all. I agree with the PP that said that the buses are scheduled by arrival schedules of the airline passengers. This is why you are asked for your flight number and arrival times when you book ME.
SharonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

We've always arrived late in the past, and my experience has been comparable to other experiences I've heard around here.

They ask for your flight info, so they can prepare.
I've also heard of people being completely alone on their bus, so if your arrival time is too different from everyone else's that could happen.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

We've arrived on weekdays and weekends at various times. Our weekday arrivals tend to be in the evening -- just like you, we worked before heading off for the World. I did not notice a difference in terms of time to get to the resort. In fact, last August, we arrived on a Wednesday evening and were among the last on an ME bus -- so it left almost immediately. First stop was ours -- Pop Century. Now, surely there were people on that very same bus who had to wait for it to load and then were for the second or third resort stop, so they may have felt it took "forever." As with all things, YMMV.

Sandi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

We've used the ME several times on weeknight evenings, and never had an issue - very short wait times, etc. We've always just grabbed our own luggage and brought it on the bus with us - so I don't have experience with the luggage piece. In our experience, in the evenings there are no lines - walk right up to the counter to check-in, then walk right up and board the bus....

My 2013 trip report! Makin’ our way, it’s an ADVENTURE every day! A Nov (10-16) trip with a 2yr old!

DW DH DD2

DCL-Fantasy, Western Caribbean-May 2014; YC-November 2013; WL-November 2012; WL-December 2010; WL-September 2009; POR-December 2004; WL-June 1999; WL-June 1997; GF-April 1990;Treehouse Villas-1986
JulieODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Saraheg2107
Mouseketeer

I've normally had no problem with ME, in the evening or the morning. They do, to my understanding, schedule them for around how many people they have coming in. I've been on both extremely full and very empty buses. They do the best they can to accomadate everyone.

About two years ago I was flying in on a Thursday night to meet my sister who was already there. I *should* have landed around 9:30pm, due to mechanical issues however, I didn't walk off the plane until around 1:30am. I went downstairs expecting to have to find a cab to get to my resort and sure enough, there was a ME bus waiting, just for me. I felt bad that they were stuck there so late, but they assured me that it was absolutely no problem and took me straight to my resort so I could fall into bed.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
SharonZ
DIS Veteran

I arrived at 10:30 p.m. because my flight was delayed. It was the first time that I was forced to retrieve my own baggage. It really wasn't bad at all, and would consider doing it again if I arrived in the evening.
SharonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonZ
I arrived at 10:30 p.m. because my flight was delayed. It was the first time that I was forced to retrieve my own baggage. It really wasn't bad at all, and would consider doing it again if I arrived in the evening.
I'm glad you posted this. I'm concerned that if my flight is delayed in June and we arrive after 10 and I have the yellow tags on my luggage I won't know what to do. So basically even if the yellow tags are in there and we arrive after 10p b/c if a delay, they will still come up on the carousel for me to retrieve myself?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If you arrive after 10 there won't be anybody from DME to retrieve the tagged bags, so they will still be on the carousel for you to pick up.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

After 10 PM everything, yellow tags and all, comes out on the carousel.

If you don't find your bags there, file a claim there (with your airline) before leaving the area.

For arrivals after 10 PM DME baggage claims at your resort do not apply.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

^^^ thank you both for your responses!! I wasn't sure what to do if this situation were to occur! . Here's hoping for no delays!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
PWammy
Mouseketeer

I used it for the first time in October, stayed at AofA, thank goodness our resort was the first stop b/c I thought it was a long wait, but it's all relative to what you are accustomed to. Bus seemed packed, but it was really lots of adults taking up one seat; ANNOYING. We arrived around 9:30pm; Coming back we had a super early flight and stopped at a couple of resorts back to the airport. Personal preference though, I'm not a fan of it and probably won't use it again.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: