Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #106
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgeisler
One thing I am not getting about this thread is the OP asked for ideas for cloth diapering at Disney. I use disposables when I travel as well, but the OP asked specifically for cloth diapering options.
I completely understand the convenience of using disposables while traveling, however this thread has turned into "I don't use them when I travel, so neither should you," and "Washing dirty diapers in a washing machine or sink is disgusting." This thread is ten pages long, and has turned into an argument about washing poopy diapers:/

Sorry, had to get that out!
I think this thread is pretty tame. Yes some people don't like the idea if washing them in the sink and washer but that's the great thing about the disboards lots of different point of views.

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
Old 04-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #107
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

I found using lines when traveling was very helpful. Then I could just stick the fairly clean diaper into my wet bag.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #108
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post

I'm also still not buying the 'washers need to be cleaned' theory. Our washer is probably going on ten years old. We have never taken any steps to clean it (outside of it's normal duties). Even with this lack of care on our part, the washer doesn't smell or have any recognizable 'growth'.

It should be noted that my wife had informed me that some HE washers need extra care to keep mold from growing in them. The tiniest bit of internet research leads me to the conclusion that this mold is caused by the fact that their doors close too tightly. The issue can be managed in a few ways such as 1) leave the door ajar (This would not work in my house as one of my kids would lock the other in the washer and probably turn it on.), 2) occasionally wipe down the door's seal with a bleachy product (it's the door seal that gets funky because it isn't washed every single time that the washer is used), 3) use the washer frequently. (We had six kids in my family. There was not a day that went by that a load of clothes wasn't being washed. There would be no mold in our washer, if HE washers had been the norm way back then.) That being said, the public washers at the resorts get tons of use. I seriously doubt that they have much time for their to be mold growth in them.

It should be noted that this mold growth on the door seals of some HE washers does not mean that these washers do not adequately rinse away whatever funkiness was washed off the clothes. I'll not stress one moment over the possibility that some minute particle of some previous wash remains in the washer. The only logical conclusion to such worry is to NEVER use a public clothes washer since you will never be sure of what was washed by previous users.
This isn't technically on topic, but I wanted to respond as someone may read and think all of your post is accurate. I own an HE washer, and your ideas, while likely well meaning, are not factual.

HE washers often end up with a musty smell in them that CAN be helped by leaving the door open at least part of the time. The rubber gasket around the door seals so tightly it traps water and fungi can grow. But not all the fungi is relegated to the gasket area - there is a trap under the drum that has to be cleaned out periodically, and believe me, this thing is pretty nasty!

It has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of water being flushed through the system, in fact it seems the more the washer is used the quicker the build up. I use my washer many times per day, and we have to clean the trap regularly or our towels start to smell funky.

You posited the idea that a funky smell does not mean the washer is not rinsing properly, when actually it can mean exactly that! With front load washers, the clothes end up simply tumbling, rather than dashing in the water and if the trap is clogged, the water can back up.

Just thought I would clarify this a little bit for anyone reading along. I don't mean to belittle you in any way, and agree with some of what you've posted.

When my children were little, I used a combination of disposable and cloth diapers, and it was far enough in the past for me to have been considered "kinda weird" by my friends and relatives. I sometimes dumped the solids *from disposables and sometimes not, depending on when and where, but I was the only one I knew who did. However, I always used disposable whenever traveling, I can't imagine trying to deal with cloth in that situation.

And I have to agree with those a little skeeved out by the idea of dirty diapers washed in the sinks. Just as I was when I heard the tip given by an airline attendant to wash out your undies in the coffee pot. I will still use the sink, as I believe it is washed well enough by constant use - but I'll never use another in-room coffee maker!

*oops, left out a critical descriptor!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 04-12-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #109
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie_kat View Post
Take a look at the "directions" (ha! they still crack my up after 6+ years!) on the diaper box next time you buy a new one. At least on the Pampers boxes, the third (I think?) step shows a diaper being held over a toilet with a little present falling in!

Also, just so you don't think I'm off my rocker . . .
Dump any poop into the toilet, if possible. Fold up the dirty diaper and fasten it closed with its tabs, then put it in the trash or diaper pail. If it's flushable or compostable, dispose of it according to the manufacturer's guidelines.

Taken from http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-c...diaper_3838.bc

**edited to fix a spelling mistake
We are building a now house and have been slowly packing some of our stuff up and tossing it storage temporarily. To this end, we've been saving boxes. This gave me the opportunity to check pampers, buggies, and target diaper boxes. Not surprisingly, there were no instructions. I figure that's because by the time you worked your way through the first box of newborn-sized diapers, you pretty much have the process down.

It should be noted that I have never, ever dumped poop out of a diaper into the toilet. Further, that isn't going to somehow magically make our landfills clean since a good percentage of poopy baby diapers don't contain a nice solid chunk of poop that is going to just fall not the toilet. Finally, the idea that a diaper not decomposing is going to keep the poop inside from decomposing doesn't make sense to me. It seems that it might even decompose faster this way since it would be a warmer, damper environment, but I'm no poop scientist.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #110
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzbear View Post
When it's easy and the poop was hard enough that it would fall off of the disposable, I dumped it into the nearest toilet and flushed. If there was a line, or if the poop was not hard, I didn't bother, but really that is a rare occurance.

Keeps the diaper trash from smelling nasty, too. I rarely threw a poop diaper in the trash at home either, if we were using disposables for some reason. The poop is so gross smelling. Entire house smells better if the poop goes in the toilet!
That's why we have a diaper genie.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #111
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post

While I'm right there with you regarding human poo from diapers in the landfill vs other human waste that goes there...

I'm pretty sure that the concept of doggy pooper scoopers and doggie poo bags are not unique to Canada. Don't most cities in the US require pet owners to clean up after their animals and dispose of solid wastes? Please tell me that you don't allow your dog to poop on public property or someone else's lawn and just leave it there.
Those laws don't require you to flush the doggie poop. They merely require you to pick it up. The disposal of same is generally accomplished by tossing it in the nearest trash can.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #112
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
What I really want to know is how many of you use cloth diapers on your dogs.

I've never been so glad to have cats.
That brings up an entirely new problem. Do you flush your cat's poop? If so, do you scrape off any non-septic friendly litter that gets stuck to it?
Old 04-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #113
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That brings up an entirely new problem. Do you flush your cat's poop? If so, do you scrape off any non-septic friendly litter that gets stuck to it?
No. My cats flush for themselves.

Told you cats were better.

They're the ones who pointed me to this thread. The calico found it quite amusing.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #114
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk

no. My cats flush for themselves.

told you cats were better.

they're the ones who pointed me to this thread. The calico found it quite amusing.
lmao!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #115
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

We use cloth diapers. I use the hybrids (grovia shells and grovia biosoaker liners) when we are on vacation or doing a day at SW. I wouldn't use the resort washers that you have use coins for. Too many steps to washing and would cost too much money. Covers or shells are very easy to wash by hand and dry fast. Now if I was staying at a rental, timeshare, or villa that had a washer I would take advantage of it. I also like keeping a good stock of them just incase of a hurricane. I live in FL so never know. Going for weeks without power would not be good.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #116
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Finally, the idea that a diaper not decomposing is going to keep the poop inside from decomposing doesn't make sense to me. It seems that it might even decompose faster this way since it would be a warmer, damper environment, but I'm no poop scientist.
According to the EPA, it takes 450 years for a disposable diaper to decompose (http://www.epa.gov/gmpo/edresources/debris_t.html) so frankly the poop is not going to make a difference.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #117
writersblock42
DIS Veteran

This thread is cracking me up and so many opinions. I just have to respond to a few things.
1. Poop stinks. It is not the chemicals in the diaper or the gel that makes it stink. Poop just stinks.
2. Public washers are not clean-they are dirty. Even at home every once in a while I have to let bleach water soak by itself in the washer to get rid of the mold/funk build up. I can actually smell when it needs to be done.
3. For those that have never peed or pooped in their underwear or sheets. Good for you. I on the other hand have had two kids and sometimes when I laugh really hard pee does leak. I also do other things in a hotel room and sometimes when I am not careful it ends up on the sheets. These sheets do go through the hotel washer.
4. Somebody asks what happens to the human waste that goes in the sewer system. Well...if the cloth diapering thing grossed you out boy will you be happy next time you are eating some veggies and fruits. Ever here of fertilizer? Probably thought it came from just cows right? Nope a lot of it is human waste. http://water.epa.gov/polwaste/wastew...ent/biosolids/
5. Technically yes dog poop should be flushed but I think we are just happy around where we live if people actually pick it up and throw it away. However, dog poop has a lot of nitrogen in it. Great for plant growth-bad for water ways and kills the poor fishies. Additionally, dog poop has E. Coli and lots of other bad things in it and really needs to be disposed of properly. You can buy flush doggy bags so you don't need to dump it out. Then you can just flush it down a public toilet as well.
On-Site 2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
On-Site 2013 Coronado Springs Resort
Old 04-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #118
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

The OP has gotten plenty of good suggestions, and the thread has gone ridiculously off topic, so we're done here.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: