Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #91
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

I couldn't even imagine going on vacation with out disposable diapers. Just the thoughts of bing in the park in August with a stinky cloth diaper. I think if some one wants to do it more power too you, I thank you for helping our earth.

But I'm on vacation! Woo hoo feet up, having a blast, not thinking twice about laundry or cooking until I get back!!!!

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
Old 04-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #92
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans

You are supposed to, because otherwise you are introducing unprocessed biohazards into the 'trash' route, which is actually illegal. Don't worry, I don't think the po-po is going to chase you down But I am mindful of the fact that human waste should be processed appropriately with either cloth or disposable diapers.
Wow. This just seems like a strange splitting of hairs. There would often still have been plenty of poo on my kids' diapers even after the solids were removed (if I had ever thought to do so!). Oh, this is bringing back bad memories! . And seriously, what about wipes and feminine hygiene products? Don't they introduce unprocessed biohazards. I guess I just don't get the rationale here. But I don't make the laws--I just try to obey them.

Regarding the dog poop in Canada, does that include when you're out and about? Like, if I took my dog for a run, would I have to carry the goods back home to flush? Sounds like fun!

Edited for typo
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #93
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
Regarding the dog poop in Canada, does that include when you're out and about? Like, if I took my dog for a run, would I have to carry the goods back home to flush? Sounds like fun!

Edited for typo
While I'm right there with you regarding human poo from diapers in the landfill vs other human waste that goes there...

I'm pretty sure that the concept of doggy pooper scoopers and doggie poo bags are not unique to Canada. Don't most cities in the US require pet owners to clean up after their animals and dispose of solid wastes? Please tell me that you don't allow your dog to poop on public property or someone else's lawn and just leave it there.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #94
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
While I'm right there with you regarding human poo from diapers in the landfill vs other human waste that goes there...

I'm pretty sure that the concept of doggy pooper scoopers and doggie poo bags are not unique to Canada. Don't most cities in the US require pet owners to clean up after their animals and dispose of solid wastes in the garbage? Please tell me that you don't allow your dog to poop on public property or someone else's lawn and just leave it there.
I think she means you have to take it home and flush it! Can you just see all of us dog-owners now? Not only do I have to bag my doggies business when we are out, but I have to shake it into the toilet too!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #95
EmilyJ517
Mouseketeer

Just so everyone knows, CDing is not as gross as it seems. We do not, in fact, cloth diaper because we love poop and just want to get as close to it as possible! I was VERY wary of trying cloth, and I used disposables on my first child. I started out CDing with biodegradable inserts in covers, but I quickly realized that, with the help of a diaper sprayer, I absolutely have no more contact with poo than I did when we used sposies.

And the smell is MUCH less offensive when not mixed with the chemicals and gel from the pampers or whatever. Wetbags do a pretty good job of keeping odor down actually, especially if the diapers have been rinsed. And now that we are PTing and using pullups, I now GAG every time I need to change the diaper genie - now that is a disgusting smell. Sooo...we're not dirty hippies, just so ya know

Our next trip: A LAND and SEA Adventure!

Old 04-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #96
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Edited for typo
But the typo was so much better!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #97
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
I think she means you have to take it home and flush it! Can you just see all of us dog-owners now? Not only do I have to bag my doggies business when we are out, but I have to shake it into the toilet too!

OK, got it. Yeah, I really don't get the need to flush everything either. It either ends up in a landfill and eventually degrades, or it ends up in the sewer system. If it ends in the sewers it eventually is separated out. Wonder where all the solids from the sewers end up?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #98
Christen99
Wet behind the ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
My oldest daughter is one of those baby wearing, cloth diapering, breastfeeding, homeschooling moms. I don't know where she got it since I was a stroller pushing, bottle feeding, Huggie buying, can't-get-the-kids-on-the-bus-fast-enough mom.

Even so, she breaks down and uses disposables with they are at Disney or otherwise traveling.
This is me...and after one camping trip with cloth I decided I would rather use disposables on a trip. It wasn't much fun collecting poop and pee diapers, and having to store them somewhere. It was either wash them out in the creek, and store them in our car..or not wash them out and store them in the car. Either way, it wasn't fun.

After our camping trip I only did cloth if we were staying in a home, or a condo with a washing machine. If I didn't have direct access to laundry in the quarters we were staying in, we did disposables.

The only reason I would have continued to cloth diaper under all circumstances was if I had a child who had allergies and required the use of cloth at all times.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #99
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie

Could be a regional thing.

I know around here (Eastern Ontario), you are definitely supposed to. You're also supposed to flush your dog poop (the city requests it since their facilities aren't set up to process human or animal waste), but based on the many little baggies filling up public cans no one actually listens to that particular advice.

Flushing baby poo, on the other hand, actually seems to have stuck, maybe because it makes sense to people in a way that flushing dog poo doesn't. They enforce it at daycares, drop ins, and I was taught to do it as a babysitter. Just good manners, really. No one wants to deal with a lot of poop in the garbage. Especially not in your own home. It's worse than rotten fish, and you can't exactly stick it in your freezer, either. Nor would your neighbours thank you if you put it outside next to their driveway.

And when my kiddos were two, it was useful when we started toilet training. "Where does the poo go? In the toilet!" It was natural to go from shaking it in from the diaper, to going on a training seat and tipping it in, to actually sitting on the toilet and going.
That will be the day I flush my dogs poop lol

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
Old 04-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #100
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Actually, disposal of cat and dog feces is against my city's "Refuse Guidelines". I still do it, rebel that I am! My friend does take her bags of doggie poop inside and empties them into the toilet.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #101
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:

I'm going to assume you're not the kind of person who lets their dog go anywhere they please and then leaves it so other people can step in it. So with that in mind...

In theory, yes. I know one dog owner who uses a scoop and carries it back to her house to flush. She disapproves of me using regular old doggie bags. I also know someone else who's trained her dog to go in one particular spot at the same time every day, which I suppose makes disposing of the poo very easy.

Me, I just scoop and poop. Carry it to the nearest garbage receptacle (which might be right there, or it might be five blocks away), quick check to make sure there isn't a bylaw officer standing behind me, and toss it in. If I'm close to home it goes into a bin that sits outside and is emptied into the general trash once a week. Because I'm just that kind of irresponsible, non-civic minded, rebel.

In practice, very few people flush their dog poo. However, most everyone I know flushes their baby poo, since the toilet's usually right close by when you're changing baby anyway. It's not like it's much of a hassle, so why not do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevschickee View Post
That will be the day I flush my dogs poop lol

I figure I'll do it when they start making affordable flushable doggie bags that I can buy in my grocery store and which won't clog up my toilet!

(I'm all about making things easier when it comes to child rearing/pet owning, which is why I happily cloth diapered at home and then used disposables on long trips.)
Old 04-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #102
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

What I really want to know is how many of you use cloth diapers on your dogs.

I've never been so glad to have cats.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #103
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

One thing I am not getting about this thread is the OP asked for ideas for cloth diapering at Disney. I use disposables when I travel as well, but the OP asked specifically for cloth diapering options.
I completely understand the convenience of using disposables while traveling, however this thread has turned into "I don't use them when I travel, so neither should you," and "Washing dirty diapers in a washing machine or sink is disgusting." This thread is ten pages long, and has turned into an argument about washing poopy diapers:/

Sorry, had to get that out!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #104
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgeisler View Post
One thing I am not getting about this thread is the OP asked for ideas for cloth diapering at Disney. I use disposables when I travel as well, but the OP asked specifically for cloth diapering options.
I completely understand the convenience of using disposables while traveling, however this thread has turned into "I don't use them when I travel, so neither should you," and "Washing dirty diapers in a washing machine or sink is disgusting." This thread is ten pages long, and has turned into an argument about washing poopy diapers:/

Sorry, had to get that out!
I think it's because the OP isn't actually looking for suggestions for herself. She's a doula, looking to advise new mothers on the best approach to cloth diapering while travelling at Disney.

And to that, many folks are responding, "Don't. Just use disposables!"

The fact that some crunchy granola cloth diapering types will choose to use disposables while travelling is actually relevant to her question. It's an alternative her clients can consider. And if they choose to cloth diaper in a theme park, they'll be able to go in knowing some of the potential pitfalls (like broken washing machines, running out of quarters, potential theme park touring time lost to laundry, storage of wet/dirty diapers, etc...) and hopefully can figure out ways to circumvent them.

Not to mention, there's been some useful info on hybrid diapers on here, which is a third option.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #105
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie

I think it's because the OP isn't actually looking for suggestions for herself. She's a doula, looking to advise new mothers on the best approach to cloth diapering while travelling at Disney.

And to that, many folks are responding, "Don't. Just use disposables!"

The fact that some crunchy granola cloth diapering types will choose to use disposables while travelling is actually relevant to her question. It's an alternative her clients can consider. And if they choose to cloth diaper in a theme park, they'll be able to go in knowing some of the potential pitfalls (like broken washing machines, running out of quarters, potential theme park touring time lost to laundry, storage of wet/dirty diapers, etc...) and hopefully can figure out ways to circumvent them.

Not to mention, there's been some useful info on hybrid diapers on here, which is a third option.
I get that she's a doula, but I guess the way I read it was she was looking for just cloth ideas, and the positives and negatives for different types of cloth diapering while traveling.
Some people did have interesting suggestions. I just feel as if the thread has gone a totally different direction...
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: