Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #31
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudacris View Post
You'll want to run a load of bleach as the first no matter what. You wouldn't believe what grows in a washing machine, cloth diapers or no.
Respectfully, I'm not buying it. The beauty of the washing machine is that it gets washed every single time that it's used and bleached about a quarter of the time. Nothing is growing in there.

It should also be noted that those who wash their cloth diapers in the washers (or the sinks) are not doing anything that every parent hasn't done when their little Pumba's diaper has had a catastrophic failure. (Parenting is not for the weak of stomach.)
Old 04-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #32
CourtneyL
Mouseketeer

Two things....

1) I feel bad for the security person at bag check that has to check a wet bag

2) For folks that normally cloth diaper but choose to use disposables on vacation: Use decent disposables, not the super cheap kind (you get what you pay for). I don't CD and my DD has been in Pampers since birth. We've had maybe 10 diaper leaks EVER (she's 19 months), and most of those were when she was really little and the diapers were still big on her.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #33
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevschickee View Post
Lol I agree about the undies. I don't pee and poop in mine.
You don't typically, but I'd bet that you have in the past. Ask your Mom.

Edited to add that given the ages of your children, I have no doubt that you have been confronted with pee and poop outside of a diaper.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #34
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio

You don't typically, but I'd bet that you have in the past. Ask your Mom.
Oh no doubt but I can guarantee she didn't wash them in a public washer. As I never did with mine.

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
Old 04-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #35
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyL View Post
Two things....

1) I feel bad for the security person at bag check that has to check a wet bag
I'm thinking that when they go through bag check that the wet bags are clean. Plus, it's not as if the bag check people actually open and check every item. Many times, we have gone through with either a camera backpack or a diaper bag and the security person barely looked inside. They didn't poke around to see if anything was concealed or open any smaller compartments or zippered items such as telephoto lens cases, bottle cozies, wipe covers, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyL View Post
2) For folks that normally cloth diaper but choose to use disposables on vacation: Use decent disposables, not the super cheap kind (you get what you pay for). I don't CD and my DD has been in Pampers since birth. We've had maybe 10 diaper leaks EVER (she's 19 months), and most of those were when she was really little and the diapers were still big on her.
We used Pampers through size 2-3, I think. Then they started to leak and, on the advice of a friend, we switched to Target brand which were awesome.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #36
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Our youngest daughter is a hiker, mountain climber, marathon runner, very "green" mom, and while she uses cloth while camping, she uses disposable in the parks. Good luck!

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #37
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
Respectfully, I'm not buying it. The beauty of the washing machine is that it gets washed every single time that it's used and bleached about a quarter of the time. Nothing is growing in there.
There is a possibility of stuff being left behind if there was lots of cr*p on the clothes prior to washing. Even in a washing machine, especially front loaders. Things don't always get entirely rinsed out. And if I am using a washing machine at a resort, I have no idea what was washed in their prior, or how often the washing machine is cleaned. (Yes, even washing machines need cleaning).
Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #38
Pseudacris
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post

It should also be noted that those who wash their cloth diapers in the washers (or the sinks) are not doing anything that every parent hasn't done when their little Pumba's diaper has had a catastrophic failure. (Parenting is not for the weak of stomach.)
(Disclaimer: I am a biology professor) There have been numerous studies conducted of commercial, hospital, and domestic laundering practices in respect to bacterial and viral survival and transfer. Salmonella, coliforms (incl. E coli), and shigella, along with adenovirus, rotavirus, and Hepatitis A have all been found not only inside the washing machine drum itself, but also on hands transferring laundry to the dryer and on clothes as well. Coliforms can be killed in the dryer, since they require moisture, but salmonella and many viruses have been found on clothing at temperatures up to 130F.

Like I said, I cloth diapered for a while, so I don't think that everyone needs to constantly bleach their washing machine. But, running a bleach load before washing your clothes in an unknown washing machine isn't the worst idea.

Here are some peer reviewed journal articles that have full text available for the public (if anyone is actually interested at all):

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...96655399700404

This one was published for mass consumption, but Charles Gerba has written literally hundreds of articles on the subject.
http://hpc-today.teknoscienze.com/pd..._HPC2_2011.pdf

And a couple of succinct abstracts:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3647942

http://aem.asm.org/content/73/14/4425.short
Old 04-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #39
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

If this thread eeks you out because a child's diaper might have been washed in the Disney washer you're about to use - you might consider what else may have been in there. Vomit, blood, any other bodily fluid... I would worry way more about trace residues from grown-up stuff than a little baby pee, lol. Not to mention toileting accidents or bed wetting even from non-CDers... If you're gonna bleach, don't just think about the baby poo.

Anyways, to whomever suggested name brand diapers don't leak, I respectfully disagree. I nanny for a 5m old baby who blows out her diaper every third change or so. Always out the back, sometimes up the legs. She's in either Huggies or Pampers, can't remember which. And yes, her soiled (rinsed and stain-treated) clothes go in the family washer, which I've even thrown my own stuff into a time or two.

Anyways, good luck to the CDers who want to keep it up while at WDW! My kids will be CD'd but I don't know if I'd be brave enough to haul the gear around the parks!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #40
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post
There is a possibility of stuff being left behind if there was lots of cr*p on the clothes prior to washing. Even in a washing machine, especially front loaders. Things don't always get entirely rinsed out. And if I am using a washing machine at a resort, I have no idea what was washed in their prior, or how often the washing machine is cleaned. (Yes, even washing machines need cleaning).
The bold part is true regardless of whether the OP's friend chooses to use cloth diapers.

I'm also still not buying the 'washers need to be cleaned' theory. Our washer is probably going on ten years old. We have never taken any steps to clean it (outside of it's normal duties). Even with this lack of care on our part, the washer doesn't smell or have any recognizable 'growth'.

It should be noted that my wife had informed me that some HE washers need extra care to keep mold from growing in them. The tiniest bit of internet research leads me to the conclusion that this mold is caused by the fact that their doors close too tightly. The issue can be managed in a few ways such as 1) leave the door ajar (This would not work in my house as one of my kids would lock the other in the washer and probably turn it on.), 2) occasionally wipe down the door's seal with a bleachy product (it's the door seal that gets funky because it isn't washed every single time that the washer is used), 3) use the washer frequently. (We had six kids in my family. There was not a day that went by that a load of clothes wasn't being washed. There would be no mold in our washer, if HE washers had been the norm way back then.) That being said, the public washers at the resorts get tons of use. I seriously doubt that they have much time for their to be mold growth in them.

It should be noted that this mold growth on the door seals of some HE washers does not mean that these washers do not adequately rinse away whatever funkiness was washed off the clothes. I'll not stress one moment over the possibility that some minute particle of some previous wash remains in the washer. The only logical conclusion to such worry is to NEVER use a public clothes washer since you will never be sure of what was washed by previous users.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #41
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevschickee

Do you wash them in the sink at the park? Do you clean it with bleach after?
That's what a wet bag is for.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #42
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyJ517
I would not wash my diapers out in the sink at the park, not where people are washing hands and where there is no way to really clean it. I would simply put the "solids" in the toilet, and then put the diaper into my wetbag (a sealed, waterproof, zippered bag) and back into my diaper bag until i get back to the resort.
This.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #43
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Country View Post
I didnt even know Cloth Diapers still existed. My mother used them on me but that was 35 years ago.
Wow, are you ever out of the loop!

Cloth diapers never went away, and a diaper service can actually be just as easy as disposables. And cheaper, especially if you'd be buying expensive, premium, healthy disposable diapers anyway.

Seventeen years ago, we had adorable breathable (and yet waterproof!) velcro cloth bottoms and inserts. When the baby needed changing, we'd whip the insert out, drop it in the diaper bin, and put a new one in. The bin had a good filter that meant the smell stayed inside and didn't escape into the house. The cloth bottoms went into the laundry with all the other clothes (they really didn't get too dirty as the inserts soaked up everything). And every Tuesday the diaper company came by, took our bin full of dirty inserts off to be laundered, and gave us an enormous stack of new ones.

No muss, no fuss! And my babies especially enjoyed the thick padding on their bums when they were learning to walk. It made falling down on their seat much less ouchy.

When the time comes, I'll be buying a diaper service for my grandkids, same as my mom did for me, and her mom did for her.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #44
linzbear
Flirts with Chip

My kids were in prefolds & covers from the day they were born. I used disposables in the parks (both Target and Huggies brand, neither of them ever leaked). I did use reusable swim diapers though.

As for the washing machines, usually the washing machine of a cloth diaper user is actually cleaner than one who does not. We have to thoroughly clean the diapers, rinse them, get all of the soap residue off of them, etc, or they will cause rashes as soon as pee/poop hits the diaper and they're now sitting in it. So what comes out of the washer is for sure completely clean.

On the other hand, most people fart, my kids still leave skid marks (or 'oops, that wasn't a fart!'), and that stuff all gets thrown in the washer. And what comes out is clean enough.

Why do you think laundry soaps have fragrance? It's because we expect clean clothes to smell like soap. Remember how soap works - it binds to the yuck stuff and the water washes it away. Now, if you're still smelling soap on your clothes, what else may still be on there?
04/92 - CBR | 03/94 - Offsite | 03/03 - VWL | 05/05 - BWV | 05/06 - DLR | 12/06 - VWL | 04/07 - BCV | 10/07 - OKW/AKV | 12/07 - VWL | 09/08 - OKW | 10/09 - AKV | 11/10 - AKV/VWL | 10/11 - BLT/Swan | 5/13 - VWL
Planned:
Nothin' yet.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #45
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Wow, are you ever out of the loop!

Cloth diapers never went away, and a diaper service can actually be just as easy as disposables. And cheaper, especially if you'd be buying expensive, premium, healthy disposable diapers anyway.

Seventeen years ago, we had adorable breathable (and yet waterproof!) velcro cloth bottoms and inserts. When the baby needed changing, we'd whip the insert out, drop it in the diaper bin, and put a new one in. The bin had a good filter that meant the smell stayed inside and didn't escape into the house. The cloth bottoms went into the laundry with all the other clothes (they really didn't get too dirty as the inserts soaked up everything). And every Tuesday the diaper company came by, took our bin full of dirty inserts off to be laundered, and gave us an enormous stack of new ones.

No muss, no fuss!
Cloth diapers are nearly as easy as disposables when you are at home. The only real extra is that you are laundering the cloth bottoms. Your chucking the inserts into your diaper bin is no different than others tossing a dirty disposable into a diaper genie.

The extra work related to cloth diapers is kind of the point to this thread. When you are away from home, disposables become far easier than CDs. CD users need a plan for how dirties are going to be handled. The plan for disposable users has exactly one step: Throw out old diaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
And my babies especially enjoyed the thick padding on their bums when they were learning to walk. It made falling down on their seat much less ouchy.
That's actually not any different. Disposable diapers pad a baby's bottom.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: