Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
How discounted are tickets typically when you buy a package? Less expensive than through Undercover Tourist?

And at what point does the DDP typically become economically advantageous for a familly?

Despite being Disney World veterans, we have never booked a package. I am in the process of helping my relatives (family of 4 including a young daughter) plan a 4-night trip at the end of August. They will likely stay at the WL/BC, although a moderate is a possibility. They would like to book maybe three character dining reservations.

Thoughts on whether or not it would just be cheaper to book the room-only once released + pay out-of-pocket for meals + Undercover Tourist tix (four 4-day park hoppers)?

Thanks!
The only way to know if the dining plan will save a family more money than paying OOP is to crunch the numbers. But usually if a family of four, 2 adults and 2 children (age 3-9) have a lot of character meals and buffets, they will save money on the dining plan. The character meals and dinner buffets cost more for a child than a whole day on the dining plan. But the dining plan doesn't work out cheaper for everyone. There are lots of discussions about the pros and cons on the dining board.

The way to know how much you are saving by buying discounted tickets through Disney vs Underground Tourist is to try booking a room only reservation and a room plus tickets reservation. Subtract the difference and that is essentially your ticket cost.

Next up: WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #17
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

I have helped first timers plan a trip and always recommend NO dining plan because the overall experience of a first time coupled with ADRs and getting there on time is stressful. One character meal, maybe one other park meal and that's it. So, in this situation, I would say room only, UT tickets and OOP for meals.

When are we going back? Not sure, hate the DAS, FP+ and the rooms keep getting more and more expensive.

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
How discounted are tickets typically when you buy a package? Less expensive than through Undercover Tourist?

Some specials will included discounted tickets (Play/Stay/Dine for example), but booking a package does not automatically mean the tickets are discounted.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
The only way to know if the dining plan will save a family more money than paying OOP is to crunch the numbers. But usually if a family of four, 2 adults and 2 children (age 3-9) have a lot of character meals and buffets, they will save money on the dining plan. The character meals and dinner buffets cost more for a child than a whole day on the dining plan. But the dining plan doesn't work out cheaper for everyone. There are lots of discussions about the pros and cons on the dining board.

The way to know how much you are saving by buying discounted tickets through Disney vs Underground Tourist is to try booking a room only reservation and a room plus tickets reservation. Subtract the difference and that is essentially your ticket cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
I have helped first timers plan a trip and always recommend NO dining plan because the overall experience of a first time coupled with ADRs and getting there on time is stressful. One character meal, maybe one other park meal and that's it. So, in this situation, I would say room only, UT tickets and OOP for meals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple figment View Post
Some specials will included discounted tickets (Play/Stay/Dine for example), but booking a package does not automatically mean the tickets are discounted.
Thank you all so much for the information! My inclination is that the package would not likely save them money and they might like having the added flexibility of no DDP, but I will definitely crunch the numbers. Thanks!
GF- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF- December 2011, AKL & GF- February 2007, BWI- February 2006, AKL- February 2005, Polynesian- February 2004, WL & Polynesian- November 2002, BC- February 2002, CR- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
mariamouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: