Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #61
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
I hope I didn't come off meanly sarcastic there. The tone is 'genuine surprise' not 'unkind sarcasm' if that isn't clear :-)
I don't agree with your point (perhaps because you haven't fleshed it out), but didn't find your post to be 'meanly sarcastic'.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #62
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevschickee View Post
I didn't see it like that
Good thing it's been clarified, then!

For the record, I love Disney. I believe they try to be environmentally sensitive, as much as possible while still respecting the bottom line. They do all they can.

But it's simple common sense - a theme park is NOT an boon to the environment. You've got tens of thousands of people, and all their garbage. You have shopping and entertainment and the need to keep all that air-conditioned. You're not sustainable, practically everything's disposable, and most of your food, sanitation, work force, etc, have to be shipped in from outside. You have mind-bogglingly huge power and water needs!

Truly environmentally conscious people do not patronize theme parks, especially if they have to hop a plane or drive to get there. They go camping just outside their own town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
If the concern is about the environmental impact of the week's worth of disposables, then I'd consider making a small donation to an environmental charity to offset the impact. Win-win!
I love this compromise!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #63
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

Joining the discussion mainly to get ideas for a cloth-diapering friend of mine who's going to Disney this fall and doesn't know what best to do.

However, we use hybrid diapers ourselves with the non-cloth inserts. I don't intend to do Disney with the kid until she's out of diapers, but if I had to, I'd probably stick with the hybrids. You can't flush the inserts at the parks (unless you carry a stick with you to swish around in the toilet), but you could just drop them in a ziploc for the day and take care of it once you were back in the room. Or you could throw them away, they're no more environment unfriendly than a disposable diaper. No more difficult than disposables, really.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza (coming Nov/Dec 2015)
Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #64
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie

Good thing it's been clarified, then!

For the record, I love Disney. I believe they try to be environmentally sensitive, as much as possible while still respecting the bottom line. They do all they can.

But it's simple common sense - a theme park is NOT an boon to the environment. You've got tens of thousands of people, and all their garbage. You have shopping and entertainment and the need to keep all that air-conditioned. You're not sustainable, practically everything's disposable, and most of your food, sanitation, work force, etc, have to be shipped in from outside. You have mind-bogglingly huge power and water needs!

Truly enviromentally conscious people do not patronize theme parks, especially if they have to hop a plane or drive to get there. They go camping just outside their own town.
I totally agree.

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
Old 04-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #65
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

Ick, I really hope people aren't washing nappies in the sinks. That's so gross.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Old 04-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #66
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly View Post
Ick, I really hope people aren't washing nappies in the sinks. That's so gross.
i agree! who in the world wants to drag along wet smelly dirty ones with them? or even save enough of them to wash?? that room has got to smellll!

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
Old 04-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #67
sarahlovesmickey
I could probably make Shake N Bake from all the crumbs I have in my keyboard
My DH thinks I'm "Doing the Naughty" on the Budget Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
This thread is making me Not want to use the washers and dryers in our villa!!!
Me too! We rent a condo off Disney property but I can just imagine what goes in those washers. I'm so FOR disposable diapers! LOL I can't imagine carrying around wet, soiled cloth diapers all day.

~~Sarah~Proud ARMY wife and mother of 5 (soon to be 6!) Disney lovers!!!!~~
-DH -me -Bailey(11) -Madelyn(9) -Logan(6) Carter (4) Isabella (2) - Emily
MARCH 1st-7th--DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-2nd HONEYMOON!

2005-Stayed at WestGate Vacation Villas and Westgate Town Center/ 2007 May 5-19- Stayed at Horizons by Marriott/ 2009-April 18-May 2-Sheraton Vistana Villages/ 2010-February-Stayed at Blue Heron Beach Resort/ 2011-January 23-28-Stayed at Red Roof Inn Kissimmee(a VERY Budget friendly trip)/ 2013-April 16-27-Legacy Vacation Resort
Old 04-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #68
Magpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlovesmickey View Post
Me too! We rent a condo off Disney property but I can just imagine what goes in those washers. I'm so FOR disposable diapers! LOL I can't imagine carrying around wet, soiled cloth diapers all day.
Carrying them around for a day in a sealed waterproof bag's not so bad, if you have a diaper bin to dump them in when you get home and a diaper service to take them away and wash them for you. It's just a hassle when you're going back to a hotel room and there's no service and you have to wash them yourself. (Just what I want to be doing after a long hot day at the parks!)

And, as others have pointed out, there are now hybrid options with all the benefits of cloth and the convenience of disposables.

Also, the age of the baby will determine how awful the diapers are. Tiny, completely breastfed infants have pretty inoffensive poos. But the diapers of 18 month olds are downright nasty.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #69
sarahlovesmickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Carrying them around for a day in a sealed waterproof bag's not so bad, if you have a diaper bin to dump them in when you get home and a diaper service to take them away and wash them for you. It's just a hassle when you're going back to a hotel room and there's no service and you have to wash them yourself. (Just what I want to be doing after a long hot day at the parks!)

And, as others have pointed out, there are now hybrid options with all the benefits of cloth and the convenience of disposables.

Also, the age of the baby will determine how awful the diapers are. Tiny, completely breastfed infants have pretty inoffensive poos. But the diapers of 18 month olds are downright nasty.
Yeah, I've NEVER been convinced to EVER switch to cloth diapers. I've always used disposables and will with my next baby. I can't imagine scraping poop out of a cloth diaper. Heck, if any of my kids have an accident, I just throw the underwear out! It's just not worth it to me to scrape and clean...

2005-Stayed at WestGate Vacation Villas and Westgate Town Center/ 2007 May 5-19- Stayed at Horizons by Marriott/ 2009-April 18-May 2-Sheraton Vistana Villages/ 2010-February-Stayed at Blue Heron Beach Resort/ 2011-January 23-28-Stayed at Red Roof Inn Kissimmee(a VERY Budget friendly trip)/ 2013-April 16-27-Legacy Vacation Resort
Old 04-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #70
Magpie

Quote:
Yeah, I've NEVER been convinced to EVER switch to cloth diapers. I've always used disposables and will with my next baby. I can't imagine scraping poop out of a cloth diaper. Heck, if any of my kids have an accident, I just throw the underwear out! It's just not worth it to me to scrape and clean...
I know you won't change your mind, but I just want to clarify what cloth diapering is really like.

There's no "scraping" involved. For one thing, breastfed baby poo is pretty darn liquid and would just soak into the diaper insert. So all I ever did was roll up the insert and pop it in a plastic bag until we got home. Whereupon I'd turn the bag inside out and the insert would fall into the diaper bin, at which point it was someone else's problem. (Yes, I LOVED my diaper service!)

Later, when my babies started eating solids in addition to being breastfed (around 10 months or so), all I'd do is hold the insert by both ends over a toilet, give it a little shake, and anything solid would just fall into the toilet with a plop. Then roll and toss, just like before.

With a diaper service, cloth was just as convenient as disposables. They never left gel stuck to my baby's bottom. And they smelled nicer. And looked cuter. And never caused any kind of diaper rash. Toilet training was dead easy, too.

For me, cloth diapering was all about making my life easier.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #71
brooke789
Mouseketeer

I've cloth diapered two kids for almost 3 years and I've never once had to 'scrape poop'.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #72
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyL View Post
Two things....

1) I feel bad for the security person at bag check that has to check a wet bag

2) For folks that normally cloth diaper but choose to use disposables on vacation: Use decent disposables, not the super cheap kind (you get what you pay for). I don't CD and my DD has been in Pampers since birth. We've had maybe 10 diaper leaks EVER (she's 19 months), and most of those were when she was really little and the diapers were still big on her.

1) We say to security "we cloth diaper and that's our bag of soiled diapers" and they simply leave it alone. It's seldom a problem because unless we're park hopping without going to the hotel in between, diapers are only wet on the way *out* of the park.

On the disposables... if it works for you, so be it, but we found that sposies did not make life more pleasant on vacation. We did a week in DL with our kiddo in cloth and did one load of laundry and were just fine. I made sure the dipes were stripped before we went and simply followed our usual routine which means a wash about every 3-4 days. We did a double wash and a double dry in the hotel machines and were just fine.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #73
sassie_kat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You do know that you're supposed to shake the solid poo into the toilet before disposing of your diapers, right?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #74
sarahlovesmickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie_kat View Post
You do know that you're supposed to shake the solid poo into the toilet before disposing of your diapers, right?
HUH??? Are you referring to disposable or cloth diapers here?

Old 04-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #75
sassie_kat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
HUH??? Are you referring to disposable or cloth diapers here?
Disposable. If you don't, you are wrapping up that nice solid body waste to sit in a plastic diaper that is going to take years to decompose and that lovely poo will still be sitting in the landfill.

I used disposables for all three of my kids and the only time I didn't do the shake before throwing away was when my babies were still exclusively breastfed. Once they started eating and their poos became solid, it got shaken into the toilet.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: